Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Favorite songs from the 90s?

ThePackisback

I'm going to answer by only listing songs from bands that didn't really make it out of the 90s as far as impact or being "memorialized" by the mass population. There are a ton of great songs by acts like these but I can only think of so many in the moment. I LOVED these songs...

Stereo MCs- Connected

Matthew Sweet- Girlfriend

Stone Roses- Fool's Gold

Semisonic- Closing Time

The Prodigy- Breathe

Luscious Jackson- Naked Eye

Soul Coughing- Super Bon Bon

Spacehog- in the Meantime

I realize I'm limited to only a few genres here. Forgive me. I wasn't into country or R&B at the time and I left heavy metal behind after Guns and Roses.

14 minutes ago, Chachie said:

Spacehog- in the Meantime

Helmets version was better

I realize I'm limited to only a few genres here. Forgive me. I wasn't into country or R&B at the time and I left heavy metal behind after Guns and Roses.

Guns N' Roses was not really metal, but kind of get your point.  After the early 90s there wasn't a whole lot of good metal, and the format pretty much went as far as it could.  It was telling when MTV cancelled Headbangers Ball in 1996

3 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

And I play Matthew Sweet in my car all the time, love that CD.

Speaking of which...

Now I'm gonna have to go re-purchase that album. Fantastic.

The 90s was also (in my perception) the big start of festival culture. It's not the same now.

4 minutes ago, Chachie said:

Now I'm gonna have to go re-purchase that album. Fantastic.

The 90s was also (in my perception) the big start of festival culture. It's not the same now.

You're right. I bought more beers for people I didn't even know at the 4 Lollapaloozas I went to. Just get together, and be family. We're all going through the same ****, but this is our day off from all that. 

I miss being able to tell the real world to **** off. 

8 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

You're right. I bought more beers for people I didn't even know at the 4 Lollapaloozas I went to. Just get together, and be family. We're all going through the same ****, but this is our day off from all that. 

I miss being able to tell the real world to **** off. 

Also- A big shout out to WHFS radio and their annual festival. HFS was around long before the 1990s but I consider that decade to be their big era and to be the era that pulled me out of the 80s hard rock/metal scene, which had gone so stale. I didn't dig into the 80s new wave/alt rock music until the early 90s and WHFS was responsible for that too. (I was in the Navy during the end of the 80s and was limited to what I could listen to.) Loved that station with all my heart.

I saw the Cranberries mentioned, but I liked their "Memories" song more.

Also, I haven't seen this song from 1990 mentioned, "Freedom" by George Michael.

Others from my high school college days include

"Baby Got Back" by Sir Mix-a-Lot

"Mysterious Ways" by U2

"Mary Jane's Last Dance" - Tom Petty

"Boombastic" - Shaggy

"No Diggity" - Blackstreet

"Let's Talk about Sex" - Salt-N-Pepa

Even though I hate to mention it, I feel like "Macerena" by Los Del Rio belongs on the other side of the ledger for great songs of the 90's.

6 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Remember this, y'all? 

Listen carefully...bad area (or so the radio station people say).

Watch the whole thing. If this is "madness", count me in. All day, with no phones in my face blocking my view. 

{Where the Streets Have No Name VIDEO}

That song came out in 1987, not the 1990s.

• 2 months later...

So...

Props to @Metalhead for this post here:

and also @Spaceman Spiff who I hope listened to it on his ride home that day. I FINALLY listened to that album (Toadies - Rubberneck) this last weekend.

Rubberneck is ****ing ROCK ****ing MUSIC. While @Metalhead said that there was nothing that sounded like it, it reminds me of SO many 90’s artists. Lots of Nirvana and a little bit of The Pixies. Most importantly, it ****ing bangs for like 30 something minutes straight through. LOVE this album.

Sorry it took me so long, but the right frame of mind at the right time and I’m in love with this album.

3 hours ago, Springfield said:

So...

and also @Spaceman Spiff who I hope listened to it on his ride home that day. I FINALLY listened to that album (Toadies - Rubberneck) this last weekend.

Rubberneck is ****ing ROCK ****ing MUSIC. While @Metalhead said that there was nothing that sounded like it, it reminds me of SO many 90’s artists. Lots of Nirvana and a little bit of The Pixies. Most importantly, it ****ing bangs for like 30 something minutes straight through. LOVE this album.

Sorry it took me so long, but the right frame of mind at the right time and I’m in love with this album.

Yeah looking back at my post I am clearly partial to that album lol! It's just a personal fave of mine and will always be with me. I just love the dude's voice, especially his raw yells which have a crackly edge to them. Lol here I go again....

9 hours ago, Springfield said:

So...

That is a fantastic album, for sure.  Glad you liked it!  It was a great suggestion.  I think I'll put it on today.

On 2/20/2020 at 11:29 AM, DCSaints_fan said:

Modern rock was pretty much dead by the early 2000s - its telling that HFS switched formats to Spanish music in 2002 I believe 

Yep, although Damian and some others created WRNR in Annapolis around then that became the new HFS. It was great because I lived very near Annapolis then.

Archived