Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

N.F.L.’s Top Lawyer Had Cozy Relationship With Washington Team President

Jeff Pash, the league’s general counsel, brokered penalties, discussed a cheerleading scandal and received perks in emails with the former president of the Washington Football Team.

Oct. 14, 2021

For nearly a decade, the president of the Washington Football Team sent emails to a friend in which he casually joked about Native Americans and racial and political diversity, griped about referees and league initiatives to improve player safety, and arranged tickets and perks for his correspondent. He also thanked the man for getting a fine lifted and for understanding the team’s thorniest troubles.

That man was Jeff Pash, who — as the longtime general counsel of the N.F.L. and a top adviser to Commissioner Roger Goodell — would become responsible for investigating the team that had been run by the very executive he grew close to.

Pash appeared to engage willingly in the back-and-forth, sometimes reassuring the Washington executive, Bruce Allen, who was with the club from 2009 to 2019, not to worry about troubles that would eventually rock the team and the league, including reports about harassment of the club’s cheerleaders.

A trove of 650,000 emails gathered in the league’s investigation of workplace misconduct in the Washington Football Team’s front office has already resulted in the resignation of Jon Gruden as coach of the Las Vegas Raiders, after The New York Times published messages in which he made racist, sexist and homophobic remarks. The league received access to the emails several months before the investigation was completed last summer.

But Allen’s exchanges with Pash, sent from 2009 to 2018, reveal a larger story about a clubby relationship between a top league official and team executives and owners he is expected to oversee.

When the N.F.L. fined the Washington Football Team $15,000 for manipulating its player injury report, Allen reached out to Pash and the penalty was rescinded, a routine outcome, the league said. In another email, Allen expressed concern that the commissioner would accuse him of breaking rules on the signing of free agents, prompting his friend to reassure him, “He knows who it is and that it is not you.”

And after a crisis erupted over allegations of sexual harassment of the Washington cheerleaders, Allen contacted Pash, who offered reassuring words.

“I know that you are on it and would not condone something untoward,” he told Allen.

In emails not involving Pash, however, Allen, Gruden and other men had shared photos of women wearing only bikini bottoms, including one picture of two Washington team cheerleaders.

Pash joined the league in 1997, intersecting with Allen, who was a longtime Raiders and Buccaneers executive before he landed in Washington. Their emails suggest that, when the Washington franchise was in crisis, Pash tended to offer a sympathetic shoulder rather than acting as an impartial arbiter.

...In October 2013, an N.F.L. executive had turned down Allen’s appeal of a $15,000 fine because the team’s coach at the time, Mike Shanahan, had doctored the injury report. Allen wrote back to Pash and the other league officials copied on the email: “BS.”

Pash overruled his staff’s decision to issue the fine, replying to Allen’s email by saying that the team did not need to pay the $15,000 “or any other amount with respect to this matter and you should consider the fine to be rescinded in its entirety.”

The two also seemed to commiserate about politics and the league’s hiring practices.

Pash sympathized with Allen’s frustration over the 2016 hiring of Jocelyn Moore, who became the league’s chief lobbyist on Capitol Hill after working for several Democratic senators and later became the first Black woman to be the league’s top spokesperson.

“Curious — is there a rule against hiring Libertarians, Independents or even a Republican?” Allen asked.

“No,” Pash replied, “but it can sometimes look that way!”

Referring to a rule that requires N.F.L. teams to interview minority candidates for coaching and executive jobs, Allen said, “We have the Rooney rule …. So I’m going to propose a Lincoln Rule at the next meeting.”

...Pash and Allen shared their love of former President Dwight D. Eisenhower and lamented the course of the country during the Obama administration. With mock formality, Pash referred to Allen as “Mr. President,” while Allen addressed Pash as “Counselor.” They flattered each other and sent notes of praise after presentations at league meetings, appearances on television and victories on the field and in the courtroom.They joked about Hooters, the restaurant chain known for the skimpy outfits of its wait staff, and about Allen’s pull with the company, which was co-founded by his friend Edward C. Droste.

“PS — The Hooters at Fedex Field has been reserved for the post game celebration,” Allen wrote to Pash in 2011 after the general counsel and his legal team fought the players union in court during a lockout of its members.

