Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It sounds like Pitts is the one they really want to move up for to me.  That's just my take on the tea leaves.

This is what I'm really hoping for. He would create so much for opening up our offense. Think about how dynamic this offense will be. Not necessarily with my eyes on this year but next and beyond.

I'm not looking at it as giving up a good amount of draft capital for a TE. We would be giving up a good amount of draft capital for a piece to this "offensive puzzle" to go along with this elite defense.

Really hoping its Pitts.

15 minutes ago, Redskin21502 said:

a perfect draft doesn't exis........oh wait

https://thedraftnetwork.com/mockDraft/EwCwgUaOHq

Sitting at 19 Tampa came calling and offered me 32 and 64. I countered with 19 and 246 for 32, 64 and 137. They accepted and took Kwity Paye

I then took Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah at 32

I was on the clock at 51 and KC offered 58 and 63 for 51 and 124. I accepted and they took Rondale Moore

I drafted Jalen Mayfield at 58 and Tylan Wallace at 63

Traded 163 and 244 to go up to 139

32 JOK

58 Jalen Mayfield

63 Tylan Wallace

64 Jevon Holland

74 Tommy Tremble

82 Pete Werner

137 Shaun Wade (really think he will be a steal in this draft, bad season being out of position and covid. Was arguably most impacful player on field in 19 OSU-Clemson game)

139 Trey Smith

knocked out LB x2, OT, WR, S, TE, slot CB and RG of the future to replace Scherff

Yeah but what about long snapper? jk

None of the other corners play the ball as well as Farley.  That kid is such a hawk.  Makes picks from man coverage.  Let's his dick swing in coverage.  I like the kids who played quarterback growing up because they're usually smarter and more instinctive than the other ones at their position.  Tutu, Zaven, Farley, even little Pooka Williams.

Horn is the most physically gifted corner but the physicality really comes and goes with him.  He's bigger and meaner looking than Newsome but Newsome is a lot more physical than him IMO.  He's got on-field alpha qualities too, and I think he's actually more physical than Surtain/Farley/Horn/Stokes/Campbell even though he looks pretty skinny.

But the most physical of the good corners is Samuel Jr IMO.  That kid is a dog and has genuine zone run support value.  He's short but he's thick and explosive and runs downhill like a missile.

Part of me just wants to say **** it, build the scariest defense possible and get Wu, Samuel, and Wade.  Make receivers scared to get the ball in the middle zones and flats.

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Part of me just wants to say **** it, build the scariest defense possible and get Wu, Samuel, and Wade.  Make receivers scared to get the ball in the middle zones and flats.

I might be inclined the same way, but with coverage. I’d even consider a Montez Sweat type move up. 

1-Newsome, 1-Jamin Davis, 3-Holland/Cisco for instance. 

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I live in Hampton Roads and my family has long roots in Hampton/Newport News so it's kind of cool to think about getting a hard-nosed kid from the area.  I pull for them a little bit more than most.  The kids who make it to the pro leagues from there are tough and super athletic.  Allen Iverson was a football/bball star from Bethel too.

22 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Horn is the most physically gifted corner but the physicality really comes and goes with him.

It does, his playstyle changes based on matchup.  It's one reason I like him, he doesn't just do 1 thing, he tailors what he does to his opponent.

But the most physical of the good corners is Samuel Jr IMO.  That kid is a dog and has genuine zone run support value.  He's short but he's thick and explosive and runs downhill like a missile.

Honestly...he's off my board as a CB.  He's on my board as a FS convert though.  Just no idea what round that would be.

I need to scout Wade, from what I've read though, he sounds like a future Kam Curl.  Best as a Big Nickel/SS kind of guy.  Is that your take as well?

6 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I might be inclined the same way, but with coverage. I’d even consider a Montez Sweat type move up. 

1-Newsome, 1-Jamin Davis, 3-Holland/Cisco for instance. 

I am strongly against giving up any 2022 draft capital, as we'll likely be trying to either trade up for a QB, or trade for a veteran QB.  If we have less 2022 draft picks, it makes it harder to land a franchise guy if a situation presents itself.

