Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

I don’t think we need to worry too much about OLB. We don’t play with three backers a lot of the time and if we do Holcomb is more than adequate out there. He does well with all the major categories of what an OLB needs to do. His issue is his downhill play on inside runs from a 4-2 alignment as an ILB.

If Holcomb plays a more traditional OLB he goes from being okay to being a very good player.

Its the two ILB spots that are the issue in the 4-2. We need two inside (MIKE) type backers. 

IMO they would be in more 4-3's with better/quicker OLB and Safety play. I do see L Collins being used differently as I think his ridiculous contract is strapping. My point was I really like Bolton a lot but his speed is concerning to play either for every down. Collins is capable of playing inside outside or edge, hell he puts a few pounds on without losing speed he can play anyplace. Hi is a freak.  Bolton might be a great fit if he were next to him and depending on the alignment, they could be inside together. I see Bolton a top leader

5 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

IMO they would be in more 4-3's with better/quicker OLB and Safety play. I do see L Collins being used differently as I think his ridiculous contract is strapping. My point was I really like Bolton a lot but his speed is concerning to play either for every down. Collins is capable of playing inside outside or edge, hell he puts a few pounds on without losing speed he can play anyplace. Hi is a freak.  Bolton might be a great fit if he were next to him and depending on the alignment, they could be inside together. I see Bolton a top leader

I’m very interested in Collins, Parsons, Cox, Rice, Werner as the inside guys. They are the guys who can play a bit in coverage and still get after it a little bit. Problem is I don’t see any way we use that many draft resources on ILB. But who knows.

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I’m very interested in Collins, Parsons, Cox, Rice, Werner as the inside guys. They are the guys who can play a bit in coverage and still get after it a little bit. Problem is I don’t see any way we use that many draft resources on ILB. But who knows.

agreed. I only see one LB in the first 3 rounds. I still say they bring in a FA starter and leader in the middle. Parsons will not be on my radar because I see no way he is at 19 and would not be favor of moving up for him (or anyone else) I have my eye on Cox as well! and Werner I would be interested in only if they failed to address LB yet and we are late in maybe the 3rd or in the 4th round. I take it you do not like Bolton for the same reason I am concerned with him over...speed. 

Any thoughts on Terrace Marshall Jr from LSU? Saw a mock with him going to us at 19. And another with Amon-Ra St. Brown. Would y'all prefer Waddle over these guys? I like Marshall's production, just by looking at his stats. I'd rather us go LB (Collins), unless someone else falls to us. Don't want to trade high picks or overpay for Stafford. If we can get him rather cheap, then I'll be OK with it. If not, rather us draft a guy later and roll with Allen and Heinicke.

23 minutes ago, ksun247 said:

Any thoughts on Terrace Marshall Jr from LSU? Saw a mock with him going to us at 19. And another with Amon-Ra St. Brown. Would y'all prefer Waddle over these guys? I like Marshall's production, just by looking at his stats. I'd rather us go LB (Collins), unless someone else falls to us. Don't want to trade high picks or overpay for Stafford. If we can get him rather cheap, then I'll be OK with it. If not, rather us draft a guy later and roll with Allen and Heinicke.

Waddle would not only be a big improvement at the slot WR, but he's maybe the best punt/kick returner to come out in a while (and we were beyond terrible returning punts), but... I absolutely love Collins, and I'd pick him over Waddle.  We might even be able to trade down for Collins if the mocks are right (All the ones I've seen have him as late 1st or early 2nd).  I can't understand why he's not rated a top 10 pick.  I'd sign a top free agent WR and pick Collins.  

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Collins would make a fantastic SAM with that size and speed.

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Collins would make a fantastic SAM with that size and speed.

Thing is we don’t need a true OLB if we’re in a 4-2 BUT we can use him as one if we need it. I think he’d fit even better as a true Mike 

10 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I wonder if we could land Collins and Bolton with our first two picks, then grab Breven Jordan and Stephenson in the 3rd. That would be something else. 

