Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

I know people haven’t written a lot about AVT but I think we could do a whole lot worse. We would have preseason/ camp to figure out whether we try him at LT or plug him in at RG. Then, we have flexibility if Scherrf refuses to sign a LTD. 2022 he slides in at LG (assuming he didn’t win the LT spot, which he might) and we let Scherrf walk and likely pick up a comp pick.

And if we do sign Scherrf, our Oline is positively stacked, one of the most athletic in the league, especially if Saadiq Charles ends up being a player at LT or RT.

20 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:
52 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Najee

Batemon

Farley

Barmore

Alijah Vera Tucker

Cosmi

Moering

Mayfield

Jenkins

Bolton

Melifonwu

Expand  

see that’s why for me it’s a little tough.  In that scenario I think there are 3 that stand out as the BPA and that’s Najee, Batemon, and Farley based on Talent, Production, and Upside.  There is the whole you don’t draft an RB in the first argument. WR is loaded why would you take one this high, and Farley sat out last year and injury concerns. Since positional value of LT is so high I can see the argument for Cosmi, but not the one for he’s the BPA.

AVT imo is a better player than Cosmi, but is more suited at G. Is a G in round 1, for us this year, a home run? Idk. 

Wonder which way the FO will go. OL is always safer and prob has a higher hit rate than WR. But in The spirit of BPA I think my pick would be Rashod Batemon.

8 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

see that’s why for me it’s a little tough.  In that scenario I think there are 3 that stand out as the BPA and that’s Najee, Batemon, and Farley based on Talent, Production, and Upside.  There is the whole you don’t draft an RB in the first argument. WR is loaded why would you take one this high, and Farley sat out last year and injury concerns. Since positional value of LT is so high I can see the argument for Cosmi, but not the one for he’s the BPA.

AVT imo is a better player than Cosmi, but is more suited at G. Is a G in round 1, for us this year, a home run? Idk. 

Wonder which way the FO will go. OL is always safer and prob has a higher hit rate than WR. But in The spirit of BPA I think my pick would be Rashod Batemon.

I like the thought process. If I had to pick between that list I’d pick Farley because he has a ridiculous upside. I think we could bring him along slowly also, as we have pretty decent depth at CB right now. A year from now, he could be starting as our CB2 with Fuller playing slot. However, of the list I think he’s the most likely to be gone.

I’m of the mindset to draft a RB almost every year but never in the first, and also to never pay a RB big money. In particular, I think Najee would be wasted in our offense. I think he’s a fantastic player though, and if we picked him I think we could do a lot of cool stuff and really punish teams with our ground game (and keep Gibson healthy)

1 hour ago, seantaylor=god said:

I know people haven’t written a lot about AVT but I think we could do a whole lot worse. We would have preseason/ camp to figure out whether we try him at LT or plug him in at RG. Then, we have flexibility if Scherrf refuses to sign a LTD. 2022 he slides in at LG (assuming he didn’t win the LT spot, which he might) and we let Scherrf walk and likely pick up a comp pick.

And if we do sign Scherrf, our Oline is positively stacked, one of the most athletic in the league, especially if Saadiq Charles ends up being a player at LT or RT.

AVT would be a terrible pick. No more guards in round 1 please.

I get that you are saying you want to try him at LT first to see if he makes it there but, if getting a LT is the goal, I don't know why you wouldn't take someone like Eichenberg who has better traits to play the position at the next level.

The draft, as important as it is, just amounts to a crap shoot with the exception of the very few no brainer talents available.  So the guru analysis is even less accurate following season with far less competition then ever before via Covid.  Debating is reduced to praying  while in a race.

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

How long does it take to scout a LS. 6 minutes?

Our last two ended up being the longest tenured players on the roster, so lets pump the brakes a minute. This is serious business.

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

We have no depth at corner. 

Got lots of back ups. lol

9 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Our last two ended up being the longest tenured players on the roster, so lets pump the brakes a minute. This is serious business.

Got lots of back ups. lol

"Hey you. Lemme see you snap the ball 10 yards. Perfect! How would you like to join the Football team??"

Do we even have back-ups? Who am I missing outside of Stroman?

