Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

14 hours ago, tshile said:

The industrial power and will of the United States show cased itself in this pandemic. The story of what went on to get the ppe, ventilators, medical equipment and of course the vaccines is just a marvel. 

Just reading about the RNA being created and put in a lipid cell to take over our cells and create the spike to form antigens to then kill covid is amazing science.  This really is a leap forward in virus vaccine development. (At least my simplified non biochemist understanding of it.)

Edited by HOF44
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, HOF44 said:

Just reading about the RNA being created and put in a lipid cell to take over our cells and create the spike to form antigens to then kill covid is amazing science.  This really is a leap forward in virus vaccine development. (At least my simplified non biochemist understanding of it.)

This tech was in development prior to C19 as a potential therapeutic tool for rare genetic diseases.  I've been involved in a lot of it, and it is super cool.  

In other news, I'm on the covid frontline team today and am calling high risk patients with new positive results.  Multiple conversations with elderly folks who have lost a spouse in the last 2-3 days, and who are now sick (and alone and terrified) themselves.  This might be one of the most heartbreaking days of my medical career.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 15

1 hour ago, Dan T. said:

Was this posted?  Really nice story about how a car crash and an unlikely friendship led to Dolly Parton providing the seed funding that resulted in Moderna's COVID vaccine.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/11/18/dolly-parton-moderna-vaccine-abumrad-covid/

It's been all over MSNBC.  That woman is an absolute hero. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, visionary said:

The precedent here is very dangerous and will put us all at risk.  

I know when this all started, some of the restrictions made me very nervous with the precedent being set of what the government could limit.  I’m not saying this was 100% right.  But I’m not sure it was 100% wrong either.  I don’t know what the right solution is.  Maybe it is the conservative side of me but when I’m torn, I’m usually going to come down on the side of limiting the governments power.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Dan T. said:

Was this posted?  Really nice story about how a car crash and an unlikely friendship led to Dolly Parton providing the seed funding that resulted in Moderna's COVID vaccine.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/11/18/dolly-parton-moderna-vaccine-abumrad-covid/

"Abumrad knew next to nothing about the beloved megastar with big, blond hair..."

Hair.

giphy.gif

The logic of the decision makes no sense and seems extremely problematic in trying to use it in other cases.  

The right to exercise one’s religious beliefs does not overpower the right not to be endangered by the people doing the worshipping.

If a church is holding services where they are setting the church on fire and it keeps spreading to other buildings obviously, that would not be allowed.  The same if a mosque was sending out suicide bombers repeatedly to blow up people in the area.

Edited by visionary
  • Like 1

However, coming soon from our conservative, strict constructionist, Supreme Court, which never ever cherry picks their reasoning to fit their political ideology, . . . . 

The First Amendment clearly grants people the authority to ignore public health laws, and to engage in behavior which is known in advance will likely result in a dozen deaths.  

However, it does not grant exemption from the rules on jaywalking.  

6 minutes ago, redskins59 said:

On the positive side , people who go to these religious  gatherings tend to be conservative...

As soothing as it may be to wish death and hardship on other people, The real damage from such events are from the 2nd, 3rd, and so forth generations of people who are infected by said attendees.  

Drunk drivers don't just kill themselves.  

• Thanks 1

Well guys this is how Trump will **** us for years to come and one of the major problems with the democrat party. They’re ******* that just let the right wing walk all over them.

Their (unrelated) next move is to hold democrats hostage or shut the government down. Watch it happen and watch democrats bend to this.

• Like 1