Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

13 minutes ago, Springfield said:

How the hell are you supposed to know if you’re at risk for severe allergic reaction?

Are you allergic to other things?  Have you had allergic reactions in the past?  Have your previous allergic reactions been severe?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, daveakl said:

Are you allergic to other things?  Have you had allergic reactions in the past?  Have your previous allergic reactions been severe?

I’m allergic to bees. But I’m not allergic to the flu vaccine. I get the sniffles in the winter and spring at times but not enough to take allergy medicine.

I don’t think I’m allergic, but the whole thing seems very vague.

13 minutes ago, Springfield said:

How the hell are you supposed to know if you’re at risk for severe allergic reaction?

They asked FDA Commissioner Stephen Hahn this morning if it's basically anybody who has severe enough allergies to carry an Epipen. He didn't directly respond to it but basically said they are working with their UK peeps to further understand the details. 

https://www.today.com/video/fda-commissioner-stephen-hahn-we-need-to-get-to-herd-immunity-97466437881

11 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

They asked FDA Commissioner Stephen Hahn this morning if it's basically anybody who has severe enough allergies to carry an Epipen. He didn't directly respond to it but basically said they are working with their UK peeps to further understand the details. 

https://www.today.com/video/fda-commissioner-stephen-hahn-we-need-to-get-to-herd-immunity-97466437881

That’s cool. I have an epipen for bee stings. I think I’ll still get the vaccine though, cause I think bee venom is the only thing I’m really allergic to... and even that, I can’t say exactly how bad that allergy is and hope I don’t have to find out if you get my drift.

13 hours ago, China said:

New Data Reveal Which Hospitals Are Dangerously Full. Is Yours?

The federal government on Monday released detailed hospital-level data showing the toll COVID-19 is taking on health care facilities, including how many inpatient and ICU beds are available on a weekly basis.

Using an analysis from the University of Minnesota's COVID-19 Hospitalization Tracking Project, NPR has created a tool that allows you to see how your local hospital and your county overall are faring.

(Jump to look-up tool.)

Click on the link for more

Looking at the 'number of daily cover patients' and the '% of inpatient beds used' may not be adding up. The way hospitals determine inpatient beds may skew that. 

It's not good right now, that's for sure

Headed back to Chevy Chase. Definitely not under ideal circumstances, wouldn't be doing it unless it was necessary, but my family needs help. This will be my first time absolutely adhering to social distancing, gonna be weird not being able to hug my mom 😥 Always wearing a mask....these are the times we live in. Gonna be quarantined in the basement watching sports for the majority of my trip home. As long as I get Pines of Rome pizza I'll be good. Planning on gaining 10 pounds minimum.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Headed back to Chevy Chase. Definitely not under ideal circumstances, wouldn't be doing it unless it was necessary, but my family needs help. This will be my first time absolutely adhering to social distancing, gonna be weird not being able to hug my mom 😥 Always wearing a mask....these are the times we live in. Gonna be quarantined in the basement watching sports for the majority of my trip home. As long as I get Pines of Rome pizza I'll be good. Planning on gaining 10 pounds minimum.

Good luck to you...

I haven't had Pines of Rome pizza in 30+ years (in their original spot). Damn, I miss that place.

• Thanks 1

Middle America is still racking up a ton of new coronavirus cases

The Midwest and Great Plains regions, parts of which have already struggled with overwhelmed hospitals, continue to lead the U.S. with the densest concentration of coronavirus cases.

The big picture: With winter approaching — and widespread vaccination still several months away — the virus is spreading with dangerous ease.

By the numbers: Over the past week, Indiana, Rhode Island, South Dakota and Utah racked up an average of at least 100 new cases per day for every 100,000 residents.

Another 16 states saw 75-100 new cases per capita per day.

Too many new infections are sending too many seriously ill patients into hospitals. Almost 105,000 people are hospitalized for coronavirus infections right now.

These infections also are leading to too many deaths — nearly 13,000 in just the past week.

Click on the link for more (including interactive map)

Edited by China

If I'm an employer I make it a mandatory requirement for employment.  

