Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

6 hours ago, KDawg said:

If I were comparing any of the prospects to Jackson it would be Lance. 

Jackson is a smarter runner.

This is a big issue with me for Lance. I watch him and I see him over and over again doing A gap runs and consistently trying to run over linebackers and just truck guys. It makes me cringe because that's fine and dandy to do against MVFC guys who will never see an NFL field, but he's going to get himself hurt in the pros if he tries it. 

That being said, it's not exactly a disqualifying thing. He's just going to have to learn to be smarter in the NFL.

I do like Lance but I don't think I'd really be for trading up to get him. If he fell to us, I'd dig the pick. 

• Like 1

This draft is going to be outrageous at RB. After watching AJ Rose today I would love to have that guy. Ridiculous vision and makes the first man miss consistently. Lacks true breakaway speed. But he reads his blocks like a pro. Reminds me of Portis alot actually. 

Daz Newsome is a NFL WR as well. 

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

This draft is going to be outrageous at RB. After watching AJ Rose today I would love to have that guy. Ridiculous vision and makes the first man miss consistently. Lacks true breakaway speed. But he reads his blocks like a pro. Reminds me of Portis alot actually. 

Daz Newsome is a NFL WR as well. 

I think this draft will end up being a special one especially for offensive players which most fans want in the game. QB,LT,WR,RB all have multiple options.

• Like 1

If jax does hire urban meyer, it makes the #1 pick even more interesting: does meyer make the call to take fellow buckeye fields over lawrence?  He will have as good of a read on fields as anyone.  And jets fans who have been depressed about the jets blowing their chance at trevor may get their guy after all.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I want to like Charlie Kolar but I don't.  Great size for the position, and he's skilled and physical.  But he is sooo slow.  He suffers in a juxtaposition with some of the other tight ends in the class.

What are your feelings on the Ohio TEs yesterday (Ferrell and I forget the other). Did they shine because they’re good, Fields was good or clemson’s secondary was atrocious?

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I want to like Charlie Kolar but I don't.  Great size for the position, and he's skilled and physical.  But he is sooo slow.  He suffers in a juxtaposition with some of the other tight ends in the class.

His stride allows him to get up the seem efficiently enough to get the separation he needs with that big frame, and he can move ok if he's allowed to gather a head of steam. He's got some sneaky fluidity too. I think he mitigates his poor acceleration enough to give him a chance to be a very good TE2. Always good to have a guy that contributes in the run game and can hurt a defense if they don't pay any attention to him in the pass game. I'll take him all day in the 4th round. 

Edited by Berggy9598

I think we will see the Trey Sermon that has not been seen yet,” Mitchell said.

Burhanan and Sermon’s high school coach, Billy Shackelford, share that opinion.

“I used to always get on Trey about his sense of urgency when he was playing,” Burhanan said. “Trey is very intense and very emotional. Sometimes it’ll help him and sometimes it can hinder him. I saw a lot of times the frustration he was going through, it was hindering him, so to me it seemed he was functioning at only 75% or 80%.

“Going to Ohio State, you’re going to see Trey functioning at 100%, and it’s going to be a whole different sense of urgency. Everything’s going to be at a high level. I don’t think that’s going to happen — I know that’s going to happen.”

Shackelford believes Sermon has 2,000-yard potential.

“I know that he wants to be the marquee guy,” he said. “I know that he’s a great teammate. He’s an easy kid to coach. He’s a true blessing, man.

“He’s got a great mama, comes from a good home. If somebody told me they’d give me 100 bucks to say one bad thing about him, I’d be out the money because he’s just really a true character kid and a helluva talent.”

If he’s as good as advertised, one of the most glaring question marks about the 2020 Buckeyes could be answered as definitively as Fields solved the quarterback issue a year ago.

https://www.buckeyextra.com/sports/20200324/those-who-know-trey-sermon-say-running-back-will-fulfill-his-potential-with-ohio-state-football-team

• Like 1

We definitely could use a bell cow RB to pair with Gibson. Ideally, one that has some explosion to his game and can also catch the ball. 

Also, we are winning tonight. McLaurin, Gibson and Smith are all playing, the Eagles are sitting everyone with any injury, and Jim Schwartz announced that he’s leaving the Eagles. We will be drafting at 19 or later. 

11 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

We definitely could use a bell cow RB to pair with Gibson. Ideally, one that has some explosion to his game and can also catch the ball. 

