Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins sign LSU TE Thaddeus Moss as an UDFA

zCommander

There you go. Your TE in this year's draft. :)

He is the son of Randy Moss if you didn't know. 

Receiving & Rushing Table
    Receiving Rushing Scrimmage
Year School Conf Class Pos G Rec Yds Avg TD Att Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg TD
Career Overall         53 619 11.7 5 0 0   0 53 619 11.7 5
  North Carolina State         6 49 8.2 1 0 0   0 6 49 8.2 1
  LSU         47 570 12.1 4 0 0   0 47 570 12.1 4
*2016 North Carolina State ACC FR TE 5 6 49 8.2 1 0 0   0 6 49 8.2 1
*2019 LSU SEC JR TE 12 47 570 12.1 4 0 0   0 47 570 12.1 4

Vitals
Height | 6-2

Weight | 250

Strengths
If you are looking for a blocking tight end then Moss should be atop the list for your NFL team. Not just a chip guy before getting into his route, Moss can take on defenders one on one in passing sets. As a run blocker, he brings physicality and animosity. Great blocker on the edge, running backs will love running behind Moss.

Some of the best hands in the class, he is as sure handed as they come. Get the ball near his frame and Moss likely comes down with the ball. Rarely will he require double-catches to bring the ball in. When dealing with smaller defenders, will box them out with his wide frame to seal off defenders to prevent passes defended.

His footwork is a huge plus in his game. Keeps good balance and rarely stumbles in his blocking. Moss uses his lower half to really drive into his blocks. An absolute bully at the point of attack. Likely will see plenty of playing time because of his blocking ability over his ability in the passing game.

Weaknesses
He is more of a warming up runner, takes a bit to get to his top end speed. He won’t threaten defenders up the seam and Moss won’t create a lot of separation at the second and third levels of a defense. Teams shouldn’t expect much in terms of yards after the catch.

Not a well defined route runner, a bit of a shock since he is the son of the one of the two best wide receivers of all-time. Needs to become more refined as a route runner since Moss won’t win matchups with his limited athleticism.

Projection: 3rd-4th round

Welcome to the Redskins Moss!

HTTR!

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

He is actually very little like his Dad.

Shares few similarities.

But he's still good, and still an improvement over what we have.

Plus...

HE

CAN

BLOCK

Yes he can. I just added strengths and weakens to the OP now. 

3 minutes ago, China said:

Hope his foot injury isn't an issue.

This is what I found so he should be a go when the season starts. 

A person who has had surgery to repair a Jones fracture can expect a return to all activity, including sports, approximately 4 months after surgery.

However, the doctor may recommend a period of physical therapy to recondition the injured area.

12 minutes ago, Kelvin Bryant said:

It's possible to imagine two receivers less similar than Moss and Quinn, but it takes some effort. 

Not on the field.

Trey Quinn was drafted and was immediately a fan favorite for no reason other than he was a novelty (Mr. Irrelevant/another reason i don’t feel like getting into). People were buying his jersey in training camp.

I’ve seen multiple ppl on twitter and other sites say Moss is their favorite pick. He’ll get the same hype Quinn does. Not for exceptional football talent of course but because of the name on his jersey and his two catches in a game that was watched by millions of people.

7 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Without wishing to rain on the parade ...

This is very misleading. You do realize how many routes he ran where the ball went to one of 4 recievers who were/will all be drafted very highly? There is only one ball.

25 minutes ago, panahoo said:

This is very misleading. You do realize how many routes he ran where the ball went to one of 4 recievers who were/will all be drafted very highly? There is only one ball.

There is only one ball for all receivers. YPRR is actually one of the most important stats for a receiver. It shows more about production than yards per target or yards per reception. Interestingly overall Moss had the 4th highest YPRR number for TEs in FBS from the slot - but the breakdown against man coverage split out is very revealing. It speaks to someone who has marginal quickness who struggles to get off the line and does not get separation against man coverage but his overall number shows he was very productive from the slot. Which also suggests he’s probably not the Y TE type.

If his foot isn't injured, he's probably a mid-round pick.

Cost us practically nothing. But could net us a solid starter for years to come.

I am not expecting Randy Moss 2.0, in any way, shape, or form.

But who can do that ?

I do expect him to make the team, and exceed the TE output we've had for a while, both receiving and blocking.

I actually like the write up. It reminded me of Donnie Warren who was invaluable and always underrated during the glory years.If the plan is to be a hard-nosed, running team, then you need a punishing blocker at tight end. Hopefully, Moss recovers well from his surgery and works out.

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

If his foot isn't injured, he's probably a mid-round pick.

Yes. He was projected to go either in the 3rd or the 4th round. The foot injury is on the outside of the foot and once fully healed one can go back to normal life of sports. If he heals accordingly and I am sure with proper care by the new Redskins medical staff he will be fine. So yeah he can be a steal and a diamond in the rough that other teams overlooked. 

He should be used as he was at LSU and that’s primarily as a blocking unit. We have a bounty of weapons in the passing game and while he can hold his own I don’t imagine him being anywhere close to being a focal point. 

God we have a plethora of weapons now. 

I like his hands, he actually doesn't look slow at all on the field, and he's a monster blocker. Needs to work on his footwork, in my opinion, maybe it's the routes he ran in LSU but I didn't see much there. I would love for him to watch non-stop film of Jordan Reed and work on a similar stutter-step off the line. That was Reed's bread and butter and got him constantly open. 

Archived