Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Just now, Chump Bailey said:

Gary Brightwell, the RB from Arizona is someone I liked too. I think he is being a bit underrated. I would comp him to Chris Carson.

There’s a few of these types of guys every year.

Marable, Brightwell, Patterson (didn’t even make SIP’s list if I’m reading it correctly), Funk. RB is hard to see potential beyond the “obvious”. 

One of the reasons I think RB is so maligned as an early draft position is because people reach for backs based on traits and expectations are set through the roof. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I got it as Harris, Williams, Etienne... then there’s a drop off and the next group is Hubbard, Patterson, Carter, Gainwell... then a drop... then Stevenson, Herbert, Sermon

That mid group is the: “if it works they’re going to be great but I’m not sure they’re going to work” group. The third group is the “probably be effective as players but not set the world on fire” group.

The only one in any kind of order is my first group:

1) Harris

2) Williams

3) Etienne

The top 3 really standout among the rest IMO.  For me at least it shoots down the theory of don't take a RB early because the 4th round RB might end up just as good.  You never know but IMO it doesn't feel that way in this draft.  I can see that point more as for WRs in this draft but as for RBs I do think its more top heavy than usual.

The last 10 RBs I have ranked are really close to each other at least in my eyes.  I kept moving and shifting them around and then got tired of doing it and decided to move on to another spot.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

I will buck the trend on this board and say that i am not a believer in Brevin. I don't see an NFL starting TE there.

Jacob Harris' film is really, really good but I didn't know he was 24. Also he would have to put on weight to be a TE, to me he looks more like a Claypool-style juiced up WR. But I'd definitely take a flier on him, he is a very natural pass catcher and shields well.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Gary Brightwell, the RB from Arizona is someone I liked too. I think he is being a bit underrated. I would comp him to Chris Carson.

Yeah I had to stop somewhere.  WR is even tougher -- there will end up about 40 receivers ranked, that's the deepest position for me.  And I'll have some off the radar players in that mix.  but there will still be give or take 10 players or so that some might like as late round gems that i won't get to. 

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

This is a great chart. I think people are overlooking Brevin Jordan. Was I expecting better than a 4.67? Sure. Is a 4.67 really significantly different from Tommy Tremble's 4.63? It's a 4.4 vs a 4.44. For everyone that says that Brevin Jordan isn't explosive, watch the tape. Or, just the youtube video below.His movement skills are great. He really does look like a RB at TE, or even a little bit like Jordan Reed. There is a reason his YAC numbers are better than the other top TE's in the class and that his yards per route are 2nd in the TE class. I wish I could find it, but PFF posted a chart with average amount of separation for all the top receivers in that category, and Jordan was amongst the top prospects there too. I still think he's going to be really good and people are going to kick themselves for their evaluations. 

This is the TE I hope we draft if possible in the 2nd/3rd.

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I had to stop somewhere.  WR is even tougher -- there will end up 40 receivers ranked, that's the deepest position for me.  And I'll have some off the radar players in that mix.  but there will still be give or take 10 players or so that some might like as late round gems that i won't get to. 

I understand SIP, that's a lot of work and kudo's for sharing it. I was just thinking out loud about Brightwell and his lack of attention. I think he's an interesting prospect with apparently rock solid work ethic and character. I think his dad is a football coach somewhere. Asim Rose is another one that could be worth a late round flyer for a team.

• Like 2

Just now, redskinss said:

Is zaven Collins bulking up to play linebacker in a 3-4?

Could be. Also explains the "slower" time for him.

Curious if he's bulking to play an outside backer type of role in the 3-4 or an inside backer role in the 3-4. 

If inside, he could still fit there for us in the 4-2. If outside...

This is the stuff the staff and scouts have better optics on than we do from watching on TV. They have all sorts of resources they can dedicate to this kind of thing that we can't have. But him being 270 could take him off the board for us, depending on what our scouts/scouts in general  see/want him to be from a positional POV. 

15 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

Could he fall all the way to 19?

Would be tempting as hell. I realize he's small... but if the team can add 15-20 pounds to him without him losing a majority of that quickness this dude is going to be an absolute monster.

But playing at 169 is not ideal.

Also, Tutu Atwell won't stick on any team at 5'8 149. 

Collins might be trying to play that traditional 4-3 MLB role. But at 270 he isn't gonna help us cover TEs. If we draft him we'd probably need to draft another LB that can run and cover.

A combo of Collins and Jamin Davis could fix our LB woes for the next 5+ years. Especially combined with Holcomb. Could go Collins at MLB, Davis at WLB, Holcomb at SLB in standard 4-3 sets then go Davis and Holcomb when we go nickel. But that would probably require spending both our 1 and 2 on just the LB position which might be overkill.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Would be tempting as hell. I realize he's small... but if the team can add 15-20 pounds to him without him losing a majority of that quickness this dude is going to be an absolute monster.

But playing at 169 is not ideal.

Also, Tutu Atwell won't stick on any team at 5'8 149. 

Atwell is a Brandon Banks clone. 

Zaven Collins isn’t a fit for this defense. 

I wouldn’t plan on having DeVonta Smith add weight. He doesn’t have the body type. He’s a Todd Pinkston. He’ll always be super skinny. That weight is 3 pounds lighter than Desean Jackson and Todd Pinkston. In today’s NFL, I think he’ll be fine. They limit contact past 5 yards so much now. DeVonta seems very adept at getting off the LOS, even against the press. Go back and watch him eat Jaycee Horn’s lunch last year. 

