Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

4 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

The vaccinations don't prevent you from being a carrier, correct?

Can't think of a vaccination that doesn't.  

That's how "herd immunity" works.  If you're not vaccinated, but everybody else in the world is, then there's nobody to infect you.  

3 minutes ago, Larry said:

That's how "herd immunity" works.  If you're not vaccinated, but everybody else in the world is, then there's nobody to infect you.  

Should have clarified more, there is usually a time period post vaccination where people can still be asymptomattic carriers. Additionally,  since these vaccinations are only 95% effective, at best, the 1 in 20 person would still be at risk. 

1 in 500 New Jerseyans have died from COVID-19 since pandemic began, data shows

New Jersey hit a grim new pandemic milestone last week.

As of Sunday afternoon, the state had logged 17,751 confirmed and probable deaths from COVID-19 since the pandemic. With a population just shy of 9 million people, that amounts to about one death out of every 500 New Jersey residents.

As an international travel and transit hub, New York and New Jersey were hit especially hard at the beginning of the pandemic, meaning a significant share of New Jersey’s deaths occurred in the spring and summer, when states further west were seeing relatively few deaths.

New Jersey is approaching 200 deaths per 100,000 residents since the pandemic began. That death toll is higher than any state in the nation and far above the national rate of 85 deaths per 100,000.

It’s even higher than the cumulative death toll in Belgium, the hardest-hit nation, which has 150.9 deaths per 100,000 residents, according to World Health Organization data.

Put another way: If it were a country, the Garden State would have the highest COVID-19 per capita death toll in the world.

Click on the link for the full article

11 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

Even Trump realizes it's a bad idea.

It also means he'll most likely never get the vaccine. When he says there will be the right time for him to take the vaccine, I believe it like he said he'd release his taxes. 

US administers 1st doses of Pfizer coronavirus vaccine

The rollout of the first coronavirus vaccine began Monday morning as the first doses of the Pfizer medication was administered to health care workers and nursing home staffers.

A critical care nurse from Northwell Long Island Jewish Medical Center was vaccinated at 9:23 a.m. during a livestreamed event with New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo.

A new variant?  Faster spread.   Fabulous.  I wonder if there will be any difference in the efficacy of vaccines on this new variant.

Covid: London to move into tier 3 as infections rise

London, most of Essex and parts of Hertfordshire will move into England’s highest tier of Covid restrictions, Health Secretary Matt Han**** has said.

The areas join tier three at 00:01 GMT on Wednesday, meaning some 34 million people will face the toughest rules.

A new variant of coronavirus has been identified that "may be associated" with the faster spread in southern England, Mr Han**** added.

Pubs and restaurants in tier three must close except for takeaway and delivery.

Also under the rules, sports fans cannot attend events in stadiums, and indoor entertainment venues - such as theatres, bowling alleys and cinemas - must remain shut.

Every time I see people getting vaccinated for this monster of a virus I start crying.   The amount of pent up tension, anxiety, and sadness I have about this is awful.  The end is in sight.  Still a ways to go, but it is out there.

• Like 9

I see there have been a lot of people that didn't get proper treatment for a medical condition because of a fear of going to the doctor or hospital and so we have increased mortality this year, not just due to COVID:

2020 Was Especially Deadly. Covid Wasn’t the Only Culprit.

The year 2020 has been abnormal for mortalities. At least 356,000 more people in the United States have died than usual since the coronavirus pandemic took hold in the country in the spring. But not all of these deaths have been directly linked to Covid-19.

More than a quarter of deaths above normal have been from other causes, including diabetes, Alzheimer’s disease, high blood pressure and pneumonia, according to a New York Times analysis of estimates from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Deaths attributed to other causes above normal

Diabetes

15% above normal

Alzheimer’s disease and dementia

12%

High blood pressure

11%

Pneumonia and flu

11%

Coronary heart disease

6%

Stroke

5%

Sepsis

4%

Kidney failure

1%

Note: Data are from March 15 to Nov. 14. Not all causes are included. Deaths from external causes, such as suicides and drug overdoses, are not available because investigations are still underway in most cases.

Some of these additional deaths may actually have been due to Covid-19, but they could have been undiagnosed or misattributed to other causes.

Many of them are most likely indirectly related to the virus and caused by disruptions from the pandemic, including strains on health care systems, inadequate access to supplies like ventilators or people avoiding hospitals for fear of exposure to the coronavirus.

40,000 extra deaths from diabetes, Alzheimer’s, high blood pressure and pneumonia
Research has shown that people with underlying health conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure and heart disease are particularly vulnerable to severe illness and death if they contract Covid-19.

In several states, deaths attributed to diabetes are at least 20 percent above normal this year.

Prolonged economic stress on families during the pandemic could also be contributing to increased deaths among those with chronic illnesses.

“You end up having to choose between your prescription medications or buying groceries or keeping a roof over your head,” said Steven Woolf, director emeritus of the Center on Society and Health at Virginia Commonwealth University, whose research in JAMA has also shown deaths from other causes to be higher than normal.

