Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Favorite songs from the 90s?

ThePackisback

18 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

The 90s also gave us the genius that is Beck (and Pharrell). 

Also Jackyl and Trixter.

On a serious note. Cool decade. Had the hair bands and big arena rock starting off the decade. People forget how big Bon Jovi, Skid Row, Poison, Def Leppard, etc. were at the beginning of the decade. Then the grunge movement to nu-metal, plus the awful alt-pop stuff like Matchbox 20. Then there was the southern rock influenced side of rock for a short period of time like the Black Crowes, Pride and Glory, Cry of Love, etc. Throw in some Dee-Lite retro-ish stuff and then the mini-swing movement, rock and pop was all over the place. Throw in the rap and hip hop evolution and revolution, it was a really diverse decade. Obviously some great acts like PJ, AIC, Notorious BIG, Tupac, etc. and then some awful stuff like the boy bands and pop acts. However, that drek happens every decade. 

No, I do not think it was the last great decade for music. There are still fantastic bands playing today, you just have to look harder for them because of how the musical landscape has changed since Napster. Anyways, here are some songs and bands that i was really into in the '90's during my teens.

Pantera - It's hard to pick one. Cowboys from Hell through Reinventing the Steal were all awesome. I picked the song that I thought groove the most and had the strongest lyrics. I was really confident in myself at that time and I loved this song - Regular People (Conceit)

Alice in Chains - Another band where it is really hard to pick a song. I have loved all their stuff from Facelift through their latest Rainier Fog. But if I am forced to pick, I would have a few songs from the '90's - Angry Chair, Sludge Factory, Sea of Sorrow, Brush Away, and Rain When I Die

Down - Love all of their stuff. My favorite song of the '90's was Stone the Crow

Blind Melon - I loved all three of their albums. I think Shannon Hoon is one of the most underrated singers. I really wished he lived longer. He had so much more to tell. I thought Soup was way underrated. Favorite songs are: St. Andrews Fall, Skinned, Change, Toes Across the Floor, Sleepyhouse, Drive and Vernie (Vern was the name of a wonderful black lab I had, this song will always be one that speaks to me, "If I had a heart I would want it to be like Vernie's"),

Megadeth - Loved all their albums from Killing is My Business through Countdown to Extinction. My favorite album from them was Rust in Peace. Lucretia and Holy Wars were awesome. I tried learning the solos, but I'm not much of a lead player, definitely can't play like that.

Sepultura - Another band I loved several albums of. From Schizophrenia to Chaos A.D. - I think through all of those years my favorite is Refuse/Resist. I really liked the whole Chaos A.D. album.

Slayer - Loved them from the '80's through the '90's - Favorite song from the 90's was War Ensemble.

Ministry - Only ever liked Psalm 69. I really don't like their other stuff. Favorite songs are Scarecrow, Just One Fix and Psalm 69

Marilyn Manson - I used to enjoy his first 4 albums, but I don't listen to him anymore. Favorite two albums were Portrait of an American Family and Antichrist Superstar. Favorite songs are Antichrist Superstar, Dogma, Cake & Sodomy, and Get Your Gun

Morbid Angel - I was a humongous fan in the early '90's about 2005. Favorite albums through were Covenant and Formulas Fatal to Flesh. Favorite songs were God of Emptiness, Rapture, Dominate, Where the Slime Live,  Heaving Earth, Invocation of the Continual One

Tool - Only ever liked the album Aenima, in fact loved this album. Some days I still listen to it. Favorite songs are - Aenima and Hooker with a Penis

Carcass - I first got turned on to them with Heartwork. To Like all their albums though. Favorite song is - Heartwork

Since no one has brought up some of my favorite albums:

Hip hop

Beastie Boys Ill communication and check your head

Tribe calle quest low end theory and midnite marauders

Punk/indie

All of The Jesus Lizards discography

Fugazi Repeater and Red Medicine

Plus this was the decade that electronic music/techno/breaks became a thing

Chemical Brothers Exit Planet Dust

Aphex Twin Richard D James album

Blur - Tender

Blur - The Universal

The Cranberries - Linger

Nirvana - All Apologies

Radiohead - My Iron Lung

Sixousie Sioux and the Banshees - Kiss Them for Me

Belle and Sebastian - Sleep the Clock Around

Oasis - Champagne Supernova

STP - Interstate Love Song

Pearl Jam - Jeremy

The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony

Alanis Morissette - Thank U

BNL - One Week

Garbage - Stupid Girl

Gin Blossoms - Hey Jealousy

Foo Fighters - Everlong

U2 - Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me

Goo Goo Dolls - Name

Smashmouth - Walking on the Sun

Sugar Ray - Fly

The Wallflowers - One Headlight

There's a lot. This is a nice sample of songs i really like from the 90s.