34 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

None of the other corners play the ball as well as Farley.  That kid is such a hawk.  Makes picks from man coverage.  Let's his dick swing in coverage.  I like the kids who played quarterback growing up because they're usually smarter and more instinctive than the other ones at their position.  Tutu, Zaven, Farley, even little Pooka Williams.

Horn is the most physically gifted corner but the physicality really comes and goes with him.  He's bigger and meaner looking than Newsome but Newsome is a lot more physical than him IMO.  He's got on-field alpha qualities too, and I think he's actually more physical than Surtain/Farley/Horn/Stokes/Campbell even though he looks pretty skinny.

Farley plays like a dog.  He has some arrogance about him when he talks about his game which I like in a corner.  I watched his game against Notre Dame, he was draped all over Claypool.  Killer closing speed.  I'd love Farley if he was healthy.  But 2 back surgeries and an ACL?  That's a lot to digest.

I like Samuel too.  He'd be perfect here because I can see him excelling at the slot.  Ball hawk.  Feisty including in stopping the run.

I've been watching Tyson Campbell, he mirors receivers well, drapes on them, but yet he can give up plays/contested catches regardless.  He isn't a ball hawk.    I am still formulating my opinion.  I like his size and measurables. 

I am trying to watch some more corners today and tomorrow.  It's one spot i haven't watched as much as some others. 

Kiper with his final big board, here's some of it

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/insider/story/_/id/31341281/2021-nfl-draft-rankings-top-150-prospects-best-500-position-mel-kiper-new-big-board

15. Patrick Surtain II, CB, Alabama

HT: 6-2 | WT: 206 | Highlights

The top three corners are all close together based on my grades. Surtain was the most consistent on tape -- he did his job on every play. He had 23 pass breakups and four picks over the past three seasons.

Stat to know: Surtain played press coverage on 409 snaps over the past two seasons -- 43% of his total coverage snaps -- which was the most among all FBS defenders.

145.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

16. Elijah Moore, WR, Ole Miss

HT: 5-9 | WT: 178 | Highlights

I put Moore on my list of favorite prospects. He's one of the most pro-ready receivers in this class, a slot target who can run every route.

Stat to know: Moore caught 74% of his 86 receptions out of the slot last season.

2390.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

17. Jaelan Phillips, DE, Miami

HT: 6-5 | WT: 260 | Highlights

Phillips is the best pure pass-rusher in this draft. He wreaked havoc down the stretch for Miami last season. The only reason he's not a definite top-15 pick is his injury history.

Stat to know: Phillips was the No. 3-ranked recruit in the 2017 ESPN 300 rankings.

259.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

18. Christian Darrisaw, OT, Virginia Tech

HT: 6-5 | WT: 314 | Highlights

The more I watched Darrisaw's 2020 tape, the more I liked him. He's a road grader in the running game who just erases edge defenders. He has a mean streak and finishes plays. He has the frame to stick at left tackle in the NFL.

Stat to know: On 264 pass blocks last season, Darrisaw allowed just three pressures and one sack.

96.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

19. Jamin Davis, LB, Kentucky

HT: 6-3 | WT: 234 | Highlights

Davis is really only a one-year starter -- he started a single game in 2019 -- but he was a force as an off-ball linebacker for the Wildcats last season. He's physical and tough, and he has some coverage skills.

Stat to know: Davis' tackling percentage (95%) last season was the highest of any SEC player with at least 50 tackles.

130.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

20. Kwity Paye, DE, Michigan

HT: 6-3 | WT: 270 | Highlights

This edge-rushing class is all about projection, and it starts with Paye, who had just 11.5 sacks in four seasons at Michigan. Can pro coaching help him turn his potential into production? That's what the team that picks him is hoping.

Stat to know: Paye had a 21% pressure percentage last season, which ranked second overall in the FBS.

77.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

21. Greg Newsome II, CB, Northwestern

HT: 6-1 | WT: 190 | Highlights

Newsome was outstanding last season even though teams didn't throw at him much; he was targeted only 35 times in six games. He can be a press-coverage corner. He has great speed as well.

