Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Dueling mocks with Kiper/McShay

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/insider/story/_/id/31248966/three-round-nfl-mock-draft-2021-mel-kiper-jr-todd-mcshay-make-their-picks-nos-1-105-including-six-qbs

19. Washington Football Team

Kiper's pick: Jamin Davis, LB, Kentucky

Washington has a great front four, but it could upgrade at middle linebacker. Davis has elite tape from the 2020 season, and he has some coverage ability, too.

20. Chicago Bears

McShay's pick: Caleb Farley, CB, Virginia Tech

I'm not seeing any offensive tackles here for Chicago, even if I were to reach a little bit, and the Day 1 quarterbacks are off the board. So with Desmond Trufant on a one-year deal, I like Farley -- probably the top cover corner in the class -- as a running mate to Jaylon Johnson for years to come.

21. Indianapolis Colts

Kiper's pick: Jaelan Phillips, DE, Miami

I can't believe this is the first edge rusher off the board. Phillips has a history of injuries -- he medically retired from football when he was at UCLA -- but there's no denying his pass-rush traits. And that's the Colts' biggest need.

22. Tennessee Titans

McShay's pick: Elijah Moore, WR, Ole Miss

I keep going back and forth on Moore and Florida's Kadarius Toney, but I like Moore's explosiveness as a replacement for the Titans' free-agency losses in the receiving game (Corey Davis, Jonnu Smith and Adam Humphries).

23. New York Jets (via SEA)

Kiper's pick: Greg Newsome II, CB, Northwestern

I thought about defensive end Kwity Paye here, but Newsome could be the Jets' top corner on Day 1. New coach Robert Saleh will love Newsome's ability to turn and run against even the fastest wideouts.

ESPN

pit.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

24. Pittsburgh Steelers

McShay's pick: Najee Harris, RB, Alabama

Pittsburgh's 3.6 yards per carry ranked last in the NFL in 2020, and it just lost its most productive rusher in James Conner. Mel might not like first-round running backs, but this makes too much sense.

jax.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

25. Jacksonville Jaguars (via LAR)

Kiper's pick: Kadarius Toney, WR, Florida

I love the fit for Toney in Jacksonville, where new coach Urban Meyer can come up with creative ways to get the ball in his hands. He'll be Trevor Lawrence's best friend.

cle.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

26. Cleveland Browns

McShay's pick: Kwity Paye, DE, Michigan

It's a mini slide for Paye, my top-ranked edge rusher, but Cleveland isn't complaining. The Browns still need a high-end pass-rusher opposite Myles Garrett, even after the Jadeveon Clowney and Takkarist McKinley signings.

27. Baltimore Ravens

Kiper's pick: Terrace Marshall Jr., WR, LSU

I'm staying consistent here -- I've had Marshall to the Ravens in each of my four mock drafts -- because Lamar Jackson needs an outside threat. Marshall was overshadowed a bit at LSU, but he can run every route.

no.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

28. New Orleans Saints

McShay's pick: Rashod Bateman, WR, Minnesota

If Jameis Winston and/or Taysom Hill are going to have any sort of success, they need receiver reinforcements. Bateman makes tough catches in the middle of the field and is versatile.

gb.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

29. Green Bay Packers

Kiper's pick: Teven Jenkins, OT, Oklahoma State

Since McShay took Bateman, I'll settle for a starting tackle for Green Bay. Jenkins, who played right tackle in college, is extremely physical in the running game.

buf.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

30. Buffalo Bills

McShay's pick: Zaven Collins, LB, Tulsa

Collins can cover, shoot gaps in run defense and rush the passer. He'd fit nicely next to Tremaine Edmunds and Matt Milano at the second level and help shore up Buffalo's middle-of-the-pack pass rush.career.

kc.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

31. Kansas City Chiefs

Kiper's pick: Landon Dickerson, C, Alabama

I'm a big fan of Dickerson, who might go in Round 2 because he tore his ACL in December. If he's healthy, though, he could step in and start at center for the Chiefs, who need more quality linemen.

tb.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

32. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

McShay's pick: Jalen Mayfield, OT, Michigan

Mayfield is a drive blocker who can help open lanes for the Bucs' running game. I think he'd serve as a swing tackle early on before eventually earning a starting gig opposite 2020 first-rounder Tristan Wirfs.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

8 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Jamin is one of the most intriguing and fastest risers in the draft. 19 feels earlier for him, would love to get in their heads on how they feel about him or really the LBers in general. 

