Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

If the QB hype, or combine hype, causes Parsons to fall to 7, I am trading 19 and 49(our 2nd rounder) to the Lions to move up. I went to one of those draft trade calculator sites, and we would also get a late round pick out of the deal as well. The Lions are in more of a rebuild and need the picks. We are in the next phase of our build where we are adding key pieces. 

This is assuming Parsons shows well throughout the pre-draft process. I am okay with one or two maneuvers in the draft to get key pieces- such as the Sweat trade. We all (should) know how badly this defense needs an upgrade at the LB position. Using 2 top picks (where we normally miss on 2nd rounders anyway) to almost certainly solidify that MLB position in this defense is a calculated sniper move. Brady not being able to rely on his run game so much would have gotten really interesting- for example. The Steelers or Bucs recently made similar trades, I believe, to snag their LBs. 

Secondary plan: If Parsons is gone before 7, trade with San Fran at 12, for 19 and 81(2nd 3rd rounder). Likely can add a 5th or 6th from San Fran as well. This would be to move up and get Collins. Same thought process.

I am stubbornly going to push LB and OL as the top two priorities in the first 3 rounds.

Been watching as much as I can stomach between stuff of Ford vs. Caden Sterns. Ford is the better player on viewing but... I just have this gut feeling about Sterns...

1 minute ago, IrepDC said:

If the QB hype, or combine hype, causes Parsons to fall to 7, I am trading 19 and 49(our 2nd rounder) to the Lions to move up. I went to one of those draft trade calculator sites, and we would also get a late round pick out of the deal as well. The Lions are in more of a rebuild and need the picks. We are in the next phase of our build where we are adding key pieces. 

This is assuming Parsons shows well throughout the pre-draft process. I am okay with one or two maneuvers in the draft to get key pieces- such as the Sweat trade. We all (should) know how badly this defense needs an upgrade at the LB position. Using 2 top picks (where we normally miss on 2nd rounders anyway) to almost certainly solidify that MLB position in this defense is a calculated sniper move. Brady not being able to rely on his run game so much would have gotten really interesting- for example. The Steelers or Bucs recently made similar trades, I believe, to snag their LBs. 

Secondary plan: If Parsons is gone before 7, trade with San Fran at 12, for 19 and 81(2nd 3rd rounder). Likely can add a 5th or 6th from San Fran as well. This would be to move up and get Collins. Same thought process.

I am stubbornly going to push LB and OL as the top two priorities in the first 3 rounds.

Parsons is one of a couple guys I’d even entertain the idea of that trade for. But him being out for a year makes me more hesitant... but if that offer was made to me... I’m not sure I could say no.

If anyone’s looking for a laugh, head to the teams twitter account for their tweet asking who people think we should draft, and read the argument between me and this idiot who suggests it will have been 4 straight years we’ve drafted a QB (in his eyes, draft also refers to free agency LOL!!!!)

he said “how about NOT a QB? it will literally be the like 4th year in a row we would have picked a QB”. 

when I pointed out it’s only been two straight years (haskins and then Steven Montez), he brought up Kirk, Alex smith, and Taylor Heinicke. Gaaahhh the stupid, it hurts. 

the idiots response was “Dont say "again, in the draft" because I never said IN THE DRAFT. Again I say words have MULTIPLE meanings. Get over it. I made one point answering "who we should pick" ie NOT a QB. And then made a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT POINT in the subsequent sentences. I dont see the issue here”

More stupid: “We have already "drafted" (the verb, as in acquired) Taylor (i seriously don't remember how to spell his last name). We have a QB. Why draft (still the verb) another one in the draft (this is the event aka the noun)” 

holy ****..........my brain hurts 

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Honestly I’d have the most pause at 19 if the following were there: Najee, Waddle, Smith, Collins.

I don’t think a single one of them is there at that point. 

But I’d be real tempted by Smith, Waddle, Collins in that order...

If you start playing with who will likely be drafted, granted its a guess, it becomes IMO clear that there will be a drop of a player that we otherwise wouldn't think would be there. 