Stat to know: Newsome allowed a 3.4 Total QBR against him as primary defender last season, which was third best in the FBS.

333.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

22. Christian Barmore, DT, Alabama

HT: 6-4 | WT: 310 | Highlights

Barmore is the best interior penetrator in this class. He can be a force as a 3-technique tackle in a 4-3 defense.

Stat to know: Barmore's eight sacks last season tied with Quinnen Williams for the fourth most in a season by an Alabama defensive lineman over the past 15 seasons.

87.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

23. Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, ILB, Notre Dame

HT: 6-2 | WT: 220 | Highlights

Owusu-Koramoah is a perfect fit for today's NFL, a three-down off-ball linebacker with sideline-to-sideline speed.

Stat to know: Owusu-Koramoah is extremely versatile. Last season, he played 57% of his snaps as a slot corner, 38% as an outside linebacker and 5% as an inside linebacker.

2628.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

24. Trevon Moehrig, S, TCU

HT: 6-2 | WT: 208 | Highlights

Moehrig has been my top-ranked safety for months. He can be a deep center fielder at free safety, but he's also not afraid to stick his head in and make a tackle.

Stat to know: Moehrig's 19 pass breakups over the past two seasons were the most among all college safeties.

197.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

25. Teven Jenkins, OT, Oklahoma State

HT: 6-6 | WT: 320 | Highlights

Jenkins played strictly on the right side in college, and he overpowered defenders in the run game. We overuse "mauler" sometimes when talking about prospects, but he fits the description perfectly.

Stat to know: From 2019-20, Jenkins' 0.9% pressure percentage allowed ranked fourth in the FBS among right tackles with at least 400 pass blocks.

135.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

26. Rashod Bateman, WR, Minnesota

HT: 6-0 | WT: 190 | Highlights

Bateman showed last season that he can run routes out of the slot, but he's at his best out wide. He's a physical receiver with tremendous size and speed.

Stat to know: Bateman averaged 20.3 yards per reception in 2019, the best by a Big Ten player since 2001 (minimum 50 receptions).

57.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

27. Kadarius Toney, WR, Florida

HT: 5-11 | WT: 193 | Highlights

Toney was one of the best receivers at the Senior Bowl in January. He's so quick in and out of his breaks that defensive backs have trouble sticking with him. He'll make an impact out of the slot, and he also could be one of the NFL's best punt returners as a rookie.

Stat to know: Toney ranked fourth in the FBS last season in touches (89) and touchdowns (11) and fifth in scrimmage yards (1,145).

259.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

28. Caleb Farley, CB, Virginia Tech

HT: 6-2 | WT: 207 | Highlights

Farley's 2019 tape is fantastic, and he opted out of last season. He wasn't able to work out for scouts this year because of a back procedure, but I don't expect him to drop out of Round 1.

Stat to know: Farley allowed a completion percentage of 24.4% when he was the primary defender in coverage in 2019, which ranked first overall in the FBS.

29. Najee Harris, RB, Alabama

HT: 6-2 | WT: 232 | Highlights

What I like most about Harris -- and why he's my top-ranked running back -- is his receiving ability. He caught 70 passes over the past two seasons and had 11 receiving touchdowns. He can be a three-down back in the NFL. He led the FBS with 47 carries of at least 10 yards last season.

Stat to know: Harris' 57 career touchdowns tied Tim Tebow for most in SEC history (46 rushing; 11 receiving); Harris' 28 scrimmage touchdowns last season tied for the most in SEC history (Derrick Henry in 2015).

228.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

30. Travis Etienne, RB, Clemson

HT: 5-10 | WT: 215 | Highlights

Etienne is a home run hitter whose 588 receiving yards last season ranked second among FBS running backs. The Clemson offensive line underwhelmed last season, but Etienne didn't miss a beat. He's a three-down back.

Stat to know: Etienne's 78 career scrimmage touchdowns are tied for fourth most in FBS history.

