Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins sign LSU TE Thaddeus Moss as an UDFA

zCommander

3 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

As an UDFA this is a total steal. 

No draft pick used, no cap hit if he doesn't make the team, to borrow from Key and Peele's Airplane Continental episode, "Don't mind if I do!".

6 hours ago, Burgold said:

I actually like the write up. It reminded me of Donnie Warren who was invaluable and always underrated during the glory years.If the plan is to be a hard-nosed, running team, then you need a punishing blocker at tight end. Hopefully, Moss recovers well from his surgery and works out.

Exactly what I was thinking. He's a helluva blocker. Hoener can develop him, and there's no rush. Maybe we'll see this kid blossom from a Terry Orr/Don Warren into a much more lethal weapon. I'm glad Smith & Rivera stuck to the draft board and didn't reach for a TE just because several were there. Hype by the alphabet networks and websites doesn't necessarily mirror what FOs have seen in their deep evaluations. That's why there were punters drafted before some of the TEs that many were hyping up. I still want to see what Logan Thomas can do. Jim Caldwell wanted to switch him to TE for a reason. Plus I'm curious about Caleb Wilson. I'm guessing that another reason our FO didn't reach was because there are a bunch of teams with some quality surplus at TE (Bears, Cleveland, Bucs......hell the Bears have about a hundred); they can't possibly keep all of 'em. You can simply wait and pounce on someone who is better than anyone who was available in rounds 3-7 this year.

Happy to have Moss. He'll be motivated.

24 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Ideal TE2 for his blocking and high percentage relief throws for Haskins.

I never want to see a TE hide from blocks again.

C'mon, you got to admit some of those ole blocks displayed amazing agility. I contend they're what inspired Norman to go to Pamplona and jump over that bull. Our tight ends in recent years were like... "HAMMER TIME! Can't touch this." In the running game.

11 hours ago, MartinC said:

Without wishing to rain on the parade ...

Its an interesting stat and good point here; however, Thad was used differently w LSU.  most of the time he looked to be split out wide and was occupying a DB split all the way out; and then you can see it, he isn't running a route most of the time, he is a decoy, ready to block, and w all those other WRs that was his role. So to me, this would shed some light on this stat.

I think his speed is a bit better than ppl are saying bc he again, looked to be barely running routes at times.  His blocking however seems to be very effective.  I think he makes the team and contributes at some point.

also one more stat- 0 drops in 2019

It is worth taking a shot on him.  Great Blocker and maybe he can help on third and medium going sitting down in the middle.  Cheap pick up too!  Hopefully he will continue and progress and I'm sure he has good knowledge of the game!

13 hours ago, zskins said:

I love that we signed him. 

Was rooting for us to draft him.

Getting him as UDFA is even better for the Skins. 

He will come with a huge chip on his shoulder...

And dude can play. He shows well for the ball and doesn't drop passes.

AND HE CAN BLOCK!

He should look up James Jenkins. A MAN!

Dude was a heck of a blocker and can catch too. 

13 hours ago, panahoo said:

This is very misleading. You do realize how many routes he ran where the ball went to one of 4 recievers who were/will all be drafted very highly? There is only one ball.

Good thing we didnt waste a 4th on Kmet then. Hes slightly ahead of Moss.

Solid signing. Love his physicality and ability to block. And we know hes got hands. Something to definitely work with.

9 hours ago, zskins said:

Yes. He was projected to go either in the 3rd or the 4th round. The foot injury is on the outside of the foot and once fully healed one can go back to normal life of sports. If he heals accordingly and I am sure with proper care by the new Redskins medical staff he will be fine. So yeah he can be a steal and a diamond in the rough that other teams overlooked. 

And we do have the Nations most renowned Physical Therapists in Kevin Wilk leading our staff.

9 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

He should be used as he was at LSU and that’s primarily as a blocking unit. We have a bounty of weapons in the passing game and while he can hold his own I don’t imagine him being anywhere close to being a focal point. 

God we have a plethora of weapons now. 

Moss's blocking skills and physicality is a perfect fit for Turner's offense and what he wants to do with Gibson and others.

I love this signing, we've needed a blocker who is also a threat in the passing game for a long time now. Don't get me wrong, I was a massive Jordan Reed fan, but let's be honest he wasn't a TE, he was a big receiver.

I've been watching a few of his highlight vids with a massive smile on my face and am already foreseeing him as a fan favourite. Yeah, I know he's an UDFA who may not even make the team, but I don't care. Kool-aid, baby.

It's not just great to have Thaddeus Moss (and for who he is, and what he does, and not just his name)

But it's also great to have Randy Moss in our corner ; an ally ; rooting for us ; maybe helping in some way ?

I don't expect him to over-step the coaching staff. But whatever that means exactly to have him on our side, it's too soon to tell, but it likely will be a good thing.

6 hours ago, skinzplay said:

Exactly what I was thinking. He's a helluva blocker. Hoener can develop him, and there's no rush. Maybe we'll see this kid blossom from a Terry Orr/Don Warren into a much more lethal weapon. I'm glad Smith & Rivera stuck to the draft board and didn't reach for a TE just because several were there. Hype by the alphabet networks and websites doesn't necessarily mirror what FOs have seen in their deep evaluations. That's why there were punters drafted before some of the TEs that many were hyping up. I still want to see what Logan Thomas can do. Jim Caldwell wanted to switch him to TE for a reason. Plus I'm curious about Caleb Wilson. I'm guessing that another reason our FO didn't reach was because there are a bunch of teams with some quality surplus at TE (Bears, Cleveland, Bucs......hell the Bears have about a hundred); they can't possibly keep all of 'em. You can simply wait and pounce on someone who is better than anyone who was available in rounds 3-7 this year.

Happy to have Moss. He'll be motivated.

Oh yeah! How could I have forgotten Terry Orr. Loved me some Terry Orr.

Simply perfect that we didnt reach on  him and brought him in as an udfa. The fact that it was US and not another team may speak well of  the new FO as well. Despite not being a top 10 talent, his name draws attention, there HAD to be other offers?

Another thing of note, LSU had great wideouts and Moss played decoy a bunch- with ZERO drops this year, its hard to know what he actually CAN do in the pass game.

Another thing I havent heard anyone say, is his awareness is top level. To many times did i see Sprinkle or (insert bum TE) just go to a spot and sit there... Moss always has eyes on qb, and has an uncanny ability to help extend a play. He created a relief valve on more then a few occasions when the play broke down. He didnt always get the ball thrown to him, but I recall consistently seeing him be open after the play broke down and ad-libbing. This is a great strength IMO esp for a young qb

HAIL!

Moss got a lot of attention as Randy’s kid who put up some good TE numbers en route to a natty at LSU. 

Here is why he slipped:

2016: freshman at NC State barely played

2017: sat out due to transfer rule

2018: Missed season with foot injury

2019: breakout year for LSU as a R-Jr

He probably could have benefited

from going back. Of course nobody foresaw the Covid situation and the foot re-aggregation damaged his stock because he missed the combine and couldn’t get a medical recheck. Didn’t seem to effect guys like Bryan Edwards as much but probably forced a Moss fall due to speed concerns and limited college production.

i think we got a good one though. Hell of a blocker and amazing hands. 

Archived