Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

21 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

On the name thing briefly, I hate Redwolves (what the hell is a red wolf anyway??) but Washington Wolves is pretty kick-ass. Especially if they keep the current colours and uniforms like in that picture. You could have a wolf howl when we score and as TK says have some sort of wolf den theme. Alliterative names are always neat too 😎

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_wolf

It’s a species of wolf that’s actually native to the American southeast.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I do agree that I like its the GM title for whatever that means.  Weird that no one we've had was named GM post Casserly.  At least you got the buck stops here type of title for a change. 

Don't know if the below is true but it could be.   I've heard a zillion times during this process (including from Ron's interviews) that selecting players is only one of the GM duties and far from all of it. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listened to a Carolina reporter just now.  He likes him.  He said he's a good people person.  Has hired good people including Brandon Beane who became the Bills GM.   He's into the personalities of players as to evaluations. 

He talked about how he can be hands on evaluating players, talked abut how he fell in love with Jeremy Chinn.  He gets props for me on that one, he was one of my favs predraft.

If the story Sheehan and the Carolina reporter just told is true then he's a good guy to have on your team. I mean the owner was about to fire Ron after starting 1-4 or 1-5 and Hurney says no fire me, Ron is building something here. 

- Says that most arguments between GM and coach go to coach, but they happen infrequently (not sure if this is Hurley or Pollian though). 

One thought about this is that we are (Ron is) building an ultimate team to go against Dan (who is the ultimate villian who we have a Batman cannot kill type thing. he'll just always be there). So the question becomes how do we put a team together. And if loyalty and having one vision is a critical part of that then I understand. Its like a pirate ship where you've got to pick guys who are good at their job but also will not backstab you for their own personal gain. How long til Dan comes along and gets bored and says, "there's this QB at this school I've been looking at and I think we should bring him in". Hopefully having 3 or 4 guys who are willing to say no - and have some power can give some resistance. Ultimately it may be futile though. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

If the story Sheehan and the Carolina reporter just told is true then he's a good guy to have on your team. I mean the owner was about to fire Ron after starting 1-4 or 1-5 and Hurney says no fire me, Ron is building something here. 

- Says that most arguments between GM and coach go to coach, but they happen infrequently (not sure if this is Hurley or Pollian though). 

One thought about this is that we are (Ron is) building an ultimate team to go against Dan (who is the ultimate villian who we have a Batman cannot kill type thing. he'll just always be there). So the question becomes how do we put a team together. And if loyalty and having one vision is a critical part of that then I understand. Its like a pirate ship where you've got to pick guys who are good at their job but also will not backstab you for their own personal gain. How long til Dan comes along and gets bored and says, "there's this QB at this school I've been looking at and I think we should bring him in". Hopefully having 3 or 4 guys who are willing to say no - and have some power can give some resistance. Ultimately it may be futile though. 

Yeah to me its the perfect description of what to do.  It took me a long time to fall on this thought but I started thinking about my job while isn't in sports isn't a mile off of the structure of a typical sports team in some aspects.  It's about W-L.  It's stressful with ups and downs.   It's about multiple people rowing the oars.  We got media coverage.  We got different bosses some whom are easy, some who aren't.  I can think of give or take 8 clients I've had with similar style to Dan.  One key I find is a staff that has its each other back.   Otherwise it easily turns into divide and conquer.  And people's drive for self preservation leads to dysfunction with dudes like Dan IMO. 

I guess will see but if this protects Kyle Smith (don't know if it does though) I don't need a 2nd person. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Hurney in an advisory capacity along with the hire of another, qualified and proven GM would be perfectly fine with me. We can only react to the reports we’re getting, conditional to the narrative of the moment. I don’t think anyone would have an issue with the above scenario if a guy like Cowden is the big hire and Hurley is an advisor that he and Rivera both trust. That’s the type of spot where he belongs. The GM title and position, that’s another thing. 

Exactly this. If Hurney is GM  and that's it, then this is a really disappointing move. If Hurney is GM but Kyle gets a promotion to AGM and it's clear that Hurney is a stopgap until Kyle is ready to take the reigns and Kyle will retain most of the draft responsibilities, sure I can buy into it although I don't love it. If Hurney is an advisor and we get Cowden or someone in then I'm fully on board and it's a great move.

Edited by UKskins
  • Like 1

To me, this could go down two polarizing paths:

Hurney is hired to be GM, we don't get cowden or schoen, and KS walks in near future.  Awful.

OR

Hurney is hired to be GM, grooms KS to take over in a few years.   Great move.

I'm optimistic it's the latter.  Hopefully those conversations have taken place behind the scenes and we just don't know it.

