Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

2 hours ago, dyst said:

I dearly miss when tv was less about screaming or opinions and more about stating actual news. I have no desire to watch any pre-game shows but its more style over substance and that sucks. 

I feel like an old man but I do agree. So many pre-game, in-game announcers and sport talk radio personalities are now geared towards a younger audience.  I think it's great that woman are now getting these opportunities but unfortunately I can't stand any of them. They try to be too hip with slang talk.   I liked the old way better than all this schtick.  

2 hours ago, dyst said:

I dearly miss when tv was less about screaming or opinions and more about stating actual news. I have no desire to watch any pre-game shows but its more style over substance and that sucks. 

"You are looking live, at sold out RFK stadium, where the 7 and 4 Washington Redskins take on the 3 and 8 St. Louis Cardinals.  Let's go to Jimmy the Greek for his thoughts on this game."  "Brent, I just hate the Redskins and it's obvious when I make a prediction like the 3 and 8 Cardinals going into one of the toughest stadiums in the world and throttling the Redskins."  Washington 30, St. Louis 28.

I loved those really long boards they had where they compared everything between the two teams - every position, intangibles, etc.  But it was obvious the Greek disliked Washington.

34 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If we are looking for the next Brissett, just sign him in FA.  I have higher hopes than finding just a guy. 

Its not necessarily about finding the next Brissett. Its about finding somebody who may not be an all pro their rookie year, but can grow into one. I brought up Dak because what I remember about his story is that he was considered mediocre before last year when he went on a tear. Maybe his stats didn't show it. So maybe I should say Andy Dalton. Problem with that is that I'll say Andy Dalton and you'll think about his career and think mayonnaise. But he came in as a rookie and led his team to a 9-7 record, albeit with mediocre stats. He never became the franchise guy but thats not to say that the next guy's career will parallel Dalton's. I just want somebody who can play as a rookie and create plays outside the pocket. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sprcr said:

You know, I get that wasnt a great play by Trask, but observe that's also 31 points on the board vs Alabama.  Which has been a pretty decent unit for the last decade.  If we can get Trask in the second, or trade back and get him.. I wouldnt be mad.

That was exactly my reaction. I don't know the details of that game, but if all (or even most) of those 31 points were scored by the Florida offense, then cherry picking that play to dis Trask is not too well thought out in my opinion.

These are all the QB's that I can recall, at some point discussed as a possibility for WFT, either as a FA signing, or a trade.

I put them into 2 categories of my personal interest.

Most, not all, of these QB's in the first list, I would just be "okay with". I wouldn't be super excited about getting them, but I would not be upset either.

And the other contingency is, as long as the price is right, and not an outrageous salary or compensation.

In no particular order :

Marcus Mariota

Russell Wilson

Jacoby Brissett

Derek Carr

Teddy Bridgewater

Jimmy G

Matt Ryan (with hesitancy)

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Tyrod Taylor

These QB's I would say No to, and not necessarily because of the talent level. Some QB's would be a No, for other reasons, such as my expectation they would cripple us, either in the salary effect/demands, and/or compensation.

In no particular order :

Dak Prescott

Mitch Trubisky

Sam Darnold

Cam Newton

Ben Roethlisberger

DeShaun Watson

Jameis Winston

Feel free to disagree ; as that's inevitable, with such a long list of QB's addressed, and so many fans around here with diverse opinions :)

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Mond at 7.1 YPA and only 63% completion percentage draws some pause from me. 

Meanwhile, Mac Jones has 11.2 YPA to go along with 77% completion percentage. That's actually nuts honestly. 

but look at the talent that he was throwing to and RB that was lining up behind him.

not saying Mac Jones will be a terrible QB but you need to evaluate him based on something more than numbers...

I'm glad to hear they are not in the Watson derby, that cost would have been prohibitive.  In no way do I want them to give up picks for  Darnold or Carr. I like the idea of building draft capital and rolling with Taylor/Allen for a season.  If only next year's QB class was better, not sure who they would target as a vet QB with draft picks as trade bait.  Who would that be?  Probably nobody worth trading for in most instances unless they can find the next Mark Brunnel (Jacksonville version) sitting behind a star QB.  

