Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

1 hour ago, oraphus said:

I disagree... it has nothing to do with not wanting to win now.

Reality is that Smith is WAY too expensive for what he is and sees himself as a starter.

Reality for FO is that Smith is all but guaranteed to not be healthy for the full season.. and does not possess the game breaking ability to take this team to the next level. Esp at 24mil. That money can be better used for other parts of the team.

Going back to 2018 at about the March/April time-frame, 2021 was the extend, trade or cut year based on the details of the contract. While the injury made the choice a no-brainer, I don't think it was the primary reason WFT can get out of it early.

48 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

To the contrary, I think it absolutely means he wants to win now.  Alex at his best plodded our way to some wins, and Alex is far from his best these days.  Alex would also stand to make quite a chunk of change.

During his best years, his game was very athletic.  Part of why some say he had so many issues at first is that SFO tried to make him something he was not while Harbaugh and especially Reid played to his strengths.

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Letting go a successful veteran, to instead go with what will likely be 3 or 4 unproven, extremely young QB's in camp (Allen, Heinicke, Montez, and Rookie Draft Pick)

We are going to very likely take swings at several vet QBs before draft day comes around. I think the chances we come out of the draft with a QB room of just Allen, Taylor and rookieX is on the less likely side at the moment.

Even if we end up with a bad veteran QB,  there are just so many available.

between Watson, Fitz, Dak, Dalton, Darnold, Tyrod, Trubisky, Mariota, Brissett, !/Bridgewater, !/Jimmy G we will probably get somebody.

Roster cuts might even add more names to this list

10 minutes ago, CurseReversed said:

The NFL has a serious quality QB shortage and its creating a vacuum.  ... teams are going to be a lot more aggressive drafting the position.  Even an average qb at a rookie salary is a pretty damn attractive option for many teams.   ... and a guy like mac jones who might be the most nfl ready of them all, might go top 10.  This might look like a  pretty smart investment to a qb hungry team in this environment.  

But in 2 years what will you have to show for your investment? Lost draft capital and a low ceiling QB. Sell high, buy low. 

6 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Roster cuts might even add more names to this list

I agree and it's no secret that many teams will be purging their rosters.

4 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

But in 2 years what will you have to show for your investment? Lost draft capital and a low ceiling QB. Sell high, buy low. 

I'm not advocating for any particular guy in the draft or FA but teams cut loose of bad draft picks all the time, like a  Rosen, Trubisky and now Darnold.

Edited by HigSkin

I still want to hear Simms's opinion on Mond and why he has him ranked so highly, im curious. Mond above Fields and Lance is blowing my mind right now, I cant imagine him being better but I wouldn't be upset if we used our 2nd rounder on him or even traded up our 2nd rounder to get him. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

I’m do think that actual cap space on a Post June 1st cut doesn’t actual come into effect until June 1st though. So that 19mil only gets added to our cap at that point.

1 minute ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Ok, stupid question, but....does post June 1st cut mean he stays on the team until after June 1st? Or is that just a different type of release and we can cut him whenever?

No, I think it means he is released now, but our cap space increase doesn’t kick in until June...I think...he gets an early release, we maximise current year space.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I’m do think that actual cap space on a Post June 1st cut doesn’t actual come into effect until June 1st though. So that 19mil only gets added to our cap at that point.

So if I understand this correctly - it slightly hurts us financially, up until June 1st...but helps us quite a bit, after June 1st. Is that correct ?

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

So if I understand this correctly - it slightly hurts us financially, up until June 1st...but helps us quite a bit, after June 1st. Is that correct ?

Think so.

So....I reckon we can now blow our 40m in space...safe in the knowledge come June 1st we get 19m added back to cover late offseason moves / in season head room.

Edited by UK SKINS FAN 74
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I'm not going to fall for these comparisons anymore, no matter who makes them, saying "such and such college QB is the Next Great _______________"

Haskins was called the next Roethlisberger...and ironically 2 years later, he's a backup to Roethlisberger, at the moment.

I'm not going to say to stay away from QB's from a certain school, but there's another interesting irony, that both of the college QB's mentioned, came from the same school :)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Ok, stupid question, but....does post June 1st cut mean he stays on the team until after June 1st? Or is that just a different type of release and we can cut him whenever?

The player hits free agency now, but the cap space isn't freed up until June 1st. The explainer article says it benefits the player by getting them to market when teams have money, and it benefits the team by creating more cap.

Ultimately what it does is take the $8m dead cap hit and spread $4m this year and $4m next year. SO instead of cutting him and having $130m in cap space next year, we'd have $126m. And instead of $52m in cap space this year, we'll have $56m.  I'm really not sure though if that money doesn't become available until June 1st. Because I could see us being a bit hamstrung by having that $19m on the books until June 1st. That means between now and then we'd have about $38 million to spend on free agents, which is definitely a lot of money UNLESS Dak hits the market and we sign him ... in that case the $$ goes quick and you'll wish you had that $14m immediately to have flexibility to bring in more guys, rather than that $19m post June 1st.

What this move tells me is that they don't anticipate a Dak-type signing. But that $38m can almost be entirely spent and it would go a long way the ways Year 1 of FA contracts tend to count.

The $19m freed up on June 1st by the Smith cut would pay for the draft class and give us about $11 million to roll into the season, which is a healthy chunk.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 2

With the number of vets that are about to be cut I understand why they want the extra money this year instead of next. All teams must be under the cap by March 17th. So yes getting the extra money in June will delay your ability to spend some of it for a couple of weeks. But there are going to be a ton of vets on the market in June as well. 

37 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I still want to hear Simms's opinion on Mond and why he has him ranked so highly, im curious. Mond above Fields and Lance is blowing my mind right now, I cant imagine him being better but I wouldn't be upset if we used our 2nd rounder on him or even traded up our 2nd rounder to get him. 

Not sure about him having Mond above Fields...I certainly wouldn't go that far. But I could potentially see the Mond > Lance opinion because while Lance has tons of talent he still only has one year of production and that came in a small school when playing against inferior talent, whereas Mond also has lots of talent but played in the SEC with 4 years of tape/production.

I'm not quite as high on Lance as some on the board but I'd still take him before Mond. 

16 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I'm generally not huge on comparisons but I actually see more of Cam's game in Lance than I do Fields. Fields doesn't run at all like Cam did in college. Lance is much more like Cam as a runner and also has a (slightly) bigger arm that Fields from what I could tell on limited film. 

• Like 1

I wonder if it's possible, that by waiting until after June 1st to cut Alex, if that leaves open the possibility for them to see how both Free Agency and the Draft go, and if they're disappointed in their ability to acquire another QB during that time, if they decide to actually keep him at that point.

Almost like a grace period or cushion, to determine how successful the team is in finding a "replacement", before making that decision and action on Alex ?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I wonder if it's possible, that by waiting until after June 1st to cut Alex, if that leaves open the possibility for them to see how both Free Agency and the Draft go, and if they're disappointed in their ability to acquire another QB during that time, if they decide to actually keep him at that point.

Almost like a grace period or cushion, to determine how successful the team is in finding a "replacement", before making that decision and action on Alex ?

no he’d be cut now. Only the cap impact is deferred.