About 1/4 in US won't get coronavirus vaccine, AP poll finds

As states frantically prepare to begin months of vaccinations that could end the pandemic, a new poll finds only about half of Americans are ready to roll up their sleeves when their turn comes.

The survey from The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research shows about a quarter of U.S. adults aren’t sure if they want to get vaccinated against the coronavirus. Roughly another quarter say they won’t.

Many on the fence have safety concerns and want to watch how the initial rollout fares — skepticism that could hinder the campaign against the scourge that has killed nearly 290,000 Americans. Experts estimate at least 70% of the U.S. population needs to be vaccinated to achieve herd immunity, or the point at which enough people are protected that the virus can be held in check.

“Trepidation is a good word. I have a little bit of trepidation towards it,” said Kevin Buck, a 53-year-old former Marine from Eureka, California.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1

Northam just spoke.

Minus my later criticism, I think he did a great job. He hit on everything I've been hearing from medical professionals for a while now. He shared a personal story from a nurse that basically matches every nurse I know's story/thoughts at the moment. I think he did a fabulous job.

Curfew 12A-5A - Um. Ok. what % of the population are we actually expecting this to impact such that it helps? Seems.... inadequate.

Group gatherings limited to 10, down from 25 - .... ok. same as above. i guess I'm just skeptical that the people we need to follow this, will follow this.

Mask mandate - inside everywhere. Outside if you can't maintain distance. Great. See enforcement...

Sports - limitations on spectators. 2 per player, and caps on max per field. Great. Although these parents are some of the absolute worst, so enforcement is an issue. Hopefully that's a sheriff/police responsibility.

Enforcement in general.... about halfway through I sort of laughed it all off as "Ok... great... so how are you going to enforce this other than asking nicely..." and he eventually got to it.

Businesses will have their permits revoked - operating/business/building/occupancy whatever is appropriate - if they are found to not be enforcing the mask mandate. Great!

Individuals will be charged with misdemeanor offenses.  Great

Enforcement will continue to be carried out by the health department. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

They don't have the resources for this. What are you thinking?

We have police and sheriffs everywhere. Make this their job. I realize they have other things to worry about but realistically, EVERYONE has other things to worry about in some way or another right now.

I know they're scared of the backlash but god damnit find your spin and show us you have one. It's not hard, for many towns/counties, to have a person or two be responsible for walking around the businesses and enforcing this.

And seriously shut them the **** down when you find them. Immediately. If they don't get it by now, then shut them down and make them go through hell to open back up.

Idiots.

/rant

• Thanks 1

Not really sure what to ask this. What happens to business that defy state orders. For example in kern county in CA. They are tier purple so gyms are outdoor only with modifications but I know of a couple of chains that are still open indoor. Planet Fitness is one of them. It’s not like they are hiding it. Do they get fined?

1 minute ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Not really sure what to ask this. What happens to business that defy state orders. For example in kern county in CA. They are tier purple so gyms are outdoor only with modifications but I know of a couple of chains that are still open indoor. Planet Fitness is one of them. It’s not like they are hiding it. Do they get fined?

Northam announced today they will be revoking permits. Ie: shutting the physical space down. Continuing to use it becomes and arrestable/finable offense. Individuals can be criminally charged with a misdemeanor 

they’ve already started revoking permits for restaurants for not following the previous rules about occupancy and masks. 

the issue is they’re still making it the health departments responsibility... not a fan... but you can file complaints online. So I guess we’ll see how effective it is. 

Ultimately once business owners see other owners get shut down they will change... start impacting their money for being incredibly stupid and they’ll suddenly figure it out. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Here in NC they've been fining businesses who don't follow the local orders. Most of the fines from what Ive read have been for being over capacity. Think it was something like $100-200 per person. Very miniscule amount imo.

Edited by clietas

8 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

In CA:

Newsletter: Is a business near you ignoring COVID-19 guidelines? How you can step in

Good morning. I’m Taylor Avery, here with the L.A. Times Business section’s weekly newsletter. As California keeps breaking COVID-19 records — and not in the good way — the businesses allowed to stay open are largely required to follow rules to help slow the coronavirus’ spread.

But not all businesses are complying, which can have fatal consequences for their workers and customers.

Customers and bystanders aren’t required to intervene if they see these rules being broken, but since several people have written to The Times to ask what actions they can take, let’s look at the options.