18 minutes ago, sjinhan said:

but look at the talent that he was throwing to and RB that was lining up behind him.

not saying Mac Jones will be a terrible QB but you need to evaluate him based on something more than numbers...

Obviously the talent around him helps but he also played an All-SEC schedule and dominated his last 3 opponents. It's not like Mac Jones and Alabama played against talentless scrub teams. Joe Burrow played on a dominant LSU team considered to be one of the best of all-time. The good scouts can determine what the differences are between these two guys despite both playing on supremely talented teams. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

34 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Its not necessarily about finding the next Brissett. Its about finding somebody who may not be an all pro their rookie year, but can grow into one. I brought up Dak because what I remember about his story is that he was considered mediocre before last year when he went on a tear. Maybe his stats didn't show it. So maybe I should say Andy Dalton. Problem with that is that I'll say Andy Dalton and you'll think about his career and think mayonnaise. But he came in as a rookie and led his team to a 9-7 record, albeit with mediocre stats. He never became the franchise guy but thats not to say that the next guy's career will parallel Dalton's. I just want somebody who can play as a rookie and create plays outside the pocket. 

If i am reading you right all you are saying here is you'll find a franchise Qb but it will just take him some time to become a stud versus them hitting the ground from the jump ala Josh Allen.   But the narrative about 3rd round type QBs isn't hey there have been plenty of franchise QB, there is a really good hit rate but its just a process for them to become franchise QBs.  Sounds cool but that's not how its worked either.  These guys have been busts versus stud QBs over time. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If i am reading you right all you are saying here is you'll find a franchise Qb but it will just take him some time to become a stud versus them hitting the ground from the jump ala Josh Allen.   But the narrative about 3rd round type QBs isn't hey there have been plenty of franchise QB, there is a really good hit rate but its just a process for them to become franchise QBs.  Sounds cool but that's not how its worked either.  These guys have been busts versus stud QBs over time. 

Something like that. The main reason I want a rookie QB is in case TH and KA suck or get hurt. Then we can go with a rookie to grow. Will he be an all pro? Unlikely. Very unlikely. But it's not unreasonable for the rookie to look decent. And if that's the case the rookie can give us some options going into next year once we're confident that KA and TH aren't the guys. And we can address the position again next year if need be. 

You can say it's kicking the can down the road, but i don't see many guys as improvements over what we have. Maybe one of the top 4 in the draft, but that's it at this point. Not Mariota, or Dalton or Fitz or Trib. So I'm looking for a third string QB to be better than Smith and Montez. 

2 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Maybe Dak was a high bar as well. I'll stick with Hurts as a good bar. Or look at Jacoby Brissett's second year (first with Indy). He went 4-11, but had 58.8 completion percentage, 3000 yards, 13TDs 7 Ints, 260 yards rushing and 4TDs on 4 yards per run. 

Nothing spectacular but something that says he can be a starter or a good backup in the league. 

There’s no reason to spend a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a Brissett type at all, it’s a waste and you’re still in QB purgatory.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

IMO beating around to find a formula for successful late round QBs is likely futile.  No one has cracked that code yet. 

You obviously don’t remember AtlantaSkinsfan, his unbeatable algorithm, and the next Brady...Greg McElroy. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Something like that. The main reason I want a rookie QB is in case TH and KA suck or get hurt. Then we can go with a rookie to grow. Will he be an all pro? Unlikely. Very unlikely. But it's not unreasonable for the rookie to look decent. And if that's the case the rookie can give us some options going into next year once we're confident that KA and TH aren't the guys. And we can address the position again next year if need be. 

You can say it's kicking the can down the road, but i don't see many guys as improvements over what we have. Maybe one of the top 4 in the draft, but that's it at this point. Not Mariota, or Dalton or Fitz or Trib. So I'm looking for a third string QB to be better than Smith and Montez. 

