Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

I've been watching all of these ACC game cut ups, and one of the recurring themes of almost all of the games involving Clemson going back to 2018 is Travis Etienne just ripping off big play after big play against everyone.  He's the kid who just pops off the screen at you repeatedly even when you're watching for someone else.

Man I hope we can get him.  I know there are a lot of other strong backs in this class and that the position has low draft value, but he could absolutely transform our offense.  He's the greatest RB in ACC history.  If you get him and an OT like Darrisaw, then you give yourself a chance at running a good offense with a journeyman QB like Heinicke.

Zaven Collins could be an intriguing prospect for us.  I just watched sole tape on him.  He was dominant.  He just makes plays.  He runs a 4.8 40.  So, I think he would play mlb.  Or go for an OT like Darrisaw or even Leatherwood.

At any rate,, I am sure we can get someone really good  at 19.  

10 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My wife is a Giants fan so I've caught most of their games. He's unbelievably bad in critical moments in games.  He has his shares of drops but what makes him a punchline with some in the NY media is his drops seem to come at critical times in games.  He's Mr Unclutch.

My condolences on your wife's horrible taste in teams.

Living in an areas with overwhelming numbers of people with as poor taste (in teams) as your wife, I can vouch for that being their thoughts on Engrram. 

4 hours ago, bonhommelemec said:

Zaven Collins could be an intriguing prospect for us.  I just watched sole tape on him.  He was dominant.  He just makes plays.  He runs a 4.8 40.  So, I think he would play mlb.  Or go for an OT like Darrisaw or even Leatherwood.

At any rate,, I am sure we can get someone really good  at 19.  

Zaven has the eye of many of us. He is a freakish player who can play a multitude of positions

8 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Yeah I think it's Slater.  From a technique standpoint, he pretty much looks ready, and his speed is so good that it should help him recover when he does make mistakes.  The only thing that I think might hold him back is strength/size.  Maybe he'll need time to get stronger whereas Eichenberg is a RS Senior who has been in an elite program that probably has top notch strength coaching.  Eichenberg basically already has his NFL body, so he could translate fairly quickly too.

The other thing that suggests early competence with Slater is that he's probably going to get picked by a zone heavy team since they will rank him higher on their boards than other teams, and his run blocking will be quite good for that kind of scheme.  That's a big part of why I think he's such a natural fit for us in particular, if he's still on the board.  A better and more natural fit than Eichenberg plus he's just flat out more talented than Eichenberg is.

Looked to me like VT was a really zone heavy run game too and that Darrisaw would be a pretty natural fit in our run game too.  He checks a lot of the boxes for us and seems like a smart and natural pick at 19.

Shooting from the hip, my gut take is that Walker Little sucks and he is riding his recruiting hype into early round projections and that he probably should be a late day three pick or UDFA.  I watched some of his sophomore cutups heading into the 2019 season, expecting to see a stud, and was shocked that he looked bad.  Then he got seriously injured and missed almost all of last year, then he opted out of the 2020 season when he really needed to put some decent play on film.  BUT, he's getting early round grading from a lot of places, so I'm going to go back and try and find more of his cut ups to see why.  I'm going to keep an open mind with him for now.

I also was a little disappointed when I watched a cut up of Brady Christiensen.  Just one game, but I thought he'd look better since he was an AP All American.  I'm going to keep an open mind on him too.

EDIT: Wanted to add that I was also shocked at how bad Trey Adams looked when I went over his 2018 cut ups around the same time as Walker Little.  That was back when he was getting widespread projection as a first rounder.  Then he pretty much self-combusted and my gut that his film was late round to UDFA quality ended up being prescient.  So I'm not going to talk myself into Little if his cut ups are as bad as I remember.

Slater's floor seems to be Minnesota IMO (I think he's long gone before hand).  They run that Kubiak zone-scheme.  Rieff is near the end.  

40 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

My condolences on your wife's horrible taste in teams.

Living in an areas with overwhelming numbers of people with as poor taste (in teams) as your wife, I can vouch for that being their thoughts on Engrram. 

lol she has an excuse she's from NY.  As for in laws i have my share of Giants fans, some Jets.   So whether I like it or not, I've seen plenty of both (more so the Giants) play.  it's part of the reason why I am not a Darnold guy.  Yeah I know about his reputation at USC but he was turnover happy there and he's been turnover happy in NY -- his struggles are far from all on the fault of their supporting cast. 😀

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

lol she has an excuse she's from NY.  As for in laws i have my share of Giants fans, some Jets.   So whether I like it or not, I've seen plenty of both (more so the Giants) play.  it's part of the reason why I am not a Darnold guy.  Yeah I know about his reputation at USC but he was turnover happy there and he's been turnover happy in NY -- his struggles are far from all on the fault of their supporting cast. 😀

There are a few QBs I would not like us to get. Darnold and Tyrod Taylor are tops on that list. 

