Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

Interestingly nobody has addressed my argument that if we were drafting in the top-5 and thus rewarded with the position of coaching one of the Senior Bowl teams, all anybody here would be talking about is the silver lining of how important it is that Rivera and our coaching staff have that up close time with all those guys in a year where we need QB. Because any tiny bit of extra info you can gather is worthwhile, people would be talking about what an underrated blessing it is. Because that’s how the fan mind works when there’s legitimate positive vibes to be found.

So if you admit that the majority would be feeling that way…there’s really no logical reason to see Rivera skipping this as any sort of positive, other than a conscious or subconscious avoidance of negative vibes. Neutral, maybe. But I’d prefer my head decision-maker who has to stake his job on a QB to take any tiny edge he can get even if it might amount to nothing. 

And as myself and others have already pointed out, it’s one of the biggest networking functions of the offseason for coaches, scouts, and agents. Stuff will be going down at the Senior Bowl and having your respected, charismatic decision maker there can only be a positive. 

If his dad is sick, I get it completely and understand and support his decision. But I refuse to spin it as a positive or as a “doesn’t matter” thing, it clearly does. 

17 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

This is frustrating, heartbreaking, and downright infuriating lol. Most teams that in retrospect had a stud coaching lineup, they won something to show for it. This coaching tree has flourished even though it’s roots were rotten and it’s parent tree bore no fruit in Washington. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

I'll raise you this story from 2013 https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/kyle-shanahan-staff-inexperience-at-core-of-redskins-dysfunction/

As a former member of the organization put it: “Kyle ****es about everything, and then his father has to fix it. He ****es about the food in the cafeteria, he ****es about the field, he ****es about the equipment. He complains and then Mike takes care of it. Kyle is a big problem there. He is not well liked.”

Quarterbacks coach Matt LaFleur worked with Kyle Shanahan in Houston and had only two years experience as an “offensive assistant” with the Texans prior to becoming the Redskins QB coach. Similarly, receivers coach Mike McDaniel was a lower-level assistant on the Texans staff before coming to Washington. Tight ends coach Sean McVay’s only prior NFL experience to joining Washington came in 2008 as an offensive assistant in Tampa.

“McVay is really the only one of those kids qualified to do what he’s doing,” said one member of the organization.

McDaniel is likely to become a head coach after this season. Anyone have a picture of all four of them?

I mean Kyle was right about all that and expected a professional top of the league environment for the staff and players. The field sucked, the workout equipment and weight room sucked, the food and cafeteria sucked, the buildings and offices sucked. A lot of that still stands. The facilities blow and someone who liked to leak turned it into “Kyle ****es about everything” in the media lol. Wild to look back on. I mean the guy seems like a douche but in a normal tunnel-vision football guy way. Everyone with potential in that time period was treated so poorly and smeared so much on their way out it’s sad. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Ron is a family man. It’s probably important he be there for his dad’s birthday. Maybe his dad is in poor health and this maybe the last time, he will be able to spend time with him. After dealing with cancer; think family is even more important now.

Ron knows the stakes this offseason. The senior bowl won’t be only time he gets a chance to see prospects.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I mean Kyle was right about all that and expected a professional top of the league environment for the staff and players. The field sucked, the workout equipment and weight room sucked, the food and cafeteria sucked, the buildings and offices sucked. A lot of that still stands. The facilities blow and someone who liked to leak turned it into “Kyle ****es about everything” in the media lol. Wild to look back on. I mean the guy seems like a douche but in a normal tunnel-vision football guy way. Everyone with potential in that time period was treated so poorly and smeared so much on their way out it’s sad. 

In hindsight, this becomes more interesting. 

Now, I remember thinking highly of Kyle (though I thought he gave up on the run too quickly) as an offensive coordinator back when he was with us. In fact, I remember quite a few wishing it was possible to fire the father and keep the son. Me included. What he did with RGIII that year was magical and his ability to flip the script with Kirk and play a completely different style without the team stumbling was impressive. However, I thought Mike was very much burning bridges on his way out and a malcontent. Now, I wonder how much of that was Bruce Allen. We know Bruce was masterful at creating scapegoats to deflect blame away from himself. He created so many villains that the Redskins became an unlikable team and I think that, even more than losing, led to the decline in the fan base.

On the other hand, I still think Mike had to go. His record was awful minus RGIII's rookie season. His attitude and his team's attitude on the field was terrible.

• Like 2

I forgot where I read it, but I recall seeing eons ago that Dan used to give Jerry a hard time because the WFT won a playoff game and at that juncture Dallas didn't during the time Dan and Jerry owned their teams at the same time.  Pathetic that it was a cause of celebration for Dan.  that obviously didn't hold. 