Also, we are winning tonight. McLaurin, Gibson and Smith are all playing, the Eagles are sitting everyone with any injury, and Jim Schwartz announced that he’s leaving the Eagles. We will be drafting at 19 or later. 

Holy ****. Schwartz is leaving the eagles? Why?

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Holy ****. Schwartz is leaving the eagles? Why?

After the game.  His contract is expiring, so technically they are not firing him.  He said he’ll take a year off and contemplate retirement.  Nobody was listening to his no hat rule and now he is sad.

Just now, Ball Security said:

After the game.  His contract is expiring, so technically they are not firing him.  He said he’ll take a year off and contemplate retirement.  Nobody was listening to his no hat rule and now he is sad.

No hat rule?

I was a huge fan of his and wanted him to be our coach years ago. Great DC!

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

No hat rule?

I was a huge fan of his and wanted him to be our coach years ago. Great DC!

He’s been talking about a “no hat” rule this week.  Meaning he doesn’t want the Football Team to win on his field and put on the division championship hats.  It’s hokey, but I guess the guys who have been called up from the practice squad dig it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

What are your feelings on the Ohio TEs yesterday (Ferrell and I forget the other). Did they shine because they’re good, Fields was good or clemson’s secondary was atrocious?

The other one was Ruckert.  I'll try to find some of those plays again, but I thought it looked like broken coverages.  The Clemson zones were losing the tight ends and letting the run free or suffering from very late rotations.  Part of that could be the coverages were caught up watching the QB and overplaying the scramble/run option.

They weren't hard throws and certainly weren't hard routes and catches to make, but I think it's good quarterbacking from Fields because he took what the defense gave him.  He had time in his pocket and went through his reads to find those broken coverages and happened to get major chunk yardage from doing so.  The other thing is his run threat probably warped some of those coverages to help those tight ends run free like that.  I don't really think their big games was a demonstration of the quality of their TEs though.  They were either getting left alone or had super easy match ups.

Also give credit to Ryan Day and his staff for identifying a major weakness in Clemson's defense and coming up with a good plan for exploiting that chink in the armor.  That is a fantastic coaching staff.

And finally give credit to the OSU OL for dominating the LoS against a super talented but pretty inexperienced Clemson DL.  That was the key to victory.  The run game was dynamic and Fields had a great pocket and it got the play action game humming.  That OL handled its business and they are beginning to remind me of that awesome OL Kumar Murray played behind at OU.  Gives them a real chance to hang a bunch of points on Bama and win that game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

We will be picking 19 or later. Najee Harris, OT, Zaven Collins, or maybe even Jaylen Waddle could make sense there. A CB if they fall. 

I still need to watch the IOLs, but Wyatt Davis is pretty interesting to me.

I think Darrisaw and Collins will go before 19.  I see Collins as an even more gifted version of Tremaine Edmunds, and I think he went mid teens.  Darrisaw is the tackle I would want, but tackles that aren't that flawed tend to populate the top ten.

I think Najee will be there, but the player I want the most at 19 is DeVonta Smith.  I'm blown away by him, and for some reason I have this feeling he is going to be there.

9 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

His stride allows him to get up the seem efficiently enough to get the separation he needs with that big frame, and he can move ok if he's allowed to gather a head of steam. He's got some sneaky fluidity too. I think he mitigates his poor acceleration enough to give him a chance to be a very good TE2. Always good to have a guy that contributes in the run game and can hurt a defense if they don't pay any attention to him in the pass game. I'll take him all day in the 4th round. 

I think he could end up going much lower than that because of his speed.  I could see him running over 5 seconds in the 40 and put him outside a draftable threshold for lots of teams.  That's going to be a really critical drill time for him in particular.

If I were picking a day three TE, I would prefer to go for an athlete in order to have a high upside project to work on.  I'd definitely prefer Brant Kuithe over him if he declares.  Otherwise I would just wait and take someone like Noah Grey at the end of the draft.  Not the blocker than Kolar is, but a better athlete and his hands are elite. I would value flexibility and receiving talent over blocking in a TE, especially in a back up.  Otherwise I think he'll have trouble getting snaps.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I still need to watch the IOLs, but Wyatt Davis is pretty interesting to me.

I think Darrisaw and Collins will go before 19.  I see Collins as an even more gifted version of Tremaine Edmunds, and I think he went mid teens.  Darrisaw is the tackle I would want, but tackles that aren't that flawed tend to populate the top ten.