A year later, when the league penalized Washington and Dallas for violating league spending limits, Allen asked to speak with Pash. “Still talking internally about this,” Pash replied. “I am not making any promises as to an outcome. But I can assure you that I am not blowing you off.”

Pash and Allen, as his team spun in and out of crises, joked about the league’s diversity initiatives.

...A few years later, Pash wrote to Allen asking to speak. “Please give me a few minutes — I’m trying to lower a player’s salary at the moment,” Allen responded. Pash wrote back, “The Lord’s work.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/14/sports/football/nfl-washington-emails-jeff-pash.html

• Sad 2

Sheehan's theory this morning, similar to mine, is the dedication stuff to Sean Taylor was indeed planned well in advance, rededicating a Rd after him etc by Fedex field.  But the idea of retiring his jersey was a more of newish thing in part of jack up the PR value of the event.   I guess there is no way to know.  either you take their word for it or not.  either way, it was botched.

Edit:  Sheehan he added he had some behind the scenes conversations about it (implying with people there).  Sheehan typically isn't a spill gossip type but when he does he's usually albeit not always right.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Most likely is that 599K are irrelevant in any way.

But you have to wonder who in the hell archive that many emails?

There's a legal requirement to keep work emails although how long you need to keep them varies by your business and what the emails are about. Rather than leave it up to individuals to pick and choose which can be deleted (and get it wrong), businesses will play it safe and keep everything for as long as they have to, which IIRC varies from 3 to 7 years. I suspect many businesses never bother pruning the emails at all.

• Like 2

Sheehan and Standig talking now.  They both said they checked with alumni coming to the event, they knew Sean Taylor would be honored, the focus on a rededication ceremony for a Rd. near Fedex in his honor, but they didn't know his jersey was going to be retired.  

Sheehan believes they did plan to retire the jersey but the idea of doing it this week was impromptu. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

I can buy into the honoring of Taylor being in the works for awhile (though I reckon this was also a stunt from Ashburn since the heat's turned up considerably since last summer) but this number retirement is 100% cooked up to delfect from the latest round of bad PR to come from the franchise. Nothing adds up to anything but and even if it was sheer incompetence, it really doesn't matter at this point. The kind of good will this franchise has to do to get back in good graces is going to take decades and will almost certainly include the Snyders selling it (which they have no material reason to).

6 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

I can buy into the honoring of Taylor being in the works for awhile (though I reckon this was also a stunt from Ashburn since the heat's turned up considerably since last summer) but this number retirement is 100% cooked up to delfect from the latest round of bad PR to come from the franchise. Nothing adds up to anything but and even if it was sheer incompetence, it really doesn't matter at this point. The kind of good will this franchise has to do to get back in good graces is going to take decades and will almost certainly include the Snyders selling it (which they have no material reason to).

Eh. I don’t think it’ll take decades. 2+ winning seasons, ACTUAL winning seasons, with at least 2 playoff wins, and fans will come back. 

Listening to Ron this morning on 980, felt a bit sorry for him.  Sheehan hitting him up on the payoff/woman story from the WP, hitting him up on the Sean Taylor story, etc.   Sheehan then asks him if he thought turning around the culture here would be this hard considering the constant stream of off the field things that seem to happen nonstop and does he regret doing this. 

I know some don't like him as a coach.   I do.  But even if I didn't like him that much on that front, I think he's a really good guy.  And this team could use a good guy representing them.  He talked about playing at RFK with the Bears and seeing the atmosphere.  Knowing this is an iconic franchise in trouble.  And he said he's genuinely motivated to turn this around.  To me at least he came off 100% sincere. 

My other thing is Ron's reputation >>>>>>>>>>>> Dan.  If Dan fires him I can almost guarantee the league won't think yeah you know this time we will side with Dan.  This isn't 2010 anymore where even a dyfunctional Dan can get a top HC.  He cannot play the young and i am learning nonsense.  That doesn't fly anymore.  Now you got Dan as a proven loser.  With the worst stadium and facilities in the league.  Worst attendance, one of the worst local TV ratings among teams.  And a team bleeding fans.   Scandals.   A lot of baggage and angst. 