I recall none of us thinking Jonathan Allen would drop even close to our pick but he did.  Ditto Derwin James.    Eventually the math is the math.  It reminds me of the Jon Gruden/Kiper draft special years back where at some point Gruden joked that if you listen to Kiper tout individual players then we will have 60 guys going in the 2nd round because of all of his 2nd round grades.  😀

My best early guess is there are almost slam dunk 12 players going before our pick:

Lawrence

Fields

Lance

Wilson

Sewell

Devonta Smith

J. Chase

Parsons

Kyle Pitts

Rosseau

Paye

Surtain

Then factor this: the odds that at least 2 tackles are going to go before our pick are good if past is prologue (tackles tend to go early) -- which 2?  Hard to say but lets say Slater and Darrisaw

The odds that another corner goes early is good too, they tend to go fast so lets say its Farley as opposed to Horn

So that's 15 players now.  Only 3 players before our pick. 

I can go further. Maybe 3 corners actually go.  Maybe another tackle like Cosmi goes.  Maybe some of the mock drafters are right and Mac Jones goes earlier then expected.  Barmore has growing buzz. Maybe Koramoah goees early -- he's top 10 in some mocks. 

To me its perfectly feasible and actually likely that one of our favorite prospects within reason does land at 19.  I haven't mentioned yet Waddle, Harris, Z. Collins among others. 

1 hour ago, IrepDC said:

If 25-10 cost two firsts and a third, I don’t think a 2nd to move to 9 will be nearly enough 

2 hours ago, IrepDC said:

Give me Collins over Micah (based on projected ‘price.’)

Based on everything I have read and watched of him, it’s obvious he will be a Pros Pro.  He has freakish size/speed, great instincts, and most importantly he LOVES the game.

Skip ahead to 1:15 below:

2 hours ago, Tedskins 21 said:

If we can get Collins and Najee similar to Haskins and Sweat... Oof

Go back and look at the players on the board in the second round for the last two drafts.  If Snyder hadn't forced the Haskins pick, the Skins could have had Sweat AND two productive WRs. IMO, the team should go for three quality players.  It's easy to give up next year's draft pick until that draft comes around and you realize exactly what you gave up.  

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

It totally worries me having the other 3 teams in the East before us. Figure Eagles, QB. Dallas, CB or OL. Giants probably will take Pitts.

I wonder.  They might.  But they are somewhat desperate for a pass rusher and they might have a shot at the first one on the board -- Rousseau or Paye.   Gettleman is still there.  He loves D line, O line.   I wonder if Philly takes him that early -- its possible but I suspect they go Chase or D. Smith.   Dallas is a wreck on defense but are loaded on offense.   I can see maybe at 12?  SF likes to wheel and deal.  They can recoup the pick they gave us for Trent and see that as a victory.  I don't think they'd want Pitts considering they have the best TE in the game. 

I wonder what zaven collins runs at the combine.  He ran 4.8 after HS, and although that was 4 years ago, that was also 50 pounds ago. He is 260 lbs which is big for a mike.  I know instincts and quickness are more important for a guy that close to the line of scrimmage, but I looked up where ray lewis and patrick willis ran below 4.6.  they were also about 20 lbs lighter.   The thought of a do it all lb behind our d line is very exciting. Collins next to lavonta david, wow. 

1. MICAH PARSONS, LB, PENN STATE The Penn State linebacker earned the second-highest run-defense grade we’ve ever given to a true sophomore. What the 240-plus-pounder can do as a blitzer is going to be a weapon in the NFL.

2. JAYLEN WADDLE, WR, ALABAMA

The “other” Alabama receiver is a freak athlete in his own right. If you extrapolated his four games out to a full season, he’d have gone for 75 catches, 1,671 yards and 12 scores.

3. DEVONTA SMITH, WR, ALABAMA

The Heisman Trophy winner. People will point to his frame and weight (175 pounds), but until someone can give me some examples on tape of it being an issue, I’m not too worried.

4. KYLE PITTS, TE, FLORIDA

I’m no fan of drafting tight ends early, but calling Pitts a tight end is selling him short. If he were solely a receiver, Pitts would be in this range because of his ability to beat one-on-one coverage.

5. TREY LANCE, QB, NORTH DAKOTA STATE

The tools are prodigious. Offensive coordinators must salivate watching him flick it 60-plus yards downfield one play then outrun a safety on the next. But with just one season in a run-heavy offense against FCS competition, Lance is still a massive project as a passer.

6. KWITY PAYE, EDGE, MICHIGAN

Paye has everything you could want physically to be an every-down problem in the NFL. While he never put it altogether at Michigan, he’s shown he can take to coaching and has made strides every single year.

