Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

45 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I'm a bit confused by the Below Average grade for Holcomb. How is Payne Average with an overall grade of 68.2 last season but Holcolmb is Below Average with an overall grade of 72.0 last season?

Agree that Bostic is doodoo though.

Holcomb has played beyond any ones expectations and was asked to do more that expected. He played admirably but he does have weaknesses. With another year experience in this defense and hopefully with improvements next him and at FS, he should shine and his grade will skyrocket!

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I'm a bit confused by the Below Average grade for Holcomb. How is Payne Average with an overall grade of 68.2 last season but Holcolmb is Below Average with an overall grade of 72.0 last season?

Agree that Bostic is doodoo though.

I have noticed PFF does this at times. Their grades don't line up with their opinions. 

• Like 2

A dude from the Draft Network did a 7 round mock for the WFT

On defense, it starts and stops up front with Chase Young, Daron Payne, Montez Sweat, and Jonathan Allen. The secondary group of Kendall Fuller, Landon Collins, Kamren Curl, and the prize of the Washington offseason in corner William Jackson III, shores up one of the most menacing young defenses in football. 

With free agency now in its latter stages, let’s get right into it. Using our Mock Draft Machine, I looked at which prospects Washington could target in this post-free-agency draft haul. Here is my seven-round mock including scheme fit on each prospect:

ROUND 1 (NO. 19 OVERALL): TEVEN JENKINS, OT, OKLAHOMA STATE

Washington is in a situation of BPA (best player available) at No.19 overall. It’s crazy to say that considering the debacle that has been Washington as a franchise both on and off the field the last two decades, but here we are. At No. 19 overall there is no outlying need, and a trade back by Rivera here wouldn’t be surprising. In fact, it could be their best move. However, for this article’s sake, I take one of the more underappreciated tackles in the class in Jenkins.

If you haven’t seen Jenkins play, do yourself a favor and turn on his tape. At 6-foot-6, he embarrassed opposing defenders on a weekly basis during his time in Stillwater. On the outside, he’s a fun-loving, charismatic, almost quirky individual, but man can the kid play football. Washington’s offensive line represents one of the more veteran units in the division but has room to improve, especially if Brandon Scherff departs town sooner than anyone thought he would. Jenkins has the ability to start at both tackle and guard, and could do so from day one if Saahdiq Charles fails to rehab properly. This is a BPA selection that could turn into a high-snap player due to his immense talent within the interior. He simply can’t be passed up here at No. 19.

ROUND 2 (NO. 51 OVERALL): JABRIL COX, LB, LSU

As good as Washington’s defense was, and can be moving forward, they must improve at the second level. With Kevin Pierre-Louis now in Houston joining Thomas Davis and Reuben Foster as ‘backers on the outs in Ashburn, the burgundy and gold MUST address the nucleus of their 4-3 front after failing to acquire Lavonte David in free agency. 

Cox is a do-it-all talent that should pair nicely with speedster Cole Holcomb and green dot Jon Bostic. Washington will also get Josh Harvey-Clemons back for additional depth in the middle. For a team that does so many things defensively under Del Rio, a rangy, sideline-to-sideline defender who excels in space like Cox could be the missing piece to a dominant unit for years to come.

ROUND 3 (NO. 74 OVERALL): TOMMY TREMBLE, TE, NOTRE DAME

Logan Thomas was a nice surprise in 2020, developing as one of the top targets within the Washington offense. Tremble would slot in nicely at TE2, allowing Scott Turner to utilize both versatile tight ends to work seamlessly together in both the run and pass game. Jeremy Sprinkle never developed into anything more than an extension of the line, and it was inherently obvious Washington was running the ball when he was in the game. You need more in today’s NFL. 

Tremble is a monster in the run game who dominated linebackers and safeties blocking for the Fighting Irish. He has excellent size, mobility, and would thrive both in-line and flexed out as an F-alignment tight end. He had trouble garnering targets behind Cole Kmet and Michael Mayer during his time in South Bend, but he has the talent to develop into a productive day one starter in the nation’s capital with Terry McLaurin and Curtis Samuel drawing eyes elsewhere in the offense. 