This isn't our older sibilings WFT.   The 2000-2017 version.   That was a bad place.  But this is a much IMO bleaker place.  Even over a decade ago, Spags thought he could do better and turned down a job here to stay as a coordinator elsewhere.  If Ron fails here for any reason, I think the fans crying about Jim Fassel potentially coming here back in the day would be seen as the glory years.  I think we'd be fishing at the bottom barrel of coaching prospects. 

I agree with Sheehan who likes to say they outkicked their coverage by landing Rivera.  I know to some that sounds crazy but not to me.  Rivera is no Belichick.  He's not elite.  But you are very unlikely getting name that hot shot prospect coach next time around.   Old school Dan could pull it off. Sure.  But these times IMO are different.  I think we'd be talking about guys like Herm Edwards who couldn't get a HC job otherwise or a Jim Zorn shot in the dark type.  Deebo, Lincoln Riley, guys like that IMO aren't coming here.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sheehan and Standig talking now.  They both said they checked with alumni coming to the event, they knew Sean Taylor would be honored, the focus on a rededication ceremony for a Rd. near Fedex in his honor, but they didn't know his jersey was going to be retired.  

Sheehan believes they did plan to retire the jersey but the idea of doing it this week was impromptu. 

A road near Fed Ex? Yet the plan is to relocate? Not sure renaming a road at this juncture is particularly prudent. Would make more sense to name a road at the new stadium. Though who knows if there ever will be a new stadium?

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

A road near Fed Ex? Yet the plan is to relocate? Not sure renaming a road at this juncture is particularly prudent. Would make more sense to name a road at the new stadium. Though who knows if there ever will be a new stadium?

The road was already changed last year, in September, to Sean Taylor Road. 

4 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

In hindsight that’s a great point.  We know for sure they want out of the stadium and the next stadium might be one we could just do renovations routinely on where we could stay longer but I wonder how that works?  I guess do Sean Taylor St or Lane instead Rd? 

Edit: it was already renamed so I’m confused what exactly they are doing Sunday then road wise?

Edited by RichmondRedskin88
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

The road was already changed last year, in September, to Sean Taylor Road. 

Thanks, I didnt realize that.

4 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

In hindsight that’s a great point.  We know for sure they want out of the stadium and the next stadium might be one we could just do renovations routinely on where we could stay longer but I wonder how that works?  I guess do Sean Taylor St or Lane instead Rd? 

Edit: it was already renamed so I’m confused what exactly they are doing Sunday then road wise?

Just seems like more lipstick on the pig. Truly a shame all the way around.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Jeff Pash, the league’s general counsel, brokered penalties, discussed a cheerleading scandal and received perks in emails with the former president of the Washington Football Team.

Oct. 14, 2021

For nearly a decade, the president of the Washington Football Team sent emails to a friend in which he casually joked about Native Americans and racial and political diversity, griped about referees and league initiatives to improve player safety, and arranged tickets and perks for his correspondent. He also thanked the man for getting a fine lifted and for understanding the team’s thorniest troubles.

That man was Jeff Pash, who — as the longtime general counsel of the N.F.L. and a top adviser to Commissioner Roger Goodell — would become responsible for investigating the team that had been run by the very executive he grew close to.

Pash appeared to engage willingly in the back-and-forth, sometimes reassuring the Washington executive, Bruce Allen, who was with the club from 2009 to 2019, not to worry about troubles that would eventually rock the team and the league, including reports about harassment of the club’s cheerleaders.

A trove of 650,000 emails gathered in the league’s investigation of workplace misconduct in the Washington Football Team’s front office has already resulted in the resignation of Jon Gruden as coach of the Las Vegas Raiders, after The New York Times published messages in which he made racist, sexist and homophobic remarks. The league received access to the emails several months before the investigation was completed last summer.

But Allen’s exchanges with Pash, sent from 2009 to 2018, reveal a larger story about a clubby relationship between a top league official and team executives and owners he is expected to oversee.

When the N.F.L. fined the Washington Football Team $15,000 for manipulating its player injury report, Allen reached out to Pash and the penalty was rescinded, a routine outcome, the league said. In another email, Allen expressed concern that the commissioner would accuse him of breaking rules on the signing of free agents, prompting his friend to reassure him, “He knows who it is and that it is not you.”

And after a crisis erupted over allegations of sexual harassment of the Washington cheerleaders, Allen contacted Pash, who offered reassuring words.

“I know that you are on it and would not condone something untoward,” he told Allen.