7. RASHAWN SLATER, T, NORTHWESTERN

Slater allowed all of five pressures back in 2019 before opting out in 2020. At only 6-foot-3, he may get stuck inside, but we think he’s more than athletic enough to hang on the edge.

8. CALEB FARLEY, CB, VIRGINIA TECH

He’s got the size and speed part of the position down pat and was pretty darn good at the coverage part when we last saw him in 2019. He allowed a passer rating of only 26.8 that season.

9. GREGORY ROUSSEAU, EDGE, MIAMI (FL)

Yet another opt-out. Rousseau has the tools to be a top-five pick, but it’s hard to bank on him after only one year of college football. His absurd length and versatility will be a selling point for teams.

10. CHRISTIAN BARMORE, DI, ALABAMA

After a slow start to the season, Barmore turned it on at the end of the year. His performances against Notre Dame in the College Football Playoff Semifinal and against Ohio State in the National Championship were two of the most impressive we saw from a defensive tackle all season.

11. CHRISTIAN DARRISAW, T, VIRGINIA TECH

Darrisaw turned in the second-highest-graded season from a Power 5 tackle in a massive breakout 2020 season. He’s an easy people-mover that few are going through.

12. PATRICK SURTAIN II, CB, ALABAMA

You won’t find a better combination of size, length and technique in the draft. All Surtain doesn’t have is the high-end speed you’d like when drafting a corner early.

13. RASHOD BATEMAN, WR, MINNESOTA

Bateman can get off the line of scrimmage with ease then beat you with either his shake or his size. One of the best route-runners in college football, Bateman led the country in yards per route run from an outside alignment as a sophomore in 2019.

14. JEREMIAH OWUSU-KORAMOAH, LB, NOTRE DAME

The Butkus Award winner for the nation’s best linebacker. JOK has elite short-area quicks for a linebacker, and while 215 pounds may seem tiny, it’s the same weight that Darius Leonard played at this season for the Colts.

15. JAYSON OWEH, EDGE, PENN STATE

Oweh can do things physically that other edge rushers can only dream of. With reported 4.3 speed, he can play both ends of an option play with ease. The Penn State product took a massive step forward this season as a run defender in his first season as a starter, earning an 89.8 grade in the process.

16. NICK BOLTON, LB, MISSOURI

Bolton won’t tick every box physically, but this is a guy you want in the middle of your defense. He led the SEC in defensive stops in each of the past two seasons.

17. CHRIS OLAVE, WR, OHIO STATE

Olave’s skill set is pretty similar to Rashod Bateman’s, only without the size. The combination of route-running and ball skills is still a winning one at any level, though, as he’s shown.

18. TREVON MOEHRIG, S, TCU

At 6-foot-2, 202 pounds, Moehrig has a lot of prototypical physical tools for the position, and they’ve translated to the field. He led all college safeties in pass breakups in each of the past two seasons.

19. JAYCEE HORN, CB, SOUTH CAROLINA

Horn has the athleticism and mindset of a man corner at the NFL level — he’s not going to back down from anyone. He allowed only eight catches from 24 targets for 116 yards across seven games this year.

20. KADARIUS TONEY, WR, FLORIDA

He’s neck and neck with the man two spots down from him on this list when it comes to owning the title of “the most dangerous player in the draft with the ball in his hands.” Toney's balance, flexibility and explosion are exceptional. He’s broken 32 tackles on 80 catches over the past two seasons.

21. AZEEZ OJULARI, EDGE, GEORGIA

Ojulari was one of the biggest risers with his play in 2020. He’s the best pure speed rusher in the class and will threaten the edge against even the most athletic tackles in the league. He finished his redshirt sophomore season with a 91.7 pass-rushing grade.

22. RONDALE MOORE, WR, PURDUE

Moore never got a chance to prove that he can win as an outside receiver, but he’s shown more than enough from the slot to be a first-rounder. He led all receivers in broken tackles as a freshman in 2018.

23. TEVEN JENKINS, T, OKLAHOMA STATE

Jenkins was a full-grown man on the right side for the Cowboys. You won’t have to watch too many plays before finding a rep of him putting a defender in the turf. He allowed only four pressures on 211 pass-blocking snaps this season.