153.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

31. Javonte Williams, RB, North Carolina

HT: 5-10 | WT: 212 | Highlights

It's not out of the question that Williams is the first running back drafted. He improved as a pass-catcher last season, averaging 12.2 yards on his 25 receptions.

Stat to know: Williams had a 25.5% broken tackle rate last season, which ranked first in the FBS.

99.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

32. Terrace Marshall Jr., WR, LSU

HT: 6-2 | WT: 205 | Highlights

Marshall played both inside and outside at LSU, and he has the size and catch radius to be a red-zone threat in the NFL.

Stat to know: Marshall had 23 touchdowns catches in 2019 and 2020, which ranked third in the FBS in that span despite playing in just 19 games.

2711.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

33. D'Wayne Eskridge, WR, Western Michigan

HT: 5-9 | WT: 190 | Highlights

Eskridge was a do-everything player in college, even playing some cornerback in 2019. He can be a weapon out of the slot and in the return game. He averaged a whopping 23.1 yards per catch last season.

Stat to know: Eskridge averaged 213 all-purpose yards per game last season, which ranked second in the FBS.

202.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

34. Zaven Collins, LB, Tulsa

HT: 6-4 | WT: 260 | Highlights

Collins' tape is fun to watch, because he just wrecks plays. He has a rare blend of size and skills, and he could play any linebacker spot -- maybe some defensive end, too -- at the next level.

Stat to know: Collins was the only FBS player to have least four sacks and four interceptions last season.

35. Landon Dickerson, C, Alabama

HT: 6-5 | WT: 333 | Highlights

If Dickerson hadn't torn his ACL in December, he'd be a first-round lock. The Florida State transfer anchors well, is great as a pass-protector and is also a leader in the locker room.

Stat to know: Dickerson allowed no sacks and just eight pressures in 751 offensive snaps in his two seasons at Alabama.

Does anybody know why they kept reducing the number of rounds in the draft until they settled on 7?

Seems to me the feeding frenzy that occurs immediately after the draft for free agents could easily result in an extra round or two.

What is the benefit of only having 7 rounds?

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I love Samuel because he's physical but also because you KNOW his dad worked with him on being a ball hawk.

I'd be curious what the success rate of second generation players. 

31 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I am strongly against giving up any 2022 draft capital, as we'll likely be trying to either trade up for a QB, or trade for a veteran QB.  If we have less 2022 draft picks, it makes it harder to land a franchise guy if a situation presents itself.

Wouldn’t have to be next year’s capital. We have an extra 3 this year.

I’d also be in favor of JOK in the 1st and moving up from 51 to grab Farley once he gets to the 2nd. It’s a risk, but I’m ok with taking a risk on a possible Jalen Ramsey in the 2nd.

12 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Does anybody know why they kept reducing the number of rounds in the draft until they settled on 7?

Seems to me the feeding frenzy that occurs immediately after the draft for free agents could easily result in an extra round or two.

What is the benefit of only having 7 rounds?

What's the benefit of 7? You bring a bunch of guys in as UDFA and camp fodder anyways. Having more drafted players just means you water down the scouting.

Rapoport just on, says Atlanta considering Trey Lance if he falls, possibly trading back.  Others have said Atlanta is hot on Pitts.  So looks like that's their likely 3 options.

Russini just on 106.7, i wasn't fully listening so I might have missed some things so I'll probably re-listen

A.  Doesn't think the WFT trades up but didn't rule it out

B.  There are teams looking to trade into the top 10 for players that have nothing to do with QBs along with Qbs

C.  One personnel person told her that Sewell has Hall of Fame type ability

D.  Trey Lance kills it in interviews, peple say he comes off as a real special person

E.   As for Fields, she wouldn't be shocked if he falls past #10 in the draft but doesn't think he falls much further than that.  She says the gripes about him from personnel people include they believe he doesn't quickly process things on the field, he's a tick behind, and it will take him time to adjust his processing speed

F.  Lots of conversations going on as for teams toying with trading into the top 10

Archived