In any case, I’d be stunned in Devonta fell to 19. My main worry with his weight/build is run blocking. Not going to be a big contributor there.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Atwell is a Brandon Banks clone. 

Zaven Collins isn’t a fit for this defense. 

I wouldn’t plan on having DeVonta Smith add weight. He doesn’t have the body type. He’s a Todd Pinkston. He’ll always be super skinny. That weight is 3 pounds lighter than Desean Jackson and Todd Pinkston. In today’s NFL, I think he’ll be fine. They limit contact past 5 yards so much now. DeVonta seems very adept at getting off the LOS, even against the press. Go back and watch him eat Jaycee Horn’s lunch last year. 

In any case, I’d be stunned in Devonta fell to 19. My main worry with his weight/build is run blocking. Not going to be a big contributor there.

15 pounds isn’t much to add and his frame more than supports that weight and he shouldn’t lose a step. This is what paid professionals do for a living. Saying he can’t support more than 169 is crazy talk.

Edit to clarify: that’s a decision whatever team drafts him needs to make after they get him in building. If he’s more than fine against NFL bodies and taking NFL hits where he is... no reason to add too much to the frame. If not, adding 10-15 isn’t an issue.

Edited by KDawg

Zaven's speed I believe was clocked when he was he was at 259.  From what I understand he weighed himself then, too.  So I am gathering there might be a method to the madness of putting on 11 pounds basically in 2 weeks?

Tutu is fun to watch but wow you aren't surviving at 150 pounds in the NFL.  

As for Devonta he clearly needs to put on weight.  I am wondering if he drops to 19 now.  the thing is its not just he's too skinny but he's had the off season to change that narrative and he hasn't done it so I wonder if that alone makes some teams higher in the draft pause.   

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

the lower time for Zaven was when he was he was at 259.  From what I understand he weighed himself then, too.  So I am gathering there might be a method to the madness of putting on 11 pounds basically in 2 weeks?

Tutu is fun to watch but wow you aren't surviving at 150 pounds in the NFL.  

As for Devonta he clearly needs to put on weight.  I am wondering if he drops to 19 now.  the thing is its not just he's too skinny but he's had the off season to change that narrative and he hasn't done it so I wonder if that alone makes some teams higher in the draft pause.   

I'm definitely sitting here wondering how much weight he's capable of adding. I think teams are going to have Waddle before him on their boards.

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

3 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I'm definitely sitting here wondering how much weight he's capable of adding. I think teams are going to have Waddle before him on their boards.

Agree Waddle will go earlier.  I love Devonta and would take him at 19.  But the fact that he had the off season to put on weight on hasn't done it is weird.  Super fast metabolism?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree Waddle will go earlier.  I love Devonta and would take him at 19.  But the fact that he had the off season to put on weight on hasn't done it is weird.  Super fast metabolism?

Probably more strategic. He probably has a ton of feedback from teams. If there are teams at the top he wants to avoid an easy way is to not add weight to your frame.

Another possibility is he weighed even less before. 

Or maybe a team at the top wants him lighter so he opted to wait and see what happened.

Fast metabolism IS a thing but a good S&C coach can overcome that really easily.

• Like 1

I had Funk in my rankings in the 6th.  I'd put him higher if it weren't for two ACL tears.  I am thinking though those 2 tears might have him go undrafted.  I noticed he wasn't even ranked by some of the draft guides I have.   If so I'd chase him as an undrafted FA.   He's a good special teams player, too. 

https://247sports.com/Article/Jake-Funk-NFL-Draft-2021-Mike-Locksley-thankful-pursuit-Maryland-Terrapins-football-164463306/

Funk shined at his Pro Day in March, posting a 4.43-second 40-yard dash, vertical-leaping 38 inches, broad-jumping 10 feet 2 inches and doing 22 bench press reps at 225 pounds.

"It was amazing. I mean, we had a great showing from the NFL scouts and I thanked all of them for coming and for their support and I mean, it was something that I've been waiting for, for a long time,” Funk said after his Pro Day. “You go through every single year and you see all your friends doing this, you know, specifically, other running backs like Ty [Johnson] and seeing Ant-Mac [Anthony MacFarland] and Javon [Leake] at the combine and stuff like that, so it's just something that I've been waiting for, for the opportunity and obviously the results were something that I was very happy with, something that I was not surprised about and something that everybody in this building knew, but I just needed the opportunity to show, literally couldn't have shown any better."

7COMMENTS

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I got Brevin if you noticed ranked as my 2nd favorite TE on the list I produced.  I haven't seen him ranked that way by any mock drafter.  When we do our short list of "our guys" before the draft like we typically do, Jordan will definitely be on that list. 

He's a YAC machine in the flat.

I do like Brevin's tape, but I just can't put a guy who's shown that he can't stay healthy as my TE2. I have Freiermuth as my TE2. 

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Zaven's speed I believe was clocked when he was he was at 259.  From what I understand he weighed himself then, too.  So I am gathering there might be a method to the madness of putting on 11 pounds basically in 2 weeks?

I thought the Tulsa proday was actually two days after this medical combine.  Looks like it was on the 3rd and the combine was on the 1st.  Does anyone else know the date of this combine for sure?

Shows how inconsistent these measurements are.  And I think Zaven is not the finely honed type of body formed in an NFL caliber strength and conditioning program, and that he walks around at fluctuating weights.

Zaven has untapped upside.  Physical as well as skill development upside.

• Like 1