Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins sign LSU TE Thaddeus Moss as an UDFA

zCommander

4 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Also had the Bengals and Pats after him apparently.

Both of those teams are good signs or reflections on Moss.

Cincy, because it might mean that Burrow was vouching and/or lobbying hard for them to pick up Moss after the draft. A good sign if that's the case.

And also impressive that we picked a guy that the Pats coveted....because they're the Pats.

Just surprised that we beat Bellichek to the punch, calling Moss first.

Perhaps Bellichek should no longer put his pet Husky in charge of keeping tabs on the drafted/undrafted players.

good_dog.jpg

I mean, the Pats had just spent two 3rd round picks on TE's already in this draft, in fact even more draft capital because they traded up for Keene. Smart of Moss to go somewhere with more opportunity. In fact, I'd argue the most opportunity in the league (at TE), and he probably knew that. 

...When the NFL draft ended with his name still uncalled, Thaddeus Moss said his emotions “were all over the place,” the whole thing “a slap in the face.” So when his agent called shortly after with the names of three teams that wanted to sign him, all he cared about was who called first.

Which is how the tight end from LSU, the son of Hall of Fame wide receiver Randy Moss, chose the Washington Redskins.

It didn’t matter that one of the other two teams was the New England Patriots, for whom his father once starred and a team that had built Super Bowl champion offenses around tight ends. Nor was he interested in the other team, Cincinnati, which had just drafted his college quarterback, Joe Burrow. Neither had phoned before the Redskins. Neither could have wanted him as much.

“That’s what I was going to go with and stick with,” Moss said Wednesday on a video conference call.

...He said he is “not going out there with a vengeance” to show the other teams they made a mistake when they didn’t choose him in the draft. He had a sense as the last day of selections wore on that he probably wasn’t going to be taken.

Most pre-draft scouting reports noted that Moss didn’t have the type of speed that would allow him to race downfield to catch long throws but highlighted his willingness to block and catch short, contested passes. He also had a small Jones fracture in his foot, an injury discovered at the scouting combine that needed surgery and a two- to three-month recovery. These things created trouble for his draft stock. Still, the snub burned at him.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/05/13/thaddeus-moss-redskins-undrafted-tight-end-says-he-ready-earn-his-keep/?utm_campaign=wp_sports&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

...He said he is “not going out there with a vengeance” to show the other teams they made a mistake when they didn’t choose him in the draft. He had a sense as the last day of selections wore on that he probably wasn’t going to be taken.

..... Still, the snub burned at him.

Despite my low expectations, I really like what I'm hearing of Moss. It doesn't sound like he thinks he's owed anything despite being a HOFer's son, so he should be receptive to coaching. And still with some pride to hurt at being passed despite that, so something steady to drive him but not distract him.

Just now, oraphus said:

I am glad he picked the Skins.. but to be completely honest his reasoning for selecting the team by "who called first" seems dumb. Its unwise to make life impacting decisions like that on tilt.

It's probably not what actually happened. He could have said it to pump up the fans, but in all reality, he knew his best chance to actually make the team was with the Skins... Pats had just drafted two TE's in the 3rd and 4th. 

.... just playing devils advocate

4 minutes ago, oraphus said:

I am glad he picked the Skins.. but to be completely honest his reasoning for selecting the team by "who called first" seems dumb. Its unwise to make life impacting decisions like that on tilt.

No way that's the case lol. We are a barren wasteland at TE. That is why he is here

1 hour ago, oraphus said:

It's just playing off the usual UDFA "chip on his shoulder" narrative. He's got NFL blood, his choice was well thought out and rational, no doubt. Teams start calling these guys in the 6th and 7th rounds to let them know if they're undrafted, they are interested in signing them as UDFA's (I always thought this part of the process was kinda cruel as the players are waiting for a call to be drafted, but maybe as Moss says here all these UDFA calls go through the agent first). That's why he said he had a feeling in the last couple rounds how it was gonna go. He had plenty of time to think and choose the right spot out of the calls he got.

I'm sure he's not fully lying though, we probably were the first to call, which is a good look for those of us that were disappointed in our activity in the UDFA market--we obviously got who we wanted and got out as part of the plan that's been reported, knowing we already had a young roster and with a weird off-season most UDFA's would have no chance. (Note--I still don't necessarily agree with that plan/take, but it is what it is)

7 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

It's just playing off the usual UDFA "chip on his shoulder" narrative. He's got NFL blood, his choice was well thought out and rational, no doubt. Teams start calling these guys in the 6th and 7th rounds to let them know if they're undrafted, they are interested in signing them as UDFA's (I always thought this part of the process was kinda cruel as the players are waiting for a call to be drafted, but maybe as Moss says here all these UDFA calls go through the agent first). That's why he said he had a feeling in the last couple rounds how it was gonna go. He had plenty of time to think and choose the right spot out of the calls he got.

I'm sure he's not fully lying though, we probably were the first to call, which is a good look for those of us that were disappointed in our activity in the UDFA market--we obviously got who we wanted and got out as part of the plan that's been reported, knowing we already had a young roster and with a weird off-season most UDFA's would have no chance. (Note--I still don't necessarily agree with that plan/take, but it is what it is)

Yeah, IIRC, 3 of our 4 UDFA signings were announced very quickly after the draft.  Moss, Montez, and Wright.  Rivera and Smith then gave a news conference about the draft while other teams were still busy signing UDFAs, and they said that there wouldn't be very many UDFAs signed due to the COVID-19 situation and that the guys still out there wouldn't have much chance to make the team.  I think they got the few guys that they wanted in UDFA.  The Missouri WR was announced a few hours later.  I'm not sure if they had been in contact with him earlier or if they just noticed that he was still available and decided to take a shot.