I like Ron and trust him.  And unlike some here, I don't even mind the coach centric structure because digging through it, Ron doesn't come off like he's the defacto evaluator.  He's more of the sign off on others decisions type of manager as to personnel.  And in his shoes, I wouldn't want Dan to have a GM indebted to him which tends to lead for that dude to be co-opted by Dan.  And in turn, it becomes easier for Dan to make personnel moves in the shadows.

On the other hand, reading about Shanny, he did fancy himself too often for my taste as the defacto evaluator.  So if Ron wanted to toy with evalautions and wear both hats, I'd be concerned.  But he doesn't seem to roll like that.  He seems to kick in with his take after listening to others.  And as far as the draft goes, it seems like his part is interviewing the players that his evaluators wants, and Ron's role is mostly to scope out their personalities.   And I think Ron has good people skills and so i am cool with him taking on that role. 

I also didn't mind Kyle Smith leaving.  I like Kyle.  But there is nothing out there that I recall that indicates a power struggle between Kyle and Ron.  instead everything seems to point to Dan and Bruce are at war behind the scenes and Kyle is Bruce's best friend's son.  Presenting an awkward situation. 

My one beef is if you are getting rid of Kyle get another Kyle type.  I am a bit jealous reading on twitter the Giants fans taking victory laps that their team is finally shopping in the deep end of the pool for the up and comer evaluators like Schoen among others.  Seems like the Giants like us, didn't take that FO game that seriously, as for fishing for the next Chris Ballard type.  Now they are finally fed up and look to be doing a deep dive in finding that guy. 

I even get why Hurney was hired because he gets the adminstration side of that job which apparently is intense and supposedly Kyle Smith didn't have that part down.  And in Ron's shoes I'd also add someone like that who has my back.  I think that's critical in a toxic environment that traditionally has existed there.  But I would have added another talent evaluator.

I know Tim Gribble has been the college evaluator even under Kyle.  Maybe he's one of those top guys?  I don't know.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I forgot where I read it, but I recall seeing eons ago that Dan used to give Jerry a hard time because the WFT won a playoff game and at that juncture Dallas didn't during the time Dan and Jerry owned their teams at the same time.  Pathetic that it was a cause of celebration for Dan.  that obviously didn't hold. 

16 years since a playoff win. Oof.

22 minutes ago, OMacAttack said:

16 years since a playoff win. Oof.

In a perverse way, this shows just how magic Joe Gibbs was. Ten years out of football entirely and not nearly the coach he was in his prime, he was the only coach capable of getting a Dan Snyder owned team a playoff win. 

better than Marty, Better than Mike, better than Gruden, and so far better than Rivera. 

• Like 5

The sign of a great coach is that they recruit, develop and build a great staff. 

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Mike Shanahan was THE best coach this organization has ever had outside of Joe Gibbs. We can thank little Napoleon and Robert's daddy for pissing him off badly enough that he flat out quit on this dumpster fire of an organization. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mooka said:

GM picks the coaches/players.

Coaches coach the players. 

Danny Boy still trying to be Jerry Jones. 

And both will be home this weekend watching the playoffs

Wish Danny had spent more time emulating a classier success story than the always falls short of expectations Jerry

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

The sign of a great coach is that they recruit, develop and build a great staff. 

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Mike Shanahan was THE best coach this organization has ever had outside of Joe Gibbs. We can thank little Napoleon and Robert's daddy for pissing him off badly enough that he flat out quit on this dumpster fire of an organization. 

Shanny can coach and easily the best coach of the Dan era. Unfortunately hes an asshole and a horrifically bad talent evaluator. The rosters he left Denver and here after leaving shows that.

Shanny the GM failed Shanny the HC. I have the same feeling with Ron here

Edited by Zim489
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zim489 said:

Shanny the GM failed Shanny the HC. I have the same feeling with Ron here

I agree with you on Shanny but don’t see the comparison to Ron.

Shanny wanted to evaluate and assemble talent, of which I agree he’s poor at, other than running backs.  Bruce was meant to be his buffer for Dan.  Bruce had no business dealing with player personnel.  That whole situation became a real mess that Shanny never saw coming.

Ron on the other hand has hand picked guys with legitimate player personnel experience.  For example, not a chance in the world Shanny misses the Senior Bowl and trusts Bruce and the scouts over his own eyes.  

Ron went with familiarity, as I think most would do if given that power.  But at least he chose folks with legitimate experience vs. Bruce Allen who had absolutely no business doing what he was doing, as is evidenced by the results and even the polling- that he’s the least trustworthy exec in the business.