Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

20 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think WR is still firmly on the table on the first 2 days too. RB is completely off though IMO.

Who knows, I thought the same thing last year when they took gibson early.  And we are arguably thinner at rb today than we were last April.

1 minute ago, Silvernon said:

🥲

The Fitzmagic has something to do with it. He's tough, has a low sack % and generally makes quick decisions. 

Tired of making it easy for QBs. Better LBs and a legit FS are big time needs (with Curl and WJ3 solidifying the other traditionally gaping holes) that simply cannot go unaddressed headed into the draft. 

At least at LT you have:

- Lucas (PFF grade of 78.2 on 536 snaps)

- Geron, who probably doesn't figure it out

- Christian, who has some Trent physical traits and could be an answer. 

Lucas was a nice surprise but cementing him as the answer to our LT position is not something I would personally do. Ideally he is our next Ty Nsekhe, who was a fantastic reserve player and spot starter. There is not a single LB I would take over Cosmi, Jenkins, Darrisaw or Slater. In fact, it's not even remotely close for me. We have Khaleke Hudson, who is interesting too. 

18 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Lucas was a nice surprise but cementing him as the answer to our LT position is not something I would personally do. Ideally he is our next Ty Nsekhe, who was a fantastic reserve player and spot starter. There is not a single LB I would take over Cosmi, Jenkins, Darrisaw or Slater. In fact, it's not even remotely close for me. We have Khaleke Hudson, who is interesting too. 

This exactly. ☝️

What has Lucas been in his career to date? And what should we expect? Probably regression to the mean. You can’t look at the individuals that make up our LT depth chart and tell me it’s reasonable to expect them to perform in the top half of the league for any length of time. 

1 hour ago, Chump Bailey said:

Yea, positional value alone kind of leads me to OT if you value any of them as starting LTs. We can get away with filling LB in FA or later in draft if we have to. And I really like those LBs.

We need a LT (and might need a RT soon as well.) Plus, since Scherrf isn’t signed to a LTD we could need more help at OG next year. 

No one is talking about AVT, but there are some folks who think he can stick at LT or go inside and be an all pro guard. Would give us some good options and wouldn’t be bad value at 19 if we are really high on Charles as a possible LT. 

I still think it will end being Darrisaw, with Cosmi drafted earlier.

The issue is that there are many teams above us that need o-line.  I figure LAC and Minny will both take LTs.  Dallas could easily take Slater over a CB if he's there.  Vegas might take Teven Jenkins to be there RT or AVT to play as guard.  I'm just hoping one of Darisow, Cosmi, or AVT is there.  Heck, Tony Pauline thinks Jenkins can play LT.  

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I know its about drafting for BPA but sometimes need and BPA collide some.  And I trust Keim's read of the situation.   Sounds like TE in the draft is a given and probably high in the draft versus low in the draft.  LT, too.  And I'd guess MLB considering how they've approached FA.  If so the hard thing is puzzling it.

You'd think if you want a LT you'd do that one early:  Cosmi or Darrisaw.  2nd round -- best available LB?  Jamin Davis, Bolton, Cox, Browning?  3rd whoever is left at TE?  Hunter Long, maybe Tremble or Jordan are still left?

If they are really hot for TE they might have to do that in the 2nd before LB.

If they go Collins then they likely have to do that in the first and hope for a LT to fall to the late 2nd and get a TE in the third.

Maybe pony up the thirds to jump back into the second?

17 hours ago, mhd24 said:

I don’t know if they go tackle.  They have Thomas, and redid Solders contact.  Do they take AVT to play as guard?  Do they take Slater (if he’s there) and play him at guard?  Do they gamble on Parsons?

I'd think Slater is in play there.  More people see him as a OG than a LT.  

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It took awhile for me to warm up to JOK but I have and big time.   He's be a really good nickle player covering TEs in paricular.  My issue with it is with Collins playing SS (I presume), Curl assumes a similar role.  They had JOK in nickle a lot.  He's like a missle on the field -- reminds me of Chinn on that front.