In emails not involving Pash, however, Allen, Gruden and other men had shared photos of women wearing only bikini bottoms, including one picture of two Washington team cheerleaders.

Pash joined the league in 1997, intersecting with Allen, who was a longtime Raiders and Buccaneers executive before he landed in Washington. Their emails suggest that, when the Washington franchise was in crisis, Pash tended to offer a sympathetic shoulder rather than acting as an impartial arbiter.

...In October 2013, an N.F.L. executive had turned down Allen’s appeal of a $15,000 fine because the team’s coach at the time, Mike Shanahan, had doctored the injury report. Allen wrote back to Pash and the other league officials copied on the email: “BS.”

Pash overruled his staff’s decision to issue the fine, replying to Allen’s email by saying that the team did not need to pay the $15,000 “or any other amount with respect to this matter and you should consider the fine to be rescinded in its entirety.”

The two also seemed to commiserate about politics and the league’s hiring practices.

Pash sympathized with Allen’s frustration over the 2016 hiring of Jocelyn Moore, who became the league’s chief lobbyist on Capitol Hill after working for several Democratic senators and later became the first Black woman to be the league’s top spokesperson.

“Curious — is there a rule against hiring Libertarians, Independents or even a Republican?” Allen asked.

“No,” Pash replied, “but it can sometimes look that way!”

Referring to a rule that requires N.F.L. teams to interview minority candidates for coaching and executive jobs, Allen said, “We have the Rooney rule …. So I’m going to propose a Lincoln Rule at the next meeting.”

...Pash and Allen shared their love of former President Dwight D. Eisenhower and lamented the course of the country during the Obama administration. With mock formality, Pash referred to Allen as “Mr. President,” while Allen addressed Pash as “Counselor.” They flattered each other and sent notes of praise after presentations at league meetings, appearances on television and victories on the field and in the courtroom.They joked about Hooters, the restaurant chain known for the skimpy outfits of its wait staff, and about Allen’s pull with the company, which was co-founded by his friend Edward C. Droste.

“PS — The Hooters at Fedex Field has been reserved for the post game celebration,” Allen wrote to Pash in 2011 after the general counsel and his legal team fought the players union in court during a lockout of its members.

A year later, when the league penalized Washington and Dallas for violating league spending limits, Allen asked to speak with Pash. “Still talking internally about this,” Pash replied. “I am not making any promises as to an outcome. But I can assure you that I am not blowing you off.”

Pash and Allen, as his team spun in and out of crises, joked about the league’s diversity initiatives.

...A few years later, Pash wrote to Allen asking to speak. “Please give me a few minutes — I’m trying to lower a player’s salary at the moment,” Allen responded. Pash wrote back, “The Lord’s work.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/14/sports/football/nfl-washington-emails-jeff-pash.html

Bruce Allen ****ing about the Rooney rule when he is the smug face of nepotism is too rich.

• Like 7

This is all you need to know to put the dots together that the team (danny boy!) knew some **** was coming and to keep this announcement in their hip pocket to trot out when things were their worst. It's the very kind of despicable **** dan has been doing since the day he owned the company. 

Anyone at this not seeing dan is a total POS and cancer for this team has decided facts and reason no longer exist. This is a POS move that Sean and his family should not be dragged through. Every time I think I can't hate this despicable piece of human garbage any worse he finds a way to make it happen. 

• Like 3

Sheehan's theory this morning, similar to mine, is the dedication stuff to Sean Taylor was indeed planned well in advance, rededicating a Rd after him etc by Fedex field.  But the idea of retiring his jersey was a more of newish thing in part of jack up the PR value of the event.   I guess there is no way to know.  either you take their word for it or not.  either way, it was botched.

Edit:  Sheehan he added he had some behind the scenes conversations about it (implying with people there).  Sheehan typically isn't a spill gossip type but when he does he's usually albeit not always right.

If this is true, Jason Wright is a liar.  

"the team’s coach at the time, Mike Shanahan, had doctored the injury report. "

- Not surprised by this whatsoever. Might have done something similar while in Denver. Not to mention I'm sure he wasn't the first NFL coach to do so.

"We have the Rooney rule …. So I’m going to propose a Lincoln Rule at the next meeting.”

- I can't figure out what this is supposed to mean...anyone?

Edited by Califan007