Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

15 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Mel Kiper said he has some strong Brady qualities

Mel Kiper also predicted that Jake Locker Jimmy Clausen* would be a great QB and that if he (Locker) failed, he (Kiper) would quit his job.  Locker failed and Kiper didn't quit his job.

Think about this for a moment:  It's bad enough that Kiper predicted Locker would be a great QB.  Ok, people blow QB predictions all the time.  But Kiper's so bad, he couldn't even predict that he *wouldn't* quit his job if he blew that prediction -- and quitting his job was entirely up to him.

:bill:

That's how bad a prognosticator Mel Kiper is.  He can't even predict something completely up to him.

*Corrected per Riggo44's kind observation (kind in that he didn't bash the heck out of me for getting it wrong).

Edited by GothSkinsFan
Wrong QB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

I think Kiper's hair is appropriate for his NFL job - because it looks like what hair might look like, after wearing a helmet a couple hours.

Now he has a response from critics of his, that would say "You never strapped a helmet on in your life, so how would you know about football ?"

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

Dak wants a contract slightly behind what Mahomes makes.

https://heavy.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/dak-prescott-contract-negotiations-respect/

“Last year’s [offer to Prescott] was in the ballpark of Russell Wilson/Jared Goff-type money. Now he’s looking to be paid right behind Patrick Mahomes, a guy who’s gone to the Super Bowl two years in a row. Dak hasn’t done that yet,” Slater said on the Dan Patrick Show. “

How many bad contracts is Dallas willing to give out? lol

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Dak is like the turbo charged version of Cousins.  He's better, but not by much.  It's a similar conundrum...they should have extended him a few years ago.

I personally think Dak never wanted to be extended a couple of years ago, makes too much sense to play on the tag. He's been getting offered $5m more every year Dallas has negotiated with him. If I was a QB I would play on the tag as long as possible and drag out signing my contract as long as possible too. 2 years ago Dak got offered $30m per year, and now he could be looking at $38-40m per. 

12 hours ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

So at what point do Texans give up and accept Watson ain’t coming back? 

2022.  They are going to play hardball.  The only way that changes and they trade him in 21, is if the owner has a change of heart.  I don't think that will happen.  Cal's svengali, Jack Easterby; will tell him to play hardball. 

2 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I personally think Dak never wanted to be extended a couple of years ago, makes too much sense to play on the tag. He's been getting offered $5m more every year Dallas has negotiated with him. If I was a QB I would play on the tag as long as possible and drag out signing my contract as long as possible too. 2 years ago Dak got offered $30m per year, and now he could be looking at $38-40m per. 

If they aren't 1st round picks (with 5th yr options attached), you have to sign them after year 2.  Dallas didn't even try as far as I've seen.  They waited until after year 3 which, duhhh, he's going to wait it out, same as Cousins,  PLUS he's in a different tier of player.  

Basically with QBs you need to be 2 years ahead of schedule or otherwise, they bet on themselves. 

Do I want to pay Prescott 40m+?  Hell to the nah nah nah.  He is not special enough to justify that salary unless you have all the other pieces in place.  They have a KC-light style offense but it's not so elite to overcome the defensive liabilities, and that's not even addressing the question of whether Dak could win a SB.

Personally, I think he could, but only if *everything* else on the roster is maximized and overproducing versus cost.  If not, he'll kill your cap with a solid B, maaaaybe B+ average play from QB1.

20 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Do I want to pay Prescott 40m+?  Hell to the nah nah nah.

Doesn't his stat line trend down?  Not exactly top tier from the looks of it.  I hope they pay him +$40M per yr.

Do it JJ. Come on 'Pay the man his money' for those 22 TD's per yr. 

giphy.gif

Screenshot 2021-03-02 154246.png

• Haha 1

It's funny because they basically have to pay him. He hasn't had a losing season with them yet and he's by far their best QB option. He just isn't enough to ever win them a SB with the roster they have and the contracts they have and he never will be. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1

Jones getting support from two of the most hopped up media guys on Haskins before the 2019 draft.  Doesn't mean Jones is doomed 😀 but its hard for me to forget how Orlovsky was smitten by Haskins.  I saw Orlovsky is hyped up about Darnold, too.   Jones I'll say getting a lot of hype in recent weeks.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Mel Kiper also predicted that Jake Locker would be a great QB and that if he (Locker) failed, he (Kiper) would quit his job.  Locker failed and Kiper didn't quit his job.

It was even worse than Locker. He said that about Jimmy Claussen.

• Thanks 2

Well it’s encouraging that we are still ‘working the phones’ trying to make something happen.

That of course is fraught with danger though given there is some pile of crap out there on the other end of that actual phone....:ols:

Just now, Riggo#44 said:

It was even worse than Locker. He said that about Jimmy Claussen.

You are absolutely right and i'm so glad i didn't say i'd quit my job if i didn't get the attribution correct. 

What i'm curious about is not so much evaluating QBs, but evaluating evaluating QBs.  Leaving aside unknown and random factors that can't be accounted for, how do some guys blow QB evals year after year without any scrutiny of how they're doing evals?  What are they looking at and why are they so wrong?  If it's the system the QBs end up in, why are knuckleheads routinely drafting guys utterly unsuited to what the team wants to do?

• Like 1

Just now, FootballZombie said:

If Smith catches on to another team in a couple of days for around 6-8M or so, it could go a long way.

Might take a QB needy team out of the top of both the FA and trade markets. That would bode well for us.

The only team that would eliminate is potentially Chicago. But even then, it doesn't take them out of the equation for a rookie, it just takes some of the pressure off. They'd basically be in the same boat as us. Hope someone falls within range or to your pick.. Otherwise, hope to nail a mid-round QB or wait for next year. But they pick behind us, so in a sense it doesn't change too much on the QB landscape.

If Smith goes to any other team with a QB need, I don't think it changes things much, if at all.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

The only team that would eliminate is potentially Chicago.

It certainly wont stop a team near the front of the draft from drafting a guy, as Smith is not the future, but I can see it potentially knocking off several teams beyond CHI.

NE badly needs a QB and pick all the way back at 15. I could see it eliminate them.

Doubt they go back to Smith, but SF does not pick until 12 and its clear they want to move on from Jimmy G.

They have no money, but NO has to get somebody. Smith wont cost as much as WInston

Then there is the grey area teams like Carolina or Denver, who I don't feel like would be eliminated, but it could at least give them some pause on pulling a trigger.

8 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

2022.  They are going to play hardball.  The only way that changes and they trade him in 21, is if the owner has a change of heart.  I don't think that will happen.  Cal's svengali, Jack Easterby; will tell him to play hardball. 

How'd it work out for us playing hardball with Trent?  Now multiply it by whatever degree QB is more valuable than LT.

Watson will get dealt prior to the season if he holds firm.

9 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

He just got injured though. That's a huge risk. 

Its in both their interests to sign Dak to a long term deal. The Cowboys can save money on this year's cap by spreading out a 5 year deal a bit. (and pay more later) 

Due to covid the cap is smaller this year, whereas in the future no doubt it'll continue to go up. Its in any team's interest to save money this season and mortgage for the future.

• Like 1