Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

7 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I can give that to you but he was not just a first rounder, he was the 4th pick in the draft. He hardly was worthy of that so wayyyyy over-drafted 

Yeah, looking back at the 1995 NFL Draft, in the top 12, I'd take the following over Westbrook.

1). Kerry Collins (wasn't going to happen b/c we drafted Heath the year before)

2). Kevin Carter (solid DE)

3). Galloway (Norv wanted his Michael Irvin)

4). Sapp (wasn't going to happen due to the marijuana issues (which seems silly now)).

I don't think he was over-drafted (he was certainly the top WR going into that draft).  He turned out better than JJ Stokes did (who had Rice AND TO to take pressure off of him as well as Young and Garcia throwing to him).

12 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I liked the Sweat trade up. But you know what I’d have liked much more? Just drafting Sweat :ols:

Sadly that's what the front office guys wanted to do but Dan had other ideas. 😧

12 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Doctson I didn’t understand at all.

I had the opportunity to ask Scot about that one personally.  Long story.  His thought was Doctson was Dez Bryant (back when Bryant was good).  He put up great numbers in college, he could high point a ball really well, strong hands.  But it didn't carry to the NFL.  Supposedly Scot really wanted Ryan Kelly but was surprised when Indy took him before our pick.

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I watched a lot of Brevin Jordan last night, I'll write something up on him later, I like him.  He will be on my list if he falls to our pick in the 2nd.  But the dude isn't a freak the way Kyle Pitts is.

As I am going through prospects, I have yet to get over Kyle Pitts.  The dude just looks unstoppable.  He has freakish size, speed, hands, separation skills.  He's the whole pacakage aside from blocking but he's even improved on that front this season compared to the previous one.  To say he'd be a mismatch for LBs and safeties in space would  be an understatment. 

Yeah, if some team wants to trade down for #19 and our two 3rds, I'd be OK with it.  Pitts would fill a HUGE need as a dominant skill guy across from Terry (he's not just a TE).  Would Denver consider it if they really liked Mac Jones and were confident he'd be there at 19?

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sadly that's what the front office guys wanted to do but Dan had other ideas. 😧

I had the opportunity to ask Scot about that one personally.  Long story.  His thought was Doctson was Dez Bryant (back when Bryant was good).  He put up great numbers in college, he could high point a ball really well, strong hands.  But it didn't carry to the NFL.  Supposedly Scot really wanted Ryan Kelly but was surprised when Indy took him before our pick.

Yeah, we were going to take Ryan Kelly, but he was gone.  We traded back with Houston to pick up a future 6th.  Hindsight would tell you that we should have traded down with Denver (who traded. 3rd to get Paxton Lynch) and take Chris Jones or Michael Thomas.

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Eh. I’m not. 

I’m sketchy on us reaching for the sake of reaching as we have in the past. But if you get the right guy I’m all in.

Now... finding the right guy is the hard part. But as long as I’ve been following the draft (I’ve been heavier the last 3-5ish years? Don’t really recall... but been “in the know and paying attention” for about a decade) our first rounders outside of Williams and Scherff have been questionable on the offensive side.

I liked Campbell and Ramsey as potential dudes... but I didn’t see a reason to get them in the first/trade up. Total reach scenarios.

I thought Haskins had potential but didn’t like taking him in the first. Was receptive to the idea of him but... his film wasn’t inspiring. 

I thought he was a first round physical trait dude and a 3rd or lower mechanics/reads dude. 

Doctson I didn’t understand at all.

Now, I've been wrong. I’m the first to admit it. But I wasn’t alone in these points. 

We may miss moving forward on some guys. It’s normal. But I don’t want to reach for the sake of reaching anymore. That needs to be done with. I don’t want to be surprised at our pick like, “huh. I didn’t see any possible reason that happened! Trading next year’s 2 and a 5 for a back end 1 this year to get a guy many believed is a late second rounder? AWESOME!”

I liked the Sweat trade up. But you know what I’d have liked much more? Just drafting Sweat :ols:

If they could find a good fit at an affordable cost I'd be okay with it. The issue is more than likely to get to the QB's in this draft would probably be to costly for the risk unless you get Lawrence.

