Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Been awhile since I messed around with a mock

Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 8.59.42 PM.png

I’d be pretty happy with Moses at 124. He started to play better towards the end of the season after he worked some rust off. He has the talent.

Just watched Tutu Atwell.   He's just pure speed and he accelerates fast.  Stop and go.   His hands look good -- not great.    Hits me as a gadget-backfield type player and deep threat.

My issue with him is he looks like a dude who benches like 150 pounds.  He's short and scrawny.  Looks like a dude who would be split in two if he got slammed by a hard hitting strong safety.   Not sure how easily he'd hold up in the NFL.   I'd think you'd have to pick your spots. 

Watching NFL Network's draft special.  Bucky Brooks predicting 7 O lineman going in the first, Zierlein predicted 6.  If that happens wouldn't shock me if another 3-4 O lineman go early in the 2nd.

I think we likely got to take the left tackle in the first.  Not that I needed to hear Brooks to say it.  It's intuitive IMO.  Tackles tend to go early.

They had Devonta Smith drop all the way to our pick at 19.   Now if that happened I might rethink the LT drill.  But I doubt it happens. 

26 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Watching NFL Network's draft special.  Bucky Brooks predicting 7 O lineman going in the first, Zierlein predicted 6.  If that happens wouldn't shock me if another 3-4 O lineman go early in the 2nd.

I think we likely got to take the left tackle in the first.  Not that I needed to hear Brooks to say it.  It's intuitive IMO.  Tackles tend to go early.

They had Devonta Smith drop all the way to our pick at 19.   Now if that happened I might rethink the LT drill.  But I doubt it happens. 

SIP I have concerns with his size.  He was listed at 170lbs.  That's not big.  Great pure WR but he needs to add some meat to them bones, so to speak.  :)  Right now his size, weight may be an issue.  Don't you think?

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I watched it he looked ok.  Seems to have a little stomach -- some commented about it on twitter.   

That's horrible.  He needs to get himself in shape and that has been spoken about by the NFL beat reporters, those covering the draft and the fans.  SMH.  My only concerns about him.

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I want to trade our first to a team that wants to move up this year, for a first next year in case we need to move up. Pick up a second, third this year.

After that it's Pitts, Harris, Collins in that order.

I like this, but just want to be sure. So we would end up with a first next year, but also a 2nd and 3rd this year? If so, count me in.

48 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just watched Tutu Atwell.   He's just pure speed and he accelerates fast.  Stop and go.   His hands look good -- not great.    Hits me as a gadget-backfield type player and deep threat.

My issue with him is he looks like a dude who benches like 150 pounds.  He's short and scrawny.  Looks like a dude who would be split in two if he got slammed by a hard hitting strong safety.   Not sure how easily he'd hold up in the NFL.   I'd think you'd have to pick your spots. 

You gotta catch him first! He’s been hearing that all his life. Same for Davonta, all they’ve done is ball. All I’m saying is I wouldn't bet against them. There seems to be a bunch of these smaller players this year. 

He’s a 4 year starter at QB from Miami Northwestern played against really good competition, the best of the best. 

If we bypass WR in the first few rounds I can see snagging him in the 4th or 5th, as a slot/returner with speed.  I’m not advocating for it, but like I said I wouldn’t bet against this kid. He’s tough as nails and a survivor. 

For some reason I’ve been hung up on worst case scenario in Rd 1 for the WFT.  By that, I mean worst case for this FO, not us as fans.  Like the tackles all going early, all the qbs (that they like) gone, top LBs gone (maybe Parsons drops, but they don’t want him), etc.

Factor in the likelihood they don’t want to go for a back early (though Hurney has a track record there) or corners.  We’re also almost certainly avoiding DL in the 1st.

So what’s your worst case for them?

(Good news is that we ought to be more likely to have trade partners if some of these guys drop unexpectedly and we don’t want them... maybe)

36 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

worst case WFT gets one of the top 20 players in this draft. 

Or are you asking about a specific position?

either way, certainly nothing to be concerned about. 

Team is gonna be in great shape. I havent felt this way in awhile, either. 

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

For some reason I’ve been hung up on worst case scenario in Rd 1 for the WFT.  By that, I mean worst case for this FO, not us as fans.  Like the tackles all going early, all the qbs (that they like) gone, top LBs gone (maybe Parsons drops, but they don’t want him), etc.

