Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

59 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

cant have weddings, go to movie theaters, go to funerals, go to amusement parks, visit other countries, go to church ect.

A friend of mine is in the military and can’t leave base to see his family in a different state.

Just because you arnt impacted by the lockdown measures doesn’t mean they aren’t real or significantly restrictive for some people.

im not suggesting that none of it is necessary, but you seem to be suggesting the restrictions aren’t more than a nuisance. Not the case...

Good post 

To me it's seemed like for a long time a large portion of the "less concerned with Covid" group has been ignored or wrongly classified. There are many who 1) believe it exists, 2) understand that it's highly contagious, 3) are perfectly fine wearing a mask or being respectful of social distancing...but also 1) are comfortable leaving their home with the mentioned precautions, 2) understand that there is a risk they could catch it, 3) also understand that their likelihood for survival if infected is very, very high, and 4) would be responsible if they caught it. 

Some of the posts paint everyone as not believing it's a thing unless they catch it and then suddenly pivoting into "woe is me" mode. If I caught it because I got married this summer or went to the beach this fall, I'd accept that it was a consequence of my actions and I wouldn't blame others. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I absolutely agree that there are people like this. But I think even this over-generalizes things and completely ignores where many are on the Covid issue. This casts anyone who isn't completely for a lockdown as a denier or reckless person who thinks the virus is a hoax. That's simply untrue and unfair. 

The lockdown is necessary when it’s out of control. 
a lock down isn’t necessary if people follow proper precautions. 

The people that don’t understand that, are as I described them. 

and it’s not about being fair. It’s about being honest. 

1 minute ago, tshile said:

The lockdown is necessary when it’s out of control. 
a lock down isn’t necessary if people follow proper precautions. 

The people that don’t understand that, are as I described them. 

and it’s not about being fair. It’s about being honest. 

None of what you just wrote addresses anything that you quoted. There is a spectrum of outlooks on this virus and the over-eagerness to always lump every individual into one of two camps is destructive and divisive. 

2 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

cant have weddings, go to movie theaters, go to funerals, go to amusement parks, visit other countries, go to church ect.

News flash.  Diseases spread quickly when large groups of people gather in close proximity for some time.  

The disease does not have a "well, if it's a wedding, that's different" filter.  

2 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

im not suggesting that none of it is necessary, but you seem to be suggesting the restrictions aren’t more than a nuisance. Not the case...

And yes.  not being able to gather a large group of people in a close group for your special event is an inconvenience.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

None of what you just wrote addresses anything that you quoted. There is a spectrum of outlooks on this virus and the over-eagerness to always lump every individual into one of two camps is destructive and divisive. 

It was clarification on your weird posts that I don’t understand. 

who has caught covid here and gone into woe is me mode? I can’t be sure I’ve seen all of them but the ones I recall seeing were strictly informative about what was going on. Including the ones I made about my experience. So which posts did I miss? I’m curious. 

The people that are the problem are as I described. They don’t take precautions. They use dumb arguments about all of it. My favorite being ridiculous cost argument, it’s quite clearly most costly to do things the way we’ve been doing them - which is half assed with a good percentage of the population refusing to even do something as simple as social distance and wear a mask. 

ive lived in lockdown twice now. Once in March when things were very murky. Again in October when my household caught it. 

otherwise life goes on. But life goes on with precautions and understanding of the virus. 

The people who refuse to do that are why we struggle so bad to contain it. We were warned, we didn’t listen, and the results are as the experts predicted. 

Just now, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Understood but the point was that we *are* essentially living in a lockdown environment. 

Outside of restrictions on large gatherings and things that facilitate reckless behavior (in regards to the virus) like drinking, no we really aren’t. The school situation is a weird caveat to it but again that’s more about the number of people than anything else. 

we’re such sissies. We can’t take a crisis seriously and take basic precautions because we want to hang out closely with lots of people? That’s too hard to endure? Even with the clear as day ramifications on the economy and population? How pathetic. 

and if it was such a big deal, then maybe everyone should have taken the advice and directives seriously from the start, then we would have greatly minimized the impact. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tshile said:

otherwise life goes on. But life goes on with precautions and understanding of the virus. 

The people who refuse to do that are why we struggle so bad to contain it. We were warned, we didn’t listen, and the results are as the experts predicted. 

Somzhow we're ****ed up because some wants to act as if virus doesn't exist.

Viruses have always been present.

We thought they were an afterthought.

Well Covid-19 said "Hello World" late last year.

4 minutes ago, Larry said:

Just out of curiosity, how much further do you think it has to get, before it crosses whatever line you're drawing?  

I think we’re there now? I don’t understand the question. Lots of states have started implementing restrictions again in the last two weeks. 

3 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Understood but the point was that we *are* essentially living in a lockdown environment. 

This is what you call "lockdown"?  

I ate in a restaurant today.  Disney World is open for partial business.  Got a haircut last week.  My roommate is going to the gym again.  Few weeks back, she flew to Arizona, so she could take swimming lessons.  

Understood, anecdotal single point unscientific evidence.  But heard an interview with the mayor of El Paso a week or so ago.  Said that his health department had actually been keeping track of where the people who tested positive for Covid, got it from, up until a few weeks ago.  Said he had gone through the last week's data, and slightly over half of the infected people in his city got infected at either a big box retailer, or a dine-in restaurant.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Yea sorry but we aint even close to being "locked down" right now. Unless its different where you are. The only difference I see is people wearing masks at Costco now. 