I saw the potential in Ramsey but he was taken way to early. I hated the Campbell pick and the fact they traded up for him. Most of these poor offensive selections were due to them deciding to shoehorn a particular position what they had to draft like Campbell or Doctson

100% with you on Sweat. I am not in favor often of moving up in the draft but that was a value pick to me and should have taken at 15

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Especially with him landing at NE which seems to be popular in mocks.  That makes me cringe.  But it could be worse if he lands in the NFC East for a competitor. 

Yeah, I don't see him slipping past NYG.  Engram has no hands.  They need a skill guy for Jones.  Dallas probably passes because they have invested so much in skill guys and their TEs are pretty solid anyways.

Especially with him landing at NE which seems to be popular in mocks.  That makes me cringe.  But it could be worse if he lands in the NFC East for a competitor. 

I gotta think he makes it past the other East teams, just because of positional ranking and their needs. I doubt they overlook CB, OT, QB, WR for a TE. 

Seeing Pitts in the mid teens though. We have to grab him at that point.

Just now, DWinzit said:

If they could find a good fit at an affordable cost I'd be okay with it. The issue is more than likely to get to the QB's in this draft would probably be to costly for the risk unless you get Lawrence.

I saw the potential in Ramsey but he was taken way to early. I hated the Campbell pick and the fact they traded up for him. Most of these poor offensive selections were due to them deciding to shoehorn a particular position what they had to draft like Campbell or Doctson

100% with you on Sweat. I am not in favor often of moving up in the draft but that was a value pick to me and should have taken at 15

Ramsay wasn't bad (at least they traded down twice and picked up two 3rd rounders in the process).  He got picked 32 and the team needed a QB.  He stuck around the league for a while.  

9 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Yeah, if some team wants to trade down for #19 and our two 3rds, I'd be OK with it.  Pitts would fill a HUGE need as a dominant skill guy across from Terry (he's not just a TE).  Would Denver consider it if they really liked Mac Jones and were confident he'd be there at 19?

Part of why I'd like Mac Jones to emerge is he'd take up another spot in the top 18, moving players down.  I don't know if some of these draft geeks are right who say NFL teams are higher on Jones than some media mock draft types are is true or not.  But I am hoping it is true.   I am guessing SF at 12 might be our best shot if he falls there.  SF has Kittle already and they like to wheel and deal. 

7 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Yeah, we were going to take Ryan Kelly, but he was gone.  We traded back with Houston to pick up a future 6th.  Hindsight would tell you that we should have traded down with Denver (who traded. 3rd to get Paxton Lynch) and take Chris Jones or Michael Thomas.

There was an article written by Jason Cole before that draft (who was close at the time with Scot) that Scot liked Michael Thomas the best among the recievers.  So I wonder if so what happened?  One of the beat guys at the time said Sean McVay loved Doctson and stood on the table for him.   Don't know if that was a factor or Cole was just wrong about Scot on that one. 

8 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Yeah, looking back at the 1995 NFL Draft, in the top 12, I'd take the following over Westbrook.

1). Kerry Collins (wasn't going to happen b/c we drafted Heath the year before)

2). Kevin Carter (solid DE)

3). Galloway (Norv wanted his Michael Irvin)

4). Sapp (wasn't going to happen due to the marijuana issues (which seems silly now)).

I don't think he was over-drafted (he was certainly the top WR going into that draft).  He turned out better than JJ Stokes did (who had Rice AND TO to take pressure off of him as well as Young and Garcia throwing to him).

I wanted them to take Sapp so bad that year, him and Mark Fields. I had hopes for a trade back a few spots. 

Stokes was over hyped and neither he nor Westbrook deserved to be drafted that high in m eyes. 

Too bad we didn't end out with Collins instead of Shuler bummm

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I gotta think he makes it past the other East teams, just because of positional ranking and their needs. I doubt they overlook CB, OT, QB, WR for a TE. 

Seeing Pitts in the mid teens though. We have to grab him at that point.

Yeah that's what am guessing.  Eagles I'd guess goes receiver.  Giants I'd go edge rusher.  Dallas needs defense in a big way. 

