Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

19 minutes ago, Bacon said:

They wish. 

If this virus ends up being as horrible as proposed, there could be a seismic shift in US demographics and distribution of power. This is horrible for the groups you're talking about and Trump is among them. If COVID-19 ends up tanking the economy and wiping out his base, his ass is cooked. 

I don't personally believe it will be that bad, but I think a high level of panic could make a dicey situation highly unfavorable for everyone. 

Three points...and I’ve been drinking.  Fair warning.

1.  Limbaugh is on the record that this is a liberal hoax designed/bio-engineered/whatever by China to tank Trump in November.

2. The markets (stock/real estate/cyber/etc) have been obese for a while now and many have been prepping for the fasting/sell off.  Corona is the trigger.

3. From a strictly pragmatic view, a strong culling of the herd among 75+ year olds right now is not the worst thing that could happen in this country...or any country, for that matter.

*ducks*

Edited by TryTheBeal!

20 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Three points...and I’ve been drinking.  Fair warning.

1.  Limbaugh is on the record that this is a liberal hoax designed/bio-engineered/whatever by China to tank Trump in November.

2. The markets (stock/real estate/cyber/etc) have been obese for a while now and many have been prepping for the fasting/sell off.  Corona is the trigger.

3. From a strictly pragmatic view, a strong culling of the herd among 75+ year olds right now is not the worst thing that could happen in this country...or any country, for that matter.

*ducks*

The psycho trolls at r/TheDonald have been drinking the crazy juice for years now and spitting out that first point over the past month. Many far, far right "thinkers" believe the virus is bio-engineered. I won't touch on that, but don't be surprised if some young voters wind up looking back on COVID-19 fondly despite tens if not hundreds of thousands of fatalities. If things get out of hand, prepare for some stomach-churning political spin. I mean, hell, haven't we all been wanting the Dems to stop playing nice?

Will the end justify the means? Find out in November, if you live to see it!

Edited by Bacon

5 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

*ducks*

We arent talking about a wave here, we're talking about adding to the flu season.  I'll give you that you've been drinking, but we'll both be 75+ eventually, too. 

I know for a fact this will make it to Nigeria, and I'm praying this doesnt wipe out an entire generation of my wife's family I havent meet yet and she hasnt seen since she moved here, including her father, and seperatedly her grandfather (mom's dad) who kept edging her to moving to America. 

Three of my grandparents died in the same summer, one to liver cancer, I cannot overstate how sobering it is to lose an entire generation of your family in the blink of an eye. We need to root against this, theres stuff I wanted to ask them I wasnt mature enough to ask that I will never be able to now, those werent boomers, those were world war 2, great depression generation folks.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

We arent talking about a wave here, we're talking about adding to the flu season.  I'll give you that you've been drinking, but we'll both be 75+ eventually, too. 

I know for a fact this will make it to Nigeria, and I'm praying this doesnt wipe out an entire generation of my wife's family I havent meet yet and she hasnt seen since she moved here, including her father, and seperatedly her grandfather (mom's dad) who kept edging her to moving to America. 

Three of my grandparents died in the same summer, one to live cancer, I cannot overstate how sobering it is to lose an entire generation of your family in the blink of an eye. We need to root against this, theres stuff I wanted to ask them I wasnt mature enough to ask that I will never be able to now, those werent boomers, those were world war 2, great depression generation folks.

I understand where you're coming from (and agree) but I do believe TTB was more hinting at grumpy old white people who are foaming at the mouth to vote for Trump in November.

5 hours ago, FrFan said:

I don't believe this.  Certainly not an expert here but seems to be a simple solution to a quickly growing problem.  Just saw someone from the NIH saying it's going to take awhile before a vaccine is created.

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

42 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I don't believe this.  Certainly not an expert here but seems to be a simple solution to a quickly growing problem.  Just saw someone from the NIH saying it's going to take awhile before a vaccine is created.

https://www.pharmaceutical-technology.com/news/china-favilavir-testing-approval/

The remaining two drugs showing efficacy are anti-malaria drug chloroquine and Gilead’s experimental drug remdesivir.

We're not talking vaccine here of course but just a drug that helps to fight this virus, and it is effective.

Coronavirus: Common Treatment for Malaria Shows Signs of Effectiveness

The results obtained so far on more than 100 patients have shown that chloroquine phosphate was more effective than the treatment received by the comparison group in containing the progression of pneumonia, in improving the state of the lungs, in the patient becomes negative again for the virus and to shorten the duration of the disease ", specify the Chinese researchers.

The short study does not, however, quantify this difference in effectiveness.

"The antiviral and anti-inflammatory capacities of chloroquine could play a role in its potential effectiveness in treating patients suffering from pneumonia caused by Covid-19", continues the article on the study carried out by professors Jianjun Gao, Zhenxue Tian and Xu Yang, from Qingdao University and Qingdao Hospital.

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I understand where you're coming from (and agree) but I do believe TTB was more hinting at grumpy old white people who are foaming at the mouth to vote for Trump in November.

I get that, and him prefacing is keeping me from taking it too much to heart.  Having said that, viruses dont give a damn about politics.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

it is not a solution but rather a possible effective treatment that is readily available....and there are others.

a vaccine is certainly a yr or more away from mass production.

