Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think he can go in the late 2nd-early 3rd depending though on his pro day.

I'm expecting great testing numbers, but even with just good numbers, he's got a clear edge in movement skills on the field.  There are times he just looks like he's the most athletic guy on the field.  Like...look at this...in the NFL he's not down there.  This isn't some, "I used to run track so I hurdled the guy and know the technique", this was a literal superman Vince Carter jumping high enough to clear the 7 foot French guy, I jumped over him moment.

You were on such a roll with Tremble but then stumble here on Jordan. :ols:  Just kidding.  To each their own.  I don't really see Vernon Davis as analogous to Brevin Jordan.  They are different types of cats.  I think the draft geek who compared Jordan to Jonnu Smith was on the money.  Davis was an amazing athletic freak who at his best big time stretched the field.

Yeah, I'm pretty adamant about Tremble, but I've got doubts about my scouting of Jordan.  Scheme fit is a must.  I also feel weird in that I don't really know much about Jonnu Smith.

Antonio was one of my guys last year before the draft.  Sometimes you have to extrapolate or try to do so based on a small sample.  Gibson was a big play-TD machine and his athleticism seemed obvious.  I think Tremble's athleticism jumps too -- my only caveat to that is sometimes TE's measurables can surprise more than most positions and in a good or bad way.  So I am super curious to see Tremble's pro day.  Antonion Gibson's 4.39 40 -- somewhat confirmed the perceived explosiveness.  Tremble is a different cat -- different drill but he looks athletic to me for a TE.  Will see though if that's really the case very soon. 

One of my big things with TE's/OL is how do they look while run blocking.  He displays high quality functional athleticism while run blocking.  You can scheme up open looks for blocking TE's, and if they're athletic you can start scheming them open further down the field instead of shallow.  Tremble's blocking and athleticism is going to let him be productive in the passing game with any competent NFL OC.  If he actually develops past that, he's a nightmare for defensive coordinators.

13 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You do IMO if he's a special athlete for the spot.  Maybe not the 2nd round but IMO the third.

As for whether he's a special athlete or not.  His pro day is about to tell.

It's a different story from Terry but what there is in common with it is this:  context matters.  I recall some arguing with me right through draft day against Terry citing his lack of production.  I argued back then considering context his production wasn't bad and showed promise and his measures and intangibles were outstanding.

I don't know yet about Tremble's measurables/intangibles.  But as far as production goes -- over 200 yards, and the best contested catch rate (a sick 80%) this year according to PFF among TEs is a good sign considering he wasn't featured in that offense.   He looks like he can move  and has above average agility for the TE spot.  For the TE spot measurables mean a great deal.  So for Tremble I think it depends on his pro day.  if its pedestrian I think he drops and justifably so.  If he does really well, I'd bet teams will be intrigued and justifably so.

I usually if anything enjoy going against the grain from mock drafters on players. But I am with Brugler, Miller, Jeremiah and the PFF draft guys on Tremble by agreeing with their thinking that he will be a better pro than college player.  With a key caveat, I want to see his pro day numbers before fully buying in.  

My take actually formulated because of that Matt Miller tweet. There are too many unknowns even if he is a special athlete for the spot for me. Not all great athletes make great football players, so it's a bigger gamble, especially when someone like Brevin Jordan comes with the college production as well. If Tremble only had 200 yards but has the best contested catch rate, that sample size is probably very small, that is a good statistic though. Don't get me wrong, I like him, but that early in the draft I'm hoping the team is looking for less risk. 

I'd start to consider him in the 4th round depending on what we've grabbed at that point, but I don't think he's a 2-3 round pick. 

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

LB Pete Werner

WR/TE Brevin Jordan

LB Zaven Collins

S Caden Sterns

RB Najee Harris

I only included guys that are semi realistic.

I would be tickled if this was our haul in the draft. Add a few late round WRs for depth, and we are a serious competitor!

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I'd start to consider him in the 4th round depending on what we've grabbed at that point, but I don't think he's a 2-3 round pick. 

If he has a good pro day, you could wait for him in the 4th but he unlikely will be there.  If he has a pedestrian pro day, I think he could fall there.  

6 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

YOne of my big things with TE's/OL is how do they look while run blocking.  He displays high quality functional athleticism while run blocking.  You can scheme up open looks for blocking TE's, and if they're athletic you can start scheming them open further down the field instead of shallow.  Tremble's blocking and athleticism is going to let him be productive in the passing game with any competent NFL OC.  If he actually develops past that, he's a nightmare for defensive coordinators.

What strikes me the most unique about Tremble is his 2nd level blocking.  That's rare.  I've watched my share of TEs in recent years but I can't recall a guy that motors like him 20-25 yards down the field to help RBs with breakaway runs. 

6 hours ago, RWJ said:

No Love for Hunter Long?  I think he fits our scheme quite well. 

I did a longish report on him 2 days ago on this thread.  Among the TE's I've watched, he's my 6th favorite TE.  I wouldn't hate it if they took him with our 2nd third round pick.  Like all of these TEs I am very curious about his pro day.  In my opinion: I like his length and catch radius.  Good pass catcher but not flawless.  Can stretch the field.  He's not really physical with the ball in his hands or as to contesting catches.   Decent blocker, not great.   I like him, don't love him.   To me he's a late third round-4th round talent.  Mocks seem to have him in the third.   If he's what's left at TE in the third, I'd be ok with that pick. 

I like Amari.  He's not my favorite slot type WR but he's among the guys I like in that next 2nd tier.    Just read the PFF write up on him.  RB?  He's a YAC guy and physical with the ball in his hands so I get the point but not so sure he's a RB.   But I get the point to an extent, he's similar to Brevin Jordan in a sense that he's a dangerous weapon in the flat with the ball in his hands.  Physical with the ball in his hand, breaks tackles. Has enough girth perhaps to avoid getting hurt like some players of his ilk tend to do.  With the glut of WRs in this draft, wouldn't surprise me if Rodgers is there in the 4th. 

Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 8.07.54 AM.png

I love that Rogers dad is an extremely well respected WR coach and the kid is an amazing route runner. I'm super high on him.

Felton, Tremble, Rogers feels realistic to me on day 2. Draft Collins in the first, trade for Mosley, sign Hooker, use the day 3 picks to target DBs and OL.

Kiper just posted his latest mock.

He has us taking Darisow.

His o-line (in terms of those being picked) are:

1). Sewell (Minny trades up for him at 9)

2). Slater (LAC at 13)

3). Darrisow (us at 19)

4). AVT (Bears at 20)

5). Eichenberg (KC at 31)

Stunner is that he has Jammin Davis to 17 to the Raiders!  Above JOK and Collins.  He clearly has intel and Davis must be a high riser (just like DJ has been saying).  He has Parsons going to Denver (via a trade down) to 14.

My five would be:

Liam Eichenberg. Most underrated T in the draft IMO

Jabril Cox. Beast. But would cost us our 2nd most likely.

Jamin Davis. Could be there with our early 3rd.

Jamie Newman. Most underrated QB in the draft IMO. 

Dyami Brown as my long term project at WR. Love the guys potential. And he is flying under the radar.

29 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Kiper just posted his latest mock.

He has us taking Darisow.

His o-line (in terms of those being picked) are:

1). Sewell (Minny trades up for him at 9)

2). Slater (LAC at 13)

3). Darrisow (us at 19)

4). AVT (Bears at 20)

5). Eichenberg (KC at 31)

Stunner is that he has Jammin Davis to 17 to the Raiders!  Above JOK and Collins.  He clearly has intel and Davis must be a high riser (just like DJ has been saying).  He has Parsons going to Denver (via a trade down) to 14.

Wow. I posted my list before seeing this. Davis in the first would shock me. He was a third round target for me. And I would definitely take Cox over Davis. 

9 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

My five would be:

Liam Eichenberg. Most underrated T in the draft IMO

Jabril Cox. Beast. But would cost us our 2nd most likely.

Jamin Davis. Could be there with our early 3rd.

Jamie Newman. Most underrated QB in the draft IMO. 

Dyami Brown as my long term project at WR. Love the guys potential. And he is flying under the radar.

Wow. I posted my list before seeing this. Davis in the first would shock me. He was a third round target for me. And I would definitely take Cox over Davis. 

Agree with bolded/underlined.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like Amari.  He's not my favorite slot type WR but he's among the guys I like in that next 2nd tier.    Just read the PFF write up on him.  RB?  He's a YAC guy and physical with the ball in his hands so I get the point but not so sure he's a RB.   But I get the point to an extent, he's similar to Brevin Jordan in a sense that he's a dangerous weapon in the flat with the ball in his hands.  Physical with the ball in his hand, breaks tackles. Has enough girth perhaps to avoid getting hurt like some players of his ilk tend to do.  With the glut of WRs in this draft, wouldn't surprise me if Rodgers is there in the 4th. 

Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 8.07.54 AM.png

Mark my words... Amari Rodgers is going to wind up being the WR steal of the draft.

1 minute ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Was Rondale Moore playing hurt in 2020?  Cause I didn't see the dynamic movement he's advertised with.

Yeah, PFF mentioned that during a podcast I was listening to last night. They believe it was a hamstring issue he was battling with that never healed properly - something along those lines.

From PFF (post FA holes for each team)

WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM: WR/TE, LB, OT

Washington entered free agency in dire need of receiving threats. Even with a top-25 receiver in terms of PFF grade on their hands — Terry McLaurin — in 2020, the team as a whole ranked dead last in receiving grade at the wide receiver and tight end positions. They picked up a dynamic WR in Curtis Samuel, who was actually teammates with McLaurin at Ohio State. Samuel had the best season of his NFL career in Joe Brady’s Carolina Panthers offense in 2020, posting a 77.0 PFF grade. He can win underneath, separate against single coverage when given the opportunity and — with the right quarterback — add value vertically with his speed.

Still, new quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick could use another pass-catching weapon for his arsenal. The good news is that this draft class is deep at wide receiver. Terrace Marshall Jr., Dyami Brown and Tylan Wallace would all make sense for Washington with their second-round selection.

PFF Mock:

*Trade 1.19 to CLE for 1.26 and 3.91

1.26: Zaven Collins, LB Tulsa

2.51: Jackson Carman, OT Clemson

3.74: Brevin Jordan, TE Miami

3.82: Amon-Ra St. Brown, WR USC

3.91: Davis Mills, QB Stanford

4.124: Shaun Wade, CB Ohio State

5.163: Jonathon Cooper, DE Ohio State

7.244: Brian Robinson, Jr., RB Alabama

7.236: JaCoby Stevens, S LSU

A- Overall. These are so hit or miss.

I have found that going BPA and having another 3rd round pick makes 'hitting' almost every position of need. If Darrisaw or another one of the top 15 players doesn't fall to 19 I would consider trading out for another 3rd if we could land one. That would put us in position to draft a LB at a BPA spot in the latter part of the 1st.

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I have found that going BPA and having another 3rd round pick makes 'hitting' almost every position of need. If Darrisaw or another one of the top 15 players doesn't fall to 19 I would consider trading out for another 3rd if we could land one. That would put us in position to draft a LB at a BPA spot in the latter part of the 1st.

I’m not sure there’s a first round LB outside of Zaven.

Archived