Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

6 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

There is absolutely no one holding Rivera accountable and that situation hasn't changed at all this offseason.  Not even fans or media are willing to acknowledge the mistakes he made this season.  Jay Gruden was given shockingly free reign and a lot of time for being such a train wreck of a person and coach.  Bruce Allen got a decade despite being an incompetent drunken moron.  Rivera gave the owner's choice QB four games before he pulled the plug on him, humiliated him and absolutely destroyed his value, and then cut him before the season was over.  The only thing that's happened after that is that he's consolidated his control over the franchise and become even more powerful than any other figure that's worked for the team, and he ran off Kyle Smith and populated the front office with his friends.  He's not going anywhere for a long time no matter what happens with the team.

Rivera, given the hand he was dealt, his history in the league as a coach and player and with all of the success he has had, not to mention his battling cancer, deserved every bit of the free reign he got last year and beyond. He was brought in to clean up an organizational disaster and he has not only done a great job of that, he took a team with virtually no QB to the playoffs without having any mini camp or preseason games. RR didn't humiliate DH, he did that to himself. DH was an embarrassment on many levels. I hope RR is here for a long time as he has helped restore credibility to an organization that's been a laughingstock disaster for the past 13 years since Gibbs retired again. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Rivera was caught between a rock and a hard place on Haskins and for that matter a number of issues put on his doorstep by Dan.  None of it was his fault.  Rivera like any coach or GM for that matter will make mistakes.  If we are going to hammer any coach or GM for mistakes, they all stink then, because none of them are close to infalliable. but I can't think of a coach in the NFL with more obstacles last year than that dude.  I think he did a great job considering. 

A.  Dan who according to reliable reporters like Keim was smittened by Haskins.  That was Dan's dude.  We read the report that Kyle Smith didn't think highly of Haskins and one higher up in that organization was so down on the pick that they felt nauseous about it.  So Ron had to deal with his buffoon owner in love with a QB who the FO Ron inherited didn't think much of. So he walked into an awkward situation and made the best of it.   Ron had no choice but to give it go at least a little.  You can't just take a job and say to the owner you won't even give his pet player a chance to show what he has.  So he did.  

B. Haskins according to multiple reports didn't work very hard once he was given the job and his teammates noticed it.  He had to bench him.  Notice not one player even passively said anything about regretting that Haskins was benched either at the time or later?  Between that and other stories ala Haskins bragging after loses -- Rivera had to make a move to keep the locker room strong.  

C.  Then Rivera is dealing with the name change.  Dealing with all the crazy sexual harassment stories.  And as for Kyle Smith a couple of reporters said Ron got along well with Kyle but the feeling was Kyle's strong ties to Bruce (Kyle's dad is Bruce's best friend) demanded they needed to move on.  Sounded weird at the time but now it makes a lot more sense with Bruce apparently being one of the drivers of helping the minority owners in their court room spitting match with Dan. 

Ron inherited a major crap strom from Dan and handled it really well IMO.    He couldn't discard Dan's toy from the jump when he got hired.  He had to play that out some and he did.  Now he's all hands on deck working to solve the QB issue, I'd give him some time.  All of his predecessors have failed at QB for the last 20 years, I'd give Ron at least an off season or two to fix the thing that this organization has never solved under Dan's incompetent leadership.

Excellent summary, one nobody should dispute. Yet we all know some (well really we're down to one) will. 

Ok, just don't bring in Cam and we're fine. Is anyone else concerned that we might turn into the Panthers 2.0? The team we beat to get RR fired? Was there ever a reason given as to why Rivera didn't succeed in Carolina?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

Ok, just don't bring in Cam and we're fine. Is anyone else concerned that we might turn into the Panthers 2.0? The team we beat to get RR fired? Was there ever a reason given as to why Rivera didn't succeed in Carolina?

He made it to a Super Bowl In Carolina. That is success as far as I am concerned. And also remember that the owner that fired him was not the owner that hired him. 

• Sad 1

Happy to learn they are turning the page on Alex.  I wish him the best.  But I still maintain that list of vet options is putrid. Cam Newton can no longer play, we saw that last year and saw why he was available for cheap when nobody wanted him.  Giving up picks and a new deal for Sam Darnold is completely insane and I don't see them doing that.  

