Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

Hypothetically...

Would you trade #19+ two 3rd rounders to get Kyle Pitts? (I'm assuming that he's available at Carolina/Denver at 8 or 9)?

I think Pitts is AWESOME and a true unicorn.  

I would not discount that. It would depend on free agency for me, nail that and open up the draft.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My favorite mid level player at QB.  He's has size, some mobility.  I like raw talents everything being equal.  He would fit that.  The Senior Bowl should be especially interesting for him since he didn't play this season. 

A few of the videos I saw, his footwork was terrible, and he made several really poor decisions. He also has a character concern with his opt out. But his physical traits are intriguing.

2 hours ago, seantaylor=god said:

What do you all think of Jamie Newman as our mid round  QB to develop next year? He seems like a nice player and has some running ability (powerful and fast although but not super quick) which Turner seems to value.

I'm not sure his decision to not play football this year fits into Ron's stated views of wanting guys that love to play.

"I want guys that love playing professional football on this team, not guys that love being professional football players.”

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

A few of the videos I saw, his footwork was terrible, and he made several really poor decisions. He also has a character concern with his opt out. But his physical traits are intriguing.

Shane.

Shane Buechele.

I posted this in another thread but belongs here, too

Just caught Mike Renner on a recent radio appearance podcast, who is one the more known guys from PFF talk about our team.  His points:

A.  He'd have an all hands on deck approach at QB if he were running this team.  He goes the defense is too good to waste it on mediocre Qb play which will keep the team into purgatory.  He'd be very aggressive to address it and would be willing to trade picks including next year's #1 to do it. 

B.  Asked what he'd do at 19, he said he'd trade up into the top 10 to get one of the top 4 QBs.   He's less interested in veterans because he doesn't think the market ends up hot.

C.  He talked some about Lance.  He's not sold on his accuracy but he finds his running ability and raw talent make him intriguing. 

D.  He thinks Mac Jones belongs somewhere in the teens/early 20s in the draft.  Their metrics show his ball placement/timing is really good.  But they see his arm talent as ordinary and don't love the fact that he lacks mobility.  

E.  He's not super intrigued about Heinicke because he doesn't see enough arm talent/measurables where he'd bank on him as the guy.  But he'd keep him around.  But not as the #1 starter.

F.  They clearly aren't fans of Darnold.  He thinks the Jets would be nuts not to trade Darnold. 

39 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Shane.

Shane Buechele.

you like his tools over Newman?

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

It's been awhile since I watched him.  I recall liking his arm and mobility.  But if he were great, I'd be talking about him with out 19th pick.  I think especially with QBs going later in the draft, its about tools.   If they have tools and they are also polished, they'd be going top 5.      I watched him months ago I'll rewatch him again soon but just in general all the 3rd round or lower QBs will have issues.  Question is can they be fixed?  But I don't recall that deeply why I liked his tools, I'll rewatch him soon.  The Senior Bowl might help him swim or sink.  Will see. 

23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Question is can they be fixed?  But I don't recall that deeply why I liked his tools, I'll rewatch him soon.  The Senior Bowl might help him swim or sink.  Will see. 

Agree. It'll boil down to work ethic. Someone else posted something about whether Rivera will be interested in him--loving football vs. being a football player. He'll be one of the most interesting players at the Senior Bowl.

@kdawg what round do you take Buechle?

4 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Agree. It'll boil down to work ethic. Someone else posted something about whether Rivera will be interested in him--loving football vs. being a football player. He'll be one of the most interesting players at the Senior Bowl.

@kdawg what round do you take Buechle?

3, 4ish. I don’t know what value the league is putting on him. If it’s later and we can get him later - perfect.

https://riggosrag.com/2021/01/16/why-the-washington-football-team-should-not-draft-mac-jones/

Why the Washington Football Team should not draft Mac Jones

The Washington Football Team has a quarterback question to answer, but Mac Jones shouldn’t be considered. Here’s why.

On September 19, 2018, in a game against Louisiana-Lafayette, Alabama quarterback Mac Jones hit Jaylen Waddle for a 94-yard touchdown pass, the second-longest scoring pass in Alabama’s history, and it’s beautiful to behold. It may seem odd, but this is my exhibit No. 1 in why the Washington Football Team should not select Jones in the first round of the upcoming NFL draft.

But first, let me make clear that I do not think Jones is a bad quarterback. The play to Waddle shows off two things he does very well. He makes quick decisions and he makes accurate throws. Those are genuine assets for any would-be NFL QB.

Coming into this season, in what looked to be a year jam-packed with enticing college quarterbacks, Jones was considered by most to be a mid-round prospect. His stock has risen steadily throughout the year as he presided over one of the greatest offenses the college game has ever witnessed.

And with dominant performances in his final two games, Jones’ stock has never been higher. There’s a very good chance at this point that he will not even be on the board by the time the Washington Football Team makes its pick at No. 19.

Click on the link for more

Not even advocating for Mac Jones. But I’m entirely over people talking about arm strength. How many Of the best qb’s of all time do we have to see that lack elite arm talent before we wise up to the fact that it pales in comparison to intelligence in terms of in game knowledge, reading a defense and knowing how to navigate a pocket and still find their guys. At this point, arm strength is relatively low on my list compared to those things. 