4 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Just wondering peoples thoughts on Cosmi.

Cosmi is not a flawless prospect by any means, but IMO he does check off the vast majority of boxes teams are looking for and the Isaiah Wilson drama will only reinforce those fears/needs. Cosmi's football acumen and work ethic are reportedly great. He's not the kind of guy that's going to miss meetings and the like. Cosmi's upside is also tremendous IMO. I'm not locked into Cosmi by any means with the exception of LB and even JOK as good as he is. I'd go Cosmi there. But, I'd take Waddle and Bateman over Cosmi. I just could not resist the temptation of having either one on the field together with Scary Terry and Curtis. 

I happen to like Missouri OT Larry Borom a lot too and he may go undrafted so take my words with a huge grain of salt :)  

16 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

So we have to select from:

Najee

Batemon

Farley

Barmore

Alijah Vera Tucker

Cosmi

Moering

Mayfield

Jenkins

Bolton

Melifonwu

I believe they bring in a FS before the draft.

I think they take Zaven or JOK if available. There are too many WR's available to take one at 19. 

I say they go OL. AVT is my top graded of the group but I might go T with Cosmi or Jenkins.

On 3/20/2021 at 4:52 PM, DWinzit said:

@stevemcqueen1, I am down with many of your thoughts. Really big on Darrisaw and Cosmi.  I do get confused some by your thoughts on our current LB and TE status. I find both to higher in priority. Wondering if you could share your thoughts on how you would handle both positions.

I do recall you suggesting at one point for LB you would take McGrone in the 4th. Would he be the only move to improve the LB's?

For TE in the draft, Freirmuth and Jordan are second round worthy, third round value.  Yeboah 4th round worthy, fifth round value.  Possibly Tremble too due to age/speed.  Kylen Branson 5th round worthy, sixth round value.  Tre McKitty, Hunter Long, Quintin Morris sixth round worthy.  Noah Gray, Tony Poljan, Cary Angeline, John Bates seventh round worthy.

Might change some of that around after the prodays are done though.  If Tremble runs a low 4.5 or something crazy like that then I'll have to move him up.

For LBer I would also only pick one as BPA unless I had such a good first two days that I'm saturated at the BPA positions on day three.

Parsons off of draft board

Collins and JOK first round worthy, second round value for chasing it with JOK

Jamin Davis, Jabril Cox, and Joseph Assai second round worthy, third round value on Davis and Cox

McGrone fourth round worthy

Surratt, Werner, Bolton, Moses fifth round worthy

Browning fifth round worthy, sixth round value

Eifler, Britt, and Fisher seventh round worthy

Still have a handful of LBers to watch.

D

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

For TE in the draft, Freirmuth and Jordan are second round worthy, third round value.  Yeboah 4th round worthy, fifth round value.  Possibly Tremble too due to age/speed.  Kylen Branson 5th round worthy, sixth round value.  Tre McKitty, Hunter Long, Quintin Morris sixth round worthy.  Noah Gray, Tony Poljan, Cary Angeline, John Bates seventh round worthy.

Might change some of that around after the prodays are done though.  If Tremble runs a low 4.5 or something crazy like that then I'll have to move him up.

For LBer I would also only pick one as BPA unless I had such a good first two days that I'm saturated at the BPA positions on day three.

Parsons off of draft board

Collins and JOK first round worthy, second round value for chasing it with JOK

Jamin Davis, Jabril Cox, and Joseph Assai second round worthy, third round value on Davis and Cox

McGrone fourth round worthy

Surratt, Werner, Bolton, Moses fifth round worthy

Browning fifth round worthy, sixth round value

Eifler, Britt, and Fisher seventh round worthy

Still have a handful of LBers to watch.

Thanks for the breakdowns!

Do you feel a mid rounder for each position cover each for WFT like a Cox or McGrone and Yeboah, Bransen or McKitty in lets say the 3rd and 4th?

I feel at TE we might be but not too so comfortable with just a McGrone in the 4th for LB.

PFF mock, for a change I did their 2nd and third round.

