Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let’s just address the elephant in the room: Should sports go on?

RichmondRedskin88

4 minutes ago, wrilbo67 said:

Well, the one team thing was my nightmare scenario because its already exposed a ton of problems. I guess we're halfway to your nightmare scenario. The biggest problem I see is that these teams are traveling in and out of places that aren't taking the disease seriously. It's not like we've all been responsible and are free to enjoy baseball without fans as the disease winds down (as was the case with the English Premier League).  We're mid-pandemic (if we're lucky/responsible) convincing ourselves that it's over.

Also, where did you read that they broke protocols, or that it was multiple players who did so? The only protocol I know that was broken was choosing to play when they knew were already positive on Sunday.

I'd say that's a big one, right? They played knowing they were positive. And that was a group decision made by many players...

1 minute ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I'd say that's a big one, right? They played knowing they were positive. And that was a group decision made by many players...

Based on your assertion that "they didn't follow protocols," I got the impression that's how the team outbreak started, but I guess that's not the case. And yes, I agree with you that it was completely irresponsible to look to the team shortstop to make a call on that one.

23 minutes ago, wrilbo67 said:

Based on your assertion that "they didn't follow protocols," I got the impression that's how the team outbreak started, but I guess that's not the case. And yes, I agree with you that it was completely irresponsible to look to the team shortstop to make a call on that one.

No, I don't think we'll ever know how someone on the team caught it. But it also doesn't help if one or more of them did go to a strip club (if in fact they aren't supposed to do things like that). Let me be clear - I read that they went to one but haven't fact-checked it. And, like you said, even if they did that might not be how they contracted the virus. 

I so want football. But man, I just don't see how it would work. And there could be some real tragedy involved. The kind we look back at and are ashamed of.

Many coaches are high risk, for example. Is Andy Reid going to wear a hazmat suit all season?  A guy like him gets Covid and he could easily die.

Such a messed up time. 

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2020/07/27/michigan-state-16-players-four-staffers-test-positive-covid-19/5522556002/

Detroit Free Press: Michigan State: 16 student-athletes, four staffers test positive for COVID-19 last week

As members of Michigan State football team remain in quarantine or isolation until early next month, the school announced Monday that 16 student-athletes and four athletic department staffers tested positive for COVID-19 last week

4 hours ago, Springfield said:

What’s the risk of playing ball vs going to the gym or going to the grocery store?

Probably the same comparison as 

going to grocery store

vs

staying in a hotel, riding in busses, riding on plans, living in locker rooms/clubhouses with different people from all over the country, and in general interacting with 30-100 people every day

3 hours ago, wrilbo67 said:

At some point, though, the competitive integrity of the league becomes an issue

🙄

not trying to be mean, but come on 

we’re gonna start talking about the integrity of the game now?

you either want to watch baseball, and accept what you get, or you don’t want to watch baseball. It’s not any more complicated than that. 

If you don't like sports being played under the pandemic; then don't watch it.   

If by some miracle the NFL plays enough of season and has a playoff that leads to a championship; I won't write off the championship.  Yeah, it will have big asterisk because more than likely not every team will play the same amount of games.

We all know why sports is being played.  Money, Money, Money.  There's too much out there for sports not to be played.

Sports will only stop this year, if the virus makes it impossible to proceed.  That hasn't happened yet.  So, will you see teams suspended their seasons while other teams play on.  

Until they can't do it, they will continue.   Evening someone dying for covid, will not stop the attempt to play sports this year.

30 minutes ago, tshile said:

Probably the same comparison as 

going to grocery store

vs

staying in a hotel, riding in busses, riding on plans, living in locker rooms/clubhouses with different people from all over the country, and in general interacting with 30-100 people every day

Id have to imagine that these billion dollar businesses have the ability to keep the players and staff isolated from contamination. Whether they do that or not is another question.

I do think that relying on travel between all these cities is a terrible idea and they should have condensed it to minimize travel and outside exposure. Other side, it can be safe if it’s all done properly.

6 hours ago, tshile said:

🙄

not trying to be mean, but come on 

we’re gonna start talking about the integrity of the game now?

you either want to watch baseball, and accept what you get, or you don’t want to watch baseball. It’s not any more complicated than that. 

it’s the integrity of the game in the context of everything else. If we’d successfully beaten covid and needed to play this brand of faux-baseball to ensure covids demise, I’d be fine with it. But as I pointed in one of previous posts- the games are a joke, the season and schedule are now also a joke, and we’re actively putting players at risk of catching the disease. When you add all that up, the games have no value and they’re endangering people.

the English premier league returned and finished their season. Even though some fans complained the game was competitively compromised, they at least weren’t trying to hold matches while significant portions of the country were still rampant with COVID.

