Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

6 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I would rather wait until the mid-late rounds to draft Tutu, Fryfogle, Tylan Wallace, 

Rondale Moore at 52 is the only scenario where the value blows me away enough to abandon the quality of depth in the class and pick a WR early.  We are definitely better off picking Slater, Darrisaw, Najee, or Zaven at 19 than a WR.  And there will probably be good enough CBs or OLs at 52 to make more sense to draft that position than WR unless a game-breaker like Rondale is still around.

I haven't gotten deep into watching the receivers yet but I have watched T. Wallace and I am a big fan of his.

Though i admit Waddle is really tempting at 19, N. Harris, too.  Ditto Zaven Collins.  I am torn between the three among the prospects I've watched.   

3 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Shifting back to LB, has anyone studied up on ASU’s (Antonio Pierce’s) Merlin Robertson?  Could he be a good target with our second 3rd or 4th rounder? Preseason Butkus Award watch list, but the team only played four games.

I didnt realize pierce was at asu, I thought it was a typo considering he played at u of a.  I guess he finally came to his senses.

13 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

There's going to be a glut of talent at 19.

Yep I agree and I think one of these guys who in theory by some won't land there will indeed be there.  As the exercise I did recently where I listed all the players who IMO are going early -- the math simply doesn't add up for every prospect we love going before 19.  It's 100% certain one of the guys we love is dropping.

N. Harris, I'd say 95% give or take will be there unless he destroys the combine.  Zaven Collins, I'd guess about 60% chance lands at 19 unless he destroys the combine.  Waddle, I'd say about 50%.

There was a time when Waddle was in conversation from some as the top receiver in the draft and in conversation with J. Chase.  Then he got hurt, and Devonta Smith killed it and now Waddle seems more of an after thought.  But the dude IMO is really good and better than H. Ruggs.  

26 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Marquez Stevenson from Houston is the DeSean Jackson comp in this draft, sir. Though I don’t know he has an injury history. 

I also don't think waddle deserves the d jax comp.   He had one freak injury, doesnt look like he missed time in first two seasons.

Just when he was described as someone who would carry ques tag often and miss multiple games a year, but is a beast otherwise, d jax is who I thought of.   Very frustrating to have a player like that.

I'll check out stevenson, I admit I never heard of him.  I have a lot of reading and watching to do.  This season, I watched the least amount of college football in my life.   Never thought the season was going to get off the ground, and thought it was gonna get shut down at any moment, so I never really bought in until down the stretch I watched some of the bigger games.

34 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Mclaurin, Waddle, a healthy Kelvin Harmon / Cam Sims plus another physical good hands YAC WR drafted/UDFAd later? That sounds so nasty. 

Mclaurin is too good and too hard of a worker. He deserves another top flight WR on the outside. 

I mean it doesn’t sound that nasty. :ols:

33 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I mean it doesn’t sound that nasty. :ols:

So you don't think waddle and Mclaurin make a good 1/2 combo? I guess they are smallish guys but they both play big. I guess the draft won't solve our WR problems. FA wr? It's probably not wise to rely on another mid/late round flyer on a physical possesion reciever on the draft. 

edit: If Harmon returns at 100% I think he will make a fantastic Slot/possesion guy. His ability to block will work well in the motion run game they do. I like his nasty streak catching the ball also. 

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

Waddle had a fracture/dislocation I believe. Are we sure he's going to be 100% the same guy? It makes me nervous. 

Don't know but I've heard some say an ankle fracture heals faster than the typical high ankle sprain.  i am not really married to any prospect right now who may fall to 19 -- Waddle though I would certainly consider if he falls our way.  All depends on who else is there. 

13 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think of those, Newman might have the best shot to elevate themselves after a good Senior Bowl.  Though I admit I am biased about him because I like his tools better than the other ones there. 

All 6 of those guys need really good showings. Newman is most interesting to me as well.

I feel like Franks is a guy that could solidify himself as a day 3 pick. I have a hard time liking Trask, Mond and Ehlinger in the pros but I hope the best for them

11 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

So you don't think waddle and Mclaurin make a good 1/2 combo? I guess they are smallish guys but they both play big. I guess the draft won't solve our WR problems. FA wr? It's probably not wise to rely on another mid/late round flyer on a physical possesion reciever on the draft. 

edit: If Harmon returns at 100% I think he will make a fantastic Slot/possesion guy. His ability to block will work well in the motion run game they do. I like his nasty streak catching the ball also. 