I'd hate it if we took Davis Mills in the 2nd.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-three-round-nfl-mock-draft-zach-wilson-jets-san-francisco-49ers-justin-fields

ROUND 2

33. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS — S RICHIE GRANT, UCF

34. NEW YORK JETS — OT DILLON RADUNZ, NORTH DAKOTA STATE

35. ATLANTA FALCONS — EDGE JAELEN PHILLIPS, MIAMI (FLA.)

36. MIAMI DOLPHINS (FROM HOUSTON TEXANS) — RB JAVONTE WILLIAMS, NORTH CAROLINA

37. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES — EDGE RONNIE PERKINS, OKLAHOMA

38. CINCINNATI BENGALS — WR ELIJAH MOORE, OLE MISS

39. CAROLINA PANTHERS — S ELIJAH MOLDEN, WASHINGTON

40. DENVER BRONCOS — CB ASANTE SAMUEL JR., FLORIDA STATE

41. DETROIT LIONS — LB ZAVEN COLLINS, TULSA

42. NEW YORK GIANTS — EDGE JOSEPH OSSAI, TEXAS

43. ATLANTA FALCONS (FROM SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS) — IOL JALEN MAYFIELD, MICHIGAN

44. DALLAS COWBOYS — DT DAVIYON NIXON, IOWA

45. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS (FROM MINNESOTA VIKINGS) — IOL QUINN MEINERZ, WISCONSIN-WHITEWATER

46. DENVER BRONCOS (FROM NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS) — S JEVON HOLLAND, OREGON

47. LOS ANGELES CHARGERS — OT JACKSON CARMAN, CLEMSON

48. LAS VEGAS RAIDERS — OT ALEX LEATHERWOOD, ALABAMA

49. ARIZONA CARDINALS — CB KELVIN JOSEPH, KENTUCKY

50. MIAMI DOLPHINS — WR KADARIUS TONEY, FLORIDA

51. WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM — QB DAVIS MILLS, STANFORD

52. CHICAGO BEARS — WR TUTU ATWELL, LOUISVILLE

53. TENNESSEE TITANS — WR RONDALE MOORE, PURDUE

54. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS — OT LIAM EICHENBERG, NOTRE DAME

55. PITTSBURGH STEELERS — QB KYLE TRASK, FLORIDA

56. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS — IOL CREED HUMPHREY, OKLAHOMA

57. LOS ANGELES RAMS — LB JAMIN DAVIS, KENTUCKY

58. BALTIMORE RAVENS — EDGE JOE TRYON, WASHINGTON

59. CLEVELAND BROWNS — LB JABRIL COX, LSU

60. NEW ORLEANS SAINTS — TE PAT FREIERMUTH, PENN STATE

61. BUFFALO BILLS — RB TRAVIS ETIENNE, CLEMSON

62. GREEN BAY PACKERS — EDGE CARLOS BASHAM JR., WAKE FOREST

63. KANSAS CITY CHIEFS — CB TYSON CAMPBELL, GEORGIA

64. TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS — ED RASHAD WEAVER, PITTSBURGH

ROUND 3

65. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS — CB AARON ROBINSON, UCF

66. NEW YORK JETS — CB IFEATU MELIFONWU, SYRACUSE

67. HOUSTON TEXANS — WR TYLAN WALLACE, OKLAHOMA STATE

68. ATLANTA FALCONS — TE BREVIN JORDAN, MIAMI (FL)

69. CINCINNATI BENGALS — DI MILTON WILLIAMS, LOUISIANA TECH

70. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES — WR DYAMI BROWN, NORTH CAROLINA

71. DENVER BRONCOS — DI ALIM MCNEIL, NORTH CAROLINA STATE

72. DETROIT LIONS — CB ERIC STOKES, GEORGIA

73. CINCINNATI BENGALS (FROM CAROLINA PANTHERS) — OT JAMES HUDSON, CINCINNATI

74. WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM (FROM SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS) — LB NICK BOLTON, MISSOURI

