Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let’s just address the elephant in the room: Should sports go on?

RichmondRedskin88

NHL still unsure. NBA essentially playing summer leagues, MLS playing in a bubble, MLB games in empty stadiums looking like a local pick up game, college football in question, and NFL unknown.

Should sports go on or should we just close up shop this year? Every sport that has tried to restart in the US has had COVID cases upon starting up or leading up to starting up.  

If the players want to play, I'm fine with it.

I wish the players would be more serious about wearing the masks.   I can understand why that is difficult when playing, but there shouldn't be much excuse in the dugout.  Of the games yesterday, only the Giants seemed to be serious about it.

I'm inclined to say that they should go on so long as the players have a choice to opt out at any time for health reason.  These guys (and girls) are adults, they can make decisions for their own health.  

I also believe that none of the major sports will actually complete the season, but hey, prove me wrong sports.

I am not bothered at all by there being no fans in MLB or NBA.  I think the NBA setup actually looks pretty cool and like what they did with what they have.  Yes it's different but so is pretty much every other aspect of life right now.  People are crying about wearing masks for 10 minutes in a store so I'm not surprised by all the cry babies crying about no fans.

I still don't think the NFL has a season though.  Just too many people on teams and they are all rubbing up on each other all game and they aren't even going to be in any bubble.

Probably not.

I want them to, for purely selfish diversionary reasons, because we could sure use some diversions these days, but it's hard to see the sports now starting back up actually finishing the stump-seasons they're entering.

10 minutes ago, tshile said:

So what about all the people required to make sports happen? It’s not just players and coaches.

watching baseball with no fans and piped in crowd noise is weird. Didn’t really do it for me. 

The fact that the crowd noise pumped in AND the play by play announcer are both from MLB The Show was both comforting and creepy. 

ARod is terrible though. Clearly knows an incredible amount about the game, but is just bad at commentary. 

Matt Vasgersian:  What do you remember about your historical rookie year with the Mariners where you set like 50 rookie records?

ARod: It was fun [prolonged silence]

The fact that the Blue Jays are scrambling to find a home stadium days before their home opening is indicative of how half-baked this entire thing is. In order, I'd say:

1) The English Premier League actually did a pretty good job restarting the season.  There are still important things to be decided (Champions League, Europa, Relegation), but in general, most of the important games were played under normal conditions (sans fans). The key thing for them though is that there is no playoffs in the EPL, so this is the most important distinction against american sports, where the playoffs (the most critical games of the season) will get played under very different conditions. (I will say the 5 subs and the water breaks made it seem like a kids soccer game at times)

1) The NBA and NHL both have pretty well-thought plans but its already July and mentally the season is over for me. I usually get really into the NHL playoffs but we'll see how/if that happens.

3) The NFL had the most time to prepare but is also the riskiest. Every game is a major productiong requiring probably ~300 people to play (players, coaches, trainers, minimal stadium staff, security, officials), so it'll be tricky how to keep ~5,000 people healthy. Also many NFL players probably qualify as high-risk because of their weight. They should seriously consider a scenario where they just play division games and pair off with their cross-conference division for a 10-game season, followed by expanded playoffs.  Then they could potentially not start till late October and still play a full season.

4) MLB has completely botched the situation.  The game they're playing barely resembles baseball, and the 16-team playoff is going to make people freak out.  The very public spats between the PA and owners didn't help the situation.  And as I noted above, one team doesn't even have a home stadium at the moment. They'd be better off canceling the season.

Just now, abdcskins said:

Yes.

I doesn't bother me having no crowds whatsoever. Are you watching the play on the field or the people in the stands? I don't get that. 

(If i'm watching a Brewers home game, a little of both)

I think they should go on as long as players can opt out. 

And baseball should take down their netting and then put the cardboard fans up like the Dodgers did. And when a cutout gets hit, remove it like it's a game within a game. Person with the last cutout remaining gets a prize! 

7 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

(If i'm watching a Brewers home game, a little of both)

Why specifically the Brewers?  Do you like watching Bernie Brewer go down the slide.  And yeah, take down the netting.  It has no purpose currently.  Not that it really matters.

The Olympics were supposed to start today.  They are scheduled to start a year from now.  I wonder if it will happen or what it will be like.  Just think the host country gets all the expense of setting up all the facilities but now won't be able to bank the revenue from the spectators/tourism.

This is a tough one - do I personally crave some sense of normalcy and the entertainment of sports,  of course.  However, I weigh that against the risk in putting on these events- quite frankly its only a matter of time before someone associated with a major sporting event catches the virus and it hits them wrong and they perish - as such, I wonder at what cost.  Really conflicted here - that said, I do agree that adults can make decisions for themselves.

Sports should go on.  On islands.  You can’t trust rich young men to avoid gatherings.  Only way to do it is to sequester them where they can’t escape to distractions where they might be infected.  No infected allowed in, no players out.  

Structure an abbreviated tournament similar to the World Cup.  A relatively quick group stage, followed by a tournament.  series play for the mlb and nba.  

We’d all watch and we all know it.

1 hour ago, Destino said:

Sports should go on.  On islands.  You can’t trust rich young men to avoid gatherings.  Only way to do it is to sequester them where they can’t escape to distractions where they might be infected.  No infected allowed in, no players out.  

Structure an abbreviated tournament similar to the World Cup.  A relatively quick group stage, followed by a tournament.  series play for the mlb and nba.  

We’d all watch and we all know it.

Two words: Frye Fest

10 hours ago, tshile said:

So what about all the people required to make sports happen? It’s not just players and coaches.

This is where I'm at, we keep asking about the players being safe, what about the coaches more susceptible to being symptomatic or like you noted the support staff who are doing it for the money that maybe would rather be home instead of risking this? 

The folks that arent players or coaches arent making millions and probably have ****y healthcare instead.

One of the Yankees players out yesterday was symptomatic, we know a lot of players are hypercompetitive, at what point do we talk about protecting them from themselves?  

@wrilbo67 I'm glad you posted that, how much of this is really about sports or about money?  The virus is spreading out of control right now in this country, is helping it spread so we can have sports delaying being able to actually have sports?

If we had a different administration I would support a drive to cancel all sports right this very moment.  But it's like the push to shutdown the economy, our government is incapable of making that sacrifice worth it right now.  The next administration will, how much damage we talking about doing in the meantime?

I keep seeing and hearing people bring up moving entire sports leagues to islands. What islands can and most importantly are willing to host an entire league? I've heard Hawaii thrown out there by a friend for example as a place for the NFL to play. How many football stadiums do ya'll think Hawaii or another island has? Near as I can tell they only have Aloha stadium and I'm sure some smaller highs school fields. I doubt there is enough playing surface on the island to accommodate a 32 team league.

OK so you figure out the logistics. Has anyone considered if an island that is remote and is having a record number of infected wants a 32 team league, each maybe 100 staff including players, coaches, trainers etc, not to mention the family members that will insist on going with them?

21 hours ago, abdcskins said:

Why specifically the Brewers?  Do you like watching Bernie Brewer go down the slide.  And yeah, take down the netting.  It has no purpose currently.  Not that it really matters.

He's probably talking about "front row Amy."

1 hour ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

How many professional athletes are going to have their careers ended (or worse) because their leagues insisted on  trying to make a season happen in the middle of a pandemic? 

This was my worst fear, and something I have constantly mentioned. We don't know enough about the "Recovery" part of this to send professional athletes out to resume highly athletic activity.

Many if not all, could have some form of lasting damage.

Archived