I was listening to Jim Nagy talk up JOK in a podcast and then when asked about his fit here, he agreed he's probably redundant if the goal is to draft a player who fits a gaping need. 

Nagy said and have heard others say the same he played even lighter than his listed weight, probably around 200 punds.  I think pro day is big for him.  I presume he will try to put some weight on.  If he lets say gets up to 220 without losing speed then maybe he plays WLB?  If so, I'd feel better about the fit. 

I have been pretty worried about JOK's size, because I couldn't think of a comparably sized LB that had been very successful. But, apparently Darius Leonard played a good part of last season at 215 and nobody was complaining about his size. 

"Yes, Leonard did weigh 234 pounds when he reported to the Colts last spring, after being taken with the 36th pick in 2018.

But that weight did not maintain.

In fact, Leonard admits that he weighed a mere 215 pounds when the Colts played their Divisional Round matchup against the Chiefs."

https://www.1075thefan.com/kevins-sports-news/colts/darius-leonard-changing-his-body-going-into-second-nfl-season/#:~:text=Yes%2C Leonard did weigh 234,Round matchup against the Chiefs.

I don't think he's redundant. I think he's a WILL and definitely one of the LB's that will be on the field when we are in the nickel. Furthermore, I don't think there is anything wrong with some redundancy in the secondary. Having a bunch of guys that can play multiple positions is a huge schematic advantage. You could line JOK up at WILL and have him cover even a high end slot WR. Or blitz him. Or drop him as the SS. He's just going to be so good in coverage and he's also a great blitzer. Imagine him used as a spy against a mobile QB. He would bring so much to the table. I do think he would be better paired with a real hammer at MIKE though. Someone that can stack and shed and fill gaps, etc. 

I'm honestly not sure who I prefer between JOK and Zaven Collens. I do think positional value would make me lean Cosmi over both. How much better is JOK than Jabril Cox for instance? I think the drop off there is probably a lot less than that between Cosmi and the tackles likely to be available at 51. 

Edit:

Also, look at the knack for big plays. Strip fumbles. TFL. Interceptions. And he hits like a hammer. Look at the tackle at the 2 minute mark. I think this might actually be the guy I root for at 19. 

23 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My thing on that is TEs seems to go earlier in the draft as expected in recent years.  Not sure why.  Could be because its usually crappy in FA.   They tend to develop more slowly that the typical spot so I gather once they do, most teams don't like to let them go.   And not as many good eggs like you got at Wr and other spots.

If the Patriots have made the TE market irrational with their horrible drafting, and I believe they have, then that is all the more reason to avoid getting suckered into that game by drafting for need.  Remember, we're not trying to just get value for TE picks, but value for draft picks period.

The Patriots are guilty of awful team building, and I think the football world recognizes they've jumped the shark but is too scared to say it because of their history.  They committed two big reaches for TE prospects in the third last year and then immediately signed two big money FAs at the position ensuring they will never get any value for those picks.  They traded up for Keene too, that cost them three picks so the total haul was four mid to late round draft picks for five total receptions last year, to be immediately replaced by big contracts.  That is horrible mismanagement of their draft capital and it's why they had to spend like drunken sailors this free agency period in order to patch up their bombed-out roster.

I don't want to base any sense of the value of these TE prospects off of New England precedents any more.

I like Tremble's traits and his young age but he is really, really lacking as a receiver.  In the two years he played, the majority of his games are 1 or 0 catch days.  He was largely invisible and inconsequential to that program's success the past two years.  That production just isn't NFL caliber.  The traits are special enough to make him an upside play, but you don't take that kind of risk on the first two days IMO.  There are definitely going to be players who are better and far more accomplished and at least as athletic as him throughout round three.  On day three?  Sure, that's when you start buying lotto tickets for players with risk/reward profiles like him.