Factor in the likelihood they don’t want to go for a back early (though Hurney has a track record there) or corners.  We’re also almost certainly avoiding DL in the 1st.

(Good news is that we ought to be more likely to have trade partners if some of these guys drop unexpectedly and we don’t want them... maybe)

Trading down is our best option imo. 

But I think in the worst case we pick Zaven Collins. I have a hard time seeing him go before our pick, you never know, it would be a heartbreaker.

Although for many of us on this board he's a no brainer, outside of the tackles, lots of sites have him below to well below our pick..

Jeremiah has him at 24. PFN has him at 34. cbs has him at 28, espn 23....So if all else fails, he's my guy.

He may be my guy regardless of who is there outside of someone super falling.

Could be one of the "other" tackles too I guess...those projected to go around or after 19. Like a AVT, Teven Jenkins, Mayfield, Cosmi...

Whats concerning about some of these tackles at the end of round one is that few of them seemed destined to be LT's in the league.

RT's yes, but should we pass over another position for an RT? I guess it would depend how the OL coach sees them.

People are split as to AVT at LT, same for Jenkins, Mayfield is only RT, Cosmi isn't listed as a top 50 player for Jeremiah, he's 25th on PFN, 56th on cbs, 84th on espn.

That's quite a variance and leans towards not being worth the 19th pick. 

But who the heck knows, we shall see how the FO views it soon. 

Super fallback option is to go RB, who have the strongest claim as BPA talent and production wise imo at that spot.

But we know how people feel about picking an RB in round 1. Not expecting this at all.

You have also the CB wildcard. Farley may fall due to his back procedure. And you are talking about a guy that Jeremiah has at #5 overall, cbs has at 11 and pfn has at 10. Also have Horn & Surtain. All really good talents, who would be hard to pass up.

The ghost of Micah looms large if people start to pass on him, would we dare take him? It's gonna be interesting. 

And the Super Super wildcard is how they feel about Moehrig..

hes rated 16th by dj, 15 by espn, 25th by cbs, 30th pfn....

If our Defensive coaches feel like he can unlock this D, don't be shocked.

We should be good no matter what though.

Personally, I'm gonna try and not get caught up in expectations and be open to what they do, because the situation is fluid.

I understand the logic behind the positional value LT pick in round 1

But even though high end tackles are rare, there are usually a few to choose from throughout the first round in most drafts.

I Dont think there are a few zaven collins type guys to choose from in this draft or many others

The size is DE, the speed is coverage LB, the hips are CB and the intangibles are Franchise QB.

What does that make his  true ceiling?  HOF centerpiece to the greatest defense in NFL history, thats what.

Try to find that in an LT this year.   

The defense thrived on the batted ball this year. There is just so much athleticism and length in the front 4 its a nightmare to get passes off.   Add Zaven to the middle of that with his length and agility and you have something synergistic and special brewing. 

i can feel it coming

1 hour ago, illone said:

worst case WFT gets one of the top 20 players in this draft. 

Or are you asking about a specific position?

either way, certainly nothing to be concerned about. 

Team is gonna be in great shape. I havent felt this way in awhile, either. 

I meant worst case in terms of the players selected before our pick (or available to us at 19).

Agree with the sentiment, just wondering about how the FO would feel.  Not sure I agree that we’ll get a top 20 player (though I suppose you could say that technically we’ll wind up with the 19th best player, :)), and that’s kind of my point.

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He ain't ****.  The team that drafts him within the first two days thinks they're getting that whole Alabama offense with him apparently.

Nice take. You definitely have to have conviction when it comes to QB, I agree there.

I personally would not presume to know, I have a tough time with QB's to say one way or the other.  

He's accurate, I'll give him that, and he will have a ton of talent to throw to at the NFL level too.

But I do get the sense he will fall, wonder how far.. your thought came through clear though. lol. 

I wonder how the FO feels about him.

45 minutes ago, CurseReversed said:

I understand the logic behind the positional value LT pick in round 1

But even though high end tackles are rare, there are usually a few to choose from throughout the first round in most drafts.

I Dont think there are a few zaven collins type guys to choose from in this draft or many others

The size is DE, the speed is coverage LB, the hips are CB and the intangibles are Franchise QB.

