Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

21 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Allen is gonna get traded for someone.  You can prolly bank on that.

I get what you're saying, we probably aren't going to be able to pay everyone on that dline, so looking at it just on paper, trading allen this offseason might be the smartest move.   But in terms of chemistry, that young dline finally coming together, his leadership, I think id rather try to extend him.  Adding stafford would instantly make us a contender, and with our great cap situation, maybe we can retain more of these guys than we imagine.  Especially considering there will probably be guys we try to retain but they end up leaving, like potentially scherff and darby right now.  Silly to get rid of a stud now bc your long term plan involves retaining guys who end up leaving anyway.

Edited by KillBill26
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Probably he is our primary target, SIP.  Our new GM drafted him.  I'd say IF the new F.O. wants him he's as good as a WFT player.  I hate using a 1st to sign him though.  I'd rather a 2nd and another pick, if we could.  We desperately need a LOT to protect him.  I want a young, healthy drafted QB.  But that's just me.  

Reading Schefter's article and also noticing the number of teams who allegdily might be interested, I'd expect this will take a first and another pick. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I don't see the new regime in detroit wanting to pay jimmy g that salary.  I assume they'd want to start fresh with a young qb.

Jimmy's contract isn't all the bad really.  The 49ers have paid out all the gurenteed portion mostly.  And picking at #7 they're not gurenteed to get a young QB they like.  

8 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I get what you're saying, we probably aren't going to be able to pay everyone on that dline, so looking at it just on paper, trading allen this offseason might be the smartest move.   But in terms of chemistry, that young dline finally coming together, his leadership, I think id rather try to extend him.  Adding stafford would instantly make us a contender, and with our great cap situation, maybe we can retain more of these guys than we imagine.  Especially considering there will probably be guys we try to retain but they end up leaving, like potentially scherff and darby right now.  Silly to get rid of a stud now bc your long term plan involves retaining guys who end up leaving anyway.

Rivera does not strike me as the kind of guy to trade away team captains.  He's all about the locker room.  Id be shocked.

I’m all for going after Stafford. He’ll be cheaper than Watson by a significant margin, even if he isn’t the same caliber. That said, lots of competition to get him. Way I see it from Stafford’s POV, he’d likely want to go to following teams.

1.) Indy - This makes sense for Detroit and Stafford. Top 10 offensive talent, good O-line, good defense, and out of conference. Will have to outbid.

2.) SF - Talented team that was in the SB a year ago. Even if the NFC West is stacked, gotta imagine that’s appealing.

3.) WASH - A great defense and tons of cap space. Intriguing and young offensive pieces. Former GM is now our GM. 

I don’t see other teams really making a run at him. They won’t trade him to Chicago, he won’t go to a rebuilding team in Denver or Carolina. Those three make the most sense. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This.  Stafford instantly changes the opposing defenses preparation from Tuesday to Saturday.  The safeties move back, the LBs play looser, far fewer blitzes.  Hard counts, sneaky audibles and you absolutely cannot get away with a prevent defense for any length of time.

It’s a whole different mindset.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

This.  Stafford instantly changes the opposing defenses preparation from Tuesday to Saturday.  The safeties move back, the LBs play looser, far fewer blitzes.  Hard counts, sneaky audibles and you absolutely cannot get away with a prevent defense for any length of time.

Yep.    Among other things, McLaurin would finally have a QB who can get him the ball deep.  Haskins had a strong arm but threw an atrocious deep ball.     Stafford has sneaky mobility too and can throw off platform, he isn't a statue in the pocket. 

And reading some of the tweets of those who are opposed to the deal the refrain seems to be we have other needs.  Yeah we do.  But we aren't going to trade every draft pick and forgo all our cap money.  It's not a Stafford deal and the off season is over.  We almost beat Tampa with an undrafted FA playing QB but yet we are supposedly a team in dire need for some big infusion of talent.    We can get Stafford AND a receiver AND a MLB.  This isn't some weird zero sum exercise. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 8

5 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Offense time of possession increases and keeps our defense more fresh. Additional scoring output also allows defense to play more aggressive with blitzes, knowing a blown play won’t cost them the game. Ton of trickle down effects on both sides of the ball. 

• Like 3

The only thing concerning my about Stafford is that it reeks of Dan's past which makes me think he'd be involved. I'm not opposed to it because it would solve the QB position if it works but we've seen historically it not working with George, Brunell, Smith and McNabb,all for different reasons

George - bad teammate 

Brunell - old and arm went out

McNabb - old and didn't want to learn the playbook

Smith - injured and didn't fit the offense. 

But even with the hesitations I have, just to be able to hopefully not be wondering who the qb is for a while would be nice. I just hope the cost isn't too high. 

One thing to note. With SF having 2 extra third rounders for the coach and gm hired, they have ammo that's like free money. 

12 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Gibson is probably praying right now.  Rookie had 11 touchdowns during a season with no aerial attack and where he was limping the last month.  Imagine his stats with Stafford on board.

• Like 1

“He’s a big-gain hunter," defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio said in November. "He looks for big plays. He’s got a great arm. He’ll hang back there. He’s stepping up through protection and keeping his eyes downfield."

"He can throw every throw that a quarterback needs to throw. He’s got elite arm talent. I think he’s a good football player. Obviously, he’s got a lot of experience and seen a lot of things. I have a lot of respect for his game.”

If Detroit wants Dline, I could manage to stomach the loss of Settle or Ioannidis. I'd be happy to trade Collins. I'm wondering if a rebuilding team would be interested in players like Gandy-Golden or Harmon. Detroit does stand to lose two receivers in free agency (Golladay and M. Hall).