Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

Dallas has to franchise Dak, use the their pick on an elite player and try to shoot the moon. There's no way they don't try 1 more year. Likewise, I don't think Stafford is available this year. 

I think we should invest heavily in the draft and intelligently in FA for 1 more year. And next year, I think Dak and or Stafford will actually be available. 

While they have talked positively of bringing Dak back, they never expected to be picking as high as they are. They will look hard at Lawrence, Fields and Wilson knowing they would have them under a rookie deal for 5 years. They have a hell of a lot of other big contracts to pay out and players to be signed.

So you think Washington goes with Allen for another year without a prospect? While I understand your point of building the team more this year, that's hard to swallow.

This team is not going to waste a pick on Najee. It is clear that Scott Turner’s offense isn’t built on bellcow backs and he sees screens and dumpoffs as extensions of the run game. We are fine with Gibson and McKissic.

Remember there are some guys thought of as 2nd round picks now who will start to fly up draft boards and be 1st round guys by the time the draft comes around.

Check this guy out:

I really think he’s a mid round guy that could develop. He’s my second tier guy.

1 minute ago, method man said:

This team is not going to waste a pick on Najee. It is clear that Scott Turner’s offense isn’t built on bellcow backs and he sees screens and dumpoffs as extensions of the run game. We are fine with Gibson and McKissic.

Remember there are some guys thought of as 2nd round picks now who will start to fly up draft boards and be 1st round guys by the time the draft comes around.

It wouldn’t be a wasted pick. It would be a smart one. But to each their own.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

While they have talked positively of bringing Dak back, they never expected to be picking as high as they are. They will look hard at Lawrence, Fields and Wilson knowing they would have them under a rookie deal for 5 years. They have a hell of a lot of other big contracts to pay out and players to be signed.

So you think Washington goes with Allen for another year without a prospect? While I understand your point of building the team more this year, that's hard to swallow.

I really hope to make the trade for Stafford or another proven vet. That way, you don’t have to waste a Day 2 pick on Ridder, Newman or some other guy with a low probability of making it

Edited by method man

10 minutes ago, method man said:

I really hope to make the trade for Stafford or another proven vet. That way, you don’t have to waste a Day 2 pick on Ridder, Newman or some other guy with a low probability of making it

I didn’t realize that Detroit is picking 7th when I made the comment about Stafford. Maybe they would take a 1st and 3rd for Stafford and then try to move up for Fields or Wilson. 

There should be a lot of good talent available at 19. I think picking later sets us back more in the following rounds. 

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Tua? Though I have a feeling Miami goes after Najee... a running back would improve them big time.

If Tua becomes available, we have to go get him.  That is our best young QB option IMO.

Unfortunately, we're going to have to react to what other teams do and be quick and shrewd about picking from the scraps.  And we're going to have to be smart and get this decision right for once.  If we don't make a smart decision at QB this off-season then we will be making a desperate one shortly after.

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If Tua becomes available, we have to go get him.  That is our best young QB option IMO.

Unfortunately, we're going to have to react to what other teams do and be quick and shrewd about picking from the scraps.  And we're going to have to be smart and get this decision right for once.  If we don't make a smart decision at QB this off-season then we will be making a desperate one shortly after.

They have a VERY interesting decision to make.  Its basically Zach Wilson/Justin Fields vs Tua/Penei Sewell.  Do they trade down to a team that wants a QB?  

4 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I didn’t realize that Detroit is picking 7th when I made the comment about Stafford. Maybe they would take a 1st and 3rd for Stafford and then try to move up for Fields or Wilson. 

There should be a lot of good talent available at 19. I think picking later sets us back more in the following rounds. 

That is too rich for Stafford.  I think you wait to see if any of the top ten teams with vets pick Wilson/Fields and then make the trade after.  And try and structure the trade around pick + player.  Settle or Ioannidis will have trade value.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Yeah I think the main hope would be that they hire a youngish coach, not an older (more win now type) like Marvin Lewis.  And they fall in love with one of the prospects at 3 and want to trade up and thereby would be helped to have another first rounder for trade ammunition.  

Right now, Stafford would be the one I'd want among all the rumored veterans who might be on the market.  Not because I think he's elite.  He isn't elite.  But when it comes to QBs, you rarely get a shot to pick among Michelin Star restaurants.  Stafford is as close as I think we might get.  Doubting he hits the trade market but its not crazy that he would. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

That is too rich for Stafford.  I think you wait to see if any of the top ten teams with vets pick Wilson/Fields and then make the trade after.  And try and structure the trade around pick + player.  Settle or Ioannidis will have trade value.