I think Najee will be there, but the player I want the most at 19 is DeVonta Smith.  I'm blown away by him, and for some reason I have this feeling he is going to be there.

If we resign Scherff, I don't see IOL as a viable selection.  We just resigned Chase, are going to pay big money for RG, and Schweitzer is serviceable.  Plus, we have have Charles and Ismael as backups.  LT is definitely a need, but I don't want to reach for a LT (I'd certainly take Sewell, Slater, or Darisow) to pass on Najee or Waddle (figure he's the 4th skill position guy behind Chase, Pitts, and Smith).

Yeah, I think Collins is destined to be gone before our pick.  I think he goes to NE.  He's the PERFECT LB for that system.  I just don't see Smith falling to the late teens early 20s.  Sure, I could see Chase and Pitts going above him (as skill guys), but he's at least the 3rd skill guy in the draft.  Too much production (last year and this year) to pass on him.  

Edited by mhd24

33 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

If we resign Scherff, I don't see IOL as a viable selection.  We just resigned Chase, are going to pay big money for RG, and Schweitzer is serviceable.  Plus, we have have Charles and Ismael as backups.  LT is definitely a need, but I don't want to reach for a LT (I'd certainly take Sewell, Slater, or Darisow) to pass on Najee or Waddle (figure he's the 4th skill position guy behind Chase, Pitts, and Smith).

Yeah, I think Collins is destined to be gone before our pick.  I think he goes to NE.  He's the PERFECT LB for that system.  I just don't see Smith falling to the late teens early 20s.  Sure, I could see Chase and Pitts going above him (as skill guys), but he's at least the 3rd skill guy in the draft.  Too much production (last year and this year) to pass on him.  

You have to keep BPA as your guidepost at the end of the day, because making draft choices based on your present day cap allocation by position is putting too many eggs in one basket.  I haven't seriously looked at Wyatt Davis or any of the IOLs yet so this is hypothetical, but if one of them were graded as the clear BPA at 19 and I passed on them for a different position because of the contract money I give out to Roullier and Scherff, I'm going to really regret passing on him if one of those guys gets hurt or doesn't work out.  If this were the top ten where there might be several elite options at different positions, then that consideration can have more weight.  But at 19, I think we'll get some pretty big differences in grade tiering because it's that range where a leftover tier one or tier two player might still be on the board.  As long as I don't already have so many great players at the position that they would block an early draft pick from playing on his rookie deal, then I'll go BPA over weighting position.

So the way I'm kind of approaching 19 (or wherever we end up picking) is just to figure out who I like the most between X, Y, and Z player on a one to one comparison without thinking about their position.  I'm still not there yet, other than I am pretty sure I know I like DeVonta Smith the best.  If he's available at 19, I can't see any realistic scenario where someone else would be BPA.  But I'm still figuring out a hierarchy between Waddle, Darrisaw, Cosmi, Collins, Harris, etc.  Maybe some of the DBs too.

You're probably right about Smith's draft range--if we can see how good he is, then NFL teams can too.  But WR draft ranges have been very unpredictable the past few years, I'm definitely not ruling him being available in that range out.  If he measures 175-180 and runs ~4.5, he's going to be available at 19.  Waddle might still get drafted in front of him because of how fast he is.

33 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

You're probably right about Smith's draft range--if we can see how good he is, then NFL teams can too.  But WR draft ranges have been very unpredictable the past few years, I'm definitely not ruling him being available in that range out.  If he measures 175-180 and runs ~4.5, he's going to be available at 19.  Waddle might still get drafted in front of him because of how fast he is.

I imagine the Giants, Houston, Bears and Lions will all be targeting a receiver early. May not be a priority but I’m not sure Smith makes it to 19.

I’m just thinking out loud but anyone else thinking taking the best offensive weapon available is a solid idea if we don’t go QB? If we sign a WR in the offseason and potentially have a pay a QB that already hinders the cap and that’s without signing our guys that need deals like Darby and Scherff. We obviously need another weapon 

14 minutes ago, max21 said:

I’m just thinking out loud but anyone else thinking taking the best offensive weapon available is a solid idea if we don’t go QB? If we sign a WR in the offseason and potentially have a pay a QB that already hinders the cap and that’s without signing our guys that need deals like Darby and Scherff. We obviously need another weapon 

I think FA is gonna really dictate what we do in the draft. I expect we’re going to be major players in the offseason much like how like Miami was last year. I expect us to go offense heavy in FA and defense heavy in draft. 

• Like 1