ROUND 3 (NO. 82 OVERALL): AMON-RA ST. BROWN, WR, USC

The additions of Samuel and Adam Humphries will prove to be massive adds for a quick-hitting Turner-run offense, but Washington needs some size on the outside. Cam Sims offers ideal vertical prowess on the boundary, as does Kelvin Harmon—who returns from injury—and 2020 rookie Antonio Gandy-Golden, but I don’t envision any of them carving out a prominent role within the offense. 

St. Brown is a proven top-tier athlete that has the skill set to work within each level of the defense that could take over the majority of Humphries’ reps working out of the slot. This would be an excellent add with Washington’s second third-round pick who could both start or work rotationally from the onset of his career.

ROUND 4 (NO. 124 OVERALL): JACOBY STEVENS, S, LSU

Following an outstanding pro day, Stevens’ stock has enjoyed a major exponential rise on league-wide draft boards due to his versatility. He did it all at LSU, starting at safety, linebacker, and working as a primary nickel defender on passing downs for the Tigers. 

He’s an aggressive box defender who can survive in short zones with good instincts and vision, and he has the quickness necessary to stick with tight ends and running backs in coverage. A former 5-star recruit in high school, a scenario could present itself where Stevens ends up taking Collins’ snaps due to his athleticism and pursuit as a do-it-all talent at the apex of a defense to pair with Curl.

ROUND 5 (NO. 163 OVERALL): DEOMMODORE LENOIR, CB, OREGON

Fuller and Jackson are stenciled in as starters on the outside, but questions arise when looking into the slot. Del Rio is high on Moreland entering his third season, but he could opt to add an additional face in the corners room in the versatile Lenoir. As a Duck, he thrived in zone coverage both in nickel and as an outside stalwart. He’s aggressive with patient footwork, has promising ball skills, and could thrive as a ball-hawking talent within Del Rio’s hybrid scheme.

ROUND 7 (NO. 244 OVERALL): CHRIS RUMPH II, EDGE, DUKE

This late in the draft is simply BPA for Washington. With Kerrigan now gone, I expect Rumph to fill his shoes from a rotational standpoint. Behind Young and Sweat, Rumph could earn significant snaps due to his elite skill set as a speed rusher off the edge. He plays with outstanding technique who can also work standing up as well. This late in the selection process, it doesn’t get much better than Rumph.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/washington-football-team-7-round-mock-draft-april

ROUND 7 (NO. 246 OVERALL): PAUL GRATTAN, IOL, UCLA

Ryan McCollum out of Texas A&M was of interest here, but durability concerns drew me to Grattan, a nasty interior blocker who has the potential to develop into a nice prospect at either center or guard. With the prior mentioned questions surrounding the future of Scherff, and Wes Schweitzer limited as far as an overall athlete, Grattan would offer nice depth in case of injury. No one is saying he will start Week 1, but Grattan touts the finishing ability and run-game prowess coaches love from interior linemen.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I will happily blow an octopus for a draft like that.

Reminds me of this one night I was so drunk that I tried to screw an octopus but couldn’t get its pajamas off. Turned out it was just a set of bagpipes.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

6 hours ago, KDawg said:

So just to follow up:

Lawrence

Fields

Lance

Wilson

Chase

Smith

Waddle

Sewell

Slater

Darrisaw

Pitts

Harris

Jamin

Moehrig

JOK

Zaven

Horn

Surtain

Farley

Barmore (yes, he would be redundant... for now)

Close in consideration:

Jenkins

Mac

And I’m sure I’m forgetting someone.

Beuchele???

• Haha 2

Just now, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

Beuchele???

Patience. Reaching is for those who lack vision.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I will happily blow an octopus for a draft like that.

It’s the happily that makes this weird. Or maybe all of it. But definitely that part. 

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, randyjohnson said:

I am leaning heavily towards trading back 7 to 8 picks, I am not a draft expert but wonder if we can get an extra second or early third!

