Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread Vol 2---Read OP For Thread Rules

Jumbo

9 minutes ago, KAOSkins said:

I think the right answer is that Rob Halford sits on Eddie's shoulders and they beat the stuffing outta Kiss.

They were gifted to me this morning by an old friend.  About 25 albums, including several Springsteen and Steve Miller albums!

Yes, we listened to the full Fly Like An Eagle album today.  And yes, I’ll probably never spin the Kiss album.  

But, I thought it rounded out the picture.

• Like 3

Probably not the typical RTT post. But I thought it was curious, but not worthy of a new thread. 

I'm currently taking a statistics class as part of working on my next degree. And I bought a desk today. (Needed a bigger one). And got to spend the afternoon assembling it. 

And while assembling it, I thought of a probability problem. Where the answer was really not what I expected. 

I'm assembling the drawers for my desk. I have a stack of four drawer sides. Two left sides, two right sides. The sides are almost identical. So I'm picking one up, and looking all over the place, to see whether I grabbed a right side or a left side. 

Which gave me a probability question. 

Given a pile of four sides - two left and two right - I grab two at random. 

What are the odds I get a right and a left, first time?  

Spoiler

It's 2/3. 

The first piece I get is guaranteed to be useful. No matter which one I pick, I need one of those. 

When I pick the second piece, there are three pieces remaining. And only one of them is the same side as I already have. 

I really expected the answer to have a four on the bottom.  But not so. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Larry said:

Probably not the typical RTT post. But I thought it was curious, but not worthy of a new thread. 

I'm currently taking a statistics class as part of working on my next degree. And I bought a desk today. (Needed a bigger one). And got to spend the afternoon assembling it. 

And while assembling it, I thought of a probability problem. Where the answer was really not what I expected. 

I'm assembling the drawers for my desk. I have a stack of four drawer sides. Two left sides, two right sides. The sides are almost identical. So I'm picking one up, and looking all over the place, to see whether I grabbed a right side or a left side. 

Hide contents

It's 2/3. 

The first piece I get is guaranteed to be useful. No matter which one I pick, I need one of those. 

When I pick the second piece, there are three pieces remaining. And only one of them is the same side as I already have. 

Who tha **** cares?

• Haha 7

18 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Who tha **** cares?

I apologize for posting something that bothers you so much that simply moving on was impossible for you. And forcing you instead to simply object to the fact that I posted it at all. 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Larry said:

I apologize for posting something that bothers you so much that simply moving on was impossible for you. And forcing you instead to simply object to the fact that I posted it at all. 

Well as long as you're sorry, I'd say everything is fine.

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Larry said:

Reveal hidden contents

It's 2/3. 

This sounds like it could be transformed into a interesting version of the Monty Hall problem (e.g. you don't look at what you grab, but see that one of the boards left on the floor is a right side...should you exchange one of the drawer sides your holding for the other one on the floor).

• Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 8:03 PM, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

The transition of video games giving you "lives" and "continues"...to utilizing gamesaves and checkpoints with an infinite amount of lives, is pretty fascinating to me.  I don't remember thinking much other than, "hey...sweet!" when I first started noticing it.

Yeah, but video games are overall easier today.  Game saves, checkpoints...lives and continues.  I mean, nothing's ever really truly at stake anymore.  8 bit nintendo?  Forget it, you couldn't save ****, maybe had 2 continues depending on the game.  Ninja Gaiden was still a **** to beat even with game genie.  Couldn't ever do it straight up.  Get to the 8th level on Mario 1 and lose all your lives?  Straight back to the beginning homie, your ass is going to 1-1.  **** a checkpoint.

One time like 8 or 9 years ago I was playing one of the Drake's Uncharted games, having a real difficult time completing a jump from one ledge to another.  And I realized there's no punishment here for messing this up and dying a bunch.  It didn't really matter if I made it or not, I'd just get to try again.