Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

Again I don’t understand the notion that Smith is like a 6 time SB GM sitting in our front office being snubbed.  We’ve already established the good draft picks were a collaboration.  Don’t you think if he was some god of gms we’d make him it or some team would have requested to interview by now?  People need to seriously pump the brakes on the hype train.  People prepared to go full mutiny on Ron and such because Kyle may leave.  We’ve had a bunch of FO leave.  Outside of Sean McVay how many of those would you be banging the doors down to get back? 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, -JB- said:

I mean just last year Snyder hand picked Haskins.  Nothing has ever changed or ever will unless he’s forced to sell the team.  No faux organizational structure he tries to conjure up can ever fool me into believing otherwise.

I can't say that nothing has changed.  I think Ron has been calling the shots since he's been here and that Snyder has generally been hands off.  The fact that we didn't bring in a single big name free agent last offseason (despite having a lot of cap space) and the benching then cutting of Haskins this past season both scream Ron's in charge.  Snyder's off-field distractions and winning the division probably helped keep Snyder quiet.  My hope is that sustained winning will buy the front office some good will and help keep Snyder from stepping in and overriding the personnel guys.  But the minute we start losing I suspect Snyder will reach for the reins again. 

The biggest knocks I've read on Hurney was that he missed on players outside of the 1st round and over-payed guys on contracts. Here in Washington, we have Rob Rogers doing contracts so that problem is handled and we have Eric Stokes and his staff, plus Kyle (if he stays), and the input of coaches who have done well with their choices (Turner for Antonio Gibson, Hoener for Logan Thomas).

I'm okay with things if there is more to come. Still in wait and see mode, though.

2 minutes ago, Long Time Fan said:

I can't say that nothing has changed.  I think Ron has been calling the shots since he's been here and that Snyder has generally been hands off.  The fact that we didn't bring in a single big name free agent last offseason (despite having a lot of cap space) and the benching then cutting of Haskins this past season both scream Ron's in charge.  Snyder's off-field distractions and winning the division probably helped keep Snyder quiet.  My hope is that sustained winning will buy the front office some good will and help keep Snyder from stepping in and overriding the personnel guys.  But the minute we start losing I suspect Snyder will reach for the reins again. 

Snyder dealing with all of the non football related distractions is the only reason he wasn’t as involved this season.  When it blows over as it always does he will be back to his normal rooting.  Turmoil has followed him like a dark cloud for 20 years!

• Like 1

Just now, -JB- said:

Snyder dealing with all of the non football related distractions is the only reason he wasn’t as involved this season.  When it blows over as it always does he will be back to his normal rooting.  Turmoil has followed him like a dark cloud for 20 years!

Cool.  And Ron will walk out to 4-5 offers and everyone will know what Dan did and there will be a uprising and may become so toxic that NFL owners have to step in.  So I dare him to try it because other he gets run out of town or the franchise just folds. And the NFL owners will not let a wealthy franchise fold so that leaves one option. 

I've never even heard of Eric Stokes until just a few days ago. Hes the Director of Pro Personnel in his 1st season and guess where he came from? Carolina obviously. If anybody is getting groomed for GM it's definitely him. It almost seems like him and Kyle Smith have the same job. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, -JB- said:

You don't have to convince me that the team would be better off without Snyder.  I've personally signed petitions trying to encourage him to sell the team.  But I don't think he's going any where.  So at this point all I can do is hope that he sees how the team has improved when people with football acumen were allowed to make football-related decisions and that he continues to sit on his hands while the team is winning.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Again I don’t understand the notion that Smith is like a 6 time SB GM sitting in our front office being snubbed.  We’ve already established the good draft picks were a collaboration.  Don’t you think if he was some god of gms we’d make him it or some team would have requested to interview by now?  People need to seriously pump the brakes on the hype train.  People prepared to go full mutiny on Ron and such because Kyle may leave.  

God of GMs?

More like a dude with a pedigree that's put together some solid results in a place where that is difficult to do.  We could call every draft pick ever in the history of the league a 'collaboration' because that's how it works.  Whether or not he's qualified to be a GM right now is beyond me, but it would make sense to do what it takes to keep the guy around as it would appear he deserves that much.

We’ve had a bunch of FO leave.  Outside of Sean McVay how many of those would you be banging the doors down to get back? 