With Zaven being a bigger edge type body now I think I’ve moved away from first round LB. I just don’t see it with any of them. JOK/Jamin included at 19.

If the top 3 OTs are all gone I’m looking trade back first unless a Najee/Devonta/Waddle are on the board. 

Then it’s Moehrig. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

With Zaven being a bigger edge type body now I think I’ve moved away from first round LB. I just don’t see it with any of them. JOK/Jamin included at 19.

If the top 3 OTs are all gone I’m looking trade back first unless a Najee/Devonta/Waddle are on the board. 

Then it’s Moehrig. 

That's where I am at too. LB has been so frustrating, to me the biggest need no great answer now unless you chance Parsons and he won't be there at 19. The only thing would be if they fall in love with JOK or Jamin. If Darrisaw is gone at 19, and I expect him to be gone, I trade down for sure.

2 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

That's where I am at too. LB has been so frustrating, to me the biggest need no great answer now unless you chance Parsons and he won't be there at 19. The only thing would be if they fall in love with JOK or Jamin. If Darrisaw is gone at 19, and I expect him to be gone, I trade down for sure.

The only other option is trading up for a QB. The way the draft prospects are currently and the rumored draft projections it’s actually a really good idea to try to move up to 7/8 if a QB they like falls. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The only other option is trading up for a QB. The way the draft prospects are currently and the rumored draft projections it’s actually a really good idea to try to move up to 7/8 if a QB they like falls. 

Unfortunately for Fields I think this happens.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Don't tell KDawg that. :ols:

29 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Then it’s Moehrig. 

Man, I'm with you 100% on this. Maybe a CB falls, but im not high on JOK or Davis at 19 (although I'd live with it).

Harris, Moehrig, Smith I guess. Im still high on Collins if he can get a hold of his weight. Him being able to size up and go hand in the dirt pass rush might be interesting though. We'd have a Line similar to that Giants SB team.

I think im still trade our first this year for a day 2 pick and first next year though. 

And if we did, I'd consider trading Scherff for a pick next year and a day 3 this year, too.

5 QBs

3 OTs

1 IOL

1 TE

3 WRs

4 CBs

1 LB

That's what feels most likely for the top 18 to me.  But I think you could take away one CB and add a LBer or something along those lines.

I think Darrisaw will very probably go top 15.  And I think k AVT will go soon after.

I think we are very likely looking at either Newsome, Parsons, Farley, or Owusu-Koromoah as BPA at 19 if the top 18 are chalky picks.

I think Barmore, Paye, and Phillips are likely the only DLs that could crash the party in the top 18, and that we should be praying they do so they can push someone down to us.

If no DL goes top 18, we are going to have a tough time trading down IMO.  There will be a glut of equivalent options in the 20s and I think teams will just sit tight and wait to see who drops to them.  Jaelen Phillips and Kwity Paye don't strike me as the type of prospects you fall in love with and trade the house for.  Phillips has already had to medically retire from football once before.

Parsons is still not on my board.  The Vikings are going to have to cut Jeff Gladney a year after picking him.  Do not take chances on childish prospects with histories of violence early in the draft.  They will burn you bad.  First round picks need to be leaders, not off field problems, especially at LBer.

If we are unlucky, Newsome goes, Owusu-Koromoah goes, and Farley is the one who drops to 19.  That leaves us reaching for a tackle or LBer or WR or picking a CB with a history of fairly severe back injuries.

Farley is off of my board in the first round.  I'm not ****ing with a kid who already has a bad back at 19.  In the second round, OK, but not at 19.

I don't know about Teven Jenkins at 19.  He's a RT with rumors of maturity concerns.  That pick makes me feel very uneasy.

19 is too early for Jamin for me period.  I think he's a second round pick.  I can not reconcile his lack of starts and snaps with him providing adequate value at 19.

Eichenberg is a second round pick for me too.

Everything in that situation points to Najee or Etienne being BPA.

I can stomach Bateman or Cosmi at 19, but most sources would have that as a big reach.

And I still love Zaven and would take him 19 but I'm getting lonely on that spot.