"Would" , "Rotten Apple" Alice in Chains

"Porch" "Evenflow", "Go" Pearl jam

"Lounge Act", "Pay to Play", "Breed" - Nirvana
"Soak the Sin" - Blind Melon
"Angels with Dirty Faces"- Los Lobos
"Park Life",  "Out of Time", "Coffee and TV" - Blur
"Columbia", "Bring it on Down"- Oasis

"Crush with Eyeliner" - REM

"Anenome"- Brian Jonestown Massacre
"3 Strange days" - School of Fish
"Amphetamine" Everclear

"PLeasure Seeker", "Cold Feelings" - Social distortion
"Stop","Mountain Song", ""Jane says", Jane's Addiction
"Wander This world" - Jonny Lang

"14 Black Paintings, " Digging in the Dirt"- Peter Gabriel
"trippin' on a hole in a paper heart", "Vasoline"- Stone Temple Pilot 
"There she Goes"- The La's
"the Ugly Truth" - Matthew Sweet
"Bo's Veranda"- Morphine
"Paranoid Android", "Anyone can Play Guitar", "Subterranean Homesick Alien"- Radiohead
"I Am One", "Bury Me" - Smashing Pumpkins
"Acrobat", U2 
"Dirty Boots", Sugar Kane" - Sonic Youth
the FIRST half of "Rusty Cage" - Soundgarden. (When they slow that song down it loses it. But the first half,, whoa!)

There's a LOT more, but those stand out.
If you use Spotify, "Better Living Through Chemistry" is about 20 hours of stuff I like going back to the 50s on up til now. You're welcome to listen.

~Bang

23 hours ago, Busch1724 said:

Also Jackyl and Trixter.

On a serious note. Cool decade. Had the hair bands and big arena rock starting off the decade. People forget how big Bon Jovi, Skid Row, Poison, Def Leppard, etc. were at the beginning of the decade. Then the grunge movement to nu-metal, plus the awful alt-pop stuff like Matchbox 20. Then there was the southern rock influenced side of rock for a short period of time like the Black Crowes, Pride and Glory, Cry of Love, etc. Throw in some Dee-Lite retro-ish stuff and then the mini-swing movement, rock and pop was all over the place. Throw in the rap and hip hop evolution and revolution, it was a really diverse decade. Obviously some great acts like PJ, AIC, Notorious BIG, Tupac, etc. and then some awful stuff like the boy bands and pop acts. However, that drek happens every decade. 

I'd add country music to this as well.  In the 80's teenagers weren't listening to country music.  Garth Brooks changed that in the 90's when he brought rock aspects to his live shows.  Personally I hated country music but it was huge in my HS.  I'd go as far to say that Garth did as much to kill hair metal as the grunge scene.  I knew a lot of older kids in my neighborhood who went from listening to Ratt and Motley Crue to wearing cowboy hats and listening to Alan Jackson and Travis Tritt.  

On 2/11/2020 at 10:47 AM, PleaseBlitz said:

It started really strong with essentially the birth of both alternative music ousting 80's hair rock, plus the emergence of rap music as mainstream.  Unfortunately it ended with a period where the airwaves were mostly dominated by boy bands/Britney Spears and the rock music was ****ing terrible (Kid Rock, Limp Bizkit, Marilyn Manson). 

I don't think you can say Britney Spears and boy bands displaced alternative rock.  The radio stations that played Smashing Pumpkins were not the same that played Britney Spears and 98 Degrees.   And the people who listened to both, or at least were big fans of both, were rare.  What displaced alternative was the whole pop-punk craze (Blink 182,  Fountains of Wayne, etc.), pop-rock bands like Third Eye Blind, and to some extent nu metal (Korn, Limp Bizkit, Godsmack, etc.)    Modern rock was pretty much dead by the early 2000s - its telling that HFS switched formats to Spanish music in 2002 I believe 

On 2/11/2020 at 11:58 PM, Fan since a Fetus said:

No, I do not think it was the last great decade for music. There are still fantastic bands playing today, you just have to look harder for them because of how the musical landscape has changed since Napster.

this is SO true. 

there is a LOT of good music that has been released since 2000, and a LOT of really good bands have come along. ( I actually think it has been better than the 90s)
if anyone wants some recommendations to prove it, i'll be glad to.
(Course, they will run along my tastes. so if you roll with that, i bet i can show you some stuff you'll probably like...)

~Bang

Archived