Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

I think NYG is out of the WR business.  With Galloday, Slayton, Sheppard, and Engram, its not a priority at 11.  They obviously need edge, but do they go Phillips at 11?  Maybe they go CB?  I could see them taking Farley since they are a team that tends to draft Size/Speed.

I'm hoping they are out of the offensive weapons business too.  If signing golladay leads them to pass on pitts, it'll be a good trade off in my eyes.

I was listening to a draft podcast and they had some draft analysts on to give their take on some of the top OT Here’s what the analysts thought:

Guy #1: 

Darrisaw (comp to Trent Williams, started as a freshmen, played hurt with foot/ankle during freshmen year showing toughness, very good run blocker in VT zone with athleticism to be great pass blocker)

Eichenberg (very technically sound, very solid player but may struggle against speed rushers)

Penei Sewell (Physical freak, great upside, bad footwork, doesn’t agree with the hype based on the film)

Slater and AVT evaluated as Guards

Guy #2

Penei Sewell 

Slater 

Eichenberg

Darrisaw (motor hot and cold, questioned toughness, got worked  during Liberty game by inferior players)

To me, if we want someone to sit and wait for a year to develop, this is the guy to grab. No idea where we should grab him, but I feel like we're kind of lucky in the sense that he was often injured, because that arm looks like a 1st round QB arm to me. If he can be had in the 2nd/3rd round, we should probably consider it. 

6 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I assume like last. No way they're going to put a room of execs and kids together knowing they're probably gonna be doing some celebrating.

Yikes

3 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

What I meant is that our coaches are strong, experienced, defensively oriented, and respected. Our defense is stacked and filled with great vocal leaders, workout warriors, and guys that lead by example. 

I doubt we draft rapey Lavar.

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

Look at JOK in coverage. I swear he’d be our 3rd best CB. I think he’s literally the twitchiest LB I’ve ever seen. 

And Collins looks so good. Just the natural size and fluidity and instincts. 

Thought that was going to be a filmroom episode dedicated to the JDR defense and how each LBer would fit in. That would have been great.

2 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Look at JOK in coverage. I swear he’d be our 3rd best CB. I think he’s literally the twitchiest LB I’ve ever seen. 

I've seen a lot of people saying we need to go after Zaven, but very few saying it should be JOK. To me (and I appreciate I'm no draft geek and not as informed as many on here) I feel like JOK would be the better pick to fill that spot.

Is it because people feel Zaven is a better player, or is it because people assume JOK will be gone at our pick?

I'd be interested to see someone a bit more clued up than me break down the strengths/weaknesses and the fit in DC.

Is a player like JOK actually going to last to #19. That kind of athletic ability will have teams drooling by draft day. Looks more than worthy of our first round selection through, I can buy into that one. Probably over Collins for me.

JOK, Collins, Parsons (character issue considerations). Davis, Cox day 2. We need to go after two LBs and solidify the D unit. Think of the added bonus of rookies deals for 4-5 years too, so that we can plough money into the DL.

Zaven Collins looks special.  He has size, speed, hands, and most important, IQ.  Can JOK be durable enough at LB at his size.  He's the size of a safety.  I don't know the intricacies of how to best utilize players so my take is very limited, but JOK's size concerns me.

5 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

It took awhile for me to warm up to JOK but I have and big time.   He's be a really good nickle player covering TEs in paricular.  My issue with it is with Collins playing SS (I presume), Curl assumes a similar role.  They had JOK in nickle a lot.  He's like a missle on the field -- reminds me of Chinn on that front.

I was listening to Jim Nagy talk up JOK in a podcast and then when asked about his fit here, he agreed he's probably redundant if the goal is to draft a player who fits a gaping need. 

Nagy said and have heard others say the same he played even lighter than his listed weight, probably around 200 punds.  I think pro day is big for him.  I presume he will try to put some weight on.  If he lets say gets up to 220 without losing speed then maybe he plays WLB?  If so, I'd feel better about the fit. 

JOK has some of the most elite closing speed you'll ever find and is a special hammer type of hitter. His size worries me.

Collins doesn't seem that aggressive, but is one of the smoothest LBers I've seen. The game looks easy for him and if every interview about him, didn't have people talking about how smart he is an how much he loves to play football, I'd be worried about him.

I'm all about Collins. At 6'4" 260lbs, drawing Urlacher and Sean Lee comparisons he is the exact type of guy this team has missed in the middle since IDK, Marshall? And I'd love to have that back. 

