Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

GSU researchers say new drug completely suppresses COVID-19 transmission

ATLANTA — Researchers at Georgia State University say they have discovered a new antiviral drug that completely suppresses transmission of COVID-19 within 24 hours.

The drug, called Molnupiravir (MK-4482/EIDD-2801), is taken orally as a pill.

Channel 2′s Tom Regan was at GSU, where he talked to Dr. Richard Plemper, the lead on the study.

“This is the first demonstration of an orally available drug to rapidly block SARS-CoV-2 transmission,” Plemper said. “MK-4482/EIDD-2801 could be game-changing.”

Plemper said the drug rapidly shuts down the replication of the virus in the body, derailing it to the point that the person is no longer contagious and can’t spread to other people.

Researchers said the drug can also inhibit COVID-19 patients from getting severely ill.

“From our animal model data, the drug will reduce the likelihood that a patient progresses to severe disease from viral pneumonia to potentially lethal consequences of COVID-19, so that’s a direct benefit to the patient,” Plemper said.

Plemper said that while the drug is no substitute for a vaccine, it could be very effective in slowing down the spread of the virus until a vaccine is widely distributed next year.

Researchers tested the drugs on ferrets and it is now in human trials.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 4

Why are active COVID-19 cases dropping in North Dakota? The answer's not that simple

There's no singular explanation for the state's drop in active cases, state epidemiologist Grace Njau said, but a combination of mask policies and late adoption of virus mitigation measures likely led to the recent good fortune. 

35962119_1606952858562.png

Gov. Newsom announces new, regional stay-at-home order in California

Gov. Gavin Newsom announced a new, regional stay-at-home order Thursday as an "emergency brake" to curb the rampant spread of COVID-19 in California.

The state is being broken into five regions: Northern California, Greater Sacramento, Bay Area, San Joaquin Valley and Southern California. (See below for where your county lands.) When the region's ICU hospital capacity falls below 15% capacity, the new stay-at-home order is triggered for a period of at least three weeks.

No regions are immediately affected, but current projections show all regions except the Bay Area meeting that dire threshold in the next few days. The Bay Area is currently projected to drop below 15% ICU capacity later this month.

When the stay-at-home order is triggered, bars, wineries, nail salons, hair salons and barbershops, and other personal care services will need to close. Private gatherings of any size will be prohibited.

b46.jpg

Inside the cutthroat bidding war for Covid-19 nurses

In March, Claire Tripeny was watching her dream job fall apart. She’d been working as an intensive care nurse at St. Anthony Hospital in Lakewood, Colorado, and loved it, despite the mediocre pay typical for the region. But when Covid-19 hit, that calculation changed.

She remembers her employers telling her and her colleagues to “suck it up” as they struggled to care for six patients each and patched their protective gear with tape until it fully fell apart. The $800 or so a week she took home no longer felt worth it.

“I was not sleeping and having the most anxiety in my life,” said Tripeny. “I’m like, ‘I’m gonna go where my skills are needed and I can be guaranteed that I have the protection I need.’”

In April, she packed her bags for a two-month contract in then-Covid hot spot New Jersey, as part of what she called a “mass exodus” of nurses leaving the suburban Denver hospital to become traveling nurses. Her new pay? About $5,200 a week, and with a contract that required adequate protective gear.

Months later, the offerings—and the stakes—are even higher for nurses willing to move. In Sioux Falls, South Dakota, nurses can make more than $6,200 a week. A recent posting for a job in Fargo, North Dakota, offered more than $8,000 a week. Some can get as much as $10,000.

Parents find out their children were supposed to be quarantined after the fact

COBB COUNTY, Ga - Some Cobb County parents are worried and concerned after getting a letter from their school that their child has been exposed to COVID-19. They were told to quarantine over the Thanksgiving break, but they didn't get the letter until after the break was over.

The letter to some parents of children at East Cobb Middle School was dated November 30, which is the day parents received it. In bold letters, it states "Your child was identified as a close contact to someone diagnosed with COVID-19".

No one wants to read that, but parents said what is even more concerning, are the dates the children were told to quarantine. The letter states children should quarantine from November 19 through December 3. But again, parents didn't receive the letter until November 30.

• Sad 1

Marvin J. Farr Obituary

Dr. Marvin James Farr, 81, of Scott City, Kan., passed away Dec. 1, 2020, in isolation at Park Lane Nursing Home. He was preceded in death by more than 260,000 Americans infected with covid-19. He died in a room not his own, being cared for by people dressed in confusing and frightening ways. He died with covid-19, and his final days were harder, scarier and lonelier than necessary. He was not surrounded by friends and family.

Marvin was born May 23, 1939 to Jim and Dorothy Farr of Modoc, Kan. He was born into an America recovering from the Great Depression and about to face World War 2, times of loss and sacrifice difficult for most of us to imagine. Americans would be asked to ration essential supplies and send their children around the world to fight and die in wars of unfathomable destruction. He died in a world where many of his fellow Americans refuse to wear a piece of cloth on their face to protect one another.

Marvin was a farmer and a veterinarian. He graduated from Kansas State University in 1968. His careers filled his life with an understanding of the science of life: how to nurture it, how to sustain it, and the myriad ways that life can go wrong. As a young man he debated between studying mortuary or veterinary science. He chose life over death. The science that guided his professional life has been disparaged and abandoned by so many of the same people who depended on his knowledge to care for their animals and to raise their food.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, China said:

Parents find out their children were supposed to be quarantined after the fact

COBB COUNTY, Ga - Some Cobb County parents are worried and concerned after getting a letter from their school that their child has been exposed to COVID-19. They were told to quarantine over the Thanksgiving break, but they didn't get the letter until after the break was over.

The letter to some parents of children at East Cobb Middle School was dated November 30, which is the day parents received it. In bold letters, it states "Your child was identified as a close contact to someone diagnosed with COVID-19".

No one wants to read that, but parents said what is even more concerning, are the dates the children were told to quarantine. The letter states children should quarantine from November 19 through December 3. But again, parents didn't receive the letter until November 30.

I swear. This place is a wasteland. 

25 minutes ago, visionary said:

Jesus, I just stared at this graphic for a full minute before registering it was a video (thought it was a screen grab or something).  Anyway, I was just sitting here thinking “ok, this isn’t great, but at least there’s not a ton of brown”.  Then I hit play.

We’re so effed.

Edited by skinny21