Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM

The quarterback carousel has continued to turn in Washington for almost 20 years. Stafford’s identity within a new-found culture in D.C. could return the burgundy and gold back to the playoffs, and bear with me, even further. 

The connections run deep with Stafford in Washington. Newly hired team general manager Martin Mayhew turned the card in to select Stafford as the No.1 overall pick back in 2009 as the Lions’ general manager. Additionally, Alex Smith, a good friend of Stafford’s, is represented by the same agent, Tom Condon.

Looking further, behind a budding defense led by Chase Young and proven young talents on offense in Terry McLaurin and Antonio Gibson, Ron Rivera would quickly have his answer at quarterback not just for 2021, but for the foreseeable future.

SIP, the Skins would have to outbid several teams ahead of them.  I'd rather have Jones (#1) or Lance/Wilson (#2).  If RR wants Stafford for #19 and a 3rd I could live with that but for 2 1st rounders, No way.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I agree with no more than #19 for Jones.  If Jones climbs up the boards then that leaves Lance and Wilson possibly falling and I would be ok with them too.  I would trade trade a 2022 1st for Wilson or Lance because they are more talented than Jones but then again if the WFT team see in Jones/Wilson/Lance.  

I think no chance Mac Jones rising if it happens will drop Fields and Wilson.    I think there is a better chance I'll be the starting QB for this team next year than Wilson and Fields dropping to 19.    I'd be very surprised if Jones rises above being QB #5 maybe he has an outside shot of being QB #4.

The Jets by most indications are taking one of the two at #2.  I circled every team picking ahead of us who supposedly might be in the QB hunt.  How are all these QBs potentially dropping down to us.  I think if anything they don't escape the top 10 let alone drop to 19.  I grant you that if the league sees Mac Jones the way many do on our draft thread as "meh" then there is a good chance he's there at 19.  But some NFL observers expect him to go earlier than some expect in part because of all the needy QB teams.   

I think Baldinger said it well when thinking about the draft, picking 19, they are sort of screwed. 

draftorder.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think no chance Mac Jones rising if it happens will drop Fields and Wilson.    I think there is a better chance I'll be the starting QB for this team next year than Wilson and Fields dropping to 19.    I'd be very surprised if Jones rises above being QB #5 maybe he has an outside shot of being QB #4.

The Jets by most indications are taking one of the two at #2.  I circled every team picking ahead of us who supposedly might be in the QB hunt.  How are all these QBs potentially dropping down to us.  I think if anything they don't escape the top 10 let alone drop to 19.  I grant you that if the league sees Mac Jones the way many do on our draft thread as "meh" then there is a good chance he's there are 19.  But some NFL observers expect him to go earlier than some expect in part because of all the needy QB teams.   

I think Baldinger said it well when thinking about the draft, picking 19, they are sort of screwed. 

I know it doesn't matter much but 2 teams can be taken off the list because of Stafford and Watson.  I hope Jones fall to #19.  Again, IF we end up getting Stafford at #19 and one of our 3rd round picks this year I can live with it.  Not what I want but I can live with it.  Anything more is too much to me.  JMO  :)

12 minutes ago, RWJ said:

SIP, the Skins would have to outbid several teams ahead of them.  I'd rather have Jones (#1) or Lance/Wilson (#2).  If RR wants Stafford for #19 and a 3rd I could live with that but for 2 1st rounders, No way.

Where is your confidence coming from that they can get these guys?  Maybe Jones if the NFL shares the thoughts of most of the draft geek types who see him as a 2nd round talent.  In that case, like Haskins we can get a perceived 2nd round talent in the first because most teams grade him lower.

I am not saying that's how I feel about Jones.  I need to see Jones' senior bowl to land on a more firm opinion.  But if the NFL sees Mac as how most of the mock drafter types do (which is a marginal late first round/2nd round type talent) then he might still be there at 19.  the other four QBs, I think have no shot at falling to 19 even though some mocks have Lance falling that far.  Will see. 

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

I know it doesn't matter much but 2 teams can be taken off the list because of Stafford and Watson.  I hope Jones fall to #19.  Again, IF we end up getting Stafford at #19 and one of our 3rd round picks this year I can live with it.  Not what I want but I can live with it.  Anything more is too much to me.  JMO  :)

1 team likely not 2 but unless the Texans want Tua or Darnold they are likely in the QB shopping business, too. But still that's a lot of teams.  It's a leap and a prayer IMO to just think Belichick or whomever just changes their mind and skips QB just because...

Edited by Skinsinparadise

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Where is your confidence coming from that they can get these guys?  Maybe Jones if the NFL shares the thoughts of most of the draft geek types who see him as a 2nd round talent.  In that case, like Haskins we can get a perceived 2nd round talent in the first because most teams grade him lower.

I am not saying that's how I feel about Jones.  I need to see Jones' senior bowl to land on a more firm opinion.  But if the NFL sees Mac as how most of the mock drafter types do (which is a marginal late first round/2nd round type talent) then he might still be there at 19.  the other four QBs, I think have no shot at falling to 19 even though some mocks have Lance falling that far.  Will see. 

That's about it.  This week, correct me if I misinterpreted team will come a calling to the Lions and place their bid for a trade for Stafford.  If we lose out which I expect we will what are your thoughts on our QB situation? 

1 minute ago, DWinzit said:

Not really because that would put Detroit and Houston in the mix for a new QB and newly gained draft assets to do it

True, my bad.  :)

Just now, HigSkin said:

Now that's a heavy tweet.  I'm blocked by this guy.  How many followers does he have HigSkin?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

That's about it.  This week, correct me if I misinterpreted team will come a calling to the Lions and place their bid for a trade for Stafford.  If we lose out which I expect we will what are your thoughts on our QB situation? 

