Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

32 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I’d say more Ryan Anderson than Preston Smith.

I mean Anderson ended up with historically bad athleticism grades. I think Collins will be better then that. But as a 3-4 Edge I don't think he's a game changer. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The Rook said:

I won't mention the Defensive playmakers

Clyde Edwards-Helaire, Sammy Watkins, and Patrick Mahomes. Even Le'Veon Bell averaged 4 yds a carry

Besides Hill and Kelce, they had 4 other WR's who averaged over 11 yds per catch

Kicker Butker was 25 of 27 with 4 for 4 at +50yds.

That is a lot of firepower on one team.

:229:The Rook

I mean They’re decent pieces but I wouldn’t put them in the firepower category. They’re no different than most teams’ secondary pieces. I don’t know why people continue propping up Watkins like he’s special. He’s had one 1,000 yard season in his career and that was way back in his second year. CEH may get there but last year was a massive Disappointment. Same with Hardman. Nothing special.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

Jamin Davis is so smooth/fluid once he sees it and is a tough SOB... And those long strides cover so much ground! My criticism has always been his 'wrangling' tackling style using those long arms and often grabbing ball carriers high. Want some more hip/chest action in there...

Don't we all dude...

• Haha 5

16 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

Not sure how seriously we can take Fred Smoot at times but on his podcast he said he chopped it up with Rivera and he said he really liked Zaven Collins but saw him as more of a fit in a 3-4. 

Makes sense.  JOK seems more a fit.

• Like 1

I seem to recall Del Rio using Von Miller as a SLB for a time... not that Collins and Miller are similar at all, but I could see a fit there (though I’m not 100% they were playing 4-3 at that point).  As to TE coverage, I think I’d be fine with him covering most guys, just not the guys with higher end short area quickness.  Is it feasible to mix up game plans based on that?

I’m really torn on Smith if he falls, and a big part of that (besides his weight) is the depth of the class.  I’d be tempted to take to later round receivers and use the earlier picks on less deep positions (of need).

Little concerned that the tackles go earlier than expected and just don’t line up for us in Rds 1/2.  Still some intriguing ones that could be available in the 3rd, but I’d be bummed if don’t land one with our first 3 picks or so.

On a separate note, I’m surprised measurements don’t include BMI (although I guess that could be part of the medicals?) and squats - at least for the linemen. 

23 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

The guy played against NFL players in college though. He faced the best competition in college football weekly. And completely shredded it. He was the highest rated WR against press coverage in college in both 19 and 20. No one can get a hand on the guy. And if you press him and miss it is 6.

I'm not denying that he's super talented. But he wasn't going against NFL starters every week. It doesn't matter how good the WR is, in the NFL he's not going to be running 5 yards away from the nearest defender. Even the best WRs in the league don't get that kind of separation. He's going to get hit. The question is whether his body will be able to stand up to the hits.

12 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I mean They’re decent pieces but I wouldn’t put them in the firepower category. They’re no different than most teams’ secondary pieces. I don’t know why people continue propping up Watkins like he’s special. He’s had one 1,000 yard season in his career and that was way back in his second year. CEH may get there but last year was a massive Disappointment. Same with Hardman. Nothing special.

This is just nuts and wrong. Tyree Hill is probably the fastest, most explosive WR in the NFL. Travis Kielce, a TE, was SECOND aim the league in receiving, with 1416 yards for 13.5 yards per reception. Mecole Hardman is very fast/explosive. Even Watkins, who I agree isn’t great, is a fast, explosive guy. CEH may not have been elite, but he can catch. He had 36 receptions for 300 yards. 

The point is, a defense playing them cannot cheat. They have to fear the deep ball from the top 3 WR’s and the TE. All of their top WR’s can also take a short ball and house it. It’s super hard to scheme to stop a team that has receiving threats at every position and where all the top receivers are deep threats and also YAC threats. 

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I'm not denying that he's super talented. But he wasn't going against NFL starters every week. It doesn't matter how good the WR is, in the NFL he's not going to be running 5 yards away from the nearest defender. Even the best WRs in the league don't get that kind of separation. He's going to get hit. The question is whether his body will be able to stand up to the hits.

A ton of the CB’s he played against in the SEC are or will be in the NFL. He embarrassed Jaycee Horn. 

And he doesn’t even have to be a #1 here. The fit is great. 

• Like 4

I think my dream scenario now is taking Darrisaw at 19 and then trading our 2nd and 3rd in a package to move back into round 1(similar to the trade that got us Montez Sweat in 2019) to take Davis. Get our LT and MLB for the next decade in one fell swoop.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Makes sense.  JOK seems more a fit.