George Kittle has us all searching for the next version of him, but even he was a fifth round pick and it's just so unlikely for a lotto ticket with low collegiate production to blow up and be a way better pro.  You have to mitigate that risk appropriately.  Also, I find myself unwilling to spend a second or third on Tremble when a similar upside play in Tre' McKitty is getting projected in the sixth or seventh round.  Why not just wait when the reward profile is close enough but the risk is lower?

4 minutes ago, UKskins said:

Maybe pony up the thirds to jump back into the second?

Maybe, also if they are lucky they can trade down perhaps in the first and pick up maybe a late 2nd or third.  I think the late first through the top half of the third round looks good.  Granted that's a refrain we have almost every year.  The difference this time might be that the players in that range fit our needs almost perfectly. 

I have to admit i am blown away by Cosmi's pro day numbers.  I was already on the record here a couple of months or so again when I watched Darrisaw (who I liked but not loved) that I am not sure I'd take him over Cosmi and that was before the pro day numbers.

He has been one of @stevemcqueen1's guys for two years running.  He's maybe at the moment my top want at 19.  

There is a stronger correlation to athleticism at LT to performance than there is in most other positions. 

8 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If the Patriots have made the TE market irrational with their horrible drafting, and I believe they have, then that is all the more reason to avoid getting suckered into that game by drafting for need.  Remember, we're not trying to just get value for TE picks, but value for draft picks period.

The Patriots are guilty of awful team building, and I think the football world recognizes they've jumped the shark but is too scared to say it because of their history.  They committed two big reaches for TE prospects in the third last year and then immediately signed two big money FAs at the position ensuring they will never get any value for those picks.  They traded up for Keene too, that cost them three picks so the total haul was four mid to late round draft picks for five total receptions last year, to be immediately replaced by big contracts.  That is horrible mismanagement of their draft capital and it's why they had to spend like drunken sailors this free agency period in order to patch up their bombed-out roster.

I don't want to base any sense of the value of these TE prospects off of New England precedents any more.

I like Tremble's traits and his young age but he is really, really lacking as a receiver.  In the two years he played, the majority of his games are 1 or 0 catch days.  He was largely invisible and inconsequential to that program's success the past two years.  That production just isn't NFL caliber.  The traits are special enough to make him an upside play, but you don't take that kind of risk on the first two days IMO.  There are definitely going to be players who are better and far more accomplished and at least as athletic as him throughout round three.  On day three?  Sure, that's when you start buying lotto tickets for players with risk/reward profiles like him.

George Kittle has us all searching for the next version of him, but even he was a fifth round pick and it's just so unlikely for a lotto ticket with low collegiate production to blow up and be a way better pro.  You have to mitigate that risk appropriately.  Also, I find myself unwilling to spend a second or third on Tremble when a similar upside play in Tre' McKitty is getting projected in the sixth or seventh round.  Why not just wait when the reward profile is close enough but the risk is lower?

I figure we are hoping Brevin Jordan/Pat Friermouth falls to 51.  I could see LAC taking Jordan with their 2nd round pick to replace Henry if he's there.  TE is such a major need.  We have no one on the roster behind Logan Thomas.  But, you're right, we can't draft for need.  LT is such a premium position (this off-season showed it), that it has to be the pick above anything else at 19.  I wonder if Waddle falls to 19, do we take him?  I don't expect NYG to take a WR now at 11.  

12). SF (no way will they take a WR)

13). LAC (maybe, but highly doubtful)

14). Min (no way)

15). NE (I could see them take a WR, but CB is a major need for them.  Horn could be the pick).

16). AZ. (no way)

17). LV (Could see them take a WR, but I think o-line or LB are bigger needs.  Also could take Moehring)

18). Mia (no way (assuming they take Chase with their earlier first)).

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Maybe, also if they are lucky they can trade down perhaps in the first and pick up maybe a late 2nd or third.  I think the late first through the top half of the third round looks good.  Granted that's a refrain we have almost every year.  The difference this time might be that the players in that range fit our needs almost perfectly. 

I have to admit i am blown away by Cosmi's pro day numbers.  I was already on the record here a couple of months or so again when I watched Darrisaw (who I liked but not loved) that I am not sure I'd take him over Cosmi and that was before the pro day numbers.