McKissic is pretty much a CT, I'd think. We need a Leroy Hoard to get us 2 yards when we need 1 and that's not Gibson or McKissic. That's what Barber has been very good at for us.

If we can upgrade the Barber spot to someone who can run and pass block, break free sometimes, get 5 yards on 1rst down and catch a pass, it really opens us up, but he has to get 2 yards when we need one.

One other trait I'd like this RB to have is pass-blocking ability and willingness.  McKissic was willing but woefully inadequate.  In the playoff game, it was his complete whiff on a blitzer that allowed the tip and interception on Heinicke in the first half.  It seems like a little thing, but it was a game-changer.  And Gibson has no experience pass-blocking.    

2 hours ago, ksun247 said:

LSU alum here. Terrace is going to be an absolute stud at the next level. He's a freak. He got injured last year for 20% of the season with a broken foot , but came back and dominated and still had 13 TD's in 12 games. If he plays a full season, he might've had 17-18. He's that good. He was phenomenal this year with Myles at QB and then had two freshman QB's throwing to him for the rest of the year. Had 10 TD's in 7 games. He went off for 230+ yards against Missouri too. I wasn't a big fan of the opt out and though it was a little weak on his part after supposedly giving a heartfelt speech to the team about not quitting and fighting through the end. He would be the perfect compliment to McLaurin. I was hoping we could snag him in the 2nd round and we still might be able to, but I fear his combine numbers are going to propel him into the first round. He's definitely worthy of a first round grade though. 

I don’t know a lot about Collins. I have not seen him play. I see he’s a big dude at 260. Questions for those that know, is he a sideline to sideline 3 down ILB? Is he fast enough to stop a speed RB from catching the corner on him? Because if he is, he sounds perfect for what we desperately need..

1 hour ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

I don’t know a lot about Collins. I have not seen him play. I see he’s a big dude at 260. Questions for those that know, is he a sideline to sideline 3 down ILB? Is he fast enough to stop a speed RB from catching the corner on him? Because if he is, he sounds perfect for what we desperately need..

I remember watching him play for the first time in a game against UCF this season. He really stands out. I'd be happy to draft him, but if the mocks are right, I hope we find a way to trade back and take him. I'm still torn, however, between he and Najee. I really don't like taking RBs in the first, but damn does that kid look good on the field. 

2 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

That’s the thing. He could probably play any LB position in a 34 or 43.  I think he’ll be best in the middle, though, and that’s what we need. 

He can cover backs and TEs.  If he times well for the 40, he will rise up these media draft boards. I am certain most teams already have him higher rated than most mocks do.

The best comp I can think of would be Adalius Thomas, but I think he has a higher ceiling as a middle of the field guy. He can do a lot of different things. (Quick search I see someone has already beaten me to that comp back in Dec.)

16 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

Most likely a team is trading up to 2 to draft Wilson/Fields/Lance. 

That’s what I was getting at.

Most likely a team that would be taking QB3 or QB4 in front of us in a situation where the Jets took QB2, gets to move up for QB2 themselves if the Jets are out. Creating an added path to QB3 or 4 that potentially wouldn’t had been there with the Jets taking a QB. 

Jets and Dolphins in the top 3 and both potentially with picks on the block. Jax definitely taking a QB. This draft is going to be QB1,2,3. 

Colts will probably go hard for Stafford, since they can't move up that high and are in win now mode.

This is not the year for us to get our QB of the future.

5 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

This is not the year for us to get our QB of the future.

Rivera has stated getting the QB situation sorted out is priority #1 for this offseason. I would not count out a huge trade up--especially with the cap space we have.

5 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Rivera has stated getting the QB situation sorted out is priority #1 for this offseason. I would not count out a huge trade up--especially with the cap space we have.

I'll be supportive should such a huge trade occur. But if it doesn't pan out someone is going to need to come looking for me to check on my welfare.

Hot take: I am doing my receiver watch. I started with Bateman and Chase.