75. DALLAS COWBOYS — S JAMIEN SHERWOOD, AUBURN

76. NEW YORK GIANTS — DI MARVIN WILSON, FLORIDA STATE

77. LOS ANGELES CHARGERS — CB PAULSON ADEBO, STANFORD

78. MINNESOTA VIKINGS — DI LEVI ONWUZURIKE, WASHINGTON

79. LAS VEGAS RAIDERS (FROM ARIZONA CARDINALS) — IOL DEONTE BROWN, ALABAMA

80. LAS VEGAS RAIDERS — DI TYLER SHELVIN, LSU

81. MIAMI DOLPHINS — IOL TREY SMITH, TENNESSEE

82. WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM — OT SPENCER BROWN, NORTHERN IOWA

83. CHICAGO BEARS — QB KELLEN MOND, TEXAS A&M

84. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES (FROM INDIANAPOLIS COLTS) — CB ROBERT ROCHELL, CENTRAL ARKANSAS

85. TENNESSEE TITANS — TE HUNTER LONG, BOSTON COLLEGE

86. NEW YORK JETS (FROM SEATTLE SEAHAWKS) — WR AMON-RA ST. BROWN, USC

87. PITTSBURGH STEELERS — LB DYLAN MOSES, ALABAMA

88. LOS ANGELES RAMS — IOL KENDRICK GREEN, ILLINOIS

89. CLEVELAND BROWNS — CB SHAKUR BROWN, MICHIGAN STATE

90. MINNESOTA VIKINGS (FROM BALTIMORE RAVENS) — IOL WYATT DAVIS, OHIO STATE

91. CLEVELAND BROWNS (FROM NEW ORLEANS SAINTS) — WR NICO COLLINS, MICHIGAN

92. GREEN BAY PACKERS — DT OSA ODIGHIZUWA, UCLA

93. BUFFALO BILLS — IOL BEN CLEVELAND, GEORGIA

94. KANSAS CITY CHIEFS —  ED JOSHUA KAINDOH, FLORIDA STATE

95. TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS — DI MARLON TUIPULOTO, USC

96. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS (COMPENSATORY SELECTION)— RB MICHAEL CARTER, NORTH CAROLINA

97. LOS ANGELES CHARGERS (COMPENSATORY SELECTION)— OT D’ANTE SMITH, ECU

98. NEW ORLEANS SAINTS (COMPENSATORY SELECTION)— S JAMAR JOHNSON, INDIANA

99. DALLAS COWBOYS (COMPENSATORY SELECTION)—  ED PAYTON TURNER, HOUSTON

100. TENNESSEE TITANS (COMPENSATORY SELECTION)— OT BRADY CHRISTENSEN, BYU

101. DETROIT LIONS (FROM LOS ANGELES RAMS; COMPENSATORY SELECTION)— S TALANOA HUFANGA, USC

102. SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS (SPECIAL COMPENSATORY SELECTION)— TE TOMMY TREMBLE, NOTRE DAME

103. LOS ANGELES RAMS (SPECIAL COMPENSATORY SELECTION)– DI TOMMY TOGIAI, OHIO STATE

104. BALTIMORE RAVENS (SPECIAL COMPENSATORY SELECTION)— S ANDRE CISCO, SYRACUSE

105. NEW ORLEANS SAINTS (SPECIAL COMPENSATORY SELECTION)— LB BARON BROWNING, OHIO STATE

On 3/21/2021 at 4:49 AM, UKskins said:

Is it because people feel Zaven is a better player, or is it because people assume JOK will be gone at our pick?

Upside.  Zaven is a unicorn and his upside is unique.  There are no 260 pound linebackers in the NFL that can run like him.  Josh Allen is the closest athletic comp I can think of, but he is an edge who pretty much settled into a DE role. The king sized linebackers are all thumper types like Bernardrick McKinney.  So Zaven, like Kyle Pitts and Najee Harris, is physically superior and as such has super high upside.

I'm a big JOK fan too though, but his size limits him in comparison to Zaven.  Small linebackers don't tend to go in the first round, even when their film is awesome, as past guys like Lavonte David and Bobby Wagner and Eric Kendricks and Myles Jack all demonstrated.  It's a testament to the way the position is changing that JOK is so widely considered a first rounder at his size, although I still think there is a chance he drops to the early second round based on precedent.

