Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

If we resign Scherff, I don't see IOL as a viable selection.  We just resigned Chase, are going to pay big money for RG, and Schweitzer is serviceable.  Plus, we have have Charles and Ismael as backups.  LT is definitely a need, but I don't want to reach for a LT (I'd certainly take Sewell, Slater, or Darisow) to pass on Najee or Waddle (figure he's the 4th skill position guy behind Chase, Pitts, and Smith).

Charles is the big unknown.  Is the knee going to be a perennial issue or is it a one-time issue from the original injury?  Rivera said that Charles' talent is obvious.  If he's good to go, does he start at LT or LG?  Unfortunately, we won't know until after the preseason.  Fortunately, the team has Lucas to fill in at the swing tackle for another year and possibly longer if they want to extend his contract.  I think the ranking for a Guard would have to be significantly higher than other positions for the team to go BPA. 

I just had a vision of Sean Taylor getting to play in this defense....could you imagine? I doubt there's anything close to Taylor in the draft but if there's a game wrecking safety when we pick that's who I want. I want the Dallas WR's to feel our safeties the way T.O. did when he was there and had to deal with Taylor. 

1 hour ago, actorguy1 said:

I like both of those lists. But I would include Tylan Wallace in my top 10. I love the guy. He has had average QB play and still puts up respectable numbers. They could not do anything while he was injured. Yes. His injury history is a concern. But the guy is a beast.  

3 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I just had a vision of Sean Taylor getting to play in this defense....could you imagine? I doubt there's anything close to Taylor in the draft but if there's a game wrecking safety when we pick that's who I want. I want the Dallas WR's to feel our safeties the way T.O. did when he was there and had to deal with Taylor. 

Now put London Fletcher at MLB. We could go 12-4 scoring like 10 points a game lol.

• Haha 2

We have a real need for a bellcow back, a receiver, some linemen need to be in the fold and a QB. Not in that order...

I'd say 1) QB, 2) Bellcow, 3) Receiver, 4) Linemen (depending on Scherff's return or not)

Defensively we need a linebacker. I think Curl might be able to play FS if they insist on Collins returning.

2 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Welp...

Looks like we gotta trade up pretty high if we want a quality QB in this draft..

But congrats to us on that hard earned division winning game?

I’ll take the division win. Winning the division and playing in the playoffs is excellent symbolism. And there is tremendous depth in this draft. I don’t think we were going to get a top 2 QB regardless. And I think we have the same odds to snag Lance now as we did before.

I don’t think Wilson would have been available to us, either.

4 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Welp...

Looks like we gotta trade up pretty high if we want a quality QB in this draft..

This win really changed our future imo. We've gotta trade for Matt Stafford or pray Dallas doesn't sign Dak and we sign him. After next week we'll probably all wonder if this win was worth it. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 3

Just now, KDawg said:

I’ll take the division win. Winning the division and playing in the playoffs is excellent symbolism. And there is tremendous depth in this draft. I don’t think we were going to get a top 2 QB regardless. And I think we have the same odds to snag Lance now as we did before.

I don’t think Wilson would have been available to us, either.

Yeah, we basically lost the ability to get one of Pitts, Chase, or Smith.  LT, Waddle, or Najee are my targets at 19

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

We have a real need for a bellcow back, a receiver, some linemen need to be in the fold and a QB. Not in that order...

I'd say 1) QB, 2) Bellcow, 3) Receiver, 4) Linemen (depending on Scherff's return or not)

Defensively we need a linebacker. I think Curl might be able to play FS if they insist on Collins returning.

I was thinking about that with Curl as well. WE is special out there and they are not going to be able dump Collins contract so he will be back. This would allow them to focus on an ILB. OLB CB on D.

I am always in favor of a bruising back! 

3 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

This win really changed our future imo. We've gotta trade for Matt Stafford or pray Dallas doesn't sign Dak and we sign him. After next week we'll probably all wonder if this win was worth it. 

I could see the Cowboys letting Dak go. Bringing back Dalton and using their 1st rounder on a QB. That would be much better for their cap situation.

Then focusing on their D via the rest of the draft.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

We have options. But an aggressive play has to be made to address the QB position..

• Like 1

So, now the focus turns to the 19th best player in the country or the thirty-second ;)

Given the number of holes, I'm okay with that. I bet one of a good receiver, linebacker, guard, or safety falls to 19. As for QB, I'd probably be looking at the best QB I could get in the second or third rounds. I think we'd be picking scraps in the first and that has not worked out for us. If a QB miraculously falls like a Rogers or Mahomes... sure, but otherwise, find that 2nd round gem who can be coached up into a starter.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Burgold said:

So, now the focus turns to the 19th best player in the country or the thirty-second ;)

Given the number of holes, I'm okay with that. I bet one of a good receiver, linebacker, guard, or safety falls to 19. As for QB, I'd probably be looking at the best QB I could get in the second or third rounds. I think we'd be picking scraps in the first and that has not worked out for us. If a QB miraculously falls like a Rogers or Mahomes... sure, but otherwise, find that 2nd round gem who can be coached up into a starter.

I really feel like Lance is that dude that could fall... but he won’t. Teams are taking QBs fast and furiously.

Fields may go 1 to Jacksonville if they get Urban. 

