Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I gotta tell you... I am kind of hoping Dallas screws up Dak. I’d love to have him and I’m curious if his cost is slightly lowered due to the injury. I don’t think it happens but not giving up picks and getting a youngish franchise style QB would be the win of the offseason for me. 

It's more likely Dak screws up Dallas by demanding 50M per yr avg. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheShredder said:

It's more likely Dak screws up Dallas by demanding 50M per yr avg. 

I’d love that, too. Either someone (hopefully not us) makes a colossal mistake and signs him to some absurd deal like that (Dallas... I’m looking at you) or he tests FA and realizes he’s going to get less...

And then he can sign with WFT to show Dallas twice a season how much of a mistake they made :ols:

Edited by KDawg

2 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

totally agree, I think it would cost us more to get Watson simply because we don't have a QB or high 1st round pick to offer. NYJ and Miami are in perfect spots as far as compensation. Only if Houston loved our d-line (Young or Sweat) could we be in the conversation...but stranger things have happened.

I don't think we've seen the best of Montez yet.  I think he will continue to develop and be a force in the league for years to come.  Watson is a special talent at the most important position in football so I would have to consider it (depending on what else we're giving up) but it would be very difficult for me to give up Montez Sweat in a trade.  Young is flat out untouchable.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

If you somehow knew that it was getting you top 5 QB play for the next 10-15 years and along with that the likelihood of being a perennial SB contender you'd do it. 10 years from now do you really think you'd be saying to yourself "Man, I can't believe we've been stuck with this elite QB for all these years after that trade. I really would have rather taken an OL and maybe a WR or a DL with those 1st rounders"? Please.

Ok, but we don't somehow know that we are getting top 5 QB play for the next 10-15 years.  We know that he looks like a good QB. We know that he has been on a good team (until this year) and has won 1 playoff game. (which might, maybe, could suggest he isn't quite the elite guy that he looks like) Has he looked that good because he was on a good team? Would he have looked this good if he had been drafted by the Jets?  How much of his success was due to a great D, running game and weapons on O? Did HE make those teams look better than they were?  I don't know the answer to these questions. Just explaining my stance on no player being worth that kind of capital. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

If you somehow knew that it was getting you top 5 QB play for the next 10-15 years and along with that the likelihood of being a perennial SB contender you'd do it. 10 years from now do you really think you'd be saying to yourself "Man, I can't believe we've been stuck with this elite QB for all these years after that trade. I really would have rather taken an OL and maybe a WR or a DL with those 1st rounders"? Please.

But you can’t know that. Ten years from now if it doesn’t work out do you think you’ll be saying, “Hey, we trashed our roster making that move but it was totally worth the 2 playoff appearances!”

I don’t know one way or the other. I think there is more risk with trading for him than not. Upside may be worth it. 

Who knows.

Like I said, I love the player.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I’d love that, too. Either someone (hopefully not us) makes a colossal mistake and signs him to some absurd deal like that (Dallas... I’m looking at you) or he tests FA and realizes he’s going to get less...

And then he can sign with WFT to show Dallas twice a season how much of a mistake they made :ols:

JJ has lost his mind overpaying for everyone else and leaving the most expensive position for a tight cap year.  They're pretty screwed either way and the future dead cap is going to leave larger holes in the roster and JJs ego.

2 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

JJ has lost his mind overpaying for everyone else and leaving the most expensive position for a tight cap year.  They're pretty screwed either way and the future dead cap is going to leave larger holes in the roster and JJs ego.

It’s amazing isn’t it?

• Like 1

I'd be really wary about giving Dak a huge payday. He's coming back from a devastating injury and there's currently no way for us to know if he'll be the same guy. Will he still be able to plant and drive on that ankle or will it be problematic for him now? His athleticism and mobility was a big part of his game and if the ankle injury has diminished even just that, he could end up being a shell of his former self.

• Like 2

It still makes me laugh that Jones paid Zeke instead of just adding $5M to whatever they were offering Dak. Especially now that they’re set up with Cooper and Lamb. It’s hilarious how badly he screwed that up. Pollard looks good behind Zeke and it’s a RUNNING BACK for christ sake. Could’ve overpaid Dak a bit and re-signed Gallup, worried about OL and defense in the draft and just let Zeke rot.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Buccaneers were 7-9 last year.