19 minutes ago, moondog said:

Not even advocating for Mac Jones. But I’m entirely over people talking about arm strength. How many Of the best qb’s of all time do we have to see that lack elite arm talent before we wise up to the fact that it pales in comparison to intelligence in terms of in game knowledge, reading a defense and knowing how to navigate a pocket and still find their guys. At this point, arm strength is relatively low on my list compared to those things. 

How many top qbs today have limited arm strength? Yes, you can have a cannon arm and still suck--because you need to have all those things you mentioned too. But, the truly elite qbs today all have strong arms. 

didn't wow teams with his arm strength or athleticism. In fact, his 5.24-second 40-time was pretty awful. 
--Poor build
--Skinny 
--Lacks great physical stature and strength
--Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush 
--Lacks a really strong arm
--Can’t drive the ball downfield
--Does not throw a really tight spiral
--System-type player who can get exposed if forced to ad lib
--Gets knocked down easily

Tom Brady

50 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Tony Pauline just updated his big board...

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-draft-prospects-2021-updated-big-board-player-rankings/

One thing about Pauline, he goes out on a limb.  He's got Rondale Moore at 10 overall!

Wow he does have a few surprises.

Dylan Moses at 9....I think he was smoking something funky there. I may have been inclined to put him there at the beginning of the year but he didn't have a great 2020. (yes , some may be attributed to still recouping from the knee but still)

Has Zaven at 12 sadly.

Wyatt Davis at 15. Has there been any news on this poor guys knee injury? If its like it looked like he not getting drafted on day one

Jabril Cox back to 86.I like that one!

13 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Hypothetically...

Would you trade #19+ two 3rd rounders to get Kyle Pitts? (I'm assuming that he's available at Carolina/Denver at 8 or 9)?

I think Pitts is AWESOME and a true unicorn.  

No. I'd probably be ok with taking him if he falls to 19. He's extremely talented but IMO he's not a Kelce, Gronk, Kittle level TE. Those guys are phenomenal pass catchers AND they're great blockers. From what I've seen when I've watched him play and in his cutups, Pitts is a pretty terrible blocker. He also has a very slight frame for a TE at 6'6 240.

He's basically a big WR and whoever draft him is going to need to play him that way. If they try to force him to gain weight and fit him into a Gronk or Kelce role, he's not going to flourish in my opinion. 

6 hours ago, Stefanskins said:

didn't wow teams with his arm strength or athleticism. In fact, his 5.24-second 40-time was pretty awful. 
--Poor build
--Skinny 
--Lacks great physical stature and strength
--Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush 
--Lacks a really strong arm
--Can’t drive the ball downfield
--Does not throw a really tight spiral
--System-type player who can get exposed if forced to ad lib
--Gets knocked down easily

Tom Brady

"I saw a guy win the lottery once with a ticket from a store I've been into as well. Conclusion: That store gives out winning lottery tickets and I should focus my investments on buying lottery tickets from that store every day."

6 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Wonder if we could do a trade where we move down in the first and up in the second in order to get into range to draft Owusu-Koromoah/Eichenberg/Cosmi and Etienne with our first two picks?

Ala 2019. That's what I'm hoping for with Collins and Harris.

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

No. I'd probably be ok with taking him if he falls to 19. He's extremely talented but IMO he's not a Kelce, Gronk, Kittle level TE. Those guys are phenomenal pass catchers AND they're great blockers. From what I've seen when I've watched him play and in his cutups, Pitts is a pretty terrible blocker. He also has a very slight frame for a TE at 6'6 240.

He's basically a big WR and whoever draft him is going to need to play him that way. If they try to force him to gain weight and fit him into a Gronk or Kelce role, he's not going to flourish in my opinion. 

I think he'll add weight anyway, but he's not currently an inline blocker TE for sure. He's a willing blocker and wants to improve, which is a huge difference between Pitts and a Reed or Davis, who just ****ing hated being touched. I think Pitts can be used inline and will definitely be a Kelce, Kittle type, but a better pass catcher. His receiving game will be closer to Gonz or Gates though and with the way our offense like to do the quick hit game, a TE who can block well from way down the field, just helps everyone.

8 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Wonder if we could do a trade where we move down in the first and up in the second in order to get into range to draft Owusu-Koromoah/Eichenberg/Cosmi and Etienne with our first two picks?

There sure is a lot of fairly equal talent between the late first round to the middle of the second. You could go a lot of different ways with those picks and still possibly have the 2 3rds to upgrade more positions. Could walk away with at least LB, DB, OT, TE, RB, and WR in any order by the 4th round

They would still need to determine the QB position and not use selections in addressing it. 

I completely understood giving up a 5th for Allen. New staff wanting at least a somewhat experienced signal caller familiar with their system. I can not understand a year later giving up lets say a 4th for a player like Mariota. I don't see him being capable of elevating this team much.

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Ala 2019. That's what I'm hoping for with Collins and Harris.

I was actually thinking about it differently.  Move back from 19 and see if one of the decent OTs or Owusu Koromoah is still there in the late 20s.  Then use the capital you gain from that trade down to move up in the second round and get Etienne.  No future picks spent.

Archived