I don't think its going to be that complicated if we are just talking about those two QBs.  I think the Jets will take one of the two -- probably Fields. 

Being from Florida, I know the Dolphins probably better than any team aside from ours.  I think they resign Fitzpatrick and bring back Tua.  But if not they'd try to trade that pick for a bounty.  They are zealots these days about rebulding the team via a zillion draft picks.  

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I think the main hope would be that they hire a youngish coach, not an older (more win now type) like Marvin Lewis.  And they fall in love with one of the prospects at 3 and want to trade up and thereby would be helped to have another first rounder for trade ammunition.  

Right now, Stafford would be the one I'd want among all the rumored veterans who might be on the market.  Not because I think he's elite.  He isn't elite.  But when it comes to QBs, you rarely get a shot to pick among Michelin Star restaurants.  Stafford is as close as I think we might get.  Doubting he hits the trade market but its not crazy that he would. 

I think Lance falls to them.  The question is if they like him enough to pull the trigger.  I think they can get a 1st from a team for Stafford (think Indy is ideal).

Right now, I have:

1). Jax-Lawrence

2).  Nyj-Fields

3). Mia-Chase

4). Atl-Wilson

5). Cin-Sewell

6). Phi-Smith

7). Det-Lance (They pretty much have to go Lance)

2 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

SIP, any chance you post the final PFF grades for the offense and defense?

I'll do it but I doubt its up yet.  Usually its late morning/early afternoon on Monday. 

1 minute ago, mhd24 said:

I think Lance falls to them.  The question is if they like him enough to pull the trigger.  I think they can get a 1st from a team for Stafford (think Indy is ideal).

Right now, I have:

1). Jax-Lawrence

2).  Nyj-Fields

3). Mia-Chase

4). Atl-Wilson

5). Cin-Sewell

6). Phi-Smith

7). Det-Lance (They pretty much have to go Lance)

I didn't factor Lance in that post because I think taking Lance almost guarantees they double down on Stafford for one more season. 

7 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

They have a VERY interesting decision to make.  Its basically Zach Wilson/Justin Fields vs Tua/Penei Sewell.  Do they trade down to a team that wants a QB?  

They are crazy if they give up on Tua for Wilson or Fields.  100% they should pick Sewell or Chase or trade down.  But they aren't desperate at any offensive position.  They have Austin Jackson and Robert Hunt at OT.  Davante Parker at WR.  Tua at QB.  They can basically do whatever they want and get better.

Right now I'd put money the Dolphins don't trade Tua and don't stay at 3.  They think they've discovered the Holy Grail of a quick rebuild which is going nuts to amass draft picks -- young-cheap-talent.

If I had to guess right now.

Most likely bet:  trade down

A distant second:  stay at 3 and take Zach Wilson or Fields if he falls

A distant third:  stay at 3 and go BPA

My wish list for possible realistic guys for us in the first:

Trey Lance

DeVonta Smith (who is a stretch to be available as late as we’re picking but I’m hoping Chase and Waddle go ahead of him and push him back) or Chase (same as above)

Najee Harris

I don’t think we have a shot at any of the other top guys at this point. Parsons, Fields, Lawrence, Wilson, Chase, Sewell are all likely long gone.

Surtain may be there but is he worth that spot? Rivera is traditionally a plug and play corner guy and I think we need to get Darby back. I was wrong about Darby. I thought he’d be okay but not CB 1/2 worthy. He has been.

If Jacksonville gets Urban I don’t think there’s a shot Fields isn’t picked first.

Edited by KDawg

Here is my first mock of the year:

1). Jax-Lawrence (slam dunk)

2). Nyj-Fields (Becomes even more cemented if he balls out in the title game)

3). Mia (from Houston)-Chase (Thought about Wilson here, but they need skill guys to help Tua)

4). Atl-Wilson (Time to get a QB for life after Ryan.  Wilson will sit for at least a year)

5). Cin-Sewell (If he's there, slam dunk)

6). Phi-Smith (They tanked as much as they could.  I think they take either Smith or Chase.  They don't value LBs, so no Parsons here)

7). Det-Lance (Depends on how they view Stafford)

8).  Car-Parsons (Thought about Pitts here, but no QB worthy to take.  Can see them trading up honestly)

9). Den-Slater (They resigned Bolles.  Slater can play anywhere on the o-line.  Sleeper Stafford team)

10). Dallas-Surtain (CB is a HUGE need)