24. CARLOS BASHAM JR., EDGE, WAKE FOREST

Basham had a bit of a down year, but he notched 112 pressures in the two seasons prior. He’s a burly 285-pound edge who should be a pocket-pusher for years to come.

25. MAC JONES, QB, ALABAMA

There’s not one play or throw from Jones that will make you go “wow,” but play in and play out he’ll get the ball where it needs to go on time. While not super toolsy, his command of the offense and position is impressive.

26. ALIJAH VERA TUCKER, IOL, USC

Vera-Tucker’s quality play at tackle this past season made us feel even better about him on the inside. He earned an 81.8 overall grade and showed some fantastic ability to play in space.

27. ZAVEN COLLINS, LB, TULSA

At 6-foot-4, 260 pounds, Collins isn’t your typical off-ball linebacker prospect. He dominates backs in blitz pickup and can chase them down in space, as well. His 91.1 overall grade this past season led all linebackers in college football.

2 hours ago, Tedskins 21 said:

Give me Collins over Micah (based on projected ‘price.’)

Based on everything I have read and watched of him, it’s obvious he will be a Pros Pro.  He has freakish size/speed, great instincts, and most importantly he LOVES the game.

The Zaven train is gaining momentum!  

4 minutes ago, RWJ said:

lol, somehow that looks like you are citing a quote from me but i never said that.  😀

There are some big Mac Jones people on this thread apparenty and some who really don't care for him as a prospect with some intensity.  I am friendly to the pro Mac Jones views here but he's definitely not who I prefer at 19.  My thing about Mac is if the FO ends up liking him, I'd go for the ride without feeling snippy about it.    

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

lol, somehow that looks like you are citing a quote from me but i never said that.  😀

There are some big Mac Jones people on this thread apparenty and some who really don't care for him as a prospect with some intensity.  I am friendly to the pro Mac Jones views here but he's definitely not who I prefer at 19.  My thing about Mac is if the FO ends up liking him, I'd go for the ride without feeling snippy about it.    

Sorry, this site will ban you it you post with tweeted pictures etc. unless they have changed. I didn't mean any harm.  Our friendship as posters goes beyond that. :)  I'd rather go LOT in 1st and if need be grab Jones in the 2nd or move up in the 1st after our pick to get him.  

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

It totally worries me having the other 3 teams in the East before us. Figure Eagles, QB. Dallas, CB or OL. Giants probably will take Pitts.

I wouldn’t worry too much. Giants had Barkley and OBJ. Cowboys had Dak and Zeke. Eagles had their franchise QB in Wentz. 

Felt like all those teams were going to be perennial contenders but that’s how quickly things change. We just have to take care of our own business.

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That's the dude am trading up for but only if he's in the teens.

if he falls into the teens I'd trade up for him too but I'd be surprised

Kind of reminds me of when we picked Desmond Howard.  I think Devonta will succeed much more than Howard though. 

8 hours ago, RWJ said:

Sorry, this site will ban you it you post with tweeted pictures etc. unless they have changed. I didn't mean any harm.  Our friendship as posters goes beyond that. :)  I'd rather go LOT in 1st and if need be grab Jones in the 2nd or move up in the 1st after our pick to get him.  

No problem, I just wanted to clarify for anyone that sees that -- that it isn't a quote from me directly.  I am ok if they pick Mac Jones but he's not my top guy at 19.  

14 hours ago, IrepDC said:

No problem with this mindset! Would love to have Parsons or Collins would be the most impact-full defenders for WFT. JO-K would be a nice consolation prize.

The Oline draft selections over the past few years just receives mid to late round reaches just creating group of backups. Same has gone with the FA's brought in. They need an infusion of talented youth. While I have not studied the OT's yet, if one of the better ones fall into the 19th pick and those 3 LB's are not available they need to take them. There are a lot of WR's available in FA and draft.

There are so many holes in the lineup that I do not favor the trade up idea. I would rather go within reason BPA but selecting based on the holes. I am assuming by the time the draft hits there will be new starters brought in at WR, LB, DB and perhaps an OL minimally. Until FA hits It is hard to tell how this plays out but one good thing is with Heinicke playing like he did, it may remove the teams thoughts of taking a QB in the first round.

22 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

No problem, I just wanted to clarify for anyone that sees that -- that it isn't a quote from me directly.  I am ok if they pick Mac Jones but he's not my top guy at 19.  

I respect that. :)

Archived