Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

If we want performance right now we should roll with Heine.

No other QB we saw with the team en 2020 even comes close to the kind of performance he pulled off against what could very well be the next NFL champion. 

Pick a decent QB in the draft and let him sit and learn. Keep Allen as a backup. Done.

Edited by El Mexican
  • Like 6

32 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Newman is mobile.  Freaks as for arm strength combined with mobility intrigue me.  Haskins isn't mobile.  I studied Haskins a lot before the draft, I didn't want him.  Newman's physical skills intrigue me more than Haskins.  I thought Haskins physical skills were overrated -- he has a strong arm but not a rocket and throws an atrocious deep ball.

I admit I have to study Newman more but from what I've seen I've been intrigued by him for months.

I know @KDawg and I didn't agree per se on Ridder.  But we are on the same page on Newman.  That alone should be enough for the WFT to consider Newman. :ols:

Can he read a DF?  That's my biggest Q?  What can you tell me about that from his little previous play?  Let's see how he performs at the Senior Bowl.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, fearlessNelms said:

I just can't get past the feeling that Teddy Bridgewater is somewhere on Rivera's and Turner's radar. His best two years were his rookie year in 2014 and 2015 with Minnesota, when Norv Turner was his OC and Scott Turner was his QB coach. The familiarity is there with the offense and Rivera seems to like bringing in guys that he or his staff are comfortable with.

I'd be fine with him, Allen and heinicke competing for the depth chart.

All three of those quarterbacks give us a chance to win if our defense is elite and as long as Bridgewater didn't cost us much we'd still have the resources to make our defense elite while providing weapons for our offense. 

I'm afraid if we give up too much for a quarterback we're going to artificially create our own window and as much as I'd like a shot at the superbowl I'd prefer some sort of consistency for a decade or more.

Wishful thinking with Snyder as the owner but I'd prefer that over a 2 to 3 year window then another rebuild. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I heard speculation somewhere (SiriusXm NFL maybe?) that the Rams would have to pull a Brock Osweiler to get someone to take that contract off their hands. I don't know if the guarantees can be traded, or remember the specifics of the Osweiler deal ... but the problem is the Rams have no 1st this year to entice teams with.

Now, would I take on that contract and cap for a 2021 2nd rounder and 2022 1st rounder? Hell yeah. Pay the man in 2021 and 2022 as your stopgap QB. Plan to release him with a cap hit of $8m prior to 2023.

Use the picks to move up for Trey Lance. Goff QB1 2021 and 2022, Lance takes over in 2023. Bingo ;)

I'd do that, too. You'd have to convince Rivera to be patient to buy into that, of course. We wouldn't take a cap hit to release him in 2023, btw.

For LA, the problem is they're way over the cap and even after trading Goff I'm not sure they'd have enough cap to add another QB they could win with, and they'd be way down in draft picks to trade for one, or to fill out their roster with cheap young players.

Edited by Rufus T Firefly

8 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Can he read a DF?  That's my biggest Q?  What can you tell me about that from his little previous play?  Let's see how he performs at the Senior Bowl.  

I have to rewatch him, its been months.  He did go through progressions on some of his throws that much I can recall.  But what struck me about him was his had a gun of an arm and could run.   Raw talent.  If he was a polished/complete type of passer he'd be going in the first round versus earlier.  But if I am betting on someone lower in the draft, I'd want tools. 

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-top-10-players-returning-sec-2020

3. QB JAMIE NEWMAN, GEORGIA

Due to Joe Burrow, Tua Tagovailoa and Jake Fromm departing for the NFL, the SEC quarterbacks were beginning to look a smidge weak. That was until Jamie Newman transferred into the conference from Wake Forest. His situation at Wake wasn’t necessarily the best — the offense was up-tempo and RPO-based and utilized Newman’s rushing ability more than it probably should have. While the 6-foot-4, 230-pound Newman owns the athleticism to run with the ball, his arm is far better.

No quarterback was forced to throw into a tight window more than Newman last season, and he overcame that to produce the second-highest passing grade on those throws — behind only Joe Burrow — and the third-lowest rate of uncatchable passes. Newman’s arm strength and accuracy will give Georgia an added boost in the deep passing game, an area it was average in at best last season. On throws of 20-plus yards, Newman once again trailed only Joe Burrow in PFF passing grade. Newman dropped some absolute bombs while giving the defense minimal opportunities to make a play on the ball downfield. With Newman, a run at the National Championship is realistic for Georgia.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I was wondering the same thing. Seems that it's now been reported that BOTH Watson and Stafford have the Jets high on their list.