The QB that may be available that I really like is Shame Buechele from SMU.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CRobi21 said:

We have options. But an aggressive play has to be made to address the QB position..

The soul crushing part of this is that our QB may be in the 2021 Draft. It is a really difficult thought to hold on to. I’d like to see something done, though. I am more comfortable with Allen than many, though he isn’t a long term guy. He’s a bridge and a long term back up type from what we’ve seen so far... maybe he can surprise us but that’s bonus material.

The way to get around the QB, though, is a strong running game and an even better D. And I think we may have an easier time building the team that way. Draft a bellcow somewhere in the first 2 rounds. Shore up the OL (even re-signing Scherff and a middle of the road tackle type would help) and get a linebacker. 

I think Curl is going to play FS next year and Collins will be the SS. There’s no way Curl goes to the bench and, as rough as it is and and poorly as he’s been, I’m more comfortable with Collins in the secondary than I am Reaves/Apke. Everett is... okay I guess.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I was thinking about that with Curl as well. WE is special out there and they are not going to be able dump Collins contract so he will be back. This would allow them to focus on an ILB. OLB CB on D.

I am always in favor of a bruising back! 

I could see the Cowboys letting Dak go. Bringing back Dalton and using their 1st rounder on a QB. That would be much better for their cap situation.

Then focusing on their D via the rest of the draft.

Dallas has to franchise Dak, use the their pick on an elite player and try to shoot the moon. There's no way they don't try 1 more year. Likewise, I don't think Stafford is available this year. 

I think we should invest heavily in the draft and intelligently in FA for 1 more year. And next year, I think Dak and or Stafford will actually be available. 

2 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Dallas has to franchise Dak, use the their pick on an elite player and try to shoot the moon. There's no way they don't try 1 more year. Likewise, I don't think Stafford is available this year. 

I think we should invest heavily in the draft and intelligently in FA for 1 more year. And next year, I think Dak and or Stafford will actually be available. 

I think there is going to be a few surprise names available to us at QB this offseason. But I don’t think it’s going to be Stafford.

I do think there’s a chance Dak is available, and for the right price (read: not 30M) he could be a great option even off the injury. But I’m talking guys we haven’t been talking about...

Tua? Though I have a feeling Miami goes after Najee... a running back would improve them big time.

Something along those lines.

I’d **** a brick of Rodgers became available, though I doubt it. 

Watson? Again, I doubt it. But I think someone we aren’t talking about much is going to come available.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I think there is going to be a few surprise names available to us at QB this offseason. But I don’t think it’s going to be Stafford.

I do think there’s a chance Dak is available, and for the right price (read: not 30M) he could be a great option even off the injury. But I’m talking guys we haven’t been talking about...

Tua? Though I have a feeling Miami goes after Najee... a running back would improve them big time.

Something along those lines.

I’d **** a brick of Rodgers became available, though I doubt it. 

Watson? Again, I doubt it. But I think someone we aren’t talking about much is going to come available.

Maybe a big time QB becomes available. But I feel like with one offseason, we can shore up enough needs that the following year, we won't have a bunch of holes if we trade draft capital for a veteran QB or to move up and select a franchise caliber guy. 

I honestly wouldn't be against trading back with our 1st rounder, such that we have two 1sts next year. We need to do some intelligent positioning. In any case, between FA and the draft, a LB, WR, FS, OT, RB and TE should be achievable. And that would leave us with a pretty balanced and dynamic roster. 

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Though I have a feeling Miami goes after Najee... a running back would improve them big time.

Ugh. I didn't realize Miami picks right before us, at 18. They could definitely go Najee. 

1 minute ago, Anselmheifer said:

Maybe a big time QB becomes available. But I feel like with one offseason, we can shore up enough needs that the following year, we won't have a bunch of holes if we trade draft capital for a veteran QB or to move up and select a franchise caliber guy. 

I honestly wouldn't be against trading back with our 1st rounder, such that we have two 1sts next year. We need to do some intelligent positioning. In any case, between FA and the draft, a LB, WR, FS, OT, RB and TE should be achievable. And that would leave us with a pretty balanced and dynamic roster. 

Ive said it a few times: I think the key is to draft a guy that is available beyond the first (Shane Buechele is my guy right now in that role) and shore up the D and running game. 

Najee in the first (I think he’s gone by our pick) or one of the UNC dudes (not Etienne. He is skilled but he isn’t a bellcow. We don’t need another version of the two backs we have).

Buechele in the second or third.

I think there will be good LBs/OTs available in the 2/3 range as well. There will be lots of options for us. But I’d hang the hat on D and a running game and see what Kyle Allen can do with that roster while we develop a guy or prime ourselves for a big move next offseason.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CRobi21 said:

Welp...

As a Team fan for almost 50 years, I have to admit I didn't wake up in a great mood knowing they could have been drafting #10 in the first round.  They would have had a real shot at getting the third or fourth best QB prospect or some other significant talent at a position of need.

Since Washington is in the playoffs, I would like to see a win against Tampa Bay or a close, competitive loss to feel like losing the #10 pick was worth it.  Winning a putrid division with a 7-9 record doesn't do it for me, especially with such a dreadful bottom three offense.

Nevertheless, CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Edited by cakmoney61