I would not pick a safety in the first round.  Not unless they were a Jamal Adams type of player.  Shawn Davis in the fifth round is good enough value.  Hufanga in the sixth or seventh is realistic.

Thus my BPA pool at 19 is Etienne, Harris, Collins, Cosmi, and Bateman.  To me, Etienne and Harris are clearly the best players of that group.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, GothSkinsFan said:

We don't need a great LB behind our DL.  It's not as if we have a mediocre or even good DL; we have a great one that can be utterly dominant if the hole in the middle behind them is plugged.  The DL is who're going to make plays so long as their back is covered (literally).  I'm not saying no Parsons, i'm saying don't trade valuable picks to get him.  We have other needs.  Do we need to use a 2nd on TE given that our TE1's last name is now Thomas, not Paulsen, and we have, or will have, bigger needs at OT, OG, WR, RB, LB, and FS?

I can't think of one great defense that did not have really good or great linebackers. Can you?  We saw last year that even with an elite DL a defense can get gutted with poor linebacker play.  And that's what happened to the WFT in a number of games.

So yeah I'd be all over Parsons if that can happen affordably.  But I'd be more interested in Fields, I can't believe he may slide as far as many believe.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

5 QBs

3 OTs

1 IOL

1 TE

3 WRs

4 CBs

1 LB

That's what feels most likely for the top 18 to me.  But I think you could take away one CB and add a LBer or something along those lines.

I think Darrisaw will very probably go top 15.  And I think k AVT will go soon after.

I think we are very likely looking at either Newsome, Parsons, Farley, or Owusu-Koromoah as BPA at 19 if the top 18 are chalky picks.

I think Barmore, Paye, and Phillips are likely the only DLs that could crash the party in the top 18, and that we should be praying they do so they can push someone down to us.

If no DL goes top 18, we are going to have a tough time trading down IMO.  There will be a glut of equivalent options in the 20s and I think teams will just sit tight and wait to see who drops to them.  Jaelen Phillips and Kwity Paye don't strike me as the type of prospects you fall in love with and trade the house for.  Phillips has already had to medically retire from football once before.

Parsons is still not on my board.  The Vikings are going to have to cut Jeff Gladney a year after picking him.  Do not take chances on childish prospects with histories of violence early in the draft.  They will burn you bad.  First round picks need to be leaders, not off field problems, especially at LBer.

If we are unlucky, Newsome goes, Owusu-Koromoah goes, and Farley is the one who drops to 19.  That leaves us reaching for a tackle or LBer or WR or picking a CB with a history of fairly severe back injuries.

Farley is off of my board in the first round.  I'm not ****ing with a kid who already has a bad back at 19.  In the second round, OK, but not at 19.

I don't know about Teven Jenkins at 19.  He's a RT with rumors of maturity concerns.  That pick makes me feel very uneasy.

19 is too early for Jamin for me period.  I think he's a second round pick.  I can not reconcile his lack of starts and snaps with him providing adequate value at 19.

Eichenberg is a second round pick for me too.

Everything in that situation points to Najee or Etienne being BPA.

I can stomach Bateman or Cosmi at 19, but most sources would have that as a big reach.

And I still love Zaven and would take him 19 but I'm getting lonely on that spot.

I would not pick a safety in the first round.  Not unless they were a Jamal Adams type of player.  Shawn Davis in the fifth round is good enough value.  Hufanga in the sixth or seventh is realistic.

Thus my BPA pool at 19 is Etienne, Harris, Collins, Cosmi, and Bateman.  To me, Etienne and Harris are clearly the best players of that group.

What about Moerig?  I'd take Najee or Eitienne, but realistically we are probably not going to take a RB.  S is a need (Collins is most likely gone after this year and we have nothing at FS).

The best move might be to trade up.  Minny needs an edge (and tackle).  If they think AVT is only a guard and can wait for tackle in the 2nd (assuming Sewell, Slater, and Darisow are gone), and thus decide for edge in the first, trading down to 19 may not be a bad option for them.

Say the following are gone in the first 13:

5 qbs (Lawrence, Wilson, Jones, Lance, Fields)

3 OTs (Sewell, Slater, Darisow)

1 TE (Pitts)

1 CBs (Surtain/Horn)

2 WR (Chase, Waddle/Smith)

We could trade up and get a blue-chip player at 14 in either Horn/Surtain or Waddle/Smith.  It would cost our 3rd, but it might be worth it.