He has been one of @stevemcqueen1's guys for two years running.  He's maybe at the moment my top want at 19.  

There is a stronger correlation to athleticism at LT to performance than there is in most other positions. 

Yeah, Stevemcqueen has made me a convert on Cosmi.  Is he one of those guys the draftniks miss on relative to where he goes (DJ doesn't even have him in his top 50).  Most have Sewell, Slater, Darisow, and AVT as the first 4 lineman taken.  Does he jump Darisow and AVT?

24 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I'm honestly not sure who I prefer between JOK and Zaven Collens. I do think positional value would make me lean Cosmi over both. How much better is JOK than Jabril Cox for instance? I think the drop off there is probably a lot less than that between Cosmi and the tackles likely to be available at 51. 

Yeah, considering our picks go 19, 51, 74, 82 you really have to factor in what you are likely looking at in that 51-82 range.

Can’t see it being a starting LT, maybe just at 51. Doubt it. Do they want to go with Lucas and another vet perhaps. Is Charles fully slated as a guard prospect?

But 51-82 will invariably get you a LB, TE and another LB or WR/DB.

The only way to address all of our needs is to trade back in the draft or sign more of the FA available at certain positions to be able to bypass the draft. If we do not, then there will be a position or two we can’t get what we need through the draft. 

Assuming we do not trade back AND we don’t sign any more FA meant to be starters, what position are you bypassing in the draft?

For me it’ll probably be DL, DB, and maybe RB Due to the FA available, even if they aren’t bonafide starters. 

If you trade back in the draft to say the end of the 1st or top of the second, then you have sufficient picks in the right spots to be able to address most of our remaining needs through the draft. 

If we wanna go BPA throughout the draft then more legit moves in FA are necessary. Imo. 

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It wasn't just the Pats who defied expectations, for example, Deguara went in the third.    Mock drafts had him mostly somehwere from the 4th-6th with a rare exception. 

Seems like some teams are fixated on TEs who are athletic and can block some too.  If I recall you aren't hung up on blocking with the TEs.  But it seems like some teams get jazzed about TEs with above average athleticism for that spot and are at least serviceable blockers.

If I had to pick one dude as my guy after the first round at the TE spot it would be Brevin Jordan for reasons i've stated too many times. :ols:  I am just a sucker for TE who looks fluid in and out of their breaks especially in short yardage in the flat.  I saw him in mocks anywhere from the 2nd-4th.  I am higher on him than most.  I think he's a 2nd rounder and right in the range of our pick.  i'd be very surprised if he's still there in the late 3rd -- maybe with our earlier 3rd?

I haven't really been able to find enough footage of Freiermuth to land on a real opinon on him.  but I love TEs with his kid of profile, 260 plus pounders who can do it all.  He seems in mocks to be in the 2nd-3rd. 

I liked what I saw from Hunter Long.  He's not overly fluid but he can motor with his long legs and can stretch the field.  I wished he was more physical as a player.  He's an OK blocker.  But he's not a TE who plays with much physicality with the ball in his hands or as to contested catches.     I think the 3rd makes sense for him.  I doubt he falls to the 4th round.

As for McKitty.  I watched him some in the Senior Bowl.  I liked what I saw.  But I can't find a game of his to watch.  I haven't looked in awhile though so maybe I can find one.  

As to Tremble.  I agree he's a projection as a receiver.  But we got people here including you that seem to judge the character of some players based on how they block.  I get the point since it demonstrates at times their attitude about the game and helping their team among other things.  To that point, shouldn't that work in reverse too?  I've not seen a TE run down field and block like Tremble in a long time.  He goes beyond just being assignment sound.  He takes it up a level.  A dude like that you'd figure would be physicial as a receiver?  Just so happens who is the dude with the highest/best contested catch rate among TEs?  Yep, its Tremble.  