I am warming more to the idea of JOK at 19. I am a little concerned about his size on the outside in the base 4-3. But we dont play base Defense very often anymore anyways. I would prefer to add an OT or one of the QB's in round one then grab Jabril Cox in the 2nd. But if the team likes JOK and picks him at 19 I wont be pissed. And I would definitely prefer JOK to Davis at 19. JOK's instincts are light years better than Davis' IMO.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

A ton of the CB’s he played against in the SEC are or will be in the NFL. He embarrassed Jaycee Horn. 

Some might, but that's still not even addressing the point. I don't care how good a guy was in college. In the NFL he's not going to get the same separation. No NFL WRs get that kind of separation in the NFL consistently, whether it's Megatron, Julio, or Antionio Brown. So again, he's going to get hit more than he did in college and by bigger and faster guys. The question is whether he'll be able to withstand it at that size.

9 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Horn allowed ONE receiver more than 50 yards in his entire college career. It was Smith. And I agree completely with you. The easiest way for a team to win against Smith is to double him. Man. Terry and Curtis would be salivating to have that guy on the field with them. He would completely open up our offense. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I am warming more to the idea of JOK at 19. I am a little concerned about his size on the outside in the base 4-3. But we dont play base Defense very often anymore anyways. I would prefer to add an OT or one of the QB's in round one then grab Jabril Cox in the 2nd. But if the team likes JOK and picks him at 19 I wont be pissed. And I would definitely prefer JOK to Davis at 19. JOK's instincts are light years better than Davis' IMO.

Also heard that RR prefers a versatile LB.  JOK can add 10 plus more pounds on and still be as effective, I think.  I have him listed on my wish list as the pick at #19 but IF Darrisaw is available at #19, he's my first choice.  :)

• Like 1

Call me old school, but I still believe that football is a game of big men imposing their will on other big men and decided within 3 yards of the line of scrimmage.  Control the line of scrimmage and everything else is easier.

A strong line on both sides let’s all the fast shiny pieces work much better.  Our OL wasn’t horrible but can certainly use some improvement, but a dominant ILB is a necessity.  This draft seems to set up pretty well for us to fill both needs in the first couple rounds and still add some fast shiny pieces in day 2.

Only monkey wrench to this plan is if they really like a QB that slips far enough for us to move up and get him.  I will admit that a really good QB can help cover up deficiencies in other areas so if if you pick the right guy that strategy can work also.

My preference is to go ILB, OL in first couple rounds and hopefully pick up our next guy in round 3 (I like Stills a little better than Mond or Trask, but whomever the coaches like best).

18 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I’m really torn on Smith if he falls, and a big part of that (besides his weight) is the depth of the class.  I’d be tempted to take to later round receivers and use the earlier picks on less deep positions (of need).

Not me.  If Smitty is there at 19, you take him.  He's one of the five best players in the class, no one is going to be BPA over him.  You take him and be satisfied that you just got a potential HoF talent who can be one of the best receivers in the NFL one day.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

25 years ago, this skinny WR was drafted at 19th by the Colts. 

image.png.787b6a58a8ff2531658434babd79c44d.png

Maybe or maybe not it's an issue but the players today are bigger and faster both on O and D than they were 25 years ago.  

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Maybe or maybe not it's an issue but the players today are bigger and faster both on O and D than they were 25 years ago.  

And receivers are protected way more than they were 25 years ago. Going over the middle 25 years ago was a possible death sentence. Not any more. 

4 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Payton Turner is going to be a very good day 2 pick for someone.

I think we will end up picking an edge later in the draft to develop. We dont have a ton of depth there. I also wonder if Kerrigan comes back on a one year deal after the draft? Seems like a smart move for both the team and him. 

• Like 3

If we got Devonta Smith our 3 WR set would be insane with McLaurin, Smith, and Samuel operating out the slot. Just the thought of grabbing him potentially is exciting, I still think it's slim that he drops to us but if he does, these weapons with Fitzpatrick is going to make us a really exciting team to watch. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, actorguy1 said:

Matt Miller on his podcast is doubling down on Mac Jones to 49ers saying their interest always leaks every year before the draft and that is always their pick. Unless all his sources are flat-out lying to his face.

Albert Breer on The Herd pretty much said the same.  The thinking is that Shanahan needs to win now and they want the most NFL ready guy they can get - not a guy to develop.  Breer told a story that Mac was asked about a single play they installed 2 months ago and after all the meetings/interviews/questions, etc. he recalled the exact play the 49ers asked him about. 

Breer suggested they originally moved up for him with the intent to be able to vet out Lance and Fields in the process.

• Like 2

“Long Strides” to describe Jamin is not something I covet from a LBer, or really any player except for maybe a tall WR like Randy Moss. Can he stop and pivot on a dime, and show explosive burst instantaneously. That is ideal.

I'd be excited for Devonta Smith.  Really excited.  But...

...he's probably the only guy who could be at #19 that might get a good trade down offer.  Would I take Smith or all of the extra picks?  Those extra picks could be in 2022, where we'd need ammo to trade for a QB.  But Smith would be really exciting.

• Like 2