And they added Fournette, Antoine Winfield Jr, Tristan Wirfs, Antonio Brown, Gronk, franchised Barrett and have one of the best DLs in the league WITH 2 stud linebackers. 

Oh and a free agent Tom Brady (which means they were able to get Winfield and Wirfs with the draft picks they would have given up).

Oh and Evans and Godwin and Miller already on roster and added Tyler Johnson and AB.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

It is until we get to the point of where we are now. We keep drafting bad QBs. Whether its Ramsey, Campbell, RG3 or Haskins. Its not like I'm frustrated that we're going down this cycle every 10 years or so, its almost literally every 3 years we waste a first rounder. Then when that pick is a bust we waste a third rounder to compensate and get a respectable team. I don't mind playing the lottery but I do mind if the money you're buying lottery tickets with was supposed to pay the light bill. Some say that once you get a franchise QB, then you can start building or then it gets easier, but that means we sit and suck for years and years while our next 5 or 6 QBs suck, or we go after the mediocre QB to get us to 8-8 and maybe 10-6 to look respectable since we're tired of 5-11 seasons. That's what happened with the Brunell trade and the McNabb trade. Why not just keep the QB who can be a game manager and keep building until you see a QB you think is THE ONE, and then just go all in on them - like KC did. Not this take a QB because we need one and this guy's got a strong arm or has mobility. 

I up voted you before seeing the last part about signing the dreaded game manager until they see the QB the think is the one.  Every one of those names you posted were considered "the one" by Redskins management at the time.  Finding a really good QB is really really hard as we know so well. That's why if one is available you have to do what you can to obtain him so we don't continue this merry go round.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

And they added Fournette, Antoine Winfield Jr, Tristan Wirfs, Antonio Brown, Gronk, franchised Barrett and have one of the best DLs in the league WITH 2 stud linebackers. 

Oh and a free agent Tom Brady (which means they were able to get Winfield and Wirfs with the draft picks they would have given up).

I assume we'll add additional players as well.

Just now, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I assume we'll add additional players as well.

Not if we give up 3 1s and some 2s for Watson and take on the cap hit as well as getting Scherff and Darby re-upped. Oh and a need for two receivers. Oh and two inside backers. Oh and a free safety. And a left tackle.

• Like 1

Yeah I have a feeling we're going to end up disappointed (or happy, depending on your take) by this trade period. Miami will probably end up with Watson, SF will probably end up with Stafford, and we'll end up trying to sort out the leftovers while also not having a high enough draft pick to get a top QB. 

WFT:

giphy.gif

19 minutes ago, KDawg said:

But you can’t know that. Ten years from now if it doesn’t work out do you think you’ll be saying, “Hey, we trashed our roster making that move but it was totally worth the 2 playoff appearances!”

I don’t know one way or the other. I think there is more risk with trading for him than not. Upside may be worth it. 

Who knows.

Like I said, I love the player.

It’s a tough one for me too. As I’ve said before, Watson is the ONE guy out there that I would be willing to be aggressive for in terms of guys available via trade. 

I can hardly imagine giving up 3 firsts for a player and I’m not saying I would or wouldn’t but I would at least consider it. 

I hate the idea of giving up one of our coveted young dlinemen, however, devils advocate says if we unloaded one then obviously that saves us some cap room in the future. Ie if we sent Allen away (again not advocating) then you have ion coming back and settle that will cost less to keep around although it gives less depth. 

Again, a part of me will probably sigh in relief if someone else takes him because I’m wary of it all and probably would prefer to stay the course but as you said, he’s a special player. 

18 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Not if we give up 3 1s and some 2s for Watson and take on the cap hit as well as getting Scherff and Darby re-upped. Oh and a need for two receivers. Oh and two inside backers. Oh and a free safety. And a left tackle.

^^^ This ^^^

A million times this.  This team has many holes.  You mortgage that many picks (and cap space) for one QB and he has no team around him.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

I wonder if these reviews keep coming in whether he surpasses Lance and pushes him down to us?  Because that would be awesome.

Mac is hot garbage.

I'd be pretty surprised if we took Lance. It sounds like Rivera and Co. are in win now mode, for better or worse. Lance is very much not a "win now" prospect. He's super gifted but is raw and is going to need time to develop. Then again, who knows. I'm guessing we'll end up with a small upgrade on Allen/Heinicke...maybe Carr or someone along those lines. And we'll go from a 7-9 team to a 8-8 team.