For me, I want to see how he runs.  I am usually good at juding speed and agility but maybe i am off on him?  To me Tremble would be a 5th-6th rounder type if I thought his speed-agility was that of a typical TE.  But to my eyes the dude can motor.  As Notre Dame's 3rd TE, he still caught over 200 yards.

People here all the time (not you) tell me I am an idiot for liking some of the higher end prospects at TE over the years because the reality to them is the better TEs will be picked later like what happened with Kittle.  When I read those comments, my thoughts are typically please actually watch the TEs and if someone wants to sell me that name that later round prospect is better than the earlier one -- cool but at least pick a specific dude versus talk in generalities about it.

So for me, Tremble would somewhat fit that profile of a dude that didn't have college production compared to someone like Freiermuth, Jordan, Long, etc -- yet it wouldn't shock me if he developed into a better TE than these guys.  I wouldn't bet the house on it.  Again i am a Jordan guy first.  But it wouldn't shock me.

And yeah while people aren't talking about Tremble mostly as someone who will drop to the 5th round but the principle to me applies.  you are betting on traits.  Personally I think his value is in the third round.  And my major caveat on that point is i want to see his pro day numbers.  If its a pedestrain pro day than he loses much of his luster with me. 

I'll keep watching TEs.  But one dude who has caught my eye today is Kenny Yeboah.

Yeboah is fluid.  He played WR in high school and it shows.   He'd fit the mold of a TE whose athleticism looks above average for the spot, with blocking potential where teams might take a chance earlier than expected in the draft.  3rd-4th?  I actually can't make up my mind if I like Long or him more?  It's very close to me.  I think I might actually like Yeboah more because he strikes me as a dude with more upside.  I'll watch them both more and also back to back soon and make up my mind.   

When I watched him, I couldn't of course keep my eyes off of Elijah Moore.  As much as I am pumping up Brevin Jordan, I'd take Elijah Moore over him in the 2nd if he falls there and without flinching.  Moore is a stud IMO.  

Matt Corral is going to be an interesting pro evaluation.  He seems to have a rocket of an arm.  And he can run.  But a bad decision maker -- or at least that's how he looked to me in the two games I watched especially the Arkansas game.   He has a little Zach Wilson in his game the way he dodges pressure.  But he plays a bit wild.  He definitely needs to polish his game and work on his footwork/accuracy.  Reminds me some of Drew Lock. 

The Good

He's a fluid and looks like a receiver the way he plays.  He's not one of these lumbering old school TEs types for better or worse depending on your perspective

They used him everywhere -- in line, detached, H back, Y. 

Has longish arms -- really good catch radius

Seems like a natural hands catcher.  He played WR in high school and it shows.  Made some really fun highlight level acrobatic catches.  

He actually has good potential as a blocker.  He has his moments.  Other times he loses contain quicky or even whifs but you can see he blocks with gusto.  If you coach him up he can develop into a well rounded TE.  They kept him back to block a lot in the games I watched.  So he's got plenty of experience doing it. 

He doesn't look fast but is a long strider who gains speed as he is on the move so for that reason I'd bet his 40 time is more impressive than his 10 time.  I think he can break some big plays for that reason.  

Judging by his stats, he's a good YAC guy

Old Miss had a lot of play makers.  So he wasn't their featured guy.  That might have minimized his stats some.  In a more featured role, he probably would have had bigger stats.

The Bad

Lanky build and while he plays in a feisty way he can get bulldozed regardless

Long legs, long strider type takes awhile to kick start his speed

Grabby as a blocker, he will get some penalities if he plays

I wonder about whether he's a weapon in the flat.  He strikes in some ways as having opposite strength/weaknesses as Brevin Jordan.  Jordan is so quick in the flat and a big time weapon there (catch and run) but i don't love him as much stretching the field.   Yeboah on the other hand I am not sure is that quick getting open in the flat but once he hits the right gear in open field he can fly for a TE and has big play potential IMO.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It wasn't just the Pats who defied expectations, for example, Deguara went in the third.    Mock drafts had him mostly somehwere from the 4th-6th with a rare exception. 