Um, why? What exactly is it about the current state of the Jets team that screams "This is definitely where my NFL career with thrive"?

My guess would be it's a lot to do with Saleh and Joe Douglas. They have a youngster who looks like a stud LT and some promising receivers. They have a lot of draft capitol and a ton of cap space. If you believe in the brain trust, it's easy to see them being a power in a couple of years.

And you make a lot of money being in NY.

• Like 2

These are all excellent points and a reminder a case can be made against him too, there is always a flip side.  No QB is perfection all the way through. At the same time I’d imagine we can find some prolific stats as well putting him in some elite categories along with some of the greats.  

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

If true that's fine.  I've always thought we were going to draft our QB of the future and with both of the ATH (analytical talking heads) Mayhew, Hurney in Mobile and at the Pro Days I'd expect it most especially if the tweet you posted here is legit.  If the Skins need to move up and they know they do they will get their guy. :)

With the way things are shaking out according to Kiper's latest mock we'd have to go a long way up to get any decent ones.

37 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I have to rewatch him, its been months.  He did go through progressions on some of his throws that much I can recall.  But what struck me about him was his had a gun of an arm and could run.   Raw talent.  If he was a polished/complete type of passer he'd be going in the first round versus earlier.  But if I am betting on someone lower in the draft, I'd want tools. 

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-top-10-players-returning-sec-2020

3. QB JAMIE NEWMAN, GEORGIA

Due to Joe Burrow, Tua Tagovailoa and Jake Fromm departing for the NFL, the SEC quarterbacks were beginning to look a smidge weak. That was until Jamie Newman transferred into the conference from Wake Forest. His situation at Wake wasn’t necessarily the best — the offense was up-tempo and RPO-based and utilized Newman’s rushing ability more than it probably should have. While the 6-foot-4, 230-pound Newman owns the athleticism to run with the ball, his arm is far better.

No quarterback was forced to throw into a tight window more than Newman last season, and he overcame that to produce the second-highest passing grade on those throws — behind only Joe Burrow — and the third-lowest rate of uncatchable passes. Newman’s arm strength and accuracy will give Georgia an added boost in the deep passing game, an area it was average in at best last season. On throws of 20-plus yards, Newman once again trailed only Joe Burrow in PFF passing grade. Newman dropped some absolute bombs while giving the defense minimal opportunities to make a play on the ball downfield. With Newman, a run at the National Championship is realistic for Georgia.

Thanks SIP.  Nice writeup and information.  Seems like he can read defenses and doesn't telegraph the ball or stare down his WR.  I'll have to look up info on him. :)

4 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

No interested in a QB that has maybe 2 more good years left in him and giving up the farm for him.  I hope not.  Rogers has been great and one of a kind but we don't need an over the hill QB here.  

3 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

With the way things are shaking out according to Kiper's latest mock we'd have to go a long way up to get any decent ones.

With all due respect HigSkins I don't put too much into Kiper.  I like other draft gurus.  He's at the bottom of my list. :)

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

No interested in a QB that has maybe 2 more good years left in him and giving up the farm for him.  I hope not.  Rogers has been great and one of a kind but we don't need an over the hill QB here.  

With all due respect HigSkins I don't put too much into Kiper.  I like other draft gurus.  He's at the bottom of my list. :)

ya. Kiper is no ES contingent of draft expertise! :ols:

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

When you're a team that's in "win now" mode that's banking an awful lot on a guy's performance in one game though isn't it? Especially when it's an undrafted guy who we pulled out of an engineering class at Old Dominion, who's been on 4 teams in 5 years, and has also had multiple injuries. Yes he played well when asked but it's not like he went out and threw for 400 yards and 4 TDs. Even if he had, I'd still be wary about anointing him the starter for the next season after one game.

True, but we were banking on him a lot in the Tampa game.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RWJ said:

This got me curious so I looked up who had the most accurate draft in 2020 and then his 2021 mock.  Steve Serby from for the NY Post and here's his first 7 picks - 4 QB's.  Not really that far off from what Kiper or anyone else doing draft predictions is expecting.