As if Sean McVay alone is the only guy to leave here and make something of himself.  It's actually quite sad how much talent has been in this organization and either got fired or left on their own free will.

I say that not to say that Kyle is destined to be the next great GM in the NFL, but to pretend that we haven't been known for letting talent walk and elevating garbage ever since Dan took charge of the team is naive to say the least.

28 minutes ago, Long Time Fan said:

You don't have to convince me that the team would be better off without Snyder.  I've personally signed petitions trying to encourage him to sell the team.  But I don't think he's going any where.  So at this point all I can do is hope that he sees how the team has improved when people with football acumen were allowed to make football-related decisions and that he continues to sit on his hands while the team is winning.

He’ll never sit on his hands for too long.  I’m sure has already been in discussion with Rivera about trading the farm for Deshaun Watson.  He always gets what he wants.

25 minutes ago, -JB- said:

He’ll never sit on his hands for too long.  I’m sure has already been in discussion with Rivera about trading the farm for Deshaun Watson.  He always gets what he wants.

You seem to be ignoring the fact that he is currently under investigation by the league for serious and systemic sexual misconduct within the organization and also at war with all of his business partners over ownership interests.  His plate is full of clear and present danger.  This is why it is *currently* a different than ever before.  Now these matters could be resolved and he goes right back to meddling, sure.  They could also be resolved in such a way he is no longer the owner.

Ron seems to be taking this opportunity to insulate himself by hiring several senior executives. If Snyder returns, hes going to have a more difficult time getting what he wants.  If Snyder doesnt return and a new owner arrives, hes going to have to fire a whole bunch of respected, senior executives in order to install his own people.  Certainly not impossible but its a steeper hill to climb for sure.

Meanwhile, again...HUGE point here...we are hiring a General Manager and we arent hearing Snyder's name at all.  Its a title we havent given out in decades and hes not even the one doing it.

Meanwhile Russell keeps hinting at major stuff coming down the pike.

Id say theres a lot happening but itd be a ridiculous understatement.

6 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

You seem to be ignoring the fact that he is currently under investigation by the league for serious and systemic sexual misconduct within the organization and also at war with all of his business partners over ownership interests.  His plate is full of clear and present danger.  This is why it is *currently* a different than ever before.  Now these matters could be resolved and he goes right back to meddling, sure.  They could also be resolved in such a way he is no longer the owner.

Ron seems to be taking this opportunity to insulate himself by hiring several senior executives. If Snyder returns, hes going to have a more difficult time getting what he wants.  If Snyder doesnt return and a new owner arrives, hes going to have to fire a whole bunch of respected, senior executives in order to install his own people.  Certainly not impossible but its a steeper hill to climb for sure.

Meanwhile, again...HUGE point here...we are hiring a General Manager and we arent hearing Snyder's name at all.  Its a title we havent given out in decades and hes not even the one doing it.

Meanwhile Russell keeps hinting at major stuff coming down the pike.

Id say theres a lot happening but itd be a ridiculous understatement.

Hopefully Snyder is forced to sell.  Otherwise just more of the same.

14 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Hopefully Snyder is forced to sell.  Otherwise just more of the same.

Exactly...the off-field things are going to come to a head and have some sort of outcome/resolution. If the outcome is that Snyder is still the owner, why would anyone believe that he won't turn his attention back to the team (assuming he's even been "hands-off" this entire time)? 

Those saying "he'd be nuts to <insert meddling here> or else Ron will leave" are ignoring the fact that he's meddled with every front office and coaching staff he's ever had. Why would he treat Rivera any differently? We aren't talking about Joe Gibbs (a personal hero) or Vince Lombardi here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I've never even heard of Eric Stokes until just a few days ago. Hes the Director of Pro Personnel in his 1st season and guess where he came from? Carolina obviously. If anybody is getting groomed for GM it's definitely him. It almost seems like him and Kyle Smith have the same job. 

Its possible Ron is getting him ready to be the guy, if you look at his Bio it's not as if he lacks experience.

As the director of college scouting for the Panthers, Stokes oversaw a college scouting staff that was tasked with targeting and tracking draft-eligible prospects and working with area scouts. He was responsible for the pre-draft evaluation process at the NFL Combine, pro days and visits by draft-eligible players. 

