Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

I did just realize though, Stafford might not fit the type of QB Rivera/Turner want. They seem to prefer the more mobile types and our offense was at its best with that kind of QB(Allen and Heinecke). Stafford isn't a complete statue but he's probably below average at this point in his career in terms of mobility.

2 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Nah, Stafford still holds all the leverage and the reports are the team and Stafford are on good terms. He will have to agree to go anywhere. 

It comes down to where Stafford wants to play and the set compensation the teams must pay to get him. Don’t think it becomes a bidding war. 

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

We’d have to overpay significantly for Stafford to land him. Very significantly.

If he can be had for a reasonably fair deal (which for a QB is always slightly slanted towards the team giving up the QB rights) then he’d be a tremendous get.

But if we have to give, say... two firsts and a third + a new deal and cap space?

Theres no way to really advocate for this trade or say it’s horrible without knowing the actual cost. So my opinion is no matter our actual thoughts we need to remain open minded in both directions pending whatever happens.

But there is a line for how much a team with a lot of holes should spend to bring in an older QB with a lot of wear and tear from a losing organization.

And bear in mind... I’m not downing Stafford. But if it takes, say, 2 ones and a 3... what would the cost be to move up and get a quarterback in the draft? 

Hopefully Ron-Mart is looking at this from every angle and they make a good choice.

I don’t think this is a bidding war type situation, compensation probably has already been set and now it’s seeing what teams are interested at the cost and where Stafford wants to go. Don’t believe it’s a scenario where all teams are in the dark and randomly bidding against each other. My guess is the compensation expectation for the Lions will soon come out. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wit33 said:

Nah, Stafford still holds all the leverage and the reports are the team and Stafford are on good terms. He will have to agree to go anywhere. 

It comes down to where Stafford wants to play and the set compensation the teams must pay to get him. Don’t think it becomes a bidding war. 

I don’t think this is a bidding war type situation, compensation probably has already been set and now it’s seeing what teams are interested at the cost and where Stafford wants to go. Don’t believe it’s a scenario where all teams are in the dark and randomly bidding against each other. My guess is the compensation expectation for the Lions will soon come out. 

Totally agreed it’ll be an amicable split. No reason why this doesn’t get sorted very quickly in my opinion. A deal in principle could be done in days. Maybe earlier. Got to think that’s the hot topic around many front offices today.

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

I don’t think we’re screwed. I think we may be “screwed” for a big name QB. But I bet our QB play this year is much better than last year with a few extra weapons...

Depends on the goal IMO.  If its a SB team in the next season or two, we are likely screwed.  If its can we duplicate the Gibbs 2 teams, be sort of a playoff team or a fringe one and give the great teams a run for their money but one of them will ultimately stop us -- I think we are well on that course.  I see this team as currently constructed very similar to the Gibbs 2 teams.  The strengths and weaknesses are different on defense.  but the offense is very similar.  

8 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Yeah as I mentioned here a few times i've heard Stafford and his wife and very close to the owner.  So this is them likely at least partly about doing Stafford a solid. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

20 mill though doesn't seem that steep so I'd be surprised

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

So what would be overspending as far as draft picks for Stafford to those on ES?

Speaking for myself I don't think i'd give two #1's but i'd give up #1 and change and I'd be flexible as to what that change would be.

our cap room goes up if we release Alex

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

20 mill though doesn't seem that steep so I'd be surprised

Speaking for myself I don't think i'd give two #1's but i'd give up #1 and change and I'd be flexible as to what that change would be.

We have to unload Smith and I agree with your picks for Stafford.  It'd be #19 and a 3rd at most.  

17 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Compensation is always open for negotiation.

6 minutes ago, RWJ said:

We have to unload Smith and I agree with your picks for Stafford.  It'd be #19 and a 3rd at most.  

If we can get Stafford for a 1st and 3rd you have to do that.  I can't imagine any scenario where Smith comes back next year. I sure hope he's not, he's been through enough and the team needs to move on.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I'd be willing to go slightly more than your top deal if need be.  But i don't think I'd trade two #1's

On another note, The one time Stafford had a top 10 defense, they went 11-5

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Why is matt stafford such a high commodity ppl are willing to give up our first?!? Why do we always puke ourselves in these situations.....have we not learned our lesson yet??? Everytime i hear “this is different this isnt Brunell or Jeff George or Mcnabb or Alex Smith...” whatever i guess we are content being 6-10-9-7 

3 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Why is matt stafford such a high commodity ppl are willing to give up our first?!? Why do we always puke ourselves in these situations.....have we not learned our lesson yet??? Everytime i hear “this is different this isnt Brunell or Jeff George or Mcnabb or Alex Smith...” whatever i guess we are content being 6-10-9-7 

I think the situation is different and I think Stafford has proven to be an upper tier QB. The team is also built to win now with a boatload of cheap, rookie contracts whereas back then there were no rookie caps. I think this particular scenario is more looking to take advantage of the strengths we have as opposed to just going on a shopping spree to fix all our issues.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I honestly think whoever trades for Stafford probably has to give him a 5 year 150mil contract as part of the move. Maybe more than that.

Wouldn’t let that put me off through, get him in.

Makes me wonder if Detroit will give Stafford some say in where he wants to be dealt? They may feel like they owe him that much and maybe that was part of the mutual agreement.

If this is the case then it could come down to a contract extension to wet his whistle so to speak....

2 minutes ago, method man said:

I’ve said this previously but I’d be willing to go beyond a 1st + 3rd if the Lions throw in Okudah, who Holmes/Campbell are not wedded to

I don’t know why Detroit would dump Okudah that quickly. He’s a corner. Not a QB. It doesn’t matter if the new regime is tied to him.

3 minutes ago, method man said:

I’ve said this previously but I’d be willing to go beyond a 1st + 3rd if the Lions throw in Okudah, who Holmes/Campbell are not wedded to

I highly doubt this is in the realm of possibility. Lets just start with a 1st and 3rd and maybe a 3rd next year for Stafford.