3 hours ago, UKskins said:

I've seen a lot of people saying we need to go after Zaven, but very few saying it should be JOK. To me (and I appreciate I'm no draft geek and not as informed as many on here) I feel like JOK would be the better pick to fill that spot.

Is it because people feel Zaven is a better player, or is it because people assume JOK will be gone at our pick?

I'd be interested to see someone a bit more clued up than me break down the strengths/weaknesses and the fit in DC.

Honestly they would both fit our defense. Either one would be a good pick, you can plug them into any scheme and they will probably flourish due to their coverage ability. 

I like Collins a hair more because I feel like he's a more rare athlete. He could legitimately be a 4.5 guy at 6-4 260. I also think he can be the commander of a defense, while I have some doubts JOK can do that. 

Both are good players, I like them both better than Parsons too. I feel like apart from his character concerns, he still isn't even close to their levels in coverage which is bad juju in the NFL these days. 

21 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

JOK has some of the most elite closing speed you'll ever find and is a special hammer type of hitter. His size worries me.

Collins doesn't seem that aggressive, but is one of the smoothest LBers I've seen. The game looks easy for him and if every interview about him, didn't have people talking about how smart he is an how much he loves to play football, I'd be worried about him.

I'm all about Collins. At 6'4" 260lbs, drawing Urlacher and Sean Lee comparisons he is the exact type of guy this team has missed in the middle since IDK, Marshall? And I'd love to have that back. 

I know its about drafting for BPA but sometimes need and BPA collide some.  And I trust Keim's read of the situation.   Sounds like TE in the draft is a given and probably high in the draft versus low in the draft.  LT, too.  And I'd guess MLB considering how they've approached FA.  If so the hard thing is puzzling it.

You'd think if you want a LT you'd do that one early:  Cosmi or Darrisaw.  2nd round -- best available LB?  Jamin Davis, Bolton, Cox, Browning?  3rd whoever is left at TE?  Hunter Long, maybe Tremble or Jordan are still left?

If they are really hot for TE they might have to do that in the 2nd before LB.

If they go Collins then they likely have to do that in the first and hope for a LT to fall to the late 2nd and get a TE in the third.

But right now I am guessing that's what they might be thinking.  And yeah it doesn't sound hardcore BPA but I think it could be close enough considering I think need and BPA at those spots likely converge somewhat neatly. 

3 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

SteveMcqueen, are we sure you are not Tony Pauline in disguise?  

He has Bateman ahead of Toney while still bringing up Rondale Moore.

Many have Bateman ahead of Toney.  Pauline is a big Leatherwood guy I know -- so that would be the big test.  :ols:

I listen to some of Pauline's podcasts especially as you get closer to the draft, his gossip can be on the money but not always. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I know its about drafting for BPA but sometimes need and BPA collide some.  And I trust Keim's read of the situation.   Sounds like TE in the draft is a given and probably high in the draft versus low in the draft.  LT, too.  And I'd guess MLB considering how they've approached FA.  If so the hard thing is puzzling it.

You'd think if you want a LT you'd do that one early:  Cosmi or Darrisaw.  2nd round -- best available LB?  Jamin Davis, Bolton, Cox, Browning?  3rd whoever is left at TE?  Hunter Long, maybe Tremble or Jordan are still left?

If they are really hot for TE they might have to do that in the 2nd before LB.

If they go Collins then they likely have to do that in the first and hope for a LT to fall to the late 2nd and get a TE in the third.

But right now I am guessing that's what they might be thinking.  And yeah it doesn't sound hardcore BPA but I think it could be close enough considering I think need and BPA at those spots likely converge somewhat neatly. 

I'd put Cosmi ahead of Collins, but Collins ahead of Darrisaw I think. I'd say MLB and OT are equal as far as need, but OT getting added points for positional strength.

I don't think you pass on Jordan in the second round either. I think there's good chance that 2 of those 3 positions are our pick in the first two.

Keim has also said that we may trade down (if we can) and pick up 2022 draft ammo.

At this stage, my ideal draft would be:

19). Cosmi

51). Marshall (maybe he falls like fellow LSY WR Chark or DK)

74). Warner

82). Trimble

13 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'd put Cosmi ahead of Collins, but Collins ahead of Darrisaw I think. I'd say MLB and OT are equal as far as need, but OT getting added points for positional strength.