Now back to political hacks wishing us old folk culled from the herd.😴

• Like 3

https://www.sciencealert.com/who-says-a-coronavirus-vaccine-is-18-months-away

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/how-long-will-it-take-to-develop-vaccine-for-coronavirus#Faster-vaccine-development

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/25/business/moderna-coronavirus-vaccine/index.html

Seems like "experts" believe it could take up to 18 months to develop a vaccine, or that it "there’s no guarantee that it will be ready before the end of the current outbreak." This tells me two things.  (1) A vaccine should be available, conservatively, within 18 months, and (2) modern medicine is equipped to deal with this disease must better than in "I am Legend," but not as quickly as Dustin Hoffman did in "Outbreak."

31 minutes ago, kfrankie said:

https://www.sciencealert.com/who-says-a-coronavirus-vaccine-is-18-months-away

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/how-long-will-it-take-to-develop-vaccine-for-coronavirus#Faster-vaccine-development

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/25/business/moderna-coronavirus-vaccine/index.html

Seems like "experts" believe it could take up to 18 months to develop a vaccine, or that it "there’s no guarantee that it will be ready before the end of the current outbreak." This tells me two things.  (1) A vaccine should be available, conservatively, within 18 months, and (2) modern medicine is equipped to deal with this disease must better than in "I am Legend," but not as quickly as Dustin Hoffman did in "Outbreak."

In I am Legend, modern medicine created the disease.  Also, the writers for the movie should have been dragged into the street and beaten for changing the story.

4 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I’m quite surprised that Trump hasn’t used the fear of this thing to drum up support like he does for all the other things that people are irrationally afraid of.

He tried to go the other way.  He tried to announce that it’s no big deal because he’s afraid the economic impact will ruin his re-election.  

11 minutes ago, Destino said:

He tried to go the other way.  He tried to announce that it’s no big deal because he’s afraid the economic impact will ruin his re-election.  

Probably because Fox News or Rush Limbaugh haven’t given him his talking points on how to blame the Dems yet.

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I get that, and him prefacing is keeping me from taking it too much to heart.  Having said that, viruses dont give a damn about politics.  

It wasn’t really political, I was more hinting at the fact that populations top-heavy with elderly tend to get bogged down economically and what-not.  Painting with a very broad brush.  Very morbid, I know.

Much mojo and continued health to your family @Renegade7 and everybody’s family, really.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Probably because Fox News or Rush Limbaugh haven’t given him his talking points on how to blame the Dems yet.

Don’t worry, Tucker Carlson is already spending his nightly news program blaming the spread of this virus on multiculturalism, open borders and political correctness.

1 hour ago, Destino said:

Waiting for one of the candidates to observe that, when a disease that has already killed hundreds is headed this way, Donald Trump (and Medal of Freedom winner Rush Limbaugh) are worried about making sure it doesn't affect the stock market.  

24 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Trump could have done way more. He didn’t want to spook the market. Every single death that happens in the US as a result of the virus is on his hands. He downplayed it and now he owns it. 

Not sure what you think he could have done, that would have been 100% effective, instantly.  

(That's what "Every single death is on his hands" means, you know.)  

Edited by Larry

13 minutes ago, Larry said:

Not sure what you think he could have done, that would have been 100% effective, instantly.  

(That's what "Every single death is on his hands" means, you know.)  

First he could have not decimated the pandemic response team 2 years ago and not cut funding. More immediately, he should have closed all international flights from Korea, Italy in addition to China. Plus anyone having travelled to those countries and Iran. Set the expectation that international travel will cease all together shortly for a sustained period of time. Every person entering the USA must be quarantined for 2 weeks.  

Absent of that, he could for once be honest about the situation and not pretend a vaccine will be ready for mass use immediately or that it’s contained. when people start dying they will blame him. When the social media videos of people gasping for their last breaths while blaming go viral he will be toast. He owns this. He will be digging his political grave at his press conference this afternoon when he downplays it. 

He’s germaphobe and it’s kind of fitting that a virus ends his presidency. It might even end his existence if he gets exposed

to it.

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

This take has not one shred of reality inside of it.

Perception is reality. He will own the blame. His news conference today where he downplays it will be his end. People will want to assign blame and he will get it all.

21 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

More immediately, he should have closed all international flights from Korea, Italy in addition to China.

So, Trump could have eliminated all travel from affected countries, before they were affected?  He could have known in advance, which countries were going to be affected, how?  

And could you tell me where the next one is going to be?  

I was going to ask you if maybe you think that maybe eliminating all travel from an entire country simply because a few people in that country were infected, might me just a teensy bit extreme.  But then I read further in your post.  

21 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Every person entering the USA must be quarantined for 2 weeks.  

Not sure if I'm finding the right statistic, but the US Travel Association's Travel Answer Sheet says:  

International arrivals to the U.S. totaled approximately 80 million in 2018, about half of whom came from overseas.

80 million divided by 365 gives me around 220K international arrivals per day.  

So your point is that every single death is on Trump's hands, because he didn't (on his own authority) order the quarantine of 3 million (220K * 14 days) people (somewhere)?  Just as a precaution?  

19 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

It's unreal the panic this is causing.  Can you imagine if a really deadly disease like this ever broke out???  It would be true insanity.  

You weren't around for AIDS in the 70-80's?

Edited by Larry
  • Thanks 1