Yeah that's what am guessing.  Eagles I'd guess goes receiver.  Giants I'd go edge rusher.  Dallas needs defense in a big way. 

Eagles will take Smith or Chase (whomever is on the board).  Their FO does NOT prioritize LBs, so Micah Parsons isn't on their radar (even though he'd be a godsend for their defense).  O-Line doesn't make sense (they still have Dillard, and their young tackles were not wretched).  Doubt they take QB.  There is not a CB worthy to take at 6.  It'll be Smith or Chase.

Dallas will either take LT (I think Smith could retire), trade back, or take best defender available.

Giants are the wild-card and could certainly take Pitts.  Their offense doesn't have scary skill guys sans Barkley (and frankly, Wayne Goldman ran much tougher than Barkley has).  Barkley is JD McKissic-like in pass protection.  They need a skill guy for Jones.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

They all need an OT too. TE is a strange luxury pick I suppose. 

Damn I want to draft this kid. What an amazing weapon for the next decade. He seems like he love playing football too, especially TE. That's special.

The gains made in four weeks with Hesam also are a testament to Pitts' commitment to his craft.

“People keep labeling him as a receiver-tight end, but he’s telling himself he needs to bulk up, he needs to block,” said Stephon Brown, who coaches receivers at Topshelf Performance in Atlanta. “That’s the difference with him; You can’t find many guys who can do what he does in the receiving game, but want to get better in the run game.”

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/florida-gators/os-sp-gators-football-kyle-pitts-1002-20201001-j7qefy756bgjzlljgkubgxibju-story.html

Pitts has come a long way during the past 12 months.

Looking to improve the one hole in his game — in-line blocking — Pitts packed on eight pounds of muscle during four weeks working with Reza Hesam of Athletic Development & Performance Therapy in Atlanta.

It was clear to Hesam at first glance that Pitts was a rare physical specimen.

29 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

They all need an OT too. TE is a strange luxury pick I suppose. 

Damn I want to draft this kid. What an amazing weapon for the next decade. He seems like he love playing football too, especially TE. That's special.

Nah, they don't need OT.  Lane Johnson is coming back and is a really good RT.  They drafted Dillard in the 1st a couple of years ago and he missed last year due to injury.  Their young replacements after Peters were not horrible.  OT isn't a big need for them.

The Eagles have to go WR. They're gonna get Chase or Smith and you can't pass up on either.

The Cowboys should go defense, really any position would help them they were historically bad this year, but Jerruh loves the sexy splash offensive picks(see drafing Zeke over Jalen Ramsey in 2016)so who knows.

The Giants are a bit of a wild card. I don't think they'll move on from Jones. They need offensive help bad too.

7 hours ago, KDawg said:

It’s pretty amazing that our offensive drafts over the past 30 years we’ve drafted 3 non OL/QB offensive players in the first:

2016 Josh Doctson

1995 Michael Westbrook

1992 Desmond Howard

Yikes.

You forgot Gardner.  All but Desmond Howard made sense to me

51 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Who can forget Gardner.

Ironically, Howard is the one that made the most sense to me :ols:

I thought Howard was an awful selection for an overrated little WR. 

My recollection is we badly needed DB's especially CB, DE and OL. There were a number of really good players at these positions and we had the 6th and 28th picks. We gave up both to move to 4 for Howard..Awful. I swore we were going to take CB Troy Vincent or DE Marco Coleman. We were then forced to take no bodies at DE and OL in the 2nd and 3rd that felt like reaches then and turned into virtual busts

19 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

i have never have liked trading up in the draft and we had too many holes to waste resources.

3 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I thought Howard was an awful selection for an overrated little WR. 

My recollection is we badly needed DB's especially CB, DE and OL. There were a number of really good players at these positions and we had the 6th and 28th picks. We gave up both to move to 4 for Howard..Awful. I swore we were going to take CB Troy Vincent or DE Marco Coleman. We were then forced to take no bodies at DE and OL in the 2nd and 3rd that felt like reaches then and turned into virtual busts

Let me reiterate: I was 8 and thought he was a sick receiver and return man.

So it made sense. 

;)

Archived