I like the potential of either one for us.  But I also think we can make do with far lesser talents than them at the position.  Bostic gave us 9 AV last season.  That is ridiculously good production for a small contract journeyman player.  We've got a Lamborghini defensive line and coaches who more or less specialize in the position.  I think we could teach and develop this position pretty much better than any other and turn fifth rounders like Hudson and Holcomb into good starters.  I'd be perfectly fine waiting until round four or five for an unpolished but fast prospect like McGrone or Surratt and getting them into the system to start developing.

28 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Thanks for the breakdowns!

Do you feel a mid rounder for each position cover each for WFT like a Cox or McGrone and Yeboah, Bransen or McKitty in lets say the 3rd and 4th?

I feel at TE we might be but not too so comfortable with just a McGrone in the 4th for LB.

I'd be totally comfortable with drafting McGrone in the 4th and Granson in the fifth and getting no other major additions at either positions beyond min contract types.  I'd add that I'm currently seeing Granson projected in the seventh, so he is a potential value option super late.  I think buying fair with him is the fifth.

Our linebacker situation isn't as bad as people are making it out to be. We ran one of the best defenses in the NFL last year with this same group.  We'll be fine running it back, and realistically, Holcomb and Hudson will get better.  Our young talent pipeline at LBer is solid.

TE is shaker for sure, but the draft is rarely a solution for quick fixes there.  Best to get some value prospects into the pipeline and start the development process.  That's what a guy like Granson represents to me.

I feel very good about our defensive side of the ball.  It is absolutely already championship caliber.  What I do not feel good about is the offense.  Beyond TE, our OL pipeline makes me nervous.  They overperformed last season and we did it without any young guys making any positive contributions.  Martin and Christian essentially busted and Ismael and Charles gave us nothing.  Scherff is on the tag and Moses is aging and our future outlook at the position group could be awful if we don't get better talent in the pipeline.

And the skill talent, even after adding Samuel, is still dreadful.  All of our receivers after the top two suck.  Gibson is nice but not a feature back and McKissic is the definition of replacement level.  This group needs a significant infusion of talent for us to field a championship caliber offense.

And quarterback is still the elephant in the room.

I must admit while the LB would be upgraded with Hudson, Mayo and McGrone, I question how much. Hudson is still considered a bit of an unknown, McGrone really need a year and Mayo, eh. IMO LB was by far the weak link not only to the D but to the team, even the turmoil and change at QB was better. Bostic had good numbers but often he and Holcombs hits and tackles were late. Their instinct, twitch and speed were underwhelming. If they make no other FA move and do not take a LB in the first I would expect them to use the 2nd on one.

No arguments on this team needing another WR, TE and RB along with the OL needing a youthful talent infusion. It has been forever since they took top round OL and seem to have reached and maybe missed on many mid rounders, I still hold hope on Charles and Ismael. 

The deep WR class should make adding another weapon easy. Most of the  board is on the Brevin/Freiermuth bandwagon but that will take hope one survives to 51. I don't see that happening but definitely grabbing one in the mid round is a must.

WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM: WR/TE, LB, OT

Washington entered free agency in dire need of receiving threats. Even with a top-25 receiver in terms of PFF grade on their hands — Terry McLaurin — in 2020, the team as a whole ranked dead last in receiving grade at the wide receiver and tight end positions. They picked up a dynamic WR in Curtis Samuel, who was actually teammates with McLaurin at Ohio State. Samuel had the best season of his NFL career in Joe Brady’s Carolina Panthers offense in 2020, posting a 77.0 PFF grade. He can win underneath, separate against single coverage when given the opportunity and — with the right quarterback — add value vertically with his speed.

Still, new quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick could use another pass-catching weapon for his arsenal. The good news is that this draft class is deep at wide receiver. Terrace Marshall Jr., Dyami Brown and Tylan Wallace would all make sense for Washington with their second-round selection.

To PFF's point above about WR.  Was listening to Keim's last podcast last night.  He said that WR still in play in the draft.  And he mentioned slot WR could still be in play in the draft because Samuel might be used as a movable chess piece, outside, inside, stacked next Terry, etc. 

Sounds like they want to get another playmaker at both TE and WR. 

Archived