At least 10 states have seen deaths from high blood pressure — a common comorbidity like diabetes — rise even higher than the national percentage. These may include deaths from heart failure, kidney failure or stroke.

Many people who die from high blood pressure are also at high risk for severe Covid-19, so some of these deaths could be Covid-19 deaths that are missed, according to Robert Anderson, chief of the mortality statistics branch at the C.D.C.’s National Center for Health Statistics.

Nationwide, deaths from Alzheimer’s disease, which usually affects older adults, are 12 percent above normal this year, with several Southern states seeing larger increases. This could be related to challenges in providing adequate care in nursing homes during the pandemic — deaths in nursing homes account for more than a third of the nation’s total coronavirus toll. The virus may have also aggravated some of these patients’ existing health conditions.

• Sad 1

On 12/13/2020 at 10:26 AM, Califan007 said:

I’m pretty sure I have COVID 😐...taking the test tomorrow a.m. I’ve had intermittent fever the last 3 days, was at its worst Friday night at 2:30 am. Got out of bed to go to the bathroom and couldn’t keep my balance as I walked, felt queasy, had chills, headache, body aches, scratchy throat...after using the bathroom did the kneel-over-the-toilet-in-case-I-get-sick position (I didn’t), then just laid on the bathroom floor. Could barely move or speak.

ok, I fell asleep shaking while writing this lol...I’m in bed writing this on my phone. needless to say a sjitload more happened. Take care of your health, everyone. I’m gonna check to NFL.com and hopefully watch the Giants lose.

HTTWFT

You doing alright?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

My sister will be taking the vaccine after her shift Tuesday night.  She usually has to deal with a couple of covid patients a week.

My brother is getting his today as well.  He's DCFD.

Edited by purbeast

“I keep having to stay on quarantine because someone I’ve been around recently comes in contact with someone. I’ve limited my social circle as much as I can. I don’t know what else to do other than just stay home”

🧐

you’re right. That’s a tough nut to crack....

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Now that people are getting the vaccine, I feel like rewatching I Am Legend.

i keep thinking about how cool it would be if a side effect was a rabies-like reaction that renders everyone mindless and life-threatening like in 'the crazies'

kind of like how we should expect a 2024 gop convention to be

with matt 'buckethead' gaetz battling jim 'the wrestler molester' jordan for the top of the racist-traitor ticket

• Haha 2

Maybe we'll need a new vaccine every year, like with the flu.

New coronavirus strain spreading in U.K. has key mutations, scientists say

British scientists are trying to establish whether the rapid spread in southern England of a new variant of the virus that causes COVID-19 is linked to key mutations they have detected in the strain, they said on Tuesday.

The mutations include changes to the important "spike" protein that the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus uses to infect human cells, a group of scientists tracking the genetics of the virus said, but it is not yet clear whether these are making it more infectious.

"Efforts are under way to confirm whether or not any of these mutations are contributing to increased transmission," the scientists, from the COVID-19 Genomics UK (COG-UK) Consortium, said in a statement. 

• Sad 2

@tshile

It's tough. My family generally hangs with another two families. We have been more distanced and it seems like we got 3-4 days between seeing them.  

Sometimes I go to the office, my daughter does gymnastics, my son was doing basketball until be broke his toe (his team traveled out of county this week for a practice with another squad).  

I am a homebody, but we are all social creatures.  The way I feel about it, "We are fine until we are not."  Our county has very minimal cases and our zip isn't a hotspot.  There were a few events our girl went to with "COVID deniers / ignorers". She felt uncomfortable.  

We are waiting to see if there are negative reactions to the vaccine... 

Moderna Vaccine Found Safe, Effective Before Key FDA Review

Moderna Inc.’s vaccine is safe and effective for preventing Covid-19 in people ages 18 and older, U.S. regulators said, clearing the way for a second shot to quickly gain emergency authorization and add to the country’s sprawling immunization effort.

The Food and Drug Administration’s staff said in a report on Tuesday that the experimental vaccine is 94.1% effective at preventing symptomatic Covid-19, confirming earlier results released by the company.

The report was posted online ahead of a meeting Thursday of agency advisers who will vote whether to recommend authorization before a final FDA decision. The agency doesn’t have to follow the advice of the independent vaccine experts, though it often agrees with its advisory panels. Last week, the FDA authorized a similar vaccine from Pfizer Inc. and BioNTech SE after an advisory panel voted 17-4, with one abstention, to support its authorization.

There were three cases of Bell’s palsy, or temporary facial paralysis on one side, in patient’s who go the vaccine, compared to one such case in the placebo group. The FDA report concluded that current data is “insufficient to determine a causal relationship.”

On 12/14/2020 at 12:19 AM, Larry said:

There's this bit in the article:

There isn’t enough data to know if Moderna’s shot is effective at preventing people from being infected with the coronavirus and not show symptoms, according to the report. People with asymptomatic Covid-19 can still spread the virus. Pfizer’s vaccine also hasn’t been tested to see whether it can halt transmission.