What does that make his  true ceiling?  HOF centerpiece to the greatest defense in NFL history, thats what.

Try to find that in an LT this year.   

The defense thrived on the batted ball this year. There is just so much athleticism and length in the front 4 its a nightmare to get passes off.   Add Zaven to the middle of that with his length and agility and you have something synergistic and special brewing. 

i can feel it coming

The only position we should be consideing round 1 is QB

9 hours ago, Fresh8686 said:

Wow Spencer Brown. He might be one of the first OT taken with upside like this. 

He was one of Feldman's top freaks going into the year.  That's what put me onto him.  His film has a lot of man among boys highlights in it, and the game comes easily to him.  He seems like a bit of a goof.

He was the guy that made me feel OK about passing on OT early because I figured he'd be there in the 70s, but that dude is going in the first 40 picks or so.  He's an immensely better athlete than Mayfield and Carman and Jenkins.  Better athlete than Radunz too.

31 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Nice take. You definitely have to have conviction when it comes to QB, I agree there.

I personally would not presume to know, I have a tough time with QB's to say one way or the other.  

He's accurate, I'll give him that, and he will have a ton of talent to throw to at the NFL level too.

But I do get the sense he will fall, wonder how far.. your thought came through clear though. lol. 

I wonder how the FO feels about him.

His accuracy isn't special.  He just threw to elite targets that provided forgiving windows.

He was excellent managing that offense and navigating sparkling pockets and utilizing his elite personnel but he's a guy with below average athletic traits who went entire games without making any impressive throws.  Games where he threw for 4+ TDs without sticking a single tough NFL window throw.  That kid was the seventh best player on his offense--at best.  That's not an exaggeration, Najee and Devonta were arguably the two best players in CFB this season, Waddle and Leatherwood are five stars who are going to get picked early, and Evan Neal is a future top ten pick.  They absolutely overwhelmed everyone this year.  That offense isn't coming with Mac Jones to the NFL.  He's not going to fall, he's going to be wildly overdrafted.

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

His accuracy isn't special.  He just threw to elite targets that provided forgiving windows.

He was excellent managing that offense and navigating sparkling pockets and utilizing his elite personnel but he's a guy with below average athletic traits who went entire games without making any impressive throws.  Games where he threw for 4+ TDs without sticking a single tough NFL window throw.  That kid was the seventh best player on his offense--at best.  That's not an exaggeration, Najee and Devonta were arguably the two best players in CFB this season, Waddle and Leatherwood are five stars who are going to get picked early, and Evan Neal is a future top ten pick.  They absolutely overwhelmed everyone this year.  That offense isn't coming with Mac Jones to the NFL.  He's not going to fall, he's going to be wildly overdrafted.

Well, his NFL career will speak for itself.  He's good; he's good.  He's bad; he's bad.   I think he'll have a good NFL career.

Forgot about Dickerson, who was only the best center in CFB this year.  ****, Deonte Brown was probably better than him too.  So he was maybe the ninth best player on his offense.

We've killed Ohio State QBs for their supporting casts in the past, but no college QB has ever had a better supporting cast than Mac Jones had this year.  Not even Burrow last season.  It was a panoply of elite players throughout the offense.  He played the season on easy mode and his highlight reel of truly impressive plays has like five on it.

24 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I hear you. But....Do you think he can have success In the NFL with the right team?

The two can exist right? He came from a stacked team where he was the 9th best player and he can have success in the NFL.

So you stay away from this guy like Kryptonite even in the second round? If it’s the first we are making a colossal mistake?
I have a feeling he could be there when we pick at 19. 

I ask to hear more of your thoughts on him and because I dont know, not trying to defend him. 

OT looks like a clear need to most of us, I just have a feeling RR will like Lucas at LT. they think he’s way more than solid. A veteran OL based on what we currently have under contract looks like the starting groups to me.

An early run in numerous QBs and OTs is going to push some talent down that draft board. I think we are going to look for that day 1 x-factor/impact player on either side of the ball at #19.

3 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

But I think in the worst case we pick Zaven Collins.

I’m in the minority here but I’m not quite seeing it with Collins. Looks like a 3-4 OLB candidate to me. I see a more athletic version of Ryan Anderson......:bye:

Archived