Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

9 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Yeah.  He's a slot defender.  Good blitzer and capable of strapping up tight ends and big slots and running with the little guys when he's healthy and locked in.  Former five star who was fantastic as a RS soph but struggled hard this year.  Had a lingering abdominal/groin injury and then he suffered some kind of second injury towards the end of the year I believe.  Got torched by the Bama guys and Jahan Dotson and Ty Fryfogle this year, and looked dishearteningly disinterested in the process.  I think he might have been playing through a decent amount of pain judging from his body language.  When someone goes from balls to the wall aggressive to passive, that's usually the culprit.  He should have stayed opted out and rehabbed his groin for the sake of his draft stock in retrospect, but he wanted to be there for his team and he wanted to try and win a championship.

He is one of the most physical DBs in the class when he's at his best.  A headhunter.

I loved him two years ago, but I guess it was misleading with the rest of the studs in the Ohio secondary. He tried his luck outside and looked awful. He’s Landon Collins 2.0 to me now.

11 minutes ago, drowland said:

I agree you could probably chop off the 6th and 7th rds.  Most teams whittle down their boards to about 110-120 draftable players and then have about 50 guys they'd consider as priority free agents.   

I honestly don't understand this mindset.

The only difference between bringing in priority free agents and late round draft picks is that you're guaranteed to get the guy you want as opposed to having to fight other teams for their services.

Aren't you glad we were able to draft Kam curl last year or would you prefer he decided to go to Kansas city so he has a better chance of winning a superbowl?

Just feels like it'd be more fair to have all these priority free agents drafted.

Agreed. The best part of the draft is finding those diamonds in the ruff and watching them emerge. It's also fun to see people going crazy and suicidal over a 6th or 7th rounder picked vs. a crush overlooked.

Don't take that away from me.

29 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

If we want to move to 4, I would think there is a good chance that Atlanta might cover one of our DT’s. That might help put us above New England as trade partners, even though they pick 4 slots above us.

Also, I would think our 1st round pick next year would have more perceived value than that of New England. How many times have they missed the playoffs multiple years in a row?

Going from 19-4 even with trading a DL and multiple first rounders would be insanity. 

1 hour ago, Fresh8686 said:

My wife just saw Ron River walking out of Tysons. I told her to yell at him to pick JOK. 

Would it cause too much of a scene to yell "trade back to obtain multiple second day picks so we can add necessary depth in a variety of areas"

6 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Zierlein wasn't totally wrong, but I do disagree with him on a few points.  I thought his 2019 slot film was fantastic.  And I'm not going to kill him for struggling against Rondale as a Freshman because Rondale is a superstar and torched everybody that year.  The only corner in the class fast enough to run with him is Stokes.

Wade did run and jump well at Ohio State's proday and it's still not going to help his stock.  He'd be pretty lucky to go day two, but he is also one of the traitsiest corners in a class deep in big, traitsy corners: https://relativeathleticscores.com/ras-information/?PlayerID=17571

And he also wasn't fully healthy for that Pro-day run either.  I think there are mitigating circumstances for his poor play this year.  I think a lot of Big 10 guys who had high NFL draft stock and initially opted out got screwed by the way the Big 10 backtracked from canceling the season at the last minute.  I think he was playing injured too.  He didn't look like his old self, and I think Big 10 and Pac 12 prospects like him could be heavily discounted in this year's draft as a result of circumstances that weren't fully in their control.  I like him as a high upside project pick in the fourth or fifth round.

10 minutes ago, redskinss said:

The only difference between bringing in priority free agents and late round draft picks is that you're guaranteed to get the guy you want as opposed to having to fight other teams for their services.

Aren't you glad we were able to draft Kam curl last year or would you prefer he decided to go to Kansas city so he has a better chance of winning a superbowl?

Just feels like it'd be more fair to have all these priority free agents drafted.

On the player side, though, it's the opposite. A ton of what helps a player find success at the this level is "opportunity" and by being able to select the team you sign with, you increase or decrease your opportunity. Few if any players would simply sign with a playoff team, often it's likely the opposite, they're trying to sign with a team where the position group is weaker and the opportunity to stick is stronger. For players picked outside the top 135 or so, opportunity is king, to my mind. 