I wouldn't take a QB just to take a QB.  Most QBs taken in that range aren't even decent, they are mostly busts.  You got an opportunity to upgrade the supporting cast with players that actually have a decent chance of succsss so why throw that away on a lottery long shot?   But again if its a 4th-7th rounder, depending on who is there, fine.  Not a 2nd or 3rd rounder.  

6 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

You obviously don’t remember AtlantaSkinsfan, his unbeatable algorithm, and the next Brady...Greg McElroy. 

lol, I remember him well.  I recall his "algorithm" actually indicated to him that Cam Newton would be a bust. 😀

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I'm glad to hear they are not in the Watson derby, that cost would have been prohibitive.  In no way do I want them to give up picks for  Darnold or Carr. I like the idea of building draft capital and rolling with Taylor/Allen for a season.  If only next year's QB class was better, not sure who they would target as a vet QB with draft picks as trade bait.  Who would that be?  Probably nobody worth trading for in most instances unless they can find the next Mark Brunnel (Jacksonville version) sitting behind a star QB.  

As for veterans, I gather maybe Wilson, Rodgers, Ryan.

Ryan's contract has an escape clause then.  Not that I am jazzed about him but I'd bet money he hits the market.   Wilson supposedly is easier to trade then as for his contract versus now.  it could end up a dud veteran market too but those would be my guesses as possibilities with Ryan likely being the only one almost for sure being available depending on Atlanta taking a Qb in this draft. 

As for Dak if they tag him again it might be prohibitive to tag him a third time.  Though I read today there is some optimism that they reach a deal with him in the end. 

But yeah the QB market is rarely attractive any year unless you got a high draft pick.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

26 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I can't believe there might actually be a bidding war for Marcus freaking Mariota.

I believe it...when I look at how weak the QB market is in supply - in quality, not quantity.

Combined with the huge demand. I can't remember the last time, this many teams were shopping for a QB in the offseason.

Only a handful, it seems, are considered 'set' with their starting QB.

Off topic, whenever I hear the name Mond, I think of a draft pick we made years ago, on a DL, who probably noone remembers, since he didn't amount to anything, and it was 20 years ago.

4 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Mac Attack Jones is coming and you better stand by for the coming of the dynasty!

If he's so great, then why doesn't he have a Hive ? 😛

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

There’s no reason to spend a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a Brissett type at all, it’s a waste and you’re still in QB purgatory.

I remember ASF very well. I loved him, but he seemed to get emotional about things. It wasn't easy to have discussions with him, not that I tried too often. I would often see his threads and people (I think Oldfan) would counter and he'd argue

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

There’s no reason to spend a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a Brissett type at all, it’s a waste and you’re still in QB purgatory

I disagree. Every draft has guys who have a high probability of success and guys who could be steals. The question is how do you Macanudo the chance of a steal. Guys like Mond Newman, Brissett etc all have qualities but drawbacks. The question is can they overcome their drawbacks? 

4 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

It's funny how often I think of that. McElroy was the next Brady and boy, were we all idiots for doubting it. 

i loved McElroy because of him

Everyone keeps saying next years QB class is bad. But you have to remember a few guys are going to have outstanding years. Wilson, Lance and Jones had one good year each. And Lance is a top 10 prospect off of 300 career passes. There will be good QB's in next years draft. Just like there are every year. Some of the guys have had 2 good years already. Dillon Gabriel and Sam Howell come to mind. 

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Mond at 7.1 YPA and only 63% completion percentage draws some pause from me. 

Meanwhile, Mac Jones has 11.2 YPA to go along with 77% completion percentage. That's actually nuts honestly. 

Yeah those numbers are scary for Mond and great for Jones. My problem is how will Jones do with a pass rush. Mond may check down more often and not really be more than Alex Smith from 2018 if we're lucky. But Jones may get Derek Carred or Patrick Ramseyed