Seems like some teams are fixated on TEs who are athletic and can block some too.  If I recall you aren't hung up on blocking with the TEs.  But it seems like some teams get jazzed about TEs with above average athleticism for that spot and are at least serviceable blockers.

If I had to pick one dude as my guy after the first round at the TE spot it would be Brevin Jordan for reasons i've stated too many times. :ols:  I am just a sucker for TE who looks fluid in and out of their breaks especially in short yardage in the flat.  I saw him in mocks anywhere from the 2nd-4th.  I am higher on him than most.  I think he's a 2nd rounder and right in the range of our pick.  i'd be very surprised if he's still there in the late 3rd -- maybe with our earlier 3rd?

I haven't really been able to find enough footage of Freiermuth to land on a real opinon on him.  but I love TEs with his kid of profile, 260 plus pounders who can do it all.  He seems in mocks to be in the 2nd-3rd. 

I liked what I saw from Hunter Long.  He's not overly fluid but he can motor with his long legs and can stretch the field.  I wished he was more physical as a player.  He's an OK blocker.  But he's not a TE who plays with much physicality with the ball in his hands or as to contested catches.     I think the 3rd makes sense for him.  I doubt he falls to the 4th round.

As for McKitty.  I watched him some in the Senior Bowl.  I liked what I saw.  But I can't find a game of his to watch.  I haven't looked in awhile though so maybe I can find one.  

As to Tremble.  I agree he's a projection as a receiver.  But we got people here including you that seem to judge the character of some players based on how they block.  I get the point since it demonstrates at times their attitude about the game and helping their team among other things.  To that point, shouldn't that work in reverse too?  I've not seen a TE run down field and block like Tremble in a long time.  He goes beyond just being assignment sound.  He takes it up a level.  A dude like that you'd figure would be physicial as a receiver?  Just so happens who is the dude with the highest/best contested catch rate among TEs?  Yep, its Tremble.  

For me, I want to see how he runs.  I am usually good at juding speed and agility but maybe i am off on him?  To me Tremble would be a 5th-6th rounder type if I thought his speed-agility was that of a typical TE.  But to my eyes the dude can motor.  As Notre Dame's 3rd TE, he still caught over 200 yards.

People here all the time (not you) tell me I am an idiot for liking some of the higher end prospects at TE over the years because the reality to them is the better TEs will be picked later like what happened with Kittle.  When I read those comments, my thoughts are typically please actually watch the TEs and if someone wants to sell me that name that later round prospect is better than the earlier one -- cool but at least pick a specific dude versus talk in generalities about it.

So for me, Tremble would somewhat fit that profile of a dude that didn't have college production compared to someone like Freiermuth, Jordan, Long, etc -- yet it wouldn't shock me if he developed into a better TE than these guys.  I wouldn't bet the house on it.  Again i am a Jordan guy first.  But it wouldn't shock me.

And yeah while people aren't talking about Tremble mostly as someone who will drop to the 5th round but the principle to me applies.  you are betting on traits.  Personally I think his value is in the third round.  And my major caveat on that point is i want to see his pro day numbers.  If its a pedestrain pro day than he loses much of his luster with me. 

I honestly think Brevin Jordan is going to be a star. Based on size and speed he's being compared to Jonnu Smith. Jonnu was 6'2.75" and 248 pounds at the combine. Jordan is listed at 6'3" and 245. Jonnu ran a 4.62 and jumped 38". Jordan reportedly ran a laser timed ran a 4.56 and jumped 38" in training. Jordan also led TE's in YAC and posted a monster 15.2YPC. But, to me, Jordan moves better than Jonnu.  He's so sudden in and out of his breaks. He reminds me of a bigger, faster Jordan Reed. 

I think Jordan could sneak into the 1st. I wouldn't hesitate to package my 2nd and a 3rd and go get him. 

1-Cosmi

2-Brevin Jordan

3-Tyan Wallace

Imagine the improvement in the offense adding Fitzmagic, Curtis Samuel, Sam Cosmi, Brevin Jordan and Tyan Wallace in one offseason. If we can buff up MLB and FS just a little...

