Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins sign LSU TE Thaddeus Moss as an UDFA

zCommander

I watched about 30 minutes of film on Moss and there's no doubt he takes pride in blocking. He cut blocks like a maniac and I watched a few plays where he was off balance but still had enough strength to finish the block with just his forearm.

We'll see if he can stay healthy.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sheehan showing some ignorance right now on 980, going I know he ran well but sometimes he looked slowed when he watched him.  Moss didn't run at the combine. 

Sheehan relies upon You Tube highlights... he is from the Ron Jaworski school of watching film... they use that to create some semblance of authority 

On 4/25/2020 at 9:58 PM, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Not on the field.

Trey Quinn was drafted and was immediately a fan favorite for no reason other than he was a novelty (Mr. Irrelevant/another reason i don’t feel like getting into). People were buying his jersey in training camp.

I’ve seen multiple ppl on twitter and other sites say Moss is their favorite pick. He’ll get the same hype Quinn does. Not for exceptional football talent of course but because of the name on his jersey and his two catches in a game that was watched by millions of people.

Solid points, for the life of me I never understood the love for Trey Quinn. But Moss certainly has more upside at a huge position of need. I would have been fine using a late round pick on the guy, getting him for a $20,000 signing bonus has to be a good deal.  People just need to keep their expectations in check.  

9 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Solid points, for the life of me I never understood the love for Trey Quinn. But Moss certainly has more upside at a huge position of need. I would have been fine using a late round pick on the guy, getting him for a $20,000 signing bonus has to be a good deal.  People just need to keep their expectations in check.  

Agree.  I was good on a late rounder on Moss so as a UDFA I like it a lot.  I do think he instantly likely becomes the best blocker on the team, probably just a half a peg better than Hentges.  I think if people are expecting as a blocker that he's a Warren type they will be disappointed -- he's not a mauler like that.  Moss is a bit undersized as a blocker but he is a willing blocker who seemed just about never miss his assignment on that front and got in front of his guy and locks into his block well IMO.

Sprinkle IMO is a below average blocker in spite of his rep from college.  Sprinkle I'd gather has more speed and separation skills than Moss.  Moss though IMO is the better blocker, with better hands than Sprinkle.   

2 hours ago, terpfan44 said:

Sheehan relies upon You Tube highlights... he is from the Ron Jaworski school of watching film... they use that to create some semblance of authority 

Not always, he does watch some college football.  But he just winged it on Moss and got it wrong. 😀

I have no idea if this guy knows what he's talking about but its 30 minutes of cut-ups from the Bama, Clemson, Auburn, and Florida games.

You can always mute it and draw your own conclusions but it focuses quite a bit on his blocking for those who are interested.

He will be our starting Tight End if he can avoid the foot injuries going forward. 

13 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Moss got a lot of attention as Randy’s kid who put up some good TE numbers en route to a natty at LSU. 

Here is why he slipped:

2016: freshman at NC State barely played

2017: sat out due to transfer rule

2018: Missed season with foot injury

2019: breakout year for LSU as a R-Jr

He probably could have benefited

from going back. Of course nobody foresaw the Covid situation and the foot re-aggregation damaged his stock because he missed the combine and couldn’t get a medical recheck. Didn’t seem to effect guys like Bryan Edwards as much but probably forced a Moss fall due to speed concerns and limited college production.

i think we got a good one though. Hell of a blocker and amazing hands. 

A big reason Moss went pro early is because we have perhaps the best TE prospect of all time coming in this year. Arik Gilbert. He’s going to be a starter from day one. 

21 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

He will be our starting Tight End if he can avoid the foot injuries going forward. 

A big reason Moss went pro early is because we have perhaps the best TE prospect of all time coming in this year. Arik Gilbert. He’s going to be a starter from day one. 

Damn, just looked him up. Impressive prospect. I'll put him on my radar for the 2023 draft ;)

Here's the blurb on Thaddeus Moss from WalterFootball.com, which ranked Moss as its 3rd best TE behind Trautman and Kmet:

4/21/20: Moss was a mismatch receiving weapon for LSU in 2019, totaling 47 receptions for 570 yards and four touchdowns. He has a solid build with quickness and athleticism. Moss could stand to improve his blocking for the NFL, but he could be a mismatch weapon as a F - receiving - tight end. As a pro, he could be a Jordan Reed-type contributor. Moss did not work out at the combine.

Unlike WalterFootball, I've liked what I've seen of Moss's ability to block. Of course, the comparison to Reed is interesting, especially to us. Turns out that Moss and Reed are very close in size. Both of them are 6'2" and Moss is about 10 lbs heavier than Reed was as a rookie. While Moss didn't run at the combine, his 40 time as projected by WalterFootball is a 4.65.  Several sources listed Reed's 40 time as 4.72.  Let's hope that they don't have similar injury problems.  With that caution in mind, I'm hoping we have landed a player who can make a solid contribution to the team.

1 hour ago, dswerdlw said:

Here's the blurb on Thaddeus Moss from WalterFootball.com, which ranked Moss as its 3rd best TE behind Trautman and Kmet:

4/21/20: Moss was a mismatch receiving weapon for LSU in 2019, totaling 47 receptions for 570 yards and four touchdowns. He has a solid build with quickness and athleticism. Moss could stand to improve his blocking for the NFL, but he could be a mismatch weapon as a F - receiving - tight end. As a pro, he could be a Jordan Reed-type contributor. Moss did not work out at the combine.

Unlike WalterFootball, I've liked what I've seen of Moss's ability to block. Of course, the comparison to Reed is interesting, especially to us. Turns out that Moss and Reed are very close in size. Both of them are 6'2" and Moss is about 10 lbs heavier than Reed was as a rookie. While Moss didn't run at the combine, his 40 time as projected by WalterFootball is a 4.65.  Several sources listed Reed's 40 time as 4.72.  Let's hope that they don't have similar injury problems.  With that caution in mind, I'm hoping we have landed a player who can make a solid contribution to the team.

I think Walter Football took a giant step backwards this year.  They seemed to be way off on a lot of players.  This is an example.  Moss is a strong blocker.  This write-up is nothing like other scouting reports on Moss.  It's like they never even saw the guy play.   

2 hours ago, dswerdlw said:

Reed route running and great hands separated him from other TE's. If Moss route running is decent he'll be a starter here no doubt. 

So Thaddeus runs a 4.67 and  NE's Gronk ran a 4.68 and people are saying he's too slow???? Seems a big body at the LOS that can block & catch in the 5-8 yard window fits our scheme (running/short yardage/High % throws) exactly. No drops and he only had 1 season of play time...that's big for me and it didn't cost a thing...

9 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

So Thaddeus runs a 4.67 and  NE's Gronk ran a 4.68 and people are saying he's too slow???? Seems a big body at the LOS that can block & catch in the 5-8 yard window fits our scheme (running/short yardage/High % throws) exactly. No drops and he only had 1 season of play time...that's big for me and it didn't cost a thing...

His injuries add up. His 40 time is probably a bit worse than that.

But I agree that his speed may not matter as much as long as he blocks and catches the way he has.

Archived