I got to run out right now but my quick answer is we are somewhat screwed.  FA looks meh.  The draft looks tough.   I don't like Darnold.  I don't dislike Jones as a prospect, I am curious to see how he does at the Senior Bowl but like I said if he burns it up the irony of it would be possibility putting him out of reach.  I am very intrigued by how Jamie Newman does at the senior bowl -- I like his tools. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I got to run out right now but my quick answer is we are somewhat screwed.  FA looks meh.  The draft looks tough.   I don't like Darnold.  I don't dislike Jones as a prospect, I am curious to see how he does at the Senior Bowl but like I said if he burns it up the irony of it would be possibility putting him out of reach.  I am very intrigued by how Jamie Newman does at the senior bowl -- I like his tools. 

I agree with all of this. People clamoring for Mac Jones over Matt Stafford are crazy. Stafford isn't worth Mac Jones and another 1st? Nuts. 

That tweet beat me, but I was thinking overnight that the price for Stafford is going to be at least two 1sts. And I wouldn't mind paying that. Two Mid firsts for a top 10 QB is a steal. Matt Stafford >>>>>>>> Mac Jones and a mid first. 

• Like 3

Wow **** me it's going to take the farm to get stafford isnt it?....well..if stafford is playing at a high level and he can run Turner's offense than **** it let's do it I guees...this years first next years 3rd..matt I and Landon collins..in return for stafford and there 3rd from this years draft.

Negotiations can begin now but nothing can be officially announced till March 12th?..or 17th..one of the 2.lol

23 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Not really because that would put Detroit and Houston in the mix for a new QB and newly gained draft assets to do it

Even worse, if a team like indy lands one of them, they draft after us and the teams that now need qbs are both before us, making it even more difficult

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

**** circles back to Taylor being the starter at training camp lol...BAM!!!...championship!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Wow **** me it's going to take the farm to get stafford isnt it?....well..if stafford is playing at a high level and he can run Turner's offense than **** it let's do it I guees...this years first next years 3rd..matt I and Landon collins..in return for stafford and there 3rd from this years draft.

Nobody wants Landon Collins. Contract is bad. He's not super super young. Coming off a major season ending injury. Who knows if he will even be the same guy again? Can anyone else remember a DB coming back from a torn achilles and performing at a super high level? Richard Sherman is the only one I can think of. 

We’d have to overpay significantly for Stafford to land him. Very significantly.

If he can be had for a reasonably fair deal (which for a QB is always slightly slanted towards the team giving up the QB rights) then he’d be a tremendous get.

But if we have to give, say... two firsts and a third + a new deal and cap space?

Theres no way to really advocate for this trade or say it’s horrible without knowing the actual cost. So my opinion is no matter our actual thoughts we need to remain open minded in both directions pending whatever happens.

But there is a line for how much a team with a lot of holes should spend to bring in an older QB with a lot of wear and tear from a losing organization.

And bear in mind... I’m not downing Stafford. But if it takes, say, 2 ones and a 3... what would the cost be to move up and get a quarterback in the draft? 

Hopefully Ron-Mart is looking at this from every angle and they make a good choice.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don’t think we’re screwed. I think we may be “screwed” for a big name QB. But I bet our QB play this year is much better than last year with a few extra weapons...

3 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Nobody wants Landon Collins. Contract is bad. He's not super super young. Coming off a major season ending injury. Who knows if he will even be the same guy again? Can anyone else remember a DB coming back from a torn achilles and performing at a super high level? Richard Sherman is the only one I can think of. 

Was just trying to sweeten the pot..saying goodbye possibly cause the emergence of curl..Matt I and we give Thomas back?...lol jk

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I don’t think we’re screwed. I think we may be “screwed” for a big name QB. But I bet our QB play this year is much better than last year with a few extra weapons...

Couldn't agree more...players will wanna play here where players are playing like players now.

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

We’d have to overpay significantly for Stafford to land him. Very significantly.

If he can be had for a reasonably fair deal (which for a QB is always slightly slanted towards the team giving up the QB rights) then he’d be a tremendous get.

But if we have to give, say... two firsts and a third + a new deal and cap space?

Theres no way to really advocate for this trade or say it’s horrible without knowing the actual cost. So my opinion is no matter our actual thoughts we need to remain open minded in both directions pending whatever happens.

But there is a line for how much a team with a lot of holes should spend to bring in an older QB with a lot of wear and tear from a losing organization.

And bear in mind... I’m not downing Stafford. But if it takes, say, 2 ones and a 3... what would the cost be to move up and get a quarterback in the draft? 

Hopefully Ron-Mart is looking at this from every angle and they make a good choice.

Very well said sir!!..I hate not being able to like things..would save me alot of work lol

23 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Even worse, if a team like indy lands one of them, they draft after us and the teams that now need qbs are both before us, making it even more difficult

Yup. Plus not only will Detroit be in line to grab one of the top draft picks, they will more than likely be grabbing Tyrod Taylor off the FA market to use as their day one starter.

I know some here don't think much of him but to me, he and Brissett are the two cheaper decent stop gaps if the team decided to wait a year on getting a big time starter. I say that because Anthony Lynn really likes Taylor and just became the Lions OC. I mean Heini looked good but we really don't know what we get from him and both of these guys are upgrades to Allen at least in my eyes. 

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I just want to hear our name in a legit conversation about him. If we don't get him we don't get him but I don't want to hear that there are five other teams bidding for him and we're not one of them.

If we do our #19 or our #19 and a 3rd round pick this year for him,  I can live with that.

• Like 1