I don't think you pass on Jordan in the second round either. I think there's good chance that 2 of those 3 positions are our pick in the first two.

I am where you are mostly.    For Collins he's a bit of a projection so he's one of those type of players that I'd be really excited if they take him specifically because that clearly would be that they are jazzed about him and with Del Rio and Rivera both being LBs you'd figure they know their stuff.

This is the first time in years I can ever recall all this noise about how they want a TE.  Like you, I get going about that spot.  I went through just about every TE prospect before the last two drafts and it felt in retrospect like a waste of time.

Ironically, I haven't dove as deep this time because I figured with Logan Thomas they might not see a 2nd TE as that much of a need.  But apparently they do.  And apparently Turner big time wants to play with more 12 personnel than last year.  According to Keim they swung hard for one of the top TEs in FA, he doesn't know which one, I'd guess Junno?  And him saying they like guys at TE in the draft, and we know they interviewed Jordan and Tremble -- all of which has gotten my jazzed about the spot.   Also Rivera pretty much telegraphed after the draft that they were going to take Trautman but he was taken right before our pick.  So now I'll dive in further.

On first blush this TE group doesn't look as deep as last year.  Last year wasn't top heavy with talent but arguably there was a bunch of guys with similar abilities.  A lot of C plus type players IMO last year.    This year though I like the top end of the draft better than last year, not so sure though about the depth.  Considering where the TEs went last year in many cases higher than the mocks expected.  I think there is a decent chance Brevin Jordan, Tremble and Freiermuth are all gone by our third round pick.  I suspect Hunter Long is still there. I like Long but not as much as the other three. 

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am where you are mostly.    For Collins he's a bit of a projection so he's one of those type of players that I'd be really excited if they take him specifically because that clearly would be that they are jazzed about him and with Del Rio and Rivera both being LBs you'd figure they know their stuff.

This is the first time in years I can ever recall all this noise about how they want a TE.  Like you, I get going about that spot.  I went through just about every TE prospect before the last two drafts and it felt in retrospect like a waste of time.

Ironically, I haven't dove as deep this time because I figured with Logan Thomas they might not see a 2nd TE as that much of a need.  But apparently they do.  And apparently Turner big time wants to play with more 12 personnel than last year.  According to Keim they swung hard for one of the top TEs in FA, he doesn't know which one, I'd guess Junno?  And him saying they like guys at TE in the draft, and we know they interviewed Jordan and Tremble -- all of which has gotten my jazzed about the spot.   Also Rivera pretty much telegraphed after the draft that they were going to take Trautman but he was taken right before our pick.  So now I'll dive in further.

On first blush this TE group doesn't look as deep as last year.  Last year wasn't top heavy with talent but arguably there was a bunch of guys with similar abilities.  A lot of C plus type players IMO last year.    This year though I like the top end of the draft better than last year, not so sure though about the depth.  Considering where the TEs went last year in many cases higher than the mocks expected.  I think there is a decent chance Brevin Jordan, Tremble and Freiermuth are all gone by our third round pick.  I suspect Hunter Long is still there. I like Long but not as much as the other three. 

I'm really excited that we're taking TE seriously, finally too. I'm excited about LBer and FS too. Those are three positions I've wanted for as long as I can remember.

21 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

Call me crazy, but I'm okay with Lucas + Charles + Christian/Sharpe.

Not okay with having only Holcomb at LB. Yes, there's Mayo. 

You're crazy :) 

OT is IMO still a significant weakness for the WFT and I would not be comfortable just yet. I've little doubt we will be addressing both OT & LB positions soon in the draft.

30 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

You're crazy :) 

OT is IMO still a significant weakness for the WFT and I would not be comfortable just yet. I've little doubt we will be addressing both OT & LB positions soon in the draft.

🥲

The Fitzmagic has something to do with it. He's tough, has a low sack % and generally makes quick decisions. 

Tired of making it easy for QBs. Better LBs and a legit FS are big time needs (with Curl and WJ3 solidifying the other traditionally gaping holes) that simply cannot go unaddressed headed into the draft. 

At least at LT you have:

- Lucas (PFF grade of 78.2 on 536 snaps)

- Christian, who probably doesn't figure it out

- Charles, who has some Trent physical traits and could be an answer

Not saying I'm okay leaving the current QBs out to dry, but making the defense truly elite is first priority. It's right there. 

Archived