45 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

If we want to move to 4, I would think there is a good chance that Atlanta might cover one of our DT’s. That might help put us above New England as trade partners, even though they pick 4 slots above us.

Also, I would think our 1st round pick next year would have more perceived value than that of New England. How many times have they missed the playoffs multiple years in a row?

Atlanta cant afford one of our DT's. They are in cap hell. 

21 minutes ago, redskinss said:

You bring up a good point with Kam, however priority free agents tend to sign with the team where they have the best chance of making a roster and getting paid game checks not necessarily a SB contender.  If you're an UDFA and you're getting calls from the the Jags and the Bucs and you're thinking which team gives me the best chance to make it then you're going to the Jags.  Given our safety situation last year I think Kam would have chosen us over the Chiefs.  There are tradeoffs.  The NFLPA would probably like to reduce it honestly, but the NFL probably likes spreading the draft over 3 days and GMs like using those 6th and 7th round picks as trade assets.  At the very least I think they could reduce the draft to 6 rounds.   

15 hours ago, Jericho said:

Just a reminder that Washington hasn't taken a running back in the first round since 1967 (Ray McDonald). That was mere months after Super Bowl I. It's been 53 years and no other first round RBs. In fact, only four second round picks in that time, which are: Derrius Guice (pick 59), Ladell Betts (pick 56), Reggie Brooks (Pick 45) and Richard Williams (Pick 56). And three of them barely scraped into Round 2. There's been no running backs drafted by Washington in the first 44 picks in the last 50 years! It's just amazing to me how little the team has invested at the position. I don't think any other franchise even comes close to this. If there's one thing to expect with Washington, it's that it'll never get a name running back in the draft.

Of course Brown ends up beating out Ray McDonald and gives us to the Allen years when we had no picks. Riggo was a FA and former 1st rounder. Gave up our two for Joe Washington. Gave up a number 1 for George Rogers. Byner gave us a few good years. Terry Allen 95-97, Davis from 99-02, Portis 04-09, Morris 12-15, AP 18-19 (and had a guy the braintrust thought would be the man). Most of the time since McDonald, we've had a RB (or thought we did), had more pressing needs, a better option was available (or we thought) or a first round quality guy just was not available to us.

Just now, Bifflog said:

7 round draft is thoroughly in the "Not broke, don't fix" category for me.  I think the appropriate amount of 6th, 7th, and UFA's pan out respectively.

Put it back to all day Saturday (1-3) and all day Sunday (4-7) and I'd agree.  Much rather give up an entire weekend and ignore the rest of the world.  But 7 is good. 

41 minutes ago, drowland said:

At the very least I think they could reduce the draft to 6 rounds.   

You would have freaked out when the draft was 12 + rounds.  The 7th round only seems irrelevant because you no longer have an additional 5 -12 rounds coming after.  

1 minute ago, PlayAction said:

You would have freaked out when the draft was 12 + rounds.  The 7th round only seems irrelevant because you no longer have an additional 5 -12 rounds coming after.  

LOL I remember when it was 12 rds and ESPN had a hard stop on their draft TV coverage so you had to read in the newspaper the next day who got drafted in the late rounds.  That was pre ESPN2.  

Is there any interest in trading for the fourth overall pick currently owned by Falcons?

(3:00 PM ET) While the Falcons would like to trade down from pick 4, I don’t believe the trade market for that pick is all that great right now. After the top 3 quarterbacks come off the board, I do not think a team is going to want to move up to the fourth slot to get a quarterback. Why? I’m hearing teams do not think Atlanta is going to take a quarterback, though I know Atlanta will talk about the possibility of selecting one. Obviously Cincinnati and Miami are not going to take a QB, so it’ll start to get interesting again at pick 7 or 8 for a team that wants to trade up for a QB.

Additionally, Atlanta’s asking price will be steep. There are going to be multiple QBs there and I don’t think that anyone will be in such love with any of the two remaining QBs when ATL is called to the clock that they will feel inclined to move up for one of those signal callers.

I continue to hear it’s Kyle Pitts for the Falcons, though they’d like to trade down and the conversation in the war room will include a quarterback

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2021-nfl-draft-rumors-buzz-draft-week/

Archived