5 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I honestly think Brevin Jordan is going to be a star. Based on size and speed he's being compared to Jonnu Smith. Jonnu was 6'2.75" and 248 pounds at the combine. Jordan is listed at 6'3" and 245. Jonnu ran a 4.62 and jumped 38". Jordan reportedly ran a laser timed ran a 4.56 and jumped 38" in training. Jordan also led TE's in YAC and posted a monster 15.2YPC. But, to me, Jordan moves better than Jonnu.  He's so sudden in and out of his breaks. He reminds me of a bigger, faster Jordan Reed. 

I think Jordan could sneak into the 1st. I wouldn't hesitate to package my 2nd and a 3rd and go get him. 

1-Cosmi

2-Brevin Jordan

3-Tyan Wallace

Imagine the improvement in the offense adding Fitzmagic, Curtis Samuel, Sam Cosmi, Brevin Jordan and Tyan Wallace in one offseason. If we can buff up MLB and FS just a little...

I'd love that 1st through third round.  If I had to pick three players who are among my favorite guys who I've talked about a ton on this thread its Wallace, B. Jordan and E. Moore. 

Jordan's pro day is big.   Will see.  I don't know if he jumps into the first.  But I can see him possibly going in the early 2nd.  I know mock drafter types don't seem to think so and believe he can fall to the third or even forth but they've been wrong about some players especially TEs. 

Buffalo State

DRAFT

2021 NFL Draft Prospect Interview: Cole Jenkins, LS, Buffalo State College

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • Cole Jenkins Buffalo State
Buffalo State longsnapper Cole Jenkins recently sat down with NFL Draft Diamonds owner Damond Talbot.
  • Name: Cole Jenkins
  • Height: 6’2
  • Weight: 240lbs
  • Position: Long Snapper
  • College: Buffalo State 
  • Twitter: @colejenkins78

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/05/cole-jenkins/

2 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

The only way to address all of our needs is to trade back in the draft or sign more of the FA available at certain positions to be able to bypass the draft. If we do not, then there will be a position or two we can’t get what we need through the draft. 

Assuming we do not trade back AND we don’t sign any more FA meant to be starters, what position are you bypassing in the draft?

For me it’ll probably be DL, DB, and maybe RB Due to the FA available, even if they aren’t bonafide starters. 

If you trade back in the draft to say the end of the 1st or top of the second, then you have sufficient picks in the right spots to be able to address most of our remaining needs through the draft. 

If we wanna go BPA throughout the draft then more legit moves in FA are necessary. Imo. 

Personally, I’m taking punters off the board and that’s it.  Well, maybe SS, but taking a flyer on one that can replace Collins next year and back up Kurl isn’t a bad idea, IMO.  I wouldn’t take a center only prospect early, but a late rounder is fine by me (unless they just love Keith Ismael).  

If I have my timeline right, we could potentially lose Allen and Settle after this year and Ioannidis the year after.  I wouldn’t take one early though - we need someone we can stash and develop (assuming we don’t trade a lineman away).  

Could use corner depth - playing Stroman or DJ outside is likely a big step down - as well as an eventually successor for Fuller and Jackson in a couple/few years.  I also don’t think we should be content with Moreland in the slot.  

We have one lead back on the roster, Barber is replacement level, and McKissick’s contract is up after this year.  

We need an edge rusher for depth.  If we happen to develop a good one, we’ll be in better shape when Sweat’s contract is up.  

The rest of the spots - G, T, LB, TE, receiver and of course QB are still obvious needs.  Wouldn’t say we’re set at kicker either.  Again, JMO.  

Serious question, not trying to be facetious. 
I do not know. 

Can anyone sell Cosmi at 19 being the Best Player Available? Assuming Slater, Darrisaw, and Sewell being gone already....

i know the guy tested off the charts, but when I went to look at his film, he does not necessarily  jump off the page with his skill set. He isn’t overly ferocious run blocking, and his pass blocking seems adequate. They say he doesn’t have great technique. 