11).  Nyg-Pitts (Engram stinks and drops too many passes)

12). SF-Payne (Need an edge rusher opposite Bosa)

13). Lac-Darisow (have some old o-lineman like Pouncey and Bulaga)

14). Min-Collins (BPA.  Must improve the defense)

15). NE-Mac Jones (Maybe Bill likes him)

16). AZ-Farley (Peterson is on his last legs)

17). LV-JOK (just take the best defender available)

18). Mia-Harris (Ugh, but he's a PERFECT fit there)

19). WAS-Waddle (I'd figure its between Waddle and Cosmi here)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I think Indy is going to get Carson Wentz.  If Atl drafts Wilson then Ryan becomes the target, if Dallas drafts him, then Dak becomes the target, etc.

All of the teams with vet qbs drafting top ten have serious needs on their DL.  If they pick QB prospects, then we need to structure our trades around our surplus of DL talent.  Trades like Jon Allen for Matt Ryan, or Settle/Ioannidis + pick (not a first) for Stafford.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

They are crazy if they give up on Tua for Wilson or Fields.  100% they should pick Sewell or Chase or trade down.  But they aren't desperate at any offensive position.  They have Austin Jackson and Robert Hunt at OT.  Davante Parker at WR.  Tua at QB.  They can basically do whatever they want and get better.

Yeah, was perusing their message board.  Apparently they had to simplify the offense because it was designed for Fitzpatrick.  I think they take Chase (see my mock) or trade down, but I think they take Najee for sure at their own pick.

Here is one of Miami's sports writers this morning.  I don't agree with a couple of his points.  And I doubt they get three first rounders for the pick.  But I do think they'd have an itch to trade down. 

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-ss-prem-dolphins-q-a-draft-pick-from-houston-20210101-avy3vm5t3bbx5d43eihmislsee-story.html

That top-five selection is a premium asset, probably the most valuable thing this franchise has right now, and Miami might be able to turn it into multiple first-round selections if there’s a handful of teams interested in landing Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields, BYU quarterback Zach Wilson or North Dakota State quarterback Trey Lance, who are three of the four quarterbacks expected to go in the first round.

The Dolphins could create a bidding war from a team trying to land their preferred quarterbacks, and a trade down could set the franchise up for years to come. I think Miami could get three first-round picks for it.

But Miami should strongly consider selecting one of those quarterbacks themselves and having him compete with Tua Tagovailoa.

While I firmly believe Tagovailoa will become a top-10 quarterback in time, there’s no harm in having two quarterbacks selected in the first round on your roster and having them compete with each other.

Quarterback will indeed be a position of need this offseason if Ryan Fitzpatrick doesn’t return, and I feel it’s wise to have two young quarterbacks with the same style of play compete.

The San Diego Chargers took that approach when they had Drew Brees and selecting Philip Rivers three years later. That situation worked out well for them, and the New Orleans Saints. You can always trade the lessor quarterbacks, and we don’t know if Tagovailoa’s durability issues will surface again. Why can’t two first-round quarterbacks work in Miami, even if the quarterbacks are only one year apart?

The goal should be the leave the draft with a premiere player, and if Miami’s evaluators have a quarterback rated as a top-five talent in this draft class pull the trigger.

The Dolphins can add offensive and defensive linemen, receivers, linebackers, pass rushers and a tailback with their other draft selections, or via free agency.

The goal with that top-five pick should be to change the trajectory of this franchise by adding a player who can set the franchise up for success for a decade.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think Indy is going to get Carson Wentz.  If Atl drafts Wilson then Ryan becomes the target, if Dallas drafts him, then Dak becomes the target, etc.

All of the teams with vet qbs drafting top ten have serious needs on their DL.  If they pick QB prospects, then we need to structure our trades around our surplus of DL talent.  Trades like Jon Allen for Matt Ryan, or Settle/Ioannidis + pick (not a first) for Stafford.

Atl can't trade Ryan.  They are in cap hell.  Ryan just signed an extension recently and a trade would destroy their cap.  They are already 24 million above.  Ryan is even harder to trade (from a cap perspective than Wentz).  Plus, he's 36 and its not like Atl didn't give him weapons.  He's had a top 5 group of skill guys his whole career pretty much.  I'd take him if he was a FA.