I think McLaurin and Waddle are great. But the rest of the receivers are either totally unproven, coming off an injury or the same ol same ol.

16 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

There's going to be a glut of talent at 19.

I think #19 could also be in a bit of a dead spot in the round, whereby it doesn’t really matter if you were picking 15-30, the talent on offer if very much a wash. Poor value pick.

Interesting to see what the revised combine arrangements are too, those in addition to a very disjointed season make this an unusual set of circumstances to evaluate. 

I feel like it may be a year to be aggressive. Not just in the draft, but also free agency. Let’s add 4 or 5 elements of true quality.

17 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I think #19 could also be in a bit of a dead spot in the round, whereby it doesn’t really matter if you were picking 15-30, the talent.....

Normally this seems true but this year has possibly 4 or 5 1st rd. Qbs and

at least 3 1st round wrs. We need both.

You also have guys that emerged as guys sat out. Not to mention    OT/CB/DL ....

A guy that would normally go top10 should fall.

50 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I think #19 could also be in a bit of a dead spot in the round, whereby it doesn’t really matter if you were picking 15-30, the talent on offer if very much a wash. Poor value pick.

Interesting to see what the revised combine arrangements are too, those in addition to a very disjointed season make this an unusual set of circumstances to evaluate. 

I feel like it may be a year to be aggressive. Not just in the draft, but also free agency. Let’s add 4 or 5 elements of true quality.

I do think we likely will get a surprise faller to 19 but I am not so sure that dude will be a potential elite player.   I am 100% on board with your thinking.  I think the people on this thread are divided on this idea where you and I are more in the minority.   People want to trade down.  But really people always want to trade down every draft from what I can recall.  I typically did too. 

My thinking of late has changed on this.  Some of it is I think we are actually genuinely close.  This time for real not the Bruce Allen version of it. :ols:   And the other part of it is about digesting deals that have gone on as to trade ups (not just from us but other teams).  These trade up deals haven't all been big losers.  A good chunk of them have worked.  I think where it gets a bad name is its much riskier to do those big trades for QBs because the bust rate is so high for that position and also the draft capital used up to trade in those cases were often huge.  It doesn't have to be huge and it doesn't have to be for a QB. 

I want a killer player.  I think this team would benefit more from that than anything else.  Depth isn't our top weakness IMO.  Our weakness IMO is we need a game changing LB, a game changing receiver/TE to add to what we got.   I think we'd benefit more from 2 great players than 4 good ones.  And we got plenty of picks and cap room to serve multiple masters.  It's much harder to find great players than it is to find good ones. 

Are the Cowboys upset that they traded with us in 2014?  Look we got two shiny toys and they just got one.  They get Lawrence but we got Trent Murphy AND Spencer Long.

We got both Ryan Kerrigan and Jarvin Jenkins to pass on JJ Watt.    We thought at the time we killed it when Seattle gave us picks so they can get Tyler Lockett.  How does that one look now?

I am not saying trading up is always the way to go.  But I do think the hesitation to do it out of the instinct to being conservative -- isn't always the winning formula.  Even though it always feels great and prudent in the moment to trade down.  I've loved all the trade down moves in the moment.  They all made those drafts a blast.   But years later they didn't feel good as they did then. 

So for me if they have for example Kyle Pitts graded as a 95 and the other players likely dropping to their pick are in the 80s, and they can get him by trading their third, I'd do it in a second. Or name that other player, whomever they might love.

Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 10.59.15 AM.png

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I want a killer player.  I think this team would benefit more from that than anything else.  Depth isn't our top weakness

Totally Agree. We must also be aggressive in FA to open up the draft for ourselves. Some of these teams strapped for cap space might be keen to trade back with us as well. 

I feel like sitting at #19 may just end up very meh. Let’s get to the next level.

34 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

What do you all think of Jamie Newman as our mid round  QB to develop next year? He seems like a nice player and has some running ability (powerful and fast although but not super quick) which Turner seems to value.

My favorite mid level player at QB.  He's has size, some mobility.  I like raw talents everything being equal.  He would fit that.  The Senior Bowl should be especially interesting for him since he didn't play this season. 

I'm one of the few people that is vehemently anti trade down. I want to trade up. I want difference makers.

But I'm not sure a TE is worth moving up for. I get that PItts is a beast but these 1st round TEs tend to basically be receivers in TE bodies. We need a guy that can block also and those can usually be found in the middle rounds.

TJ Hockensen was a very high pick too and his #s aren't much better than Logan Thomas's and that's with Matty Stafford slingin him the rock.

Archived