So is it more about, this guy is a tremendous athlete, we are gonna teach him how to play tackle at a higher level than this guy is clearly the BPA at 19?

Projection is obviously involved with the draft, and it’s subjective but I’m having a harder time than I thought I would with Cosmi at 19 in particular. 

just wondering peoples thoughts on Cosmi.

3 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

I agree with your point here, but more for what a top 5 LT rookie contract costs vs a top 5 LB rookie contract.  Not even close. So if they are both need positions, draft the most expensive blue chipper in the 1st. 

That being said; I don't watch a lot of college film/highlights, but that JOK reel was one of the most electrifying college player videos I have ever seen. That kid is awesome, and hits hard. It looked a bit like Sean Taylor. Or what you would get if you put ST at WLB and filmed the highlights, lol. They are about the same build, and I never worried about how hard ST would hit someone.

As far as Parsons goes, he grades out as the top overall talent, or near the top, in every LB comparison I've seen for 2021. And until today, I have continually asked this board why we, or any LB needy team, would pass on the top player for being semi-psycho or thuggish. But after this crap with Deshaun Watson, I see the error in that way of thinking.

In the late 80s, I got to hang out with Wilbur Marshall and the Dexter Manley once before a game at RFK. Somehow my army buddies and I won tickets to come in the stadium early and watch pre-game warm-ups from the sidelines. Almost the whole time we stood there, we spoke to Dex and Wilber. And as we were walking away I made the comment that Wilber reminded me a little of Francis (Psycho), from the movie 'Stripes', and that got everyone laughing about it. Looking back now, I know Wilber was getting in the 'zone' before the game. They were playing the 49ers, and he was getting ready to go sack Montana. But it always stuck with me that a MLB had to be a bit nasty and bad-ass like Wilbur. 

But I have been making the mistake all these years of comparing the legitimate on-field temperament of a quality man like Marshall, to illegitimate, punk-ass, college hazing, or down right thuggery from NFL and college nimrods. Weather Watson is guilty of it, or weather Parsons is guilty of it, it does not matter. Everyone's a liar anymore, and WE will never know the truth. You can't trust most people anymore, EVEN IF they are a judge, cop, senator, teacher or reverend. I only trust family and those I call friends. ES included!

My point is, character does matter. And folks with character won't be involved in this crap time after time. These aren't just one-offs. And it's quite possible that Watson has already damaged the Texans to the point that it will have a tremendous and long-lasting impact. Weather he's guilty or not. Sucks for them. But if we saw something similar in Parsons that could manifest into thuggish or abusive behavior off the field, we could lose him too. 

RR will do his due diligence. In that I trust. And I won't make the mistake of grouping destructive, psychotic or violent behavior with being just odd, weird or mysterious.

3 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Can anyone sell Cosmi at 19 being the Best Player Available? Assuming Slater, Darrisaw, and Sewell being gone already....

The depth of this draft makes it hard to convince any one a particular player is BPA unless a top name drops.

For Cosmi IMO he should be able to start immediately at RT and ha all the qualities to move to the left side with some NFL time under his belt. To get a starting T at 19 that is projected to only improve would make Cosmi at 19 not a reach.

4 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

The depth of this draft makes it hard to convince any one a particular player is BPA unless a top name drops.

For Cosmi IMO he should be able to start immediately at RT and ha all the qualities to move to the left side with some NFL time under his belt. To get a starting T at 19 that is projected to only improve would make Cosmi at 19 not a reach.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Yeah, I’m just looking at our options in a worse case scenario where the guys we’d like to be there aren’t. And we aren’t able to find a trade partner  So we have to select from:

Najee

Batemon

Farley

Barmore

Alijah Vera Tucker

Cosmi

Moering

Mayfield

Jenkins

Bolton

Melifonwu

its not really clear cut, and I understand I’m an amateur, But I think even for experts this selection wouldn’t be sure hearted. It’s tough. 

Archived