Edited by KillBill26
  • Like 2

Do we have a count on the current size of our scouting department? And how they're assigned? How does that compare to Carolina's scouting department over the years? How does it compare to the league? One of the reasons I was a proponent of Bruce Allen was that we were supposedly doing better in this area, but I had nothing to base this on other than what other fans on here told me and what was reported at redskins.com. I saw (particularly in the years since Marty lefy) that we are doing a lot better in the draft (seriously compare 2014-2020 to 1999-2013) but is that all Scot M and Kyle S or is it the guys who are going to the games (assuming we have more of those guys). 

What I'm really wondering is how much will we miss Kyle if he does leave? How good are our scouts below him? I was excited about Doug W.'s promotion because of Kyle S was under him and I thought he was a good find. Do we have any other good finds who are likely good scouts who could get a promotion? Like, who discovered Kameron Curl, maybe they should be considered. 

12 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

To me, this could go down two polarizing paths:

Hurney is hired to be GM, we don't get cowden or schoen, and KS walks in near future.  Awful.

OR

Hurney is hired to be GM, grooms KS to take over in a few years.   Great move.

I'm optimistic it's the latter.  Hopefully those conversations have taken place behind the scenes and we just don't know it.

I wouldn't go to either extreme. The question in scenario 1 is who is the next guy up. We only found out about Kyle S because we messed up the Scot M so badly. But suddenly he has emerged as a scouting hero. Maybe we have another good scout in the wings. Or maybe we have scenarion2 that you mention. Or maybe Hurney is just the GM he was in carolina but we are drafting all pro / HOF players in the first 2 or 3 rounds vs just drafting above average players. What scares me is he only drafted Will Grier, Cam Newton and Jimmy Clausen at QB and only one of those has worked out to this point. Scott Turner did find 2 guys as UDFAs though (and I wonder how involved Hurney was in those pickups). 

But what I was bringing up as a problem with Kyle S, he's not great at every position. It seems that Hurley has drafted good players at DE, QB, LB, T, C, RB, DB, WR. That's a whole team. Its not one draft but he's shown ability to pick players. And its not just top of the draft - some of these guys are in bottom half of the first and second and third rounds. It'd be great to mix that with Smith's late round finds and UDFAs, but lets be real. Smith's late round finds have been guys we are happy they didn't trip over their own shoelaces. They haven't been James Thrash type players who make a name for themselves in this league. We just cut SDH who was seen as a late round gem for quite a while. 

Building teams often comes with some losing, particularly upfront, so records can be skewed, but the 107-133 isn't impressive.  And in this case, the losing came on the back end.  Hurney's last 7 years as GM in Carolina were 40-72.   Fun fact, Bruce Allen's last 7 years were marked by 41-70-1.  Just sayin, I get the situation's a little different.  But not sure how the working relationship and Ron being comfortable with him is going to translate into actual results.  But I'm open minded, so we'll see.  Seems like a good guy.

Having said that, I was not aware until 10 seconds ago that he was a Montgomery County boy, born and raised.  Now I feel like I gotta cut him some slack. lol

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

We just cut SDH who was seen as a late round gem for quite a while. 

We'll see what we get out of these players over the next few years, but round 5-7 since 2017 have yielded:

Chase Roullier -- 6th, 2017

Tim Settle -- 5th, 2018

Cole Holcomb -- 5th, 2019

Jimmy Moreland -- 7th, 2019

Kelvin Harmon -- 6th 2019

Khleke Hudson -- 6th, 2020

Kam Bam Curl -- 7th, 2020

That's three solid starters, a big rotational piece in Settle, and three more decent depth/contributing pieces in Moreland (who I am less than thrilled with overall, but for a 7th rounder? He's a steal), Harmon, and Hudson. I'm going to assume that's better than most teams?

I crap on Russell for his over-reactions at times, but he has some solid connections and some good sources for stuff like this

Edited by Riggo#44
  • Like 4

Not really excited about the Hurney hire if true.   Maybe we should have the team name be Panthers North.

And now that the season's over here's a fun Snyder stat for you.

All but 7 of the 32 NFL teams have been in a conference championship game since 1999, the year Snyder took over the Washington Football Team.  They are the Cowboys, Bengals, Browns, Lions, Texans, Dolphins and Washington.  These 7 teams are your perennial losers and we’re one of them.     🥳

• Like 1

I agree that having someone with a title of GM is progress, but that says way more about Washington than it does anything else.  I like the idea of Hurney being here to mentor Smith so he can take the reigns, but that sounds more storybook right now than anything legitimate.  If Hurney is hired as GM and Kyle is promoted to AGM, everything looks and sounds a bit better. 

• Like 2