8 minutes ago, Larry said:

I ate in a restaurant today.  Disney World is open for partial business.  Got a haircut last week.  My roommate is going to the gym again.  Few weeks back, she flew to Arizona, so she could take swimming lessons.  

Understood, anecdotal single point unscientific evidence.  But heard an interview with the mayor of El Paso a week or so ago.  Said that his health department had actually been keeping track of where the people who tested positive for Covid, got it from, up until a few weeks ago.  Said he had gone through the last week's data, and slightly over half of the infected people in his city got infected at either a big box retailer, or a dine-in restaurant.  

2 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Yea sorry but we aint even close to being "locked down" right now. Unless its different where you are. The only difference I see is people wearing masks at Costco now. 

Good point...bad choice of words. Not a lockdown but there are still huge restrictions that don't allow people to live their lives. It was originally a counter to the idea that "put on a mask" is the only regulation. Gatherings, etc. are restricted. 

5 minutes ago, Larry said:

I know that there are people who have been living in a true lockdown mode the entire time. Most of them seem to be in the high risk population - elderly and those with certain health issues that place them in the high risk category (like respiratory issues, for example)

otherwise, for the most part, the idea that everyone’s been in lockdown since March is laughable. There have been restrictions. They’re narrow in scope. Size of gatherings is basically it, though you get some related things like bars because alcohol causes people to get a little loose about stuff like this. 

the military is an interesting component but the reality is that the military is different than being a civilian. And they knew that when they signed up. Most of the restrictions I’m aware of are related to distance of travel (50 miles seems to ring a bell), blocking of transfers (which I absolutely get why that sucks), and overseas stuff. But again - they all signed up for that when they signed the papers. They just have a different life than the rest of us. 

outside of that I’m only aware of people who are well educated on the topic, and have taken a “I’m taking zero chances” mindset. And that’s a personal choice based on being informed that doesn’t pose a threat to anyone, so I’m not gonna take issue with it. 

otherwise.... 

I mentioned a few months ago that I thought we would get to a point where it would make sense to do what ever we can to increase the number of doctors and nurses. In May we did.

As of yesterday, the state of MD has offered to reinstate my wife as a licensed RN because they need more nurses.  We are tempted to have her volunteer, but the issue is the number if hours they need because I work full and the reasons she stopped her nursong profession have only gotten more severe with the needs of our 4 kids distance learning. Still, we see the huge societal need as Christmas looms and numbers spike with future needs likely growing out of control. 

I say all of this living in a metropolitan area that probably has more hospital beds per 1000 people than anywhere in the world, and our free hospital beds are already becoming scarce. 

A dawn with a vaccinated public is within sight, but the saying darkest before the dawn rings true.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Good point...bad choice of words. Not a lockdown but there are still huge restrictions that don't allow people to live their lives.

Only if you grotesquely abuse the phrase "allow people to live their lives".  

(Well, OK, for most people.  Yes, I do get the impression that there are small groups of people, like nursing home residents, who actually are severely restricted.  Although admittedly for good reason.)  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Good point...bad choice of words. Not a lockdown but there are still huge restrictions that don't allow people to live their lives. It was originally a counter to the idea that "put on a mask" is the only regulation. Gatherings, etc. are restricted. 

I’m sorry but this is just so whinny sounding in the content of what is going on. 

we have over 250k deaths supposedly related to this. We have tons of cases of healthy people making it out ok only to have long term health issues that were not quite clear of the extent on.

this has cost tons of money and tons of people’s economic well-being have been completely screwed up over this. 

and you’re chief complaint is that we have too many restrictions because we can’t have large gatherings. 

wow. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, tshile said:

the military is an interesting component but the reality is that the military is different than being a civilian. And they knew that when they signed up. Most of the restrictions I’m aware of are related to distance of travel (50 miles seems to ring a bell), blocking of transfers (which I absolutely get why that sucks), and overseas stuff. But again - they all signed up for that when they signed the papers. They just have a different life than the rest of us. 

Just pointing out that the military (varies on location) has a lot more restrictions than this.

Anyways:

AB42F778-6561-4267-B897-672989411EFE.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Larry said:

News flash.  Diseases spread quickly when large groups of people gather in close proximity for some time.  

The disease does not have a "well, if it's a wedding, that's different" filter.  

And yes.  not being able to gather a large group of people in a close group for your special event is an inconvenience.  

A major inconvenience... A life changing inconvenience...

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

1 hour ago, tshile said:

I’m sorry but this is just so whinny sounding in the content of what is going on. 

we have over 250k deaths supposedly related to this. We have tons of cases of healthy people making it out ok only to have long term health issues that were not quite clear of the extent on.

this has cost tons of money and tons of people’s economic well-being have been completely screwed up over this. 

and you’re chief complaint is that we have too many restrictions because we can’t have large gatherings. 

wow. 

laughing off the restrictions because they have little effect on you is just as egotistical as people who demand they be allowed to ignore the restrictions.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

There is a spectrum of outlooks on this virus and the over-eagerness to always lump every individual into one of two camps is destructive and divisive. 

I can't speak to your situation, but I have yet to meet a person who takes any sort of reasonable position on the relative seriousness of the virus. Its always a variation of "only really old people die from it" and "how many of these supposed 270K people really died from it and not something else?" Sorry, but people's words tend to show their feelings. 

Edited by hail2skins
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tshile said:

wow. 

There wouldn't have to be restrictions if people could police themselves and act appropriately.  But they can't.

So restrictions get handed down and people whine and cry and say it's unfair.  

• Like 3