On 7/27/2020 at 11:06 AM, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I thought that MLB could pull it off the best.  Just simply the way the sport is played, it's the perfect social distancing sport by design, with the exception of base runners, there are only three people close together (ump, catcher, batter).  They are saying that it's hard to catch covid19 from surfaces, not impossible, just not as common.  But all it takes is for one player to get it.

The NBA has fewer players, keeping them in a bubble might  work.  If they can't go anywhere, the risk will be extremely lower.  But, there could still be concern from hotel employees, security, etc., since they will most likely be free to go about their way when not at work.  

All of the "no spitting" or "licking fingers" rules...those things worried me most, because that's part of the game. 

I think the NHL has the best chance. Just redesign helmets to include full plexi masks. 

10 hours ago, wrilbo67 said:

it’s the integrity of the game in the context of everything else. If we’d successfully beaten covid and needed to play this brand of faux-baseball to ensure covids demise, I’d be fine with it. But as I pointed in one of previous posts- the games are a joke, the season and schedule are now also a joke, and we’re actively putting players at risk of catching the disease. When you add all that up, the games have no value and they’re endangering people.

the English premier league returned and finished their season. Even though some fans complained the game was competitively compromised, they at least weren’t trying to hold matches while significant portions of the country were still rampant with COVID.

Sports is a diversion. If these adults are willing to suit up and play, then let them. I was telling my wife last night the same thing...whoever wins the 2020 World Series likely won't carry the same weight to most fans, but I'm not watching to see who gets crowned. I'm watching to have entertainment night in and night out. 

It's something to do after 4 months of having nothing to watch. I'd view this differently if the players didn't have an opt-out option and "we" were actually putting players at a risk they haven't chosen to take on. People across the country are choosing whether or not to go to work each day. Why shouldn't those employed in professional sports have that same option? Clearly those who aren't comfortable are able to opt out, defer their salaries, etc. 

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

All sports should have been in a bubble. NBA did it right and NHL is doing a bubble as well.

The NFL had all this time to figure it out and is still screwing it up.

The NFL is still hoping that they’ll get 75k mouth breathers to pack their stadiums and funnel them money.

7 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

All of the "no spitting" or "licking fingers" rules...those things worried me most, because that's part of the game. 

I think the NHL has the best chance. Just redesign helmets to include full plexi masks. 

I have not missed seeing guys spit constantly. 

2 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Do you think so? I would think the NFL would care so much more about making sure they can play games for TV since that's where most of their money comes from anyway. 

This is why them having any fans in the stadium makes no sense.

MLB and NBA are examples and warnings to the NFL, but again, arrogance. 

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

This is why them having any fans in the stadium makes no sense.

MLB and NBA are examples and warnings to the NFL, but again, arrogance. 

Right, I agree. I guess what I'm asking is are there stories pointing to them trying to push for capacity crowds or crowds at all? The last I saw was that preseason games would be crowdless, before they were cancelled. 

9 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Right, I agree. I guess what I'm asking is are there stories pointing to them trying to push for capacity crowds or crowds at all? The last I saw was that preseason games would be crowdless, before they were cancelled. 

Ya, last I checked (and this could be changed now) some NFL stadiums can expect possible 50% capacity for regular season games. 

How many entrances does FedEx have again?  Putting people 6ft apart to get in would stretch that line to the metro stations.  No thanks if they do they, double no thanks if they don't. 

USA Today: What would it take for NFL to shut down season? League mulling contingency plans for addressing COVID-19 outbreaks  

>>>

Here’s what it might take for the NFL to suspend its season this fall: A widespread COVID-19 outbreak that prevents at least six teams from playing in multiple weeks.

Maybe.

The NFL’s contingency plans for addressing COVID-19 outbreaks is still a work in progress as the bulk of teams open training camps this week and several factors are under review for invoking the application of the league’s Emergencies and Unfair Acts policy, according to a person with knowledge of the discussions.

According to this person,the league is considering several markers that could force postponing games, entire weeks or even suspending the season. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because plans are not finalized.<<<

11 hours ago, Elessar78 said:

I apologize if I wrote this already. Adam Shefter in an interview said that it would cost owners more to play in an empty stadium than not play at all.

Ohio State it's playing to 20% capacity.

I could see that being true when you isolate just the operating COSTS. But I would imagine no games also means no TV revenue. If that's true, then I just don't see how not playing would be more profitable. 

Archived