Lawrence

Wilson

Sewell

Fields

Chase 

Surtain

Lance

image.png.a0d9fb96a60c02796ff3a17ce1aa09ea.png

Edited by HigSkin

2 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

This got me curious so I looked up who had the most accurate draft in 2020 and then his 2021 mock.  Steve Serby from for the NY Post and here's his first 7 picks - 4 QB's.  Not really that far off from what Kiper or anyone else doing draft predictions is expecting.

Lawrence

Wilson

Sewell

Fields

Chase 

Surtain

Lance

Thanks SIP.  I'm just not a Kiper fan.  :)  Going back many years ago from when he first appeared on ESPN and until present day.  If Skins don't get Stafford they will move up and pay a price for who they want. If RR is serious as has been said in some reports he will get his guy.  :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Newman is mobile.  Freaks as for arm strength combined with mobility intrigue me.  Haskins isn't mobile.  I studied Haskins a lot before the draft, I didn't want him.  Newman's physical skills intrigue me more than Haskins.  I thought Haskins physical skills were overrated -- he has a strong arm but not a rocket and throws an atrocious deep ball.

I admit I have to study Newman more but from what I've seen I've been intrigued by him for months.

I know @KDawg and I didn't agree per se on Ridder.  But we are on the same page on Newman.  That alone should be enough for the WFT to consider Newman. :ols:

I prefer Newman as project to Lance in this draft in all honesty. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

With the NFL world abuzz about his comments and teams talking internally about the prospects of trading for him, Rodgers expounded on his remarks on Tuesday on The Pat McAfee Show: "After the season that I had, potentially winning MVP, and we obviously made another good run, I don't think that there's any reason why I wouldn't be back," Rodgers said. "But there's not many absolutes, as you guys know, in this business. To make an absolute statement about something that is not an absolute, I didn't do it. I guess that's why it went kinda nuts."

Rodgers possesses more than enough leverage to get out of Green Bay. With one simple word, if need be. Retirement. No one can force him to play his age 38 season in Green Bay. He can stay away as long as it takes and give Murphy a list of desired teams and see what he can get done before the league year starts in March. Want to delay the trade until after June 1 for cap purposes? Not a problem. No big deal. We just played a full season with no OTAs and barely any training camp and no preseason.

"A lot of people in the media are reading this wrong," said one very successful longtime NFL agent who has navigated many thorny quarterback situations over the years." Aaron has the ultimate leverage. He can play the retirement card, and play it very realistically. He can take his ball and go home.

"He can pull a Carson Palmer, and I think he will if it comes to that. It's totally different than Deshaun. Rodgers didn't just sign a new deal in September, and he is at the stage of his career – and he is the type of guy – who could say I'm done, and the Packers couldn't ignore it."

Listening to a dude on 980 who was at Senior Bowl practice today, his take was Newman looked the sharpest and has the strongest arm in the group. 

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I prefer Newman as project to Lance in this draft in all honesty. 

I said before the Senior Bowl, Newman is the one I am most intrigued by to see what he does, followed by Mac Jones.  Sounds like he's off to a hot start. 

• Like 1

Anyone who says they wouldn’t want Rodgers here because he’s old is being a massive dope. With this defense and another weapon or two added on offense  this is the Broncos getting Peyton Manning all over again, except Rodgers has not suffered any physical decline whatsoever whereas Manning had to throw 50 TDs with a lame arm and his monster brain power, that first year, and declined further the year after. But with a move like that you willingly give up a bit of the future so that you can own the league for 2-3 years, and you do it gladly even if there’s an end point in sight. Because the reality is it’s nearly impossible to keep a young defensive core together in the first place—building and sustaining a really good defense for a long time is by far the hardest way to become and remain competitive. But pairing that defense with a stud QB for a few years while you can is one of the best ways to make a real run. 

I promise you that Broncos fans do not care that for a long time Peyton was “someone else’s” QB. 

This is not even factoring in the fact that the NFC is ripe for the taking in that window, unlike the AFC. He would crush here for 2-3 years. We’d be untouchable within the division and have a home playoff game for as long as he wanted to play. 

Not gonna happen, but fun to imagine.

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Hmmmmm...cool.  Doesn't appear he's part of any QB trade.

Because it's ridiculous and doesn't really happen. 

And please don't use "but we did it to get Smith", because I'm pretty sure Dorsey or whoever was the GM in the room with the Chiefs were just laughing to see if they could get over on Bruce and the rest of us.

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'm 6'3" and 235, but I'm built more like a doughnut, then a truck. I really big one though.

• Haha 5