Prior to joining Carolina, Stokes spent two seasons (2014-15) as the assistant general manager of the Miami Dolphins. In his role, Stokes assisted in all aspects of player evaluation and acquisitions at the professional and collegiate levels, including the daily management and makeup of the Dolphins roster as well as guiding the team's preparation for the annual NFL Draft. 

From 2012-13, Stokes was the director of college scouting for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Prior to joining the Buccaneers, Stokes spent 12 seasons as a member of the Seattle Seahawks scouting staff, working as an area scout (2000-01, 2005-09) and pro personnel assistant (2002-04) before serving as assistant director of college scouting from 2010-11. In that role, Stokes was instrumental in bringing in defensive standouts safeties Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor, linebacker Bobby Wagner and cornerback Richard Sherman.

If Hurney gets the GM title, we aren’t getting a real candidate like Cowden to be the personnel guy. It would need to be a promotion to GM to steal someone like him, and all reports are that the GM title is Hurney’s (which is unnecessary if he’s acting in an advisory role btw, he’s not even employed right now—people are just making themselves feel better). 

So once again instead of the hot options around the league, we hire someone who was out of the NFL and is willing to overlook a non-traditional power structure (is that why we couldn’t pull a guy like Cowden or didn’t bother interviewing Schoen?) Sounds familiar. 

People feeling positive about this because it means Kyle is likely being groomed, the beat reporters don’t seem too confident in that idea. 

People who understand that but are feeling positive because of the reports that we’re bringing in a second guy, a talent guy, to collaborate with Hurney and Rivera—great, it’ll have to be someone who doesn’t require the GM title to come here, apparently. So it’s likely not a universally lauded GM candidate, or its someone currently out of the NFL. 

None of this feels good and I’m a huge Rivera guy. That’s just going on what we know, idk why we have to feel the need to drink the Kool-Aid just bc we “believe in Ron”. Who cares. I’m 100% behind Rivera but this move smells bad at first glance. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

If Hurney gets the GM title, we aren’t getting a real candidate like Cowden to be the personnel guy. It would need to be a promotion to GM to steal someone like him, and all reports are that the GM title is Hurney’s (which is unnecessary if he’s acting in an advisory role btw, he’s not even employed right now—people are just making themselves feel better). 

So once again instead of the hot options around the league, we hire someone who was out of the NFL and is willing to overlook a non-traditional power structure (is that why we couldn’t pull a guy like Cowden or didn’t bother interviewing Schoen?) Sounds familiar. 

People feeling positive about this because it means Kyle is likely being groomed, the beat reporters don’t seem too confident in that idea. 

People who understand that but are feeling positive because of the reports that we’re bringing in a second guy, a talent guy, to collaborate with Hurney and Rivera—great, it’ll have to be someone who doesn’t require the GM title to come here, apparently. So it’s likely not a universally lauded GM candidate, or its someone currently out of the NFL. 

None of this feels good and I’m a huge Rivera guy. That’s just going on what we know, idk why we have to feel the need to drink the Kool-Aid just bc we “believe in Ron”. Who cares. I’m 100% behind Rivera but this move smells bad at first glance. 

If this fails, its on Rivera for sure. He gets no passes, a division title on a 7-9 record won't allow me to overlook him only hiring all of his buddies.

All we know is we hired him to be the GM and he wasn't close to the most qualified candidate. Everything else is speculation and like you said, meant to make people feel better. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 2

I don't understand why people care about this so much.  We did okay this year and didn't even have a GM.  It sounds like Rivera was calling Hurney a lot to ask how to do this and that so if Rivera wants to bring him in to help off-load some of his administrative responsibilities, I think it is a good move.  I couldn't care less what the guy's title will be or if we have a structure that fits fan's expectations.  Ron was hired to run the show so just have to roll with it and see how it goes.  I hope Smith stays but if he doesn't, it wasn't like he was making the rounds on the interview circuit this time around.  Others (i.e. other teams) must not feel he is ready as well.  I mean look at it this way...why is Rivera calling Hurney to ask how to do stuff?  If Smith was ready, it seems like that would have been unnecessary. 

• Like 3

Just now, Burgundy Yoda said:

It would be a lateral move at best for Cowden, I highly doubt he takes the position if he isnt the GM. 

That's what I'm thinking is that in the end Cowden or Stokes is named GM and Hurney is Senior Advisor.  I could be wrong though and Hurney is the GM but we still haven't heard anything is official yet.