48 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd guess a 4th or 3rd, I'd trade it in 2 seconds to go get Pitts. 

It cost Jax and 2nd to go 15-10 with us to get Gabbert.  That’s why I was wondering.  I’d definitely toss in the SF 3rd to get him.  If the asking price is the 2nd, would you do it or hold steady?

2 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

Would you trade your first round pick at 19 plus McLauren to get Pitts?  If not, maybe re-think what that 3rd round pick really represents.

No. But after a couple years the draft position goes out the window. In a redraft you know he goes rd 1. I mean if you have a first rd bust after 2 years you don’t treat him like a 1st rounder anymore 

1 minute ago, Ball Security said:

It cost Jax and 2nd to go 15-10 with us to get Gabbert.  That’s why I was wondering.  I’d definitely toss in the SF 3rd to get him.  If the asking price is the 2nd, would you do it or hold steady?

Should cost more to me to move from 15-10 than it would 19-15. More premium pick 

5 minutes ago, Lovi said:

No. But after a couple years the draft position goes out the window. In a redraft you know he goes rd 1. I mean if you have a first rd bust after 2 years you don’t treat him like a 1st rounder anymore 

Should cost more to me to move from 15-10 than it would 19-15. More premium pick 

Sure.  But it also just cost us a future 2 (so a 3, really) to go from 34-26 in 2019.

20 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

Would you trade your first round pick at 19 plus McLauren to get Pitts?  If not, maybe re-think what that 3rd round pick really represents.

No but id trade Leonard Hankerson and the 19th for Pitts in a heartbeat. Sorry to break the news to you but you are not getting McLaurin in the 3rd in every draft. 

2 hours ago, PlayAction said:

How about never trade a 6th rounder because it could bring Tom Brady? 

Most third round picks are statisitically speaking busts (I've posted the stats on the success per round many times on this thread) let alone rock star level players.  McLaurin might be the best 3rd rounder we've ever drafted versus looking at that pick as business as usual.   Sometimes you get Cooley (ironically who they traded up for in the third) or a McLaurin. 

But you are more likely to get a dude like this among our 2000 3rds. 

Lloyd Harrison 

Rashad Bowman,

Cliff Russell

Chad Rinehart

Spencer Long

Kevin Barnes

Jeremy Jarmon (via supplemntal draft)

Josh LeRibieus,

Leonard Hankerson

Matt Jones

Geron Christian

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Lloyd Harrison 

Rashad Bowman,

Cliff Russell

Chad Rinehart

Spencer Long

Kevin Barnes

Josh LeRibieus,

Leonard Hankerson

Matt Jones

Geron Christian

After seeing that list I'm thinking maybe it would be better to just give the 3rd picks away and save the cap space...

Zach Wilson benefited significantly from Christensen being on the left side.

Christensen, to me, looks like “just one of those dudes”. He looks the part, athleticism falls short of what you are used to seeing nowadays though... but when it’s go time... he’s the nasty son of a **** you want in your corner that’s going to swing and keep swinging when someone starts some trouble. 

He has excellent grip and despite his lack of top end athleticism he knows how to position his body. 

Will he struggle against the Chase Young’s of the League? At times at first maybe. Good thing if we draft him he gets to see Young every day.

I’ll say this: I think Christensen is a guy that isn’t going to win the underwear Olympics but will show up every ****ing Sunday. I love the dude and want him as our LT.

4 hours ago, Lovi said:

My point is that you would not have been able to use that 3rd round pick on Mclauren.  We had the same issue with the Sweat trade - it was great in the draft but next year you knew what the team had given up in the trade.  

2 hours ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

After seeing that list I'm thinking maybe it would be better to just give the 3rd picks away and save the cap space...

If Vinny were still running the show, I would agree with you.  But if you have a quality scouting department you are going to pick up some good players with the draft picks in rounds 3-7.  Obviously you don't hit a home run with every one but the team isn't going to have as many busts as during the last 20 years.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Lloyd Harrison 

Rashad Bowman,

Cliff Russell

Chad Rinehart

Spencer Long

Kevin Barnes

Josh LeRibieus,

Leonard Hankerson

Matt Jones

Geron Christian

The Skins' front office was incompetent and a big reason why the team was one of the worst teams in the NFL for 20 years.  

2 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

That’s not really how it works 

You are giving up an actual player when you trade a draft pick.  When you give up that third round draft pick you should have an idea which players may be available in the 3rd round.  Sometimes higher rated players slip further than you expect.  You are giving up your rights to a quality player when you trade the draft pick.  Which one?  Which position?  You don't know but you expect that it's a quality player in the 3rd round. I'm not interested in counting the number of points for the 19th pick and the third round pick.  If the draft is deep at WR then you likely will have quality WRs available for selection in the 3rd round.  But you can't select them because you gave away the pick.  Does LT + WR = TE?  I think the GM has to mix and match likely scenarios to be sure that Pitts has higher value to the team than the combined value of the other two players that could be selected.

Archived