My perfect scenario is to find a way to trade up to draft Lance, then roll with the 3 young QBs and see how they sort out.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 1

Unpopular opinion:

Alex Smith is the worst trade we've ever made.  He cost us a 3rd and Fuller (though we signed him later) but, more importantly, he cost us 2 very high draft picks following the 2018 and 2020 seasons. 

Had he not been around for the season that just concluded, we probably finish with the 3rd overall pick and setup to draft our QB of the future.

Had he not been here in 2018, maybe we trade up for Josh Allen or take a chance on Lamar Jackson.  

One way or another, and I said it at the time, he sentenced us to QB purgatory for 4 seasons.  He's a great guy but IMO the worst trade we've made in the Snyder era, maybe ever.

• Like 5

Ugh, when I see some of these names, like "Dalton" and "Tyrod Taylor" specifically, I almost soil myself.

OK. Not almost. 

Please, Dear Crom, God of Conan, do not let this come to pass. No pun intended. At least not at first. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Maybe Alex can go to Dallas and they can combine Alex’s good leg and Dax’s good leg and make a healthy QB.

Dude, that's an absolutely ridiculous statement....they both hurt the same leg.  lol

• Haha 5

41 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Unpopular opinion:

Alex Smith is the worst trade we've ever made.  He cost us a 3rd and Fuller (though we signed him later) but, more importantly, he cost us 2 very high draft picks following the 2018 and 2020 seasons. 

Had he not been around for the season that just concluded, we probably finish with the 3rd overall pick and setup to draft our QB of the future.

Had he not been here in 2018, maybe we trade up for Josh Allen or take a chance on Lamar Jackson.  

One way or another, and I said it at the time, he sentenced us to QB purgatory for 4 seasons.  He's a great guy but IMO the worst trade we've made in the Snyder era, maybe ever.

Far from it. We missed out on a third and Fuller, but he also led us to 11-5 record. Sure the injury was bad but its not like he was injury prone before that. I would easily put the RG3 and Portis trades as worse than the Smith trade. What about TJ Duckett? Brunell? Brandon Lloyd? So many bad trades to choose from. 

I'm pretty surprised they would move on from Smith this early in he offseason.

We are well under the cap and we are in a situation where we didn't have to cut him until we essentially had his "replacement" on the roster. We could hold onto to his rights to avoid any worst case QB scenario. Gimme reduced price Alex over Sam Darnold any day.

Either the FO is 100% sure Alex wont be back in any capacity, or they are doing him a solid by releasing him early to give him the best possible opportunity moving forward, which would be a classy move.

or maybe they have a QB transaction in the pipeline...

A lot of QB moves don't get made until they have to be so this does feel a bit odd. 

We are in a grave condition (Zombie Pun) at QB but the offseason is still young. Plenty of time and players left

Edited by FootballZombie

15 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Far from it. We missed out on a third and Fuller, but he also led us to 11-5 record. Sure the injury was bad but its not like he was injury prone before that. 

Wait, I thought the main downside to him has always been injuries.

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Far from it. We missed out on a third and Fuller, but he also led us to 11-5 record. Sure the injury was bad but its not like he was injury prone before that. I would easily put the RG3 and Portis trades as worse than the Smith trade. What about TJ Duckett? Brunell? Brandon Lloyd? So many bad trades to choose from. 

I must have missed the season where we went 11-5.  Haven't won 11 games since 1991.

Eta- I'll take a shot at the others

RG3- close candidate for sure but at least he showed why we made the trade by flashing the ceiling all of 2012.

Duckett- dumb, didn't hold the franchise back

Portis- great contributer in exchange for a guy who got caught cheating on his wife and had to leave the area to stay married.  Overpay, sure...didnt have much of a choice

Brunell- not even a bad deal, could have been SB contenders if he hadn't got hurt in 05

Lloyd- didn't workout but didn't hold the franchise back

You can make an argument for RG3 being worse, but it wasn't OBVIOUSLT stupid at the time it happened like Alex was.

Edited by 86 Snyder