51 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Here is my first mock of the year:

1). Jax-Lawrence (slam dunk)

2). Nyj-Fields (Becomes even more cemented if he balls out in the title game)

3). Mia (from Houston)-Chase (Thought about Wilson here, but they need skill guys to help Tua)

4). Atl-Wilson (Time to get a QB for life after Ryan.  Wilson will sit for at least a year)

5). Cin-Sewell (If he's there, slam dunk)

6). Phi-Smith (They tanked as much as they could.  I think they take either Smith or Chase.  They don't value LBs, so no Parsons here)

7). Det-Lance (Depends on how they view Stafford)

8).  Car-Parsons (Thought about Pitts here, but no QB worthy to take.  Can see them trading up honestly)

9). Den-Slater (They resigned Bolles.  Slater can play anywhere on the o-line.  Sleeper Stafford team)

10). Dallas-Surtain (CB is a HUGE need)

11).  Nyg-Pitts (Engram stinks and drops too many passes)

12). SF-Payne (Need an edge rusher opposite Bosa)

13). Lac-Darisow (have some old o-lineman like Pouncey and Bulaga)

14). Min-Collins (BPA.  Must improve the defense)

15). NE-Mac Jones (Maybe Bill likes him)

16). AZ-Farley (Peterson is on his last legs)

17). LV-JOK (just take the best defender available)

18). Mia-Harris (Ugh, but he's a PERFECT fit there)

19). WAS-Waddle (I'd figure its between Waddle and Cosmi here)

Depends on who Jacksonville’s HC is... I’m going to go on the assumption it’s Meyer.

1- Jags - Justin Fields

2- Jets- Trevor Lawrence

3- Miami- Jamar Chase

4- Atlanta- Penei Sewell

5- Cincy- DeVonta Smith (swap with Chase if he’s there)

6- Philly- Micah Parsons

7- Detroit- Zach Wilson

8- Carolina- Trey Lance

9- Denver- Rashawn Slater

10- Dallas- Gregory Rosseau

11- NYG- Jaylen Waddle

12- San Fran- Patrick Surtain

13- Chargers - Kyle Pitts

14- Minnesota- Christian Barmore

15- New England- Receiver to be named later

16- Arizona- Zaven Collins

17- Oakland- Wyatt Davis 

18- Miami- Najee Harris

I wouldn’t discount Philly going QB either. They are a salary cap mess. This was Roseman after they picked Hurts. The Wentz days are over. Top 6 pick, you should not discount QB. Surprise choice would be them targeting Lance, viewing him as a 2022 fallback option if Hurts struggles. I really don’t think they can afford an anywhere near decent veteran QB for a couple of seasons.

“Quarterback is the most important position in sports,” Eagles executive vice president and general manager Howie Roseman said. “We have shown how we feel about Carson by our actions, by the amount of picks we put into him, and we showed it by the contract extension. We believe this is the guy to lead us to our next Super Bowl championship. But for better or worse, we are quarterback developers. We want to be a quarterback factory.”

Just now, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I wouldn’t discount Philly going QB either. They are a salary cap mess. This was Roseman after they picked Hurts. The Wentz days are over. Top 6 pick, you should not discount QB. Surprise choice would be them targeting Lance, viewing him as a 2022 fallback option if Hurts struggles. I really don’t think they can afford an anywhere near decent veteran QB for a couple of seasons.

“Quarterback is the most important position in sports,” Eagles executive vice president and general manager Howie Roseman said. “We have shown how we feel about Carson by our actions, by the amount of picks we put into him, and we showed it by the contract extension. We believe this is the guy to lead us to our next Super Bowl championship. But for better or worse, we are quarterback developers. We want to be a quarterback factory.”

I’d agree if Fields or Lawrence were there. I’m not sure they go QB if it’s Wilson. But that’s certainly an option.

26 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Depends on who Jacksonville’s HC is... I’m going to go on the assumption it’s Meyer.

1- Jags - Justin Fields

2- Jets- Trevor Lawrence

3- Miami- Jamar Chase

4- Atlanta- Penei Sewell

5- Cincy- DeVonta Smith (swap with Chase if he’s there)

6- Philly- Micah Parsons

7- Detroit- Zach Wilson

8- Carolina- Trey Lance

9- Denver- Rashawn Slater

10- Dallas- Gregory Rosseau

11- NYG- Jaylen Waddle

12- San Fran- Patrick Surtain

13- Chargers - Kyle Pitts

14- Minnesota- Christian Barmore

15- New England- Receiver to be named later

16- Arizona- Zaven Collins

17- Oakland- Wyatt Davis 

18- Miami- Najee Harris

I could see it going this way. I think Caleb Farley will probably be top 15. 

If things break this way, maybe give me Darrisaw. 

Also, I second your call for a work horse back.