Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

4 hours ago, tshile said:

what I’m talking about and what I believe Northam is talking about, is offices. Because around here everyone things because they’re in their own office they don’t want to wear masks. None of my clients wear masks. Some tell me it’s offensive and take it off. What I tell them is that I will not remove my mask, and if they’re not ok with that I will leave. Ultimately they need me, I certainly don’t need them, I have more work that I can wrap my head around.

I've definitely noticed any office or warehouse I've been to since Covid; I'm usually the only person wearing a mask.  (unless its open to the public) 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, tshile said:

A friend pointed out that when Northam was getting ready for a push on gun control many county sheriffs signed up to refuse to enforce the laws. As the sheriffs decided, themselves, the laws were unconstitutional. 

so I guess you can’t count on them and need the Health Department. 

a country of stupid we are. 

Yep. Back in June or July when Governor Sisolak issued a statewide mask mandate,pretty much all of the county police/sheriff departments in the state issued almost the same exact statement. 

https://www.washoesheriff.com/outreach/archive/2000081.php

"It would be inappropriate for deputies to criminally enforce Governor Sisolak's mask mandate or social distancing," said Balaam. "Due to the minor nature of the offenses, the potential for negative encounters, and various ways the order could be violated our deputies will instead continue in an educational capacity in partnership with the Washoe County Board of Health."

OSHA is taking the lead in Nevada when it comes to enforcement. 

On 10/13/2020 at 9:29 PM, China said:

Danish government orders death of a million minks due to COVID-19 outbreak

The Danish government has ordered mink farms to cull over 1 million animals due to reported outbreaks of coronavirus among the species, prized for its fur.

The outbreak among the mink population was detected in late June after a COVID-19 patient was linked to a mink farm in North Jutland, the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Foreign Agricultural Service said in a report.

Click on the link for the full article 

On 11/4/2020 at 7:16 PM, China said:

Mink variant of coronavirus spreads to humans in Denmark; full cull planned

A genetic variant of the pandemic coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2, found in mink has spread from the animals to at least 12 people in Denmark, the prime minister said at a press conference Wednesday. The government is now planning to cull all the mink on Danish farms, which are estimated to have between 15 and 17 million of the animals.

“It is very, very serious,” Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen said, according to the Associated Press.

It’s so far unclear how the genetic variation found in infected mink could actually affect humans. Researchers who track genetic variations in SARS-CoV-2 have not yet seen data on the mink strain and cautioned people not to be overly concerned.

Genetic variations naturally occur and accumulate in coronaviruses over time, which is how scientists often track their spread in humans. Since the pandemic began, SARS-CoV-2 does not appear to be mutating particularly quickly, and scientists have found no firm evidence that any particular genetic variant or strain of virus is more dangerous to humans than any others.

Still, Frederiksen said health authorities are worried about the possibility that the mink variant could evade protective immune responses in humans and are planning the cull as a precaution. Specifically, they’re concerned anti-SARS-CoV-2 antibodies people make—either during an infection from a SARS-CoV-2 strain known to be circulating in humans or from a future vaccine based off a strain from humans—may not be able to fight off the mink variant as well.

Decomposing mink in Denmark 'may have contaminated groundwater'

Decomposing mink buried in mass graves in Denmark after being culled because of coronavirus fears may have contaminated the groundwater, local radio has reported, as parliament announced a commission to investigate the government’s actions.

Denmark, the world’s largest exporter of mink fur, announced early last month it would cull up to 15 million mink after discovering a mutated version of the virus that could have jeopardised the effectiveness of future vaccines.

Unable to incinerate such a large number of dead animals at once, authorities buried millions in vast, shallow 2-metre pits in a military training area in West Jutland, from which some recently began emerging as their bodies filled with gases.

Danish media said on Thursday parliament was to launch an inquiry in the affair, with one local radio station, Radio4, reporting that a study for the environmental protection agency had concluded groundwater in the area may already have become polluted and urged authorities to take rapid action.

The agency said this week it did not expect the conclusions of a more wide-ranging survey of the environmental impact of the mass burials sites, which have been placed under 24-hour guard, to be ready before the new year.

The ministry of food, agriculture and fisheries also conceded on Thursday it could not say with certainty where or how 4,700 tonnes – or about 1.5 million – dead mink had been disposed of, state broadcaster Danmarks Radio reported on Thursday.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, China said:

If I'm an employer I make it a mandatory requirement for employment.  

About 1/4 in US won't get coronavirus vaccine, AP poll finds

As states frantically prepare to begin months of vaccinations that could end the pandemic, a new poll finds only about half of Americans are ready to roll up their sleeves when their turn comes.

The survey from The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research shows about a quarter of U.S. adults aren’t sure if they want to get vaccinated against the coronavirus. Roughly another quarter say they won’t.