Although every trade is based on how badly one team wants to trade,  here are the trade value charts:

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart-Rich-Hill.asp

:229:The Rook

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rumplestilskin said:

I think you would need 8 mouths for that to work.😆

Where's your sense of adventure?! 

That would be a pretty nice draft. At least the start of it. I'm not too familiar with the later guys, but I wouldn't really care if we started off the first 3 rounds like that lol

Edited by duffy
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fresh8686 said:

Damn, there is a part of me that wants JOK on this team so bad. That defense would be fierce with him at WILL. He is such a tone setter and in that way kind of what we hoped Reuben was going to be. 

I want us to get either Fields, Surtain, Owusu-Koromoah, Smitty, Chase, Pitts, Slater, Cosmi, Najee, Etienne, Jenkins, or Darrisaw at 19.  Considering that Sewell, Lawrence, Lance, Wilson, and most likely Horn and Waddle will go top 18, one of those 12 will probably be there.

I would put Bateman on the list too, but I'm now eyeing him as an option at 51 and would much rather get him there.

I'm torn between Owusu-Koromoah and Surtain as the top defensive player in the class for our scheme.  I'm about 98% confident that Surtain would be a 9+ AV player here, and hit that level of contribution early in his career.  And I think he is the kind of corner that could make our defense ironclad.  But there is something special about Owusu-Koromoah.  There is some bust factor with him, but he is such a starry playmaker that I think he could be the best defender in the class in the right scheme.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I want us to get either Fields, Surtain, Owusu-Koromoah, Smitty, Chase, Pitts, Slater, Cosmi, Najee, Etienne, Jenkins, or Darrisaw at 19.  Considering that Sewell, Lawrence, Lance, Wilson, and most likely Horn and Waddle will go top 18, one of those 12 will probably be there.

I would put Bateman on the list too, but I'm now eyeing him as an option at 51 and would much rather get him there.

I'm torn between Owusu-Koromoah and Surtain as the top defensive player in the class for our scheme.  I'm about 98% confident that Surtain would be a 9+ AV player here, and hit that level of contribution early in his career.  And I think he is the kind of corner that could make our defense ironclad.  But there is something special about Owusu-Koromoah.  There is some bust factor with him, but he is such a starry playmaker that I think he could be the best defender in the class in the right scheme.

If we got someone like Surtain, I dont know how you beat this defense. Two likely very good corners on the outside with Kendall Fuller at nickel with a top DL to go with a likely top 5 secondary, best young defense in the league without a doubt. With one move we upgrade outside CB and nickel (where Fuller rated at a 90+ in 2017 according to PFF)

I'm torn like you are with the defense and what I'd like us to do. I have a hard time believing Surtain will be there, so I like Farley (even with his back problem). Maybe Horn is really good but I'm unsure about him still . JOK seems like a fit for a modern defense and would probably be a very complimentary player to Curl. There's not a lot that the team could do in this draft to tick me off honestly. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

No Jamin Davis huh? Your list should make you happy. I bet they get one of those guys. And for sure, since there are 2 RB's on your list, one will drop to us. 

I'm with you about JOK. His pro day numbers aren't that of Jamin Davis. But, he was the better collegiate player. He's the best coverage backer in the draft by a mile. He's also the most violent hitter, even when considering much bigger guys, like Parsons. Would I rather have Parsons? Yes. But JOK would do a lot for our scheme flexibility, defensive team speed, and coverage. I do worry that he wouldn't bring as much against the run as Jamin Davis or Micah Parsons. And I really, really love Parsons as a blitzer. I don't think Devin White's 11.5 is a reasonable bar for any LB, but I think Parsons could really rack up sacks for us. 

I'm a little surprised you like Surtain that much more that Jaycee Horn. I see them as similar, but I think Horn is better. IMHO, he produced at a higher level in the same conference. He also has ELITE measureables. 6'1" with 33" arms, 4.39 40, 41.5 inch vert and 11'1" pro day. He's not falling to us, but I might rather have Jaycee Horn for this defense than any other defender in this draft class. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1