You could start with a relatively low-key move: Ask the manager whether the business is aware of the rules and encourage following them. It might be an honest mistake, since rules vary by jurisdiction and industry — there are statewide guidelines as well as orders and guidance by local governments and health officials — and they have been changing over the course of the pandemic. (Before leveling accusations, make sure you’re up to date on the rules too.)

If the business continues its risky behavior, you can choose to get officials involved. Document the hazard you see. Note the date, time and location, and put together a detailed explanation and/or take photos.

If the business is in the city of Los Angeles, you can report it through the city’s online complaint form.

If the business is in L.A. County, you can report it through the online Environmental Health Online Complaint System. Or you could call (888) 700-9995 or email ehmail@ph.lacounty.gov.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

A friend pointed out that when Northam was getting ready for a push on gun control many county sheriffs signed up to refuse to enforce the laws. As the sheriffs decided, themselves, the laws were unconstitutional. 

so I guess you can’t count on them and need the Health Department. 

a country of stupid we are. 

• Sad 1

How are small businesses supposed to enforce anything i wonder without any assistance?

A teenager in a retail store is supposed to deal with anti-maskers? People scream and yell at kids serving ice cream. I've personally dealt with antimaskers on a regular basis.. (I shut down their nonsense in nano-seconds) But many of them are angry/violent/go off the rails. There was the dollar store security guard that got shot.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mooka said:

How are small businesses supposed to enforce anything i wonder without any assistance?

A teenager in a retail store is supposed to deal with anti-maskers? People scream and yell at kids serving ice cream. I've personally dealt with antimaskers on a regular basis.. (I shut down their nonsense in nano-seconds) But many of them are angry/violent/go off the rails. There was the dollar store security guard that got shot.

Isn't this always the case? Every establishment has to enforce rules without there being a cop on-site. There are regulations all of us adhere to (shoes required, no outside food allowed, etc.).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Isn't this always the case? Every establishment has to enforce rules without there being a cop on-site. There are regulations all of us adhere to (shoes required, no outside food allowed, etc.).  

But most of those rules do not have organized propaganda outfits conditioning people to believe that resisting them is their patriotic duty.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mooka said:

I see how what I wrote reads like that. 

for clarification my opinion on this is that businesses won’t be held liable for customers. People have been killed and businesses were told to stop enforcing it because of that. 

I believe as far as customers go you simply ask them to leave and then call the police for trespassing. There’s videos of this sort of thing on YouTube. 

what I’m talking about and what I believe Northam is talking about, is offices. Because around here everyone things because they’re in their own office they don’t want to wear masks. None of my clients wear masks. Some tell me it’s offensive and take it off. What I tell them is that I will not remove my mask, and if they’re not ok with that I will leave. Ultimately they need me, I certainly don’t need them, I have more work that I can wrap my head around.

when it comes to bars and restaurants it’s different. They’re already shutting them down for letting people sit at the bar, not forcing masks, and bring over capacity limits under the new regulations. 

but no they’re not going to shut down a retail establishment unless it can be shown they’re encouraging it or not doing anything about it. Ultimately they’re sipppsed to kick them out and report them for trespassing if they refuse. At that point it’s a law enforcement issue to deal with. 

• Like 2

China flight attendants advised to wear diapers for Covid protection

As the coronavirus pandemic rages on, transportation officials around the world have been looking for ways to keep passengers and crew safe on board planes.

On November 25, the Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC) released new guidelines for the country's airline industry, which it oversees.

The document, titled Technical Guidelines for Epidemic Prevention and Control for Airlines, Sixth Edition, contains advice about the best hygiene practices to carry out on aircraft and in airports.

But one of those suggestions -- that personnel like flight attendants wear disposable diapers so they don't need to use the bathroom -- has raised some eyebrows.

A section on PPE advises cabin crew on flights to and from high-risk countries to wear "medical masks, double-layer disposable medical gloves, goggles, disposable hats, disposable protective clothing, and disposable shoe covers."

The next sentence reads: "It is recommended that cabin crew members wear disposable diapers and avoid using the lavatories barring special circumstances to avoid infection risks."

• Confused 1