Many on the fence have safety concerns and want to watch how the initial rollout fares — skepticism that could hinder the campaign against the scourge that has killed nearly 290,000 Americans. Experts estimate at least 70% of the U.S. population needs to be vaccinated to achieve herd immunity, or the point at which enough people are protected that the virus can be held in check.

“Trepidation is a good word. I have a little bit of trepidation towards it,” said Kevin Buck, a 53-year-old former Marine from Eureka, California.

I guess Iowa agrees with me:

Iowa Employers Can Require Workers to Take COVID-19 Vaccination

Some people are still skeptical about getting the vaccine but they could be fired from their job if they don’t get it.

“You know, and the short answer would be, in most cases, yes, there is a strong case for a legal basis to do so,” Drake University Law School Associate Professor Denise Hill said.

Hill said this law goes back to a case in 1905 when there was a smallpox outbreak.

“Public Health could delegate to local authorities the powers to mandate in that case smallpox vaccines, and they even had criminal fines or imprisonment for those who weren’t in compliance,” Hill said.

'A slap in the face': Yuma hospital fires ER doctor for talking about COVID-19 in Arizona

Dr. Cleavon Gilman, a well-known emergency-medicine physician, has been asked not to return to his work at Yuma Regional Medical Center for his social media posts about the severity of the COVID-19 pandemic in Arizona, according to him and his staffing agency.

"What I don't understand about this is I have been advocating for Arizona; I have been calling for a mask mandate, the closure of schools and indoor dining," Gilman told The Arizona Republic. "I did all of this because we are seeing an unprecedented number of cases. This is my third surge — I know how this ends."

The hospital said in a statement late Thursday night that "there has been a misunderstanding" and Gilman is scheduled to work this weekend. "News to me," Gilman tweeted. 

Gilman, who in June moved his fiancé and two kids from New York to work in Yuma near the U.S.-Mexico border and "serve the small community during the pandemic," has not been to work since Nov. 23.

It started on Nov. 22 when Gilman tweeted "Just got to work and was notified there are no more ICU beds in the state of Arizona." 

"What happened to the 175 beds??? We likely don’t have nursing to staff them," he added. The Arizona Department of Health Services at the time reported that 90% of ICU beds were in use.

His tweet received more than 81,000 likes and 30,000 retweets. Gilman said he finished his shift that day "without a problem."

The next morning, Nov. 23, Gilman had just arrived at the hospital when he received a call from the health care staffing company he works for, Envision Healthcare. Envision told him the hospital did not want him to come back to work. 

"They told me it was because of the tweets and I couldn't believe it because that was accurate information I posted to inform the citizens of Arizona," he said. "It is a grave injustice and it's not just happening to me. Doctors everywhere are afraid to speak up."

Gilman was scheduled the following three days but the "hospital did not permit" him to come in, he said. 

"All I know is this hospital is trying to crush my voice, they want to silence me and they want to financially hurt me. This is all so wrong."

Edited by China
  • Sad 4

Because that’s what we needed

further erosion of public trust in government institutions and vaccines

there needs to be a new whitehouse position that gets appointed by some independent third party where the persons job is to follow these people around and hit them on the nose with a rolled up newspaper when they do stupid stuff like this. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Australian clients:

uh we haven’t had a case in four months. Everything is open. We actually just removed the mask mandate

coworker: must be nice to not live in a garbage country, inhabited and run by garbage people

We’re so pathetic. This entire situation has exposed just how immature and pathetic we are as people. It’s just... it’s remarkable. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Springfield said:

Queue Trump taking full credit for its authorization.

Fair or not, we have a long tradition of giving POTUS the credit or blame for everything that happens in the world, during his watch.  

Might not be rational, but it's at least consistent.  

3 hours ago, Larry said:

Fair or not, we have a long tradition of giving POTUS the credit or blame for everything that happens in the world, during his watch.  

Might not be rational, but it's at least consistent.  

WE do. But my point was more that the president would claim it himself rather than waiting for US to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cases have skyrocketed around here, the worst numbers right in our zip code. Overwhelmingly it is being driven by private parties of people that just don't GAF, what do you do about that? Closing bars, restricting restaurants doesn't touch it, just makes it worse because they just do it out of sight. A month ago the wife and I were talking about daily cases climbing back to 150+ after ebbing somewhat, today DE reports 789. And the Thanksgiving surge on top of the surge is going to be joined by IDGAF Xmas surge and the drunk before I drop NY's surge.

We've been doin the 'tine since March, wife's working from home, I have been careful when I do all the trips out, but this **** freaks me out. Even in my neighborhood there are a couple of houses that have people in-n-out constantly, I am at the point of assuming that everyone has it. I'm like not even petting the neighbor's dogs (which is a big deal for me), not going in another house, even talking 10 ft apart and still wearing a mask, etc. You simply cannot be careful for other people when they are blithely indifferent to a plague.

And I am getting exhausted and cranky (-er) and completely fed up with so many people just being petulant, willful children acting out their lil social tantrums.

• Thanks 1