Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

18 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I wonder if it's possible, that by waiting until after June 1st to cut Alex, if that leaves open the possibility for them to see how both Free Agency and the Draft go, and if they're disappointed in their ability to acquire another QB during that time, if they decide to actually keep him at that point.

Almost like a grace period or cushion, to determine how successful the team is in finding a "replacement", before making that decision and action on Alex ?

I see pretty much no way they keep Alex for almost $25 million this year. I'm guessing if he wants to stay he'd have to take a pretty big pay cut. And nobody is going to take that contract in a trade. I think everyone and their dog knows that Smith's time is likely up here. 

28 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I wonder if it's possible, that by waiting until after June 1st to cut Alex, if that leaves open the possibility for them to see how both Free Agency and the Draft go, and if they're disappointed in their ability to acquire another QB during that time, if they decide to actually keep him at that point.

Almost like a grace period or cushion, to determine how successful the team is in finding a "replacement", before making that decision and action on Alex ?

no once they declare him a post June-1st cut he’s gone that day. Cap just hits then. Unless you’re suggesting they don’t cut him and wait until June. 

• Like 1

Maybe Tua just isn't a leader. Mac Jones might get players to play harder for him? 

Could be something, could be nothing. But one thing is for sure, Miami seems luke warm on Tua at best and that's a bit concerning. His rookie season was okay, but there seems to be more there that doesn't have people sold on him. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

3 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Doesn't surprise me at all.  Waddle and Smith highlight reels are full of him reading defenses, manipulating coverage and dropping dimes. He seems to be a real likeable guy as well.   I would bet Saban would say it too if you got him in private. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Orlovsky here saying Mac Jones has the best tape of any of the QBs in this draft.  But I recall he was totally smitten by Haskins.  And also recently say Zach Wilson isn't an improvement over Sam Darnold and meant it as a complement to Darnold.  

Great take. I say the same things when i watch his game. "hes soo good"    Operational mechanics are a good description of it.  His operation mechanics are the best i have seen.

40 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

Mac Jones at 32:30 and Kellen Mond at 43:05

Simms says Kellen Mond is a top 20 pick and the only flaw was that he was a bit robotic and too textbook. Wishes he would play more backyard football like a Mahomes or Wilson. 

Simms said this is a good group overall. Honestly, I'm really excited about this QB class. I'm definitely going to watch Mond again. I noticed that he held the ball high as well but he also has arms that look unusually long, am I the only one that noticed this? He's like a 6-3 Montez Sweat with that arm length. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Think so.

So....I reckon we can now blow our 40m in space...safe in the knowledge come June 1st we get 19m added back to cover late offseason moves / in season head room.

I also wonder if there's a way that we could resign Scherff and take it out of the June 1st money and not out of our current salary cap. 

7 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Releasing Alex Smith, makes me feel like Rivera does not want to win now.

I know that statement doesn't make sense in light of other things.

But if you look at that scenario alone ;

Letting go a successful veteran, to instead go with what will likely be 3 or 4 unproven, extremely young QB's in camp (Allen, Heinicke, Montez, and Rookie Draft Pick)

Smith isn't a starter anymore in this league, so not sure how it has any bearing on "winning now". That's without getting into the fact he's grossly overpaid. He's basically a glorified coach at this point. A great guy to have, but not play. I'm sure he'll get a back-up job somewhere, but he's not a guy who should affect any team's ability to "win now".

19 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Simms says Kellen Mond is a top 20 pick and the only flaw was that he was a bit robotic and too textbook. Wishes he would play more backyard football like a Mahomes or Wilson. 

Simms said this is a good group overall. Honestly, I'm really excited about this QB class. I'm definitely going to watch Mond again. I noticed that he held the ball high as well but he also has arms that look unusually long, am I the only one that noticed this? He's like a 6-3 Montez Sweat with that arm length. 

This is interesting and something I noticed a bit as well when watching Mond. It actually reminded me a little of Aaron Rodgers when he was at Cal. His play was also super robotic and "textbook". Arm up high, elbow out, ball held right next to the ear hole of the helmet. Still a great college player but once he got to the NFL Mike McCarthy basically reworked his mechanics in his "Quarterback school" to where he had Rodgers hold the ball a bit lower and throw in a more natural and less robotic way. 

• Like 1

I'd also add that any QB you draft after Round 1, you are drafting to be a back-up. That does not mean they HAVE to be a back-up. But that's the expectation. Sure, once in a blue moon those picks pan out to be decent to good players. But it's pretty rare occurrence and no team should be banking on those picks as a real plan. It's more of a bonus if it turns out that way. So when people talk about guys like Mond or Trask or Newman. None of those are really expected starters. They're basically back-ups that you take a flyer on and maybe get lucky (but probably don't). 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mistertim said:

This is interesting and something I noticed a bit as well when watching Mond. It actually reminded me a little of Aaron Rodgers when he was at Cal. His play was also super robotic and "textbook". Arm up high, elbow out, ball held right next to the ear hole of the helmet. Still a great college player but once he got to the NFL Mike McCarthy basically reworked his mechanics in his "Quarterback school" to where he had Rodgers hold the ball a bit lower and throw in a more natural and less robotic way. 

It's really the first thing I noticed with him, his feet aren't super bouncy in the pocket either but that is just a preference that I like because it just lets me know they are operating on a timer (he could do something else that isn't visible honestly). I'm curious if getting a player to play more loose is as easy as it sounds, it almost feels like most would say "oh thank God". He processes the field well and I think that kind of translates into a QB being more comfortable if you know what's going on and know what defenses are doing. 

His throws look pretty though. Simms said the reason for the bad LSU game was because Texas A&Ms offense is pretty predictable and that he thinks some defenses knew where the ball was going. I feel like a lot of people are far too caught up in groupthink, it was kind of ridiculous to see everyone ****ting on Simms for his list lol. Like any of those people on twitter know any better 😆

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

5 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Ok, stupid question, but....does post June 1st cut mean he stays on the team until after June 1st? Or is that just a different type of release and we can cut him whenever?

It used to require the players to actually be on the team until after June 1st to get the dead cap portion moved to following year.  But waiting until June 1st makes it harder for guys to sign with teams since FA and draft happened. 

So several years ago they made the change to cut guys early to give them a chance to sign during normal FA and teams could just make the designation to decide to eat the dead cap all this year (pre-June 1st) or split over 2 years (post). 

With rollover cap, there isn't much reason to not do post.  If you don't use it will still be there later.  Although you can only designate 2 per year, so there is some limit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

So if I understand this correctly - it slightly hurts us financially, up until June 1st...but helps us quite a bit, after June 1st. Is that correct ?

Alex Smith has 2 years of Prorated SB left (About 4.3 mill per year).

Pre-June 1st we eat ~8.6 mill this year, cap number was 23 mill, so ~14mill difference.

Post-June 1st we eat 4.3 mill bonus this year, so with 23 mill cap we save ~19 mill.  But there will be 4.3 mill dead money attached to the 2022 cap.

So we pay all 8.6 mill dead for prorated SB either way, it's just do we do all in one year or over 2.

edit:  https://www.profootballrumors.com/2020/06/the-nfls-post-june-1-cuts-explained

Since there are other comments, heres more if you want to read.  The cap benefit is also now (this article was written June 1st, so I'm wrong).  This is just a designation that benefits team and player.  More cap space now and player enters "normal" free agency timing when teams (historically) have more money.

edit 2:

with all these potential cuts some guys may hold out longer than usual.  I wonder if in a weird year they hope some bargains will remain on the market longer and they can take advantage of this money in June.

Edited by jsharrin55
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1