11 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

No way that's the case lol. We are a barren wasteland at TE. That is why he is here

Most likely. Even so, it was polite of him not to say it.

"Why did I pick the Redskins? My God, have you looked at their tight ends? At LSU we had better guys than that on the practice squad!"

Not a good look.

Watching the highlights I feel like his straight line speed is not as bad as I thought. I this video you can see at around the 5 second mark what I mean:

That's obviously a coverage mistake, but once he is on the run #23 tries to catch up and he does not really come any closer. That's DaShaun White, who is, according to nfldraftscout, considered a second day pick next year and estimated to run the 40 in the 4.50 to 4.70 range. Now obviously it's tough to say whether he was running full speed or not but just looking at the video I don't see him catching Moss from behind.

Moss is definitely not explosive, so he takes a while to get up to full speed but then I don't think he is that slow. Considering he is a very good blocker I feel like he can set himself up some for some easy completions, especially in the redzone and if he breaks loose he might also be good for some YAC.

On 5/14/2020 at 12:30 PM, oraphus said:

I think that is something he just threw out there to answer a question. These guys are professionals.  I would almost for certain say they looked at all 3 teams rosters and realized his best chance to compete was with the skins. Pats spent 2 3rd round pics on TE's , the skins while they made a couple moves in FA still don't really have a TE thats going to instill fear in an opposing defenses and the Bengals role with Uzomah and Eifert 

6 hours ago, trap said:

I think that is something he just threw out there to answer a question. These guys are professionals.  I would almost for certain say they looked at all 3 teams rosters and realized his best chance to compete was with the skins. Pats spent 2 3rd round pics on TE's , the skins while they made a couple moves in FA still don't really have a TE thats going to instill fear in an opposing defenses and the Bengals role with Uzomah and Eifert 

You'd like to think so, but every year udfa's make strange choices. I don't blame them for not knowing every NFL roster well, but it seems to me their agents are letting them down but not having a list of teams broken down where rosters are weak at their client's position.

You're probably right although there are better political answers than that. Still, if I had been a UDFA tight end, guard, safety or tackle, I wouldn't be waiting for the Redskins to call. I'd be on the phone myself. This is a team that has openings on the roster just waiting to be grabbed at several positions.

He's Randy Moss's son and no one even wasted a 7th rounder on him.  I hadn't even heard of the guy before we signed him, so for all I know his personality could be like Mr. Spock, but c'mon.  Randy Moss's son and it's not like he sucked in college.  I tend to think, just on the situation, that that's what happened.  If it did, that shows me a guy who's champing at the bit to prove he can play.  He ain't staying medium. 

I also discount the importance of a poor TE situation.  It's not like he's going to have to go stock boxes at the grocery store if his first attempt to make a roster doesn't pan out if it's due to the team having a surplus of TEs.  If he can play in the NFL, he will.  If his only hope is a team that has the 3-5 worst TEs on its training camp roster, he should consider another job.  So let's say NE called first and let's say that Moss ultimately falls between bottom 1/4 of TE#1 and top 1/4 of TE#2, then if he gets cut because NE likes other guys on its roster more, Thad will get another shot.  If he can play, he will.  Yeah, it worked out that the team that called first has a bare cabinet at TE -- maybe that's why they called first. 

10 minutes ago, GothSkinsFan said:

He's Randy Moss's son and no one even wasted a 7th rounder on him.  I hadn't even heard of the guy before we signed him, so for all I know his personality could be like Mr. Spock, but c'mon.  Randy Moss's son and it's not like he sucked in college.  I tend to think, just on the situation, that that's what happened.  If it did, that shows me a guy who's champing at the bit to prove he can play.  He ain't staying medium. 

His lingering leg issue cost him bigtime.

3 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Cannot write off Moss, just because he's an UDFA

Look at Steven Sims.

I think the majority of this board genuinely think he could be our starting TE lol, that post from GothSkinsFan is one of the only truly negative ones I've seen. 

I don't think it's because we're all delusional or drinking the Koolaid, it's not like anyone thinks he'll be very good. Moreso that most would have been fine drafting him at any time in the 5th or later so as an UDFA, heck yeah that's fine value. And he can block. 

6 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I think the majority of this board genuinely think he could be our starting TE lol, that post from GothSkinsFan is one of the only truly negative ones I've seen. 

I don't think it's because we're all delusional or drinking the Koolaid, it's not like anyone thinks he'll be very good. Moreso that most would have been fine drafting him at any time in the 5th or later so as an UDFA, heck yeah that's fine value. And he can block. 

He's got a great opportunity to win a roster spot and then we will see. And while we may well have been the first to call I'm sure his agent and likely his Dad also told him here was his best opportunity to crack the 53 man roster.

I think Moss could be another Hentges. Not a super big fast guy, but good enough to get open and catch some passes.

Look at the bright side. If we go 2 TE now, at least we'd have 2 decent blockers, as opposed to sprinkle and Davis.

Could definitely use an upgrade, but those guys should be serviceable at least.

Archived