I'm not sold that Chase is better than Bateman, let alone DeVanta. I'm not trying to take anything away from JaMarr. He is a deep threat, take the top off guy. He is also a killer slant and cross runner and if he catches the ball in space he's gone. But his route tree isn't all that diversified. He ran a lot of slants, ins, crossers and fades. Sure, he did some other stuff... But the vast majority of his production seemed to come from fade balls and in breaking routes. He also isn't all that precise on his breaks. He's going to get separation from people even in the NFL. He's very talented... But I am not sure he's as good as we (read: me) thought he was.

Gotta go through everyone and then watch him again. I just am not as wowed by him as I once was after watching a few of these other receivers...

I wish Rashawn Slater hadn't opted out.  I can only find two cut ups for him on youtube, I really wish we could have seen where he was at this season.  I've got a take forming but I don't want to sit too firm on it on just two games because what if he looked like ass in the others?  But in those two games he looked good.  I've seen his biggest knock being size and arm length issues, begging the question if he'll have to move inside in the NFL.  I think he looks too good in edge pass pro to make that move.  He could be a David Bahktiari type player at tackle because he wins in similar ways despite having similar disadvantages: savvy, strong hands with a lot of speed.  Punch isn't that heavy like Tucker's or Darrisaw's or Sewell's, but it's really fast and accurate and he's always getting something good done with it.  First step is excellent.  Good clean pass sets where he's mixing it up well and his jump sets look particularly good.  He looks really skilled and comfortable in the RPO game as a result.  Slide and mirror technique is absolutely ideal.  His ability to stay engaged and redirect after guessing wrong with his set is elite, which is why he can be so aggressive with his sets and vary his depth so much.  I think his slide and mirror is the best in the class and that this is what Daniel Jeremiah was primarily thinking about when he said Slater was a better prospect than Sewell.  Bend is very natural, and maybe this is where being small and not a mammoth OT like Leatherwood/Cosmi/Eichenberg is an advantage. 

So the negatives look like, yes, he is small for the position.  He's not an overpowering player with great functional strength, but he is fast, clever, and accurate--wins by beating you to the fit, beating you with his set, beating you to the punch, etc.  But he's going to run into the Calais Campbells of the NFL and just not be able to deal with the combo of length + hand skill.  But I also don't think you avoid a guy because there might be one or two games a year where he can't match up when in the other 14 he is fine.  There are also some concerns in the run game.  He looks fine on zone runs and he looks really good in the screen game.  Basically he's good on all of the traditional movement blocks in the run/horizontal passing game.  But his playing style can go from "smooth" to "laconic" as a run blocker.  You would definitely like to see more consistent aggression here.  There's also not a lot of versatility in this part of his game.  Realistically, you're just not going to get much drive from him here because he doesn't have the size or power to do it.

Where I'm settling on him is that he's a very rich man's version of Saahdiq Charles.  He is definitely a ZBS-type OL and thus a natural scheme fit here.  Northwestern kid so he is probably smart.  I think he makes sense for us at 19.  Seems like a BPA candidate that far into the class.  We'd be a little on the small side on the OL if we had him + Charles + Ismael playing, but we would be fast.  I'm not sure whether I like him or Darrisaw better, but they are the clear tier 2 of the OLs.  Darrisaw is the bigger swing for the fences, but Slater looks cleaner and is probably the safer bet to solidify that LT spot.

This is a good OT crop for the top 50.  I think it makes sense for us to either draft Slater or Darrisaw at 19, or try and move back and get Cosmi or Eichenberg if they are left + a guy like Owusu-Koromoah.

I would feel better about our OL long-term if we can get some real pipeline talent in this class.  Slater in the first and someone like Spencer Brown in the third or fourth could set us up long term and give an offense with lower-end backfield talent more of a chance.

14 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Waddle would not only be a big improvement at the slot WR, but he's maybe the best punt/kick returner to come out in a while (and we were beyond terrible returning punts), but... I absolutely love Collins, and I'd pick him over Waddle.  We might even be able to trade down for Collins if the mocks are right (All the ones I've seen have him as late 1st or early 2nd).  I can't understand why he's not rated a top 10 pick.  I'd sign a top free agent WR and pick Collins.  

Well, he is a bit of a toothpick? Immense talent though.

Archived