Edited by mhd24
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

Jamin is one of the most intriguing and fastest risers in the draft. 19 feels earlier for him, would love to get in their heads on how they feel about him or really the LBers in general. 

For me the LBs are

1. Parsons (but if the red flags are real stay away)

2.  Koramoah

3.  Jamin Davis

4.  Zach Collins

IMO 19 is rich for both Davis and Collins.  Some draftnik types agree with me on that and some don't.   But I wouldn't hate taking any of those 4 at 19.  I am assuming Parsons is out.  If so, I'd be jazzed if its Koramoah.  I don't think I've ever shifted so much on a player as the process went on.  I liked but didn't love Koramoah early on but I gather I looked at him too early in the process and watched the wrong games.  Now I love him as a player. 

I like Jamin and Collins but i think both are a little overrated by the ones who love them.  I think they both have some flaws that could prevent them from being killer good.  I think Collins has the higher floor over Jamin.  I think Jamin has the higher ceiling.  I prefer Jamin over Collins because I think he fits our needs better.

The one thing in common with all four linebackers is I think they all would help the pass rush.  Some here have shot down the value of a pass rush from the linebackers but to me look at Tampa with Devin White.  Some of the Tampa reporters have said Devin is their MVP on defense.  Also we rush our linebackers a lot.  I put up clips to demonstrate that point.  However, none of our current linebackers are good at doing it.  All four of these guys are really good pass rushers for linebackers IMO -- Parsons on that front in particular would be insane. 

On another note, Funk to me wuld be a fun get in the late rounds

• Like 9

I'd love Davis in round 2. He's like the perfect 2nd round pick to me. I wouldn't even mind trading back into the 1st like we did in 2019 to get Sweat to get Davis.

The biggest coup would be Darrisaw in round 1 and then getting Davis in round 2 or trading back up to round 1 to get him. Then get a TE with one of our 3rds.

• Like 4

@mhd24i kind of agree. We’ll see how things unfold and maybe a couple surprises go early and someone falls to us. 

but I think I’d prefer to trade 82 and 19 to move up to 13 or 14 to take Darrisaw if he’s still there. Or Smith or Waddle. But at 19 it’s a bit of a crap shoot. Certainly someone could be at 19 that another team wants and we can add some draft capital but BPA isn’t a great fit at 19 and otherwise it seems like a reach for a fit. 

I like Teven Jenkins plenty but he’s more a Guard or RT. But if he’s BPA you could do worse than investing in the OL I suppose. 

Jenkins at LG this year and hope Charles pushes Lucas at LT. 

40 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I posted that reference that questioned Tevin's personality.  But diving deeper, I don't think its maturity as least from the context of him being a bad dude or a knucklehead, etc.  The narrative seems to be he had the light turned on in 2020 both work ethic wise and playing with a mean streak which wasn't the story in 2019.

Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 9.53.11 AM.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Updated the corners by adding picks.  It's another category I've watched some players but nowhere enough to do my own full scale ranking

Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 8.58.12 AM.png

I hope that time and average testing makes Molden fall into the 3rd.

19 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'd love Davis in round 2. He's like the perfect 2nd round pick to me. I wouldn't even mind trading back into the 1st like we did in 2019 to get Sweat to get Davis.

The biggest coup would be Darrisaw in round 1 and then getting Davis in round 2 or trading back up to round 1 to get him. Then get a TE with one of our 3rds.

that would be great, got doubts both fall to our picks in those rounds but if it happened I'd be plenty happy

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I hope that time and average testing makes Molden fall into the 3rd.

Molden would fit us well, we need a slot

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

Fields to SF is hotter now in the rumorville than Mac Jones.  If Kyle wanted to cultivate mystery, he's done a masterful job of it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

that would be great, got doubts both fall to our picks in those rounds but if it happened I'd be plenty happy

Molden would fit us well, we need a slot

Fields to SF is hotter now in the rumorville than Mac Jones.  If Kyle wanted to cultivate mystery, he's done a masterful job of it.

Understand but this